HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   All-Time Scandinavian Habs team (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=591437)

#57 01-05-2009 07:34 PM

All-Time Scandinavian Habs team

Watching the Canada-Sweden finals, is it just me or have the Habs never really had anyone from Sweden/Finland that did anything for the Canadiens or even a drafted player that ended up being good in the NHL.

I got Mats Naslund (obviously), Koivu, Sundstrom, Dackell... who else?

Can you make an all-time team of drafted scandinavian player / or scandinavian players that played for the Canadiens.

EDIT: I mean Naslund and Koivu have been great for us, but aside from that....... nothing.

Ghost of Saku 01-05-2009 07:44 PM

Jyrki Lumme?

Pierre Dagenais 01-05-2009 08:09 PM

How can you forget Janne?

edit: also add Juha Lind

Mustafa* 01-05-2009 08:11 PM

ninimaa

Joey 01-05-2009 08:13 PM

Janne Lahti

He really helped HF with their 3rd line winger predictions

24Cups 01-05-2009 08:24 PM

Khell Dahlen, Peter Popovic.

Next Best Thing* 01-05-2009 08:27 PM

Hedman, 2009-2015 :sarcasm:

Dripper 01-05-2009 08:40 PM

I would have Dahlin-Koivu-Naslund as a first line.

FerrisRox 01-05-2009 08:43 PM

Here's what I got off the top of my head .... remembered a lot more then I thought I would!

CENTERS

Saku Koivu

WINGERS

Mats Naslund
Kjell Dahlin
Jonas Hoglund
Nicklas Sundstrom
Andreas Dackell
Patrick Kjellberg
Juha Lind
Janne Lahti
Johan Witeall

DEFENSEMAN

Janne Niinamaa
Jyrki Lumme
Peter Popovic
Marko Kiprusoff
Martti Jarventtie

CGG 01-05-2009 08:46 PM

Scandinavia is actually Sweden, Norway and Denmark, I assume for this purpose we're including Finland as well.

A few more gems to add:

Patrick Carnback
Patrik Kjellberg
Martii Jarenti
Marko Kiprusoff

#57 01-05-2009 08:47 PM

Isnt Kim Staal from Denmark?

He's a solid international player. Could make our 3rd line giving how weak our lineup seems to be.

habsprospects 01-05-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #57 (Post 17167971)

Yes he is.

Schwang 01-05-2009 09:14 PM

OMG I was thinking about this the other day

What is with our European scouts? They are terrible in the Scandinavian countries. I mean, in 25 years or so, we have Naslund and Koivu as the only guys worth mentioning. Many of the players on the list, we did not draft. Dahlin only played a couple seasons and went back home with his tail between his legs. Lumme was OK offensively, but a crappy defenceman. Popovic was the freindly giant and never hit anyone.

We are missing a lot of talent from those countries over the years. Not that the other talent we did draft is all bad from other countries, I just find it very odd, considering in over 2 decades, only 2 guys made a real impact.

Canadiens1958 01-05-2009 09:41 PM

Rejean Houle

Rejean Houle should be added. Old Pierre Mondou joke.

RE-HABS 01-05-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #57 (Post 17167971)

He's a solid international player. Could make our 3rd line giving how weak our lineup seems to be.

The long lost Staal brother.:sarcasm:

Ice Poutine 01-05-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrisRox (Post 17167775)
CENTERS

Saku Koivu

WINGERS

Mats Naslund
Kjell Dahlin
Jonas Hoglund
Nicklas Sundstrom
Andreas Dackell
Patrick Kjellberg
Juha Lind
Janne Lahti
Johan Witeall

DEFENSEMAN

Janne Niinamaa
Jyrki Lumme
Peter Popovic
Marko Kiprusoff
Martti Jarventtie

So this is a team with centers that cant win a faceoff, defensemen that cant hit and wingers that seem to hate going after a puck in a corner, ANY corner. And a team also without any goalie. :(

RE-HABS 01-05-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Poutine (Post 17171341)
So this is a team with centers that cant win a faceoff, defensemen that cant hit and wingers that seem to hate going after a puck in a corner, ANY corner. And a team also without any goalie. :(

Sounds like a Norway - Denmark team to me then.:sarcasm:

Kriss E 01-05-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Here's what I got off the top of my head .... remembered a lot more then I thought I would!

CENTERS

Saku Koivu

WINGERS

Mats Naslund
Kjell Dahlin
Jonas Hoglund
Nicklas Sundstrom
Andreas Dackell
Patrick Kjellberg
Juha Lind
Janne Lahti
Johan Witeall

DEFENSEMAN

Janne Niinamaa
Jyrki Lumme
Peter Popovic
Marko Kiprusoff
Martti Jarventtie

Ya..all those names just popped out of my head too

Marc Bergevins Suit 01-05-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

CENTERS

Saku Koivu

WINGERS

Mats Naslund
Kjell Dahlin
Jonas Hoglund
Nicklas Sundstrom
Andreas Dackell
Patrick Kjellberg
Juha Lind
Janne Lahti
Johan Witeall

DEFENSEMAN

Janne Niinamaa
Jyrki Lumme
Peter Popovic
Marko Kiprusoff
Martti Jarventtie

So the habs lost Vokoun and Kipprusoff for nothing? OMG.

:sarcasm:

Chet-Nick 01-05-2009 11:11 PM

How did you guys forget Thomas Rundqvist? :yo: Played 2 games for the Canadiens during the 1984-85 season. Where he got an assist.

Spent most of the year in Sherbrooke (AHL) - where he won a Calder Cup with Roy and the gang. Rundqvist then returned to his native Sweden that summer. :handclap:

Hackett 01-06-2009 12:08 AM

I thought the list would be longer TBH. I've always mentioned the trouble we've had with developing swedes, but the picture from finland is probably even bleaker.

Sined 01-06-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gohabsgo_11 (Post 17171644)
So the habs lost Vokoun and Kipprusoff for nothing? OMG.

:sarcasm:

The crappy Kipper!

Dripper 01-06-2009 01:05 AM

I wonder if this team could rely on Joni Puurula or Chris Heino-Lindberg between the pipes. I remember like five years ago when they were both ranked higher than Halak in our prospect list.

http://web.archive.org/web/200308101...am.php?team=17

As far as goaltending goes, only 4 Euro goaltenders ever played for the Habs (I think). They are Vokoun, Huet, Aebischer and Halak.

Joe Cole 01-06-2009 07:51 AM

When Marko Kiprusoff was a Hab, I thought he showed good potential as a puck mover. Somehow he just never got the chance to stick with the team.

Worst part, it was not as if we were overflowing with defensive talent at the time.

Oh well.

LePoche69 01-06-2009 08:44 AM

...so let's try a first all star team...

Forwards:
Koivu
Naslund
Dahlin

Dmen:
Lumme
Popovic

Goalie:
Heino-Lindberg

Well... I beleive the line could have played well in the NHL, as Koivu and Naslund are well good enough to carry Dahlin that would score some goals with them, anywhere between 20 and 40. That said, you replace Dahlin by Sundstrom or Dackell and you do have a real NHL line, soft, but prettty good.

And this Dmen duo, while soft like crazy, could hold his own ok, I guess. Lumme was pretty good for a few season, and Popovic could have been ok as a sixth-seventh d-man for a few season...

For the goalie, well, I guess we'll never know...