HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Goligoski or Lee (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=588889)

Cliff O Malley 12-30-2008 07:17 AM

Goligoski or Lee

I asked this question a couple years ago and got hammered pretty hard for even mentioning Gogs in the same breath as Brian Lee. Two years later, I think opinions will change. Who would you take on your team?

mytor4* 12-30-2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboostking (Post 17045542)
I asked this question a couple years ago and got hammered pretty hard for even mentioning Gogs in the same breath as Brian Lee. Two years later, I think opinions will change. Who would you take on your team?

Quite easily Gogs.Back than,today and for the rest of their career.

tony d 12-30-2008 07:43 AM

Alex Goligoski

Habs 4 Life 12-30-2008 07:46 AM

Goligoski

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 12-30-2008 01:18 PM

Gogo.

Luongo2008* 12-30-2008 01:32 PM

Brian Lee

I Hate Chris Butler 12-30-2008 01:33 PM

Haven't seen Lee play yet, have seen Goligoski.

AK 12-30-2008 02:21 PM

Gogo.

Cone 12-30-2008 02:31 PM

brian lee suxorz

bdp 12-30-2008 02:57 PM

Lee is a bust. Goligoski by miles and miles.

The Big Swede 12-30-2008 05:06 PM

Lee.

Luongo2008* 12-30-2008 05:43 PM

Alex Goligoski

Ivyy13 12-31-2008 09:04 AM

Alex.

Konk 12-31-2008 09:41 AM

Brian Lee is the one prospect I've followed that I've never been able to understand why he's been so highly touted. I don't see one thing about his game that's impressive. He's a good skater and he's tall -- that's about it. He's weak, has a bad panic threshold, no real offensive upside, he's pretty lost positionally, and he has weak stick checking skills on top of it.

Goligoski was a better NCAA player, a better AHL player, and now a better NHL player.

Cone 12-31-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konk (Post 17065530)
Brian Lee is the one prospect I've followed that I've never been able to understand why he's been so highly touted. I don't see one thing about his game that's impressive. He's a good skater and he's tall -- that's about it. He's weak, has a bad panic threshold, no real offensive upside, he's pretty lost positionally, and he has weak stick checking skills on top of it.

Goligoski was a better NCAA player, a better AHL player, and now a better NHL player.

he sucks, he honestly just sucks at hockey.

Tubby Tuke 12-31-2008 03:54 PM

Well a guy with a .gif avatar thinks he sucks. Better go with the opposite.

Lee.

Novak Djokovic 12-31-2008 03:55 PM

Watch the game against Oilers last night, and you'd understand why Lee was picked 9th overall.

The Mars Volchenkov 12-31-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konk (Post 17065530)

He's might not be great at anything, but he's real good at a lot of things. Yes, he's weak, but at 21, he's still got lots of time to improve that. His shot seems to be getting better, and he's got a good outlet pass. He'll never put up big numbers, but 30-40 points should be expected. He's smart enough that he can be used in any situation, and he's done quite well on the PK over the last few games.

Isn't Goligoski 2 years older than Lee anyway? It's just funny that people call Lee a bust when he's been a pro for a year and half and had a great first season.

chewey 12-31-2008 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Can 2 (Post 17050574)
Lee is a bust. Goligoski by miles and miles.

Of course, a 21 year old player who is starting to [I think] play a full season in the NHL is a bust.
But, hey I could be wrong. I mean, many players start out slow and it shows them being a bust.
- Joe Thornton
- Vinny
- Hossa
- JP Dumount
- Carter
- Coburn

as well as others. How do you do it?

SLCPunk* 12-31-2008 09:58 PM

Goligoski by MILES

Konk 01-01-2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov (Post 17071541)
He's might not be great at anything, but he's real good at a lot of things. Yes, he's weak, but at 21, he's still got lots of time to improve that. His shot seems to be getting better, and he's got a good outlet pass. He'll never put up big numbers, but 30-40 points should be expected. He's smart enough that he can be used in any situation, and he's done quite well on the PK over the last few games.

Isn't Goligoski 2 years older than Lee anyway? It's just funny that people call Lee a bust when he's been a pro for a year and half and had a great first season.

