HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bob Mackenzie Says We're Done... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=59127)

KingJarl 03-06-2004 11:07 AM

Bob Mackenzie Says We're Done...

TSN last night... BM reports we're done trading, as the two deals we've done is a lot for us. Whaddya think? Does the Kovalev injury change that? Or has BG been secretly working the phones all along?

pEAce :yo:

Freaky Habs Fan 03-06-2004 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingJarl
TSN last night... BM reports we're done trading, as the two deals we've done is a lot for us. Whaddya think? Does the Kovalev injury change that? Or has BG been secretly working the phones all along?

Maybe BG will do a minor trade like Dackell for a pick but he will not do a trade like Dackell for X player. We will not receive any new player...only draft pick. As for Kovalev, I'm sure it's not to serious and he will be back sooner then later.

Rahan 03-06-2004 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Maybe BG will do a minor trade like Dackell for a pick but he will not do a trade like Dackell for X player. We will not receive any new player...only draft pick. As for Kovalev, I'm sure it's not to serious and he will be back sooner then later.

I'd prefer trading Kilger and Juneau. Dackell is a hella useful still.

Bill McNeal 03-06-2004 12:11 PM

The "experts" also said Habs would be sellers at this point in the season when they made their season predictions.

They also had no IDEA Gainey was trying to get Kovalev. Fact of the matter is, the best hockey insiders, and Bob is probably THE best, only know about 2% of what's going on between the GMs.

Mooch 03-06-2004 12:27 PM

Bob Gainey Is Very Sneaky- Nuff Said!

Habs 03-06-2004 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingJarl

I think Bob Mackenzine is the master of stating the obvious, and little more. He certainly had no idea of the Kovalev trade, nor did anyone else in the media.

Because, it's all speculation. They do not sit down with the GM's and get the information factually.

markov` 03-06-2004 12:57 PM

I hope we're done. I'm confident with the team we have right now and I'm pretty sure Gainey won't trade any prospects.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse 03-06-2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markov`
I hope we're done. I'm confident with the team we have right now and I'm pretty sure Gainey won't trade any prospects.

As long as when the trade deadline passes we still have our 1st Komisarek, Higgins and Kastitsyn Gainey can trade all he wants. If we could land another top 6 forward I`d be all for it. But it would be nice if he could do it without sacrificing too much. Which is hard for a top line guy.

RE-HABS 03-06-2004 02:06 PM

The deal for Kovalev fell into Gaineys lap at a decent price to him, if another should arise for a position in which he thinks we need help he wouldn't be shy to do so again.

Bobby Mac can speculate at this point nothing will be done, I'll wait till 3:00 pm, March 9/04 first.

tinyzombies 03-06-2004 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse
As long as when the trade deadline passes we still have our 1st Komisarek, Higgins and Kastitsyn Gainey can trade all he wants. If we could land another top 6 forward I`d be all for it. But it would be nice if he could do it without sacrificing too much. Which is hard for a top line guy.

The story goes that the Canadiens offered three different prospects and the Rangers chose Balej because Andy Bathgate is a roving scout in the Hamilton area for the Rangers. I bet Bathgate is the one who initiated this deal since he has been talking Balej up all year. I doubt Gainey went to the Rangers. I bet Sather asked around amongst his scouts for their recommendations on prospects and Bathgate mentioned Balej.

Team_Spirit 03-06-2004 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
The story goes that the Canadiens offered three different prospects and the Rangers chose Balej because Andy Bathgate is a roving scout in the Hamilton area for the Rangers. I bet Bathgate is the one who initiated this deal since he has been talking Balej up all year. I doubt Gainey went to the Rangers. I bet Sather asked around amongst his scouts for their recommendations on prospects and Bathgate mentioned Balej.

Well done , Balej was clearly the Best Dog this year and he also showed an exellent work ethic . They wanted Komiarek but the Habs won't trade him .

Habber 03-06-2004 03:28 PM

I think BG is done trading prospects and draft picks, but there's some expendable roster players around like Kilger and Perrault that he'll look at moving, hopefully for some more depth on defence because if someone gets hurt, we're screwed as Komi isn't ready to play in the playoffs.

tritone 03-06-2004 04:23 PM

Bob M

I think BM does a lot of speculating . He's been wrong about so many things .
People might say "yeah but he did predict this/that" Well, look at the odds...He makes at least 15 different predictions in every one of his segments..of course he'll get a few right now and then.

To sum it up , I wouldn't take BM as the end all of Habs activity

Mike8 03-06-2004 04:26 PM

Doubtful. I would expect Gainey to pick up a depth defenseman.

#44_delivers 03-06-2004 04:34 PM

somebody should send the list of an overflow of 3/4th liners in this team, bobby only states the obvious, even though the habs not making a deal is far from obvious it just doesnt make sence!

Mike8 03-06-2004 04:47 PM

It makes perfect sense for Montreal to make a deal. If one defenseman goes down then Komisarek comes in. As much as I like Komisarek, he's not ready to be played in the playoffs.

