HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   "Heartless" Kovalev, why was he named captain? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=587150)

Coldplay 12-24-2008 08:32 AM

"Heartless" Kovalev, why was he named captain?

One journalist's opinion.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/36649194.html

Montreal Canadiens – A heart for the Tin Man

Montreal started out well, but were taken down a notch after taking a pounding from the Boston Bruins in mid-November where they also lost defenceman Mike Komisarek to injury for a month. But the focus should be on enigmatic Alex Kovalev, whose recent dry spell almost took the once vaunted Canadiens’ power play right off the map. Strange that a hockey mercenary like Kovalev would slump in a contract year. Even stranger why this heartless Hab was named interim captain in the absence of injured Saku Koivu.

Another outsider thinking he knows a lot. :help:

hototogisu 12-24-2008 08:35 AM

Embarassing...anybody who calls Kovalev "heartless" knows dick all about him.

Pascal 12-24-2008 08:38 AM

it must be Mike Milbury.

Travis Moen 12-24-2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 16973624)

But... But he is russian :sarcasm:

11Goat11 12-24-2008 08:53 AM

It's sad that people listen to TSN, CBC, and Sportsnet bash "heartless" Kovalev without seeing him play this year. He was in a scoring slump but the effort was there and he couldn't buy a goal. He's still almost at a point per game.

He does have this reputation but a lot has changed since last year after his heart to heart with Gainey. Kovalev has been good for Montreal barring 06/07 where he had injuries and the whole Scamsosoft drama.

Kovalev has skills that make players look silly. He scores big goals and makes people say wow did he just do that every game he plays.

Let the haters hate, most Hab fans know we have a great player in Kovalev and he is not the same guy he was earlier in his career, I hope we re-sign him and he retires a Hab.

Goldthorpe 12-24-2008 09:05 AM

Kovalev is a romantic. I think that's the best way to describe him. He's motivated when things matters, or when he feels like they do. When it's same old same old, he sulks back to his lethargic form. That's why giving him the C works. It gives him a sense of purpose. It's a way for the coach to tell him "you're my best player, act like one". But when he's one star among others, he doesn't play with the same fire anymore.

Maybe we would prefer a robot, but Kovalev won't ever be. He's an artist, and artists have their moods.

Mustafa* 12-24-2008 09:08 AM

Kovalev has the biggest heart on this team, after Koivu. This guy must have had a conversation with Milbury recently. Since last year he has a huge work ethic, never taking an night off, and he thrives on emotions and the fan's reactions.

Myron Gaines* 12-24-2008 09:09 AM

Heartless based on what? Do this people know him? Do this people have access to the dressing room? Have these people ever coached him?

Heartless based on what?

That's what I want to know because I've been hearing the same ******** for 4 ****ing years, only when the guy doesnt have seasons like last year.

Judge Sauer* 12-24-2008 09:13 AM

Well, if Kovy doesn't produce it automatically means he's heartless these days. He's not allowed to have a scoring slump.

Stradale 12-24-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 16973624)

Oh i remember there a lot of member here calling him heartless and POS that was trying to bring the team down when he was slumping.

antoniojr 12-24-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Sauer (Post 16973943)
Well, if Kovy doesn't produce it automatically means he's heartless these days. He's not allowed to have a scoring slump.

bang on.
he may be the only player in the NHL that isn't allowed. No one was asking whats wrong with Crosby when the season started...No one called Ovi heartless when he only scored 1 goal in 10+ games or whatever the hell it was...but Kovy, no, not Kovy. he has to score one or have at least 3 assists everynight. It's unacceptable otherwise. Take the C away from him, please. :sarcasm:

Maverik 12-24-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar (Post 16973907)

Heartless based on what?

He's russian and plays for the Habs = Mindless bashing until he gets fed up.

Kovy :shakehead

Stradale 12-24-2008 09:40 AM

Hes heartless because he's a MACHINE!

A turnover machine.

mcphee 12-24-2008 09:44 AM

Blogging doesn't imply being a journalist.

