HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Abby fans rejoyce...Kolzig staying put?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=58753)

txpd 03-05-2004 09:55 AM

Abby fans rejoyce...Kolzig staying put??

Olie Kolzig says things have gone very quiet on his front of late and he thinks that its more likely that he will not be traded. PL rolls the dice with Aebischer. Or is this all a smoke screen?

Tinordi24* 03-05-2004 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd
Olie Kolzig says things have gone very quiet on his front of late and he thinks that its more likely that he will not be traded. PL rolls the dice with Aebischer. Or is this all a smoke screen?

Well dont forget the 2 secret teams that just entered into the bidding...Avs want Caps to pick up part of the contract and that was the hold up.

My sixth sense tells me that Vancouver and Ottawa are testing the waters and see if they can make a sweeter offer in exchange for the Caps picking up some of Kolzigs contract.

Bigfoot 03-05-2004 10:02 AM

Great to hear that Kolzig is staying put,the Avs money is better spent elsewhere. I don't think this is a smokescreen, I think PL is smart shopping this year instead of going for a blockbuster. I can see someone like Irbe being acquired though to back up Abby.

GKJ 03-05-2004 10:05 AM

I can't see the Caps holding on to Kolzig with all the guys they just traded and that defense Kolzig has to play behind. As much as Kolzig is one of those Capital great and great citizen and all that stuff, there is no way he's not wanting out.

Tinordi24* 03-05-2004 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I can't see the Caps holding on to Kolzig with all the guys they just traded and that defense Kolzig has to play behind. As much as Kolzig is one of those Capital great and great citizen and all that stuff, there is no way he's not wanting out.

Well Kolzig's son is autistic and gets specialized care in the DC area and he has stated we wants to finish his career as a Cap just like Bondra did.

Gonchar and Lang said explicitly they dont want to stay for a rebuild.

Kolzig wants to stay and the Caps want to move him but arent going to pick up salary and wont give him away for free. So it is hard to imagine that he is going to move unless someone steps up to McPhee's demands of taking on all the salary AND getting something decent in return (FAT Chance of this happening with the Goalie market the way it is)

Finkle is Einhorn 03-05-2004 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinordi24
Well dont forget the 2 secret teams that just entered into the bidding...Avs want Caps to pick up part of the contract and that was the hold up.

My sixth sense tells me that Vancouver and Ottawa are testing the waters and see if they can make a sweeter offer in exchange for the Caps picking up some of Kolzigs contract.

My sixth sense tells me your sixth sense is wrong.

GKJ 03-05-2004 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinordi24
Well Kolzig's son is autistic and gets specialized care in the DC area and he has stated we wants to finish his career as a Cap just like Bondra did.

This is true, I forgot about that.

But Kolzig goes on the road so much....

txpd 03-05-2004 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Great to hear that Kolzig is staying put,the Avs money is better spent elsewhere. I don't think this is a smokescreen, I think PL is smart shopping this year instead of going for a blockbuster. I can see someone like Irbe being acquired though to back up Abby.

a backup goalie is a waste of time and effort. nobody is going to win the stanley cup with a backup goalie. if the number 1 guys isn't playing well enough then they lose. if the number one guy get hurt for more than a game or two, they lose.

sauve is fine back up. nobody that is sitting on the bench is going to win the cup and any team that needs to use a backup goalie for more than a game or two is going to win the cup.

txpd 03-05-2004 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battle axe
My sixth sense tells me your sixth sense is wrong.

something is wrong with what?

Finkle is Einhorn 03-05-2004 11:01 AM

Quote:

something is wrong with what?

Ottawa and Vancouver sniffing around Kolzig. I just don't see it happening.

Freudian 03-05-2004 11:02 AM

Quote:

It's not Kolzig that is autistic, but his son who doesn't go on the road (I assume). :)

txpd 03-05-2004 11:03 AM

Quote:

Yes, Kolzig goes on the road regular. but his wife and kids don't. the autistic child referred to has a very stable environment that they don't want to mess with.

Kolzig has a $500k payoff if he is ever trade. its not a no trade clause, but it guards against him being easily traded or traded someplace he doesn't want to go.

Kolzig has a summer home in Vancouver where his folks live. But he has commented publically that brian burke can't afford his salary. Ottawa is going no where with Patrick Lalime. But while Ottawa can say they will pick up Bondra's option that is really an empty gesture if there is a lockout next year. Kolzig has two years left on his deal and Ottawa can't carry both Kolzig and Lalime.

Tinordi24* 03-05-2004 11:15 AM

Quote:

Ottawa and Vancouver sniffing around Kolzig. I just don't see it happening.

My sixth sense is never wrong!! Unless of course if it isnt right...