I would be surprised if Montreal did not pick up a defenseman.

s7ark 03-06-2004 10:12 PM

You can't blame Bob McKenzie for reporting from Toronto Maple Leafs central and hoping that the Canadiens don't improve any more! Everyone read that joke about the kid and the dog in the forum? Typical of the Toronto sports logic twilight zone. I totally expect another big talented forward, or perhaps more appropriately a big puck moving d-man who can clear a crease. I think Bobby Mic has already reported that the leafs have won the Cup, and that the rest of us simply haven't realized it yet. :rolly:

Mike8 03-06-2004 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
You can't blame Bob McKenzie for reporting from Toronto Maple Leafs central and hoping that the Canadiens don't improve any more! Everyone read that joke about the kid and the dog in the forum? Typical of the Toronto sports logic twilight zone. I totally expect another big talented forward, or perhaps more appropriately a big puck moving d-man who can clear a crease. I think Bobby Mic has already reported that the leafs have won the Cup, and that the rest of us simply haven't realized it yet. :rolly:

Can you point out any occasion where McKenzie's displayed any bias in favour of the Leafs? I've always appreciated his balanced and impartial approach to every rumour or trade that he's asked to comment on.

deandebean 03-06-2004 10:49 PM

It was Harry Howell, not Andy Bathgate.

s7ark 03-07-2004 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
Can you point out any occasion where McKenzie's displayed any bias in favour of the Leafs? I've always appreciated his balanced and impartial approach to every rumour or trade that he's asked to comment on.

Please pardon the slight exaggeration. Seriously though, what made him think we were done (and I believe that is a "direct quote")? You're right, it's hard to pick out blatant Toronto favourism, but I have noticed language on occasion to that effect. Maybe when dealing with TSN [ =Toronto Sports Network? ;) ]the tendency is to avoid saying "bad" things about the Leafs to the point I might have misconstrued the odd idea. No question, though, I can listen to him longer than MacGuire.

Mike8 03-07-2004 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
Please pardon the slight exaggeration. Seriously though, what made him think we were done (and I believe that is a "direct quote")? You're right, it's hard to pick out blatant Toronto favourism, but I have noticed language on occasion to that effect. Maybe when dealing with TSN [ =Toronto Sports Network? ;) ]the tendency is to avoid saying "bad" things about the Leafs to the point I might have misconstrued the odd idea. No question, though, I can listen to him longer than MacGuire.

Can't really answer why he thinks Montreal's done. I'd imagine he'd have a few more sources for this than you and I, though. ;) I didn't hear him say Montreal was done. It's possible he was quoted out of context and it's possible he elaborated on the topic. Either way, I would disagree with him--I fully expect another defenseman to be picked up.

I don't think TSN's nearly as biased as people claim. McGuire is also from Montreal and used to do CJAD (local Montreal station) colour commentating. If anything, he'd be biased in favour of Montreal but has generally been the hardest on the Habs among TSN's analysts.

Raider917 03-07-2004 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
Can't really answer why he thinks Montreal's done. I'd imagine he'd have a few more sources for this than you and I, though. ;) I didn't hear him say Montreal was done. It's possible he was quoted out of context and it's possible he elaborated on the topic. Either way, I would disagree with him--I fully expect another defenseman to be picked up.

I don't think TSN's nearly as biased as people claim. McGuire is also from Montreal and used to do CJAD (local Montreal station) colour commentating. If anything, he'd be biased in favour of Montreal but has generally been the hardest on the Habs among TSN's analysts.

How many deals has fatty been good on?

#44_delivers 03-07-2004 01:28 AM

tsn is biased towards the leafs "time bias" to be more exact, and also with analist like healy you cant tell me that network isnt biased.
let me elaborate on why i say there "time biased" for a 3rd straight day even when TO is not playing its all about them, yesterday its about leetch in practice, and we all know everybody would have praised gonchar to a puking matter if he woulda been traded to the leafs, but we all know what happend....

#44_delivers 03-07-2004 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider917

only the obvious ones, he's really not a good analyst at all.
he's as clueless as he's alowed to be, if you know what i mean..

Mike8 03-07-2004 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider917

Does it matter?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't care much for rumours. I prefer level-headed, balanced, knowledgeable analysts doing their job: analyzing.

I haven't kept track of McKenzie's predictions, or if he's even made all that many. My guess is he'd have a better 'winning percentage' than most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by #44_delivers
tsn is biased towards the leafs "time bias" to be more exact, and also with analist like healy you cant tell me that network isnt biased.
let me elaborate on why i say there "time biased" for a 3rd straight day even when TO is not playing its all about them, yesterday its about leetch in practice, and we all know everybody would have praised gonchar to a puking matter if he woulda been traded to the leafs, but we all know what happend....

There's not a time-bias. The network gives more air-time to concentrate on a team that a large percentage of their market is interested in. That's not bias; it's money. You think these business executives are giving more air-time to Toronto because they grew up in Toronto? It's about profit.

For a third straight day they're talking about Leetch in practice? Big deal. I heard Kovalev and Dowd's name on TSN and CBC today. Kovalev and Leetch are big names going to big Canadian markets. Of course a sports network will give updates on both of 'em.

This inferiority complex of Toronto-getting-all-the-media-attention-while-poor-little-Montreal-is-being-neglected is tiresome, gentlemen.