Ra 12-24-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldthorpe (Post 16973878)
Kovalev is a romantic. I think that's the best way to describe him. He's motivated when things matters, or when he feels like they do. When it's same old same old, he sulks back to his lethargic form. That's why giving him the C works. It gives him a sense of purpose. It's a way for the coach to tell him "you're my best player, act like one". But when he's one star among others, he doesn't play with the same fire anymore.

Maybe we would prefer a robot, but Kovalev won't ever be. He's an artist, and artists have their moods.

Exactly. And I would add that he's not the kind of guy that you can yell at and then expect him to perform since he's pissed.

Anyway, I want him to be a playoff beast this year.

Habs 4 Life 12-24-2008 10:04 AM

Is this from the Russian journalist again?

snakeye 12-24-2008 10:15 AM

I'm willing to bet a lot of money that at least one of the posters in this thread thought that Kovalev was heartless before last season.

All-Star 12-24-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldplay (Post 16973595)
One journalist's opinion.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/36649194.html

Montreal Canadiens – A heart for the Tin Man

Montreal started out well, but were taken down a notch after taking a pounding from the Boston Bruins in mid-November where they also lost defenceman Mike Komisarek to injury for a month. But the focus should be on enigmatic Alex Kovalev, whose recent dry spell almost took the once vaunted Canadiens’ power play right off the map. Strange that a hockey mercenary like Kovalev would slump in a contract year. Even stranger why this heartless Hab was named interim captain in the absence of injured Saku Koivu.

Another outsider thinking he knows a lot. :help:

The bolded part is all the evidence required to know that this guy knows nothing about what he's writing about. Kovalev also slumped in his last contract year. It's why the Habs managed to get him for Balej and a second rounder. High-end playoff mercenaries usually cost a hell of a lot more.

HabsHockey 12-24-2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar (Post 16973907)
Heartless based on what? Do this people know him? Do this people have access to the dressing room? Have these people ever coached him?

Heartless based on what?

That's what I want to know because I've been hearing the same ******** for 4 ****ing years, only when the guy doesnt have seasons like last year.

No one questions his heart, everyone knows Kovy has heart in an out of hockey in Montreal. I'd rather Have Kovy captain over anyone else on the team when Koivu is hurt cause you see him arguing all the time with refs, i love it.

It's his passion and work ethic, or lack there of throughout his career that come to mind.

WeThreeKings 12-24-2008 11:14 AM

Joe Thornton is Tin Man. These ****ers need a clue!

goalchenyuk 12-24-2008 11:16 AM

:laugh:

Newhabsarea has a blogge ?

Hackett 12-24-2008 11:19 AM

I used to believe kovalev was a pouter when things went sour. But I've seen him play enough to believe that its more to do with his mental makeup.

If anything, he's doing too much this year. The more he struggles, the more he tries to do. He starts thinking that only a perfect shot will beat the goalie, he starts making the the extra dangle, he crosses the line when trying to get the puck from the opposition and takes a penalty.

It becomes a deeper and deeper hole the more he struggles... fortunately, it seems like he is getting some more bounces recently, and voila, his game seems to be simplifying a bit.

I will not question his desire to succeed though, he cares.

Joey 12-24-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldthorpe (Post 16973878)

Exactly! Kovalev is one of those great minds in the world, and if you've met one or are one you know you need fuel to kindle your passion, and sometimes forcing your majestic artwork can result in lackluster blunders.

I'm still gonna look back years from now and say Kovalev is the best player I've ever seen in a Habs uniform (I'm 19)

Myron Gaines* 12-24-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 16975188)
Exactly! Kovalev is one of those great minds in the world, and if you've met one or are one you know you need fuel to kindle your passion, and sometimes forcing your majestic artwork can result in lackluster blunders.

I'm still gonna look back years from now and say Kovalev is the best player I've ever seen in a Habs uniform (I'm 19)

Same thing for me.

dutchy29 12-24-2008 11:27 AM

Well sometimes the analysts give Kovy way too much praise and other times they cut him up as being lazy, and I guess overall they have him pegged about right, he is streaky
but still a good fit for 4.5mill.