HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Sergei Kostitsyn (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=588800)

Habsterix* 12-29-2008 11:23 PM

Sergei Kostitsyn

I was really impressed with him last year, but so far this year, I've only seen flashes of what he could do. He is still very young and I'm certainly not ready to give up on him, but I do think that he needs to be sent down to Hamilton to work on his game, on his confidence for a while.

Tonight again, he was directly responsible for the two goals against us by turning the puck over. Give the guy a chance to play major minutes in Hamilton and call him up in a couple of months.

My two cents.

Hackett 12-29-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix (Post 17042337)
I was really impressed with him last year, but so far this year, I've only seen flashes of what he could do. He is still very young and I'm certainly not ready to give up on him, but I do think that he needs to be sent down to Hamilton to work on his game, on his confidence for a while.

Tonight again, he was directly responsible for the two goals against us by turning the puck over. Give the guy a chance to play major minutes in Hamilton and call him up in a couple of months.

My two cents.

He and plekanec have been the biggest disappointments for me from a forwards point of view. At least pleks is starting to turn it around, but sergei is still looking a little lost out there.

If anything, sergei seems to have regressed a little bit. Perhaps, he thought that he had figured things out in his rookie year. I think sergei has a bright future in this league but it seems like he needs to go through some growing pains that I didnt anticipate.

Galchenyum 12-29-2008 11:32 PM

Well to his defense, he's been playing hard lately, but still way too many errors.

Lord Horse 12-29-2008 11:47 PM

Par for the course, young player, nothing surprising in his lack of production this year.

Wait until March, he's probably be sorted by then. Sending him down would be a total waste, he's not going to work his way through his own lumps by beating up on farm teams.

Habsterix* 12-29-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwoar (Post 17042700)
Par for the course, young player, nothing surprising in his lack of production this year.

Wait until March, he's probably be sorted by then. Sending him down would be a total waste, he's not going to work his way through his own lumps by beating up on farm teams.

I beg to differ. It looks as though it's a confidence issue and being a go-to guy in Hamilton for a month or two, playing 20 minutes a game, could do wonders for his game. Just look at D'Agostini.

la25ecoupe 12-29-2008 11:52 PM

I think the problem is he's playing with Begin and the likes.. He needs top players.. like Plek and Kovy.. saw how he produced during those games?

Or with Lang at the begining?

Erika 12-29-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanylapep (Post 17042777)
I think the problem is he's playing with Begin and the likes.. He needs top players.. like Plek and Kovy.. saw how he produced during those games?

Agreed... Begin is pretty much useless when we talk about offensive skills that it hurts badly Sergei and Ben... They can't create anything with this headless chicken playing on their line... :shakehead

I never I thought that I'm gonna say this one day, but I miss Christopher "Stone Hands" Higgins... At least, he's a little bit better than Begin...

:teach:

Habsterix* 12-30-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn (Post 17042848)
Agreed... Begin is pretty much useless when we talk about offensive skills that it hurts badly Sergei and Ben... They can't create anything with this headless chicken playing on their line... :shakehead

I never I thought that I'm gonna say this one day, but I miss Christopher "Stone Hands" Higgins... At least, he's a little bit better than Begin...

Between you and I, the "headless chicken" drops the gloves, gives body checks, kills penalties and scores goals. Get over it and at least admit when your beloved Sergei isn't up to par without trying to differ the situation in accusing other players who are performing!
:teach2:

Corey 12-30-2008 12:08 AM

Quote:

My two cents.

Onlu occasional flashes, but many flushes. :D

Corey 12-30-2008 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn (Post 17042848)

:teach:

For you, that's the milk of human kindness. However, Higgins wouldn't be demoted to the fourth line to play with Bégin and Maxwell. THAT's reserved for the lesser brother.

Corey 12-30-2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanylapep (Post 17042777)

Right now he's getting exactly what he deserves. Against the Panthers, he was a defensive menace (to the Habs).

guest1467 12-30-2008 12:18 AM

The guy is way too weak on the puck and gives it away very liberally. He needs to work on making the high percentage plays instead of going for the seem passes and extra moves. He needs to simplify his game, I am sure that is what Carbo is trying to do by putting him with Begin and Maxwell.

And to the poster that said he needs to be with talented players, well he was, and he lost his spot to Kostopoulos and D'Agostini because of his lackluster play. There are no free rides on a competitve NHL team.

Dunlop 12-30-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

My two cents.

