HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Zholtok & Bomber Traded (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=58890)

Lake Harriet 03-05-2004 05:00 PM

Zholtok & Bomber Traded

To Nashville for 3rd and 4th Round picks. About what you would expect them to bring. Given what the Rangers have been getting, I might have expected slightly more. Bombardir was more highly regarded a few years ago.

Bookman 03-05-2004 05:06 PM

The fact they are going to be UFAs probably drove the price down a bit.

All I can say is excellent resource management by DR. Get what you can for your potential UFAs. He did it in year one with Pellerin, Lesychin(sp), and O'Donnell, and he's doing it again. That leaves only Wiemer, who I thought was their most marketable guy for a playoff run.

thestonedkoala 03-05-2004 05:55 PM

HE should've got a prospect, thrown in a pick and got us a freaking prospect. You realize that these picks are going to be extremely low (I can't do the math in my head, I guess around like the 120th!)

Kristofer 03-05-2004 06:10 PM

You can only get what another team is willing to give up. These guys are UFAs and not high end UFAs so you're not going to get much more than draft picks.
Good deal for both teams in my opinion.

ceber 03-05-2004 06:14 PM

Yeah, I suppose it's the sort of deal you make. This one feels a little worse than the others.

Good luck to the guys in Nashville. I wonder if Nashville will use 'em or move 'em as part of a bigger deal?

thestonedkoala 03-05-2004 07:05 PM

Riser has lied to us :mad: Instead of a 5 year plan he has put us on a 7-10 year plan. We have no depth in our system, we are very thin on defense, and GRRR! We should've gotten more for these guys.

ceber 03-05-2004 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Riser has lied to us :mad: Instead of a 5 year plan he has put us on a 7-10 year plan. We have no depth in our system, we are very thin on defense, and GRRR! We should've gotten more for these guys.

??

It's either don't resign them and let them walk, resign them and keep using them, or trade them for whatever you can get.

Our guys are not hot items here. They're depth guys that teams will pick up if the price is right.

Would keeping them have improved the depth of the team at all?

vitogor 03-05-2004 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestonedkoala

I don't get it. You've been on the front lines of the "Get rid of the vets, give the kids a chance" campaign, and Riser is doing just that. You are still not happy. Make up your mind. Bomber wasn't going to get us anything better than a 5th, Zholtok I thought could go for a 3rd, but I'm not a GM, I don't know the fine details of the business. 4th and 5th are fine. Might be a slight underpayment by the Preds, but nothing to make a big deal over.

Wild Bill 03-05-2004 09:13 PM

Kaboom! *dust settles*

Well, I can't say this was an ideal deal, but it still was fair market value in return. I can't help but think if Riser maybe waited a little longer (night before or day of deadline) he couldn't have weaseled a prospect out of someone. Zholi and Bomber were our best and easiest assets to move and to just come away with draft picks, well it is a little disappointing to say the least. I guess draft weekend is gonna be fun tho :yo:

vitogor 03-05-2004 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #16
I don't get it. You've been on the front lines of the "Get rid of the vets, give the kids a chance" campaign, and Riser is doing just that. You are still not happy. Make up your mind. Bomber wasn't going to get us anything better than a 5th, Zholtok I thought could go for a 3rd, but I'm not a GM, I don't know the fine details of the business. 4th and 5th are fine. Might be a slight underpayment by the Preds, but nothing to make a big deal over.

Hehe.. time to go to bed *yawn* ;)

It's a 3rd and a 4th, of course... Even better. Fair value I'd say.

thestonedkoala 03-05-2004 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #16

Packaged together, I thought they might garner something. It felt like a panic trade or something because I bet Riser would've got something a little more at the deadline.

We need prospects more than picks. Picks take years to develop, prospects in the systems have already worked out. That's my only problem. I have no problems with Dowd, Marshall, or Hendrickson getting picks but when you got a guy that's third in points on a trap team getting a late 3rd rounder, then thats a problem.

DW 03-05-2004 10:54 PM

Good deal again. Nobody is going to give us a prospect for guys that they won't even re-sign after the playoffs are over. I'm surprised they were both traded together, just not surprised they were going to be dealt.

Frozen North 03-06-2004 03:46 PM

Zholtok was my favorite Wild... :cry:

That being said, I'm glad he's on a team that is playoff-bound. It would be nice to see him have a huge playoffs and maybe make some bucks this summer.

Good Luck Sergei!

Bookman 03-06-2004 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetRanger
Zholtok was my favorite Wild... :cry:

That being said, I'm glad he's on a team that is playoff-bound. It would be nice to see him have a huge playoffs and maybe make some bucks this summer.

Good Luck Sergei!

I'll agree with you there, he was my favorite as well. 24 hours later, I feel neither joy nor anger at this deal, given the realities of the situation, which to me means it was a fair trade. Nashville is a young team as well, and they're not likely to deal prospects for rent-a-players. :dunno:

jstreet 03-14-2004 08:53 PM

Zholtok has looked.,,.ok...

but Bomber, man, I wish that you guys would come and kidnap him or something. I've never seen a Dman fall down, loss his man, give the puck away while standing within 3 ft of the net, etc. like he has.

what's this guy's deal?

thestonedkoala 03-14-2004 09:17 PM

Bomber? Well he's Bomber! :D

He's old, nearly crippled, and just plain is bad.

NyCoN 03-15-2004 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars
Zholtok has looked.,,.ok...

but Bomber, man, I wish that you guys would come and kidnap him or something. I've never seen a Dman fall down, loss his man, give the puck away while standing within 3 ft of the net, etc. like he has.

what's this guy's deal?

He's a bum..always has been IMO. :p

DW 03-15-2004 05:27 PM

It's only been a week. Give yourself, say 3 years, and let us know what you really think. To be honest, he was a seviceable dmen until he broke his ankle(foot?) 2 years ago. He hasn't recovered since then and he's had many different ailments since then.

jiggs 10 03-16-2004 04:36 PM

This is too bad, cause Bomber was the Wild's best D-man easily when healthy. Smartest player they have, made good clearing passes, got in the way to block shots and passes, etc. Zholtok was very good, too. They should have gotten more, but Bomber's been injuried a lot this season, so I guess he slipped a little. Seems pretty low for these two as a package deal, though.

vitogor 03-16-2004 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggs 10
This is too bad, cause Bomber was the Wild's best D-man easily when healthy. Smartest player they have, made good clearing passes, got in the way to block shots and passes, etc. Zholtok was very good, too. They should have gotten more, but Bomber's been injuried a lot this season, so I guess he slipped a little. Seems pretty low for these two as a package deal, though.

Bomber was our best D in the first year (along with Sekeras), then it was all downhill for him. I'm sure injuries had a lot to do with him losing a step, but the fact is his importance to the team has been slipping for quiet a while now, it didn't start yesterday.

Bookman 03-16-2004 07:58 PM

I'd go so far as to say he was our best in 2000 and again in 2002 - but he is quite fragile. Other than year one for the Wild, where he played a whopping 70 games, the guy has never played more than 60 games a season. My bet is that he's playing with pain, because he should be in his prime at 31, not falling off like he has this year.