No, you don't just expect 40 points out of a questionable prospect who was a project in the first place. I watched Brian at UND and I didn't see any progression, any real advancement in his game that would ever suggest a bright future in the NHL. He'll most likely carve out a career as a possible top 4 guy, but top pairing will never be in the cards for him, IMHO.

Harrison Ford 01-01-2009 02:22 AM

gogo

The Mars Volchenkov 01-01-2009 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konk (Post 17079711)
No, you don't just expect 40 points out of a questionable prospect who was a project in the first place.

Which is why I said 30-40 points. Hell, his numbers averaged out this year would add up to 29 points in a full season. I even said in my post he'll never put up big numbers, so I don't know what you're arguing with me about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konk
I watched Brian at UND and I didn't see any progression, any real advancement in his game that would ever suggest a bright future in the NHL.

I watched him too. His freshmen year was fine, sophomore year, not so much, but his rookie year in the AHL was terrific. You make it sound like he has made no progress at all in his career, which is just wrong. AHL All-Star last year, and put up respectable numbers for someone with apparently no offensive upside, on a far worse team than Goligoski got to play on.

Quote:

He'll most likely carve out a career as a possible top 4 guy, but top pairing will never be in the cards for him, IMHO.

And it will be for Goligoski?

Konk 01-01-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov (Post 17080891)
Which is why I said 30-40 points. Hell, his numbers averaged out this year would add up to 29 points in a full season. I even said in my post he'll never put up big numbers, so I don't know what you're arguing with me about.

You can't take numbers from a handful of games and prorate it to 82 games and expect them to be accurate.

I'm arguing because 40 points is a lot for a defenseman and Lee doesn't have the offensive talent to put up 40 points.

Quote:

I watched him too. His freshmen year was fine, sophomore year, not so much, but his rookie year in the AHL was terrific. You make it sound like he has made no progress at all in his career, which is just wrong. AHL All-Star last year, and put up respectable numbers for someone with apparently no offensive upside, on a far worse team than Goligoski got to play on.

This year in the AHL he's regressed again. No, I didn't make it sound like he's made no progression, I've flat-out said his progression has been poor. A top 10 pick makes progress. Blake Wheeler made clear progress in Minnesota, he worked on his weaknesses and rounded out his game. Lee did not, he still has many of the same weaknesses as he did when he was drafted. That's called not making a lot of progress.

I'll admit, however, that I haven't watched him with the Senators yet this season.

Quote:

And it will be for Goligoski?

I don't know, but Goligoski's already a top 4 and Lee is not, and he'll be lucky if he's ever.

The Mars Volchenkov 01-02-2009 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konk (Post 17082104)
I'm arguing because 40 points is a lot for a defenseman and Lee doesn't have the offensive talent to put up 40 points.

Which is why I said 30-40! I never once said he's a guarantee to hit 40, but he's more than capable of going over the 30 point mark.

Quote:

This year in the AHL he's regressed again. No, I didn't make it sound like he's made no progression, I've flat-out said his progression has been poor. A top 10 pick makes progress. Blake Wheeler made clear progress in Minnesota, he worked on his weaknesses and rounded out his game. Lee did not, he still has many of the same weaknesses as he did when he was drafted. That's called not making a lot of progress.

I'll admit, however, that I haven't watched him with the Senators yet this season.

His progression has been strange, I'll admit, but he has progressed. His shot is getting better, which has held him back a lot offensively thus far, but he still needs to get much stronger, which is his biggest weakness. At 21, that's something anyone could improve. He's bulked up a lot since being drafted and he'll continue to do so.

Quote:

I don't know, but Goligoski's already a top 4 and Lee is not, and he'll be lucky if he's ever.

Goligoski is a top 4 defenseman right now? He plays less at even strength for the Penguins than any other defenseman not named Mark Eaton, and the Penguins have 6 defensemen who average more ice time than him. He's a very good prospect in his own right, but no way is he a top 4 defenseman at this point.

Goligoski is two years older than Lee, something you seemingly refuse to acknowledge, so it should be no surprise he's ahead in his development. If Lee never becomes a top 4 defenseman, than I'd be stunned.