HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Jackson's instincts were right (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=587035)

Starsdude 12-23-2008 09:16 PM

Jackson's instincts were right

It was my understanding that Jackson wanted a d-man (Redden?) and after they failed to sign him Hull talked him into Avery. While Redden has disappointed, Jackson was right as I suspect he wondered about the youth and Boucher and Zubie' s health. Too bad this would have been a good team. There is no question this a better team without Avery. Why, who knows? Add a healthy Zubie, Lets and Morrow and a good d-man and this is a top team. One positive is that the youth has stepped up and Neal Niskanen Grossman Erikkson and Brunstrom are players for along time here.

Caseman 12-23-2008 09:20 PM

Redden wasn't the only defenseman in the market. Jackson should have looked at somebody else, though I give Hull most of the blame for the Avery debacle.

________ 12-23-2008 09:30 PM

Why should have Jackson looked at someone else? The other defenseman he wanted was out of price range and I'm assuming they didn't want another third pairing type of defenseman.
The options were very limited.

Caseman 12-23-2008 09:35 PM

I would have at least like to see them try for someone like Orpik, even if there was slim chance of pulling him from Pittsburgh. Anyway, like I said, I blame Hull mostly for Avery. Now we are stuck with Darryl-freaking-Sydor.

BigG44 12-23-2008 09:37 PM

Didn't Orpik re-sign before free agency began?

Caseman 12-23-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG44 (Post 16969257)
Didn't Orpik re-sign before free agency began?

I'm not entirely sure, but I recall it was the first or second day of free agency. Nevertheless, if they couldn't sign someone like him, they should've sat on the cap space. That's on Hull.

Hull Fan 12-23-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseman (Post 16970227)
I'm not entirely sure, but I recall it was the first or second day of free agency. Nevertheless, if they couldn't sign someone like him, they should've sat on the cap space. That's on Hull.

You want to blame Hull for bringing his name up and backing his guy fine. But he got approval from Jackson and Hicks. That's not his screw up alone. Hull may have pushed but he didn't have the final say.

Caseman 12-23-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hull Fan (Post 16970559)
You want to blame Hull for bringing his name up and backing his guy fine. But he got approval from Jackson and Hicks. That's not his screw up alone. Hull may have pushed but he didn't have the final say.

But I'm sure Hull gave them his "reassurance". Doubt they'll trust him ever again or for at least awhile.

piqued 12-24-2008 12:11 AM

They were both wrong.

I draw no confidence from either's FA target.

Kritter471 12-24-2008 12:51 AM

Yup, they were both wrong about the player they wanted to go after.

But Jackson was right to want to upgrade the defense, and it's been really costly that he didn't follow through on that thought to a lesser extent.