It was Andrei and not sergei for the first goal..............
Edit:Sergei wasn't even on the ice

VAN-HAB 12-30-2008 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix (Post 17042902)
Between you and I, the "headless chicken" drops the gloves, gives body checks, kills penalties and scores goals. Get over it and at least admit when your beloved Sergei isn't up to par without trying to differ the situation in accusing other players who are performing!
:teach2:

Sergei has nothing to learn in Hamilton, that is really stupid. He needs better players to play with, Maxwell is really bad, and Begin is not suited to play with Sergei.

One player that I would like to get rid of is Brisebois, he sucks!

lou4gehrig 12-30-2008 12:55 AM

Maybe he simply doesn't belong on a 4th line?

He's an offensive player and right now there are 9 better forwards than him. I don't mind keeping him around since we might have a trade and free agency coming up.

JrHockeyFan 12-30-2008 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 17043133)
The guy is way too weak on the puck and gives it away very liberally. He needs to work on making the high percentage plays instead of going for the seem passes and extra moves. He needs to simplify his game, I am sure that is what Carbo is trying to do by putting him with Begin and Maxwell.

And to the poster that said he needs to be with talented players, well he was, and he lost his spot to Kostopoulos and D'Agostini because of his lackluster play. There are no free rides on a competitve NHL team.

Hmmm. Funny, but the stats show he has 9 giveaways over the course of the season. That is 17th on the club. Kovalev leads the Habs forwards in that stat with 30. Your "too weak on the puck" observation really isn't accurate either. Sounds like one of those catch-all comments

I can't say I totally agree with your line-up observations either. Play with Begin and Maxwell to simplify his game?

I will say that time on top lines is to be earned. That is a given. He has to earn that.

On the other hand the one thing that injuries, and Carbo's endless fiddling, have led to is constant line changes. A bit more consistency in line make-up benefits players. Sergei included. Carbo plays with lines way to much. No wonder the PP has so little chemistry.

I would agree Sergei tries to makes some passes that are too fine at times. I think lack of chemistry plays into that to a degree

Quote:

My two cents.

Stats for the game show he was only on the ice for 1 goal and had one giveaway.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/GS020534.HTM

Stradale 12-30-2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

My two cents.

No he was not. He was on the ice on one goal but it was a miscommunication between him and Maxwell which led to the goal. It wasnt really a mistake. And playing on the 4th line with a Maxwell who hasnt shown anything good YET and Begin it not where Sergei will be useful. At least put him on the line with Tender and Lappy or the second line that was semi-invisbile again tonight.

prairie hab 12-30-2008 01:23 AM

Newsflash:

When Koivu and Higgins return it is bye-bye Maxwell, S. Kost and Lats.

This bickering between "S Kost supporters", or "Higgins supporters" or "Lats supporters" or "Begin haters" gets very tiring.

The fact is S Kost is not ready for the big time on a consistent basis yet, Lats cannot skate in this league, Higgins gets way too long of a leash for his invisible play, and Maxwell is just a kid getting some reps.

Anyone else notice D'Agos minutes being reduced???

Many other teams have worse problems than our supposed underperforming 3rd/4th liners.........

lxzred 12-30-2008 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairie hab (Post 17043911)
Newsflash:

This bickering between "S Kost supporters", or "Higgins supporters" or "Lats supporters" or "Begin haters" gets very tiring.

The fact is S Kost is not ready for the big time on a consistent basis yet, Lats cannot skate in this league, Higgins gets way too long of a leash for his invisible play, and Maxwell is just a kid getting some reps.

Anyone else notice D'Agos minutes being reduced???

Many other teams have worse problems than our supposed underperforming 3rd/4th liners.........

Hmm, Lats is playing alot better for 2 3 weeks now

Riquelme 12-30-2008 01:29 AM

You can not just blame Sergei for the second goal against us. For me, it was someone (Maxwell??) who missed his pass though.

guest1467 12-30-2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan (Post 17043795)
Hmmm. Funny, but the stats show he has 9 giveaways over the course of the season. That is 17th on the club. Kovalev leads the Habs forwards in that stat with 30. Your "too weak on the puck" observation really isn't accurate either. Sounds like one of those catch-all comments

I can't say I totally agree with your line-up observations either. Play with Begin and Maxwell to simplify his game?

I will say that time on top lines is to be earned. That is a given. He has to earn that.

On the other hand the one thing that injuries, and Carbo's endless fiddling, have led to is constant line changes. A bit more consistency in line make-up benefits players. Sergei included. Carbo plays with lines way to much. No wonder the PP has so little chemistry.