From todays Washington Post

"Colorado's interest in Kolzig has cooled, sources said, because the Avalanche has been unwilling to pick up all of the contract, but league sources said yesterday that two other unidentified clubs have phoned to inquire about the former all-star"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Mar4.html

Well my reasoning is that both Ottawa and Vancouver lack goaltending to win the Cup. I'm not a fan of Lalime or Cloutier and are the biggest weaknesses of their teams. Sure their stats might be good/great but they are playing behind strong teams.

Eitherway I dont think they can afford him but if the Caps pick up some salary (in exchange for either team sweetening the pot with more value) then I can see him going to one of them.

The local papers around here dont throw around rumors with no regard. They seldom do it and when they do the rumors usually have teeth (ie Boston being front runner to the goocher)

Bigfoot 03-05-2004 11:36 AM

Quote:

a backup goalie is a waste of time and effort. nobody is going to win the stanley cup with a backup goalie. if the number 1 guys isn't playing well enough then they lose. if the number one guy get hurt for more than a game or two, they lose.

sauve is fine back up. nobody that is sitting on the bench is going to win the cup and any team that needs to use a backup goalie for more than a game or two is going to win the cup.

I don't think Sauve is ready for the playoffs. Everytime I have seen him play he always gets the Avs in a hole, and this is usually against lesser teams. Case in point: a few weeks back he let in four goals against Edmonton and had to be subbed by Aebischer midway through the game. Irbe, with his playoff experience would be a better insurance policy.

You are right that playoff teams that have to use a backup goalie are pretty much sunk, but I think Irbe gives the Avs a better chance of winning if something were to happen to Aebischer. The Avs have the offense (well not lately) to put points on the board, thus requiring good goaltending not necessarily phenomenal goaltending.

Finkle is Einhorn 03-05-2004 12:06 PM

Quote:

Well my reasoning is that both Ottawa and Vancouver lack goaltending to win the Cup. I'm not a fan of Lalime or Cloutier and are the biggest weaknesses of their teams. Sure their stats might be good/great but they are playing behind strong teams.
Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I have watched almost every Canucks game this year, and Cloutier is *far* from being the biggest weakness of the team. I realize that Cloutier definitely has a stigma about him when it comes to the playoffs, but I think it has been blown vastly out of proportion. Cloutier didn't lose the Minny series for the Canucks last year; the whole team bailed in the last 3 games. Granted, Cloutier didn't steal any of those games, but he certainly wasn't the only one to blame.

That being said, he certainly has something to prove this year. If he does happen to play poorly, then by all means, the criticism will be just.

As for Lalime being the biggest weakness, it is funny how short people's memories are. If the argument goes that Cloutier's regular season doesn't count because he has a poor record in the playoffs, then why does Lalime's regular season performance this year overshadow his playoff performance of year's past?

I have just come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter how well either of these goaltenders play in this year's playoffs, there will always be someone who will say that they benefit from the team in front of them.

eric824 03-05-2004 12:52 PM

I doubt Kolzig gets traded unless (1) a contender's starter gets hurt between now and Tuesday, or (2) the Leafs' worries about Belfour's health turn into panic.
Right now, neither seems likely.

Tinordi24* 03-05-2004 01:16 PM

Quote:

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I have watched almost every Canucks game this year, and Cloutier is *far* from being the biggest weakness of the team. I realize that Cloutier definitely has a stigma about him when it comes to the playoffs, but I think it has been blown vastly out of proportion. Cloutier didn't lose the Minny series for the Canucks last year; the whole team bailed in the last 3 games. Granted, Cloutier didn't steal any of those games, but he certainly wasn't the only one to blame.

That being said, he certainly has something to prove this year. If he does happen to play poorly, then by all means, the criticism will be just.

As for Lalime being the biggest weakness, it is funny how short people's memories are. If the argument goes that Cloutier's regular season doesn't count because he has a poor record in the playoffs, then why does Lalime's regular season performance this year overshadow his playoff performance of year's past?

I have just come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter how well either of these goaltenders play in this year's playoffs, there will always be someone who will say that they benefit from the team in front of them.

Well like you said everyone is entilted to their opinion and mine may not be the best since I dont watch Lalime or Cloutier 50+ times a year.

But I can still form an opinion. Now I dont think Cluotier is awful or even average..same with Lalime. But call me biased but I think Kolzig is superior to either and he has been playing behind an awful defense ever since Mark Tinordi retired.

Cloutier...well I thought he was average against the Wild last year and you cant have an average goalie and expect to go far in the playoffs.

Lalime plays behind what I consider the best defensive team in the league outside of maybe NJ when they are healthy.

Just me but both these teams can seriously benefit from an upgrade in goal..the question is if it will be cost effective for them to do so??

Jean_Jacket41 03-05-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric824
I doubt Kolzig gets traded unless (1) a contender's starter gets hurt between now and Tuesday, or (2) the Leafs' worries about Belfour's health turn into panic.
Right now, neither seems likely.

Panic like they did when they got Leetch after losing the Gonchar bidding war?