HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Crazy thought - Second Jack Adams for Keenan; first for Flames? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=590900)

haQ Loob 01-04-2009 12:30 PM

Crazy thought - Second Jack Adams for Keenan; first for Flames?

I know it's crazy, but given the depth of Calgary's scoring this year and the performance of players new to the organization (compared to their performance with other teams last year - e.g., Glencross, Bourque), is there any chance of Keenan being an also-ran nominee for the Jack Adams?

We're still early in the year, yes, but the team is on pace to beat last year's point total by 14. Our PK has gone from the bottom third in the league to top 5, and we've also improved significantly in goals-for-per-game (we'd have to, because our goals against hasn't been terrific). Standout performances by teams like Boston and Chicago so far make me think their coaches are early favorites, but any chance Keenan slips into that group if the season continues this way?

serratedmuffin 01-04-2009 12:33 PM

Like you said, Boston, Chicago and possibly San Jose. it's still early but I would bet against even a nomination.

flamesfan12 01-04-2009 12:42 PM

Way to early to say as there is still a lot of hockey to be played. Right now though I'd say there is probably atleast 4 guys that would be ahead of him in voting. He definetly has the team playing great hockey right now though so if the team can keep it up he may get some consideration.

Sec of Partying Down 01-04-2009 12:46 PM

Claude Julien and SJ's coach are in a two-way battle for this.

Keenan's done well. Very well in fact and I was one of those people that called for him to be replaced earlier in the season. But Boston and San Jose don't lose and that's tough to compete with.

GoFlames 01-04-2009 02:50 PM

An interesting idea. Will see but it will depend on how Chicago, San Jose and Boston do to finish off the season.

I must say I am enjoying eating crow about how Keenan is not right for the Flames. If the team continues this play it might be a possibility (nomination).

I Hate Chris Butler 01-04-2009 03:17 PM

I think he could be nominated for what he's done, but the success could widely be attributed to the team he has to work with.

As said, there are about 5 or more coaches I'd put ahead of him. Babcock, Boudreau, McClellan, Julien, and Coach Q are also possible candidates ahead of Keenan.

GoFlames 01-04-2009 04:22 PM

True but the simple fact that the Flames have a coach who could be a possible even long shot nominee half way abouts through the schedule is a positive thing as well.

I credit Keenan for whatever he did or said after the loss to the Sharks that has taken on epic status. Sure guys like Regehr and Iggy must have played a role and the whole team suddenly bought in but I think Keenan had to have been the catalyst imo. If you compare the seasons before and after that game it should at least give Keenan long shot potential at this point but it is still a long shot.

Noori 01-04-2009 05:14 PM

He might coach in the All-star game as well.

cross16 01-04-2009 06:17 PM

I think Keenan has done a great job so far this season. However, its still very early. They have to start beating some elite teams and keep their consistancy to mention his name as far as a nomination goes.

However, if this type of play continues, I would definetly think he would deserve consideration.

Caribou Lou 01-04-2009 06:40 PM

Any other season yes, but I think this year there's too many surprise teams (Boston, Chicago) + the Sharks for him to get a nom.

Grannys 01-04-2009 06:43 PM

I love that we have so far had a ton of "fire Keenan" threads and now we get this :)

jeremywilhelm 01-04-2009 10:05 PM

If Quenneville doesnt get it, then the awards are rigged!

I Hate Chris Butler 01-04-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm (Post 17149460)
If Quenneville doesnt get it, then the awards are rigged!

Julien I think would be ahead of Quenneville. He basically took an 8th place team last season, and turned them into President's Trophy material.

tfong 01-05-2009 12:07 PM

I'd cheer for Julien to get it.

ArizonaGreenTea 01-05-2009 12:47 PM

As of right now it's between Julien and McLellan but if the Flames keep playing the way they do right now, I could see Keenan getting third in votes.

THE SOVIET* 01-05-2009 01:01 PM

it's a stupid thought thats what it is

Ticonderoga 01-05-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooch (Post 17156424)
it's a stupid thought thats what it is

Huh? :huh:

Keenan for the Jack Adams?