I would agree Sergei tries to makes some passes that are too fine at times. I think lack of chemistry plays into that to a degree

I don't trust those stats, I have seen him make more than 9 giveaways in the last 5 games let alone the whole season. I don't understand how you don't get my comment, putting Kostitsyn with Maxwell and Begin is forcing him to simplify his game because those two players are always making high percentage plays. This however was not the only reason he was put on the line, you mentioned another reason. I don't think you can blame all of Sergei's incosistancies on lack of chemistry and line shuffling. At the beginning of the season it seemed Sergei was in line for a good season with some great chemistry brewing between him and Lang. However, the chemistry fizzled but the line was kept mostly intact for several more games. After that stretch Sergei slumped even greater, which is when we witnessed that string of games where he didn't score a goal. Like I said before, Sergei needs to simplify his game, needs to take more care and be stronger with the puck. And no, I don't need stats to back up those statements because I can see them with my own eyes, and if you can't, then there is a problem with you not me.

Quote:

It really drives me nuts because you can't make a comment on a certain player without some fanboy coming along and going ape ****. I wish people would throw out their individual player biases when they sign into HF Boards but that is a pipe dream at the very least.

Lone Rogue 12-30-2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Newsflash:

Wait, why would Lats be bye bye? He's been extremely good the last several games, its not Lapierre doing it all himself on the line. I don't get that at all. The skating complaint is silly when Lapierre's second goal was created due to Lats skating hard.

Quote:

At least this part I agree with. What happened to "Hab supporters"? The only time I feel compelled to bash a Hab player is when a Hab fan is bashing them in feverish support of a different Hab player they feel needs protection.

prairie hab 12-30-2008 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Rogue (Post 17043985)
Wait, why would Lats be bye bye? He's been extremely good the last several games, its not Lapierre doing it all himself on the line. I don't get that at all. The skating complaint is silly when Lapierre's second goal was created due to Lats skating hard.

At least this part I agree with. What happened to "Hab supporters"? The only time I feel compelled to bash a Hab player is when a Hab fan is bashing them in feverish support of a different Hab player they feel needs protection.

I was only citing the typical complaints of these players that so often show up on these boards.

Lats has been better lately, but you won't mistake me for being an Antichambre campaigner for him either........

JrHockeyFan 12-30-2008 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 17043969)
I don't trust those stats, I have seen him make more than 9 giveaways in the last 5 games let alone the whole season. I don't understand how you don't get my comment, putting Kostitsyn with Maxwell and Begin is forcing him to simplify his game because those two players are always making high percentage plays. This however was not the only reason he was put on the line, you mentioned another reason. I don't think you can blame all of Sergei's incosistancies on lack of chemistry and line shuffling. At the beginning of the season it seemed Sergei was in line for a good season with some great chemistry brewing between him and Lang. However, the chemistry fizzled but the line was kept mostly intact for several more games. After that stretch Sergei slumped even greater, which is when we witnessed that string of games where he didn't score a goal. Like I said before, Sergei needs to simplify his game, needs to take more care and be stronger with the puck. And no, I don't need stats to back up those statements because I can see them with my own eyes, and if you can't, then there is a problem with you not me.

Easy guy. Nowhere did I blame everything on lack of chemistry. But the fact remains that several players on this team are suffering from lack of scoring touch. Quite a few guys went a long stretch without scoring. Broaden your horizons a bit. There has been a lot more wrong with scoring on this team than Sergei Kostitsyn.

Regardless of whether you believe stats are accurate or not, relatively speaking they apply to all guys, unless the NHL turns a blind eye only to SK. It's easy to say somebody saw a player doing something "a lot" to make a point. Frankly I'll go with the stats.

I'm not buying into your simplify the game thing, but if that is what you really believe that is fine. Just don't act like everybody has to agree with it.

Hab-a-maniac 12-30-2008 03:25 AM

Where do people get the idea the D'ago is back to the AHL or on the 4th line or pressbox when Higgins returns (which is still at least 2 weeks away)? Higgins was **** the previous 2 weeks before his injury. He'll get back in slowly but surely but if D'Ago impresses some more, Higgins will be a 3rd liner with a bit of PK and PP time. Let Higgins earn his way back on to a top 6 pairing. Having Sergei and Gui turn it on will only ensure a potential three scoring lines with a solid energetic 4th line.

It might mean that Laraque will find himself out of the lineup often or possibly someone will become a healthy scratch. As for when Dandy's back, it might mean a trade or most likely a demotion for O'Byrne (which would mean he'd be down in the AHL until the waiver wire is frozen at season's end) while Breezy alternates in the lineup with Dandy. With injuries, this can give us a lot of depth to work with. When Koivu's back, Maxwell hits the AHL where he'll likely stay the rest of the year (next call-up would probably be Chips who is much more essential and cut out for the grind of the playoffs). He is the least NHL ready guy in our lineup right now.