HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Will Streit be booed at the all-star game? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=592616)

centrehice 01-08-2009 02:35 PM

Will Streit be booed at the all-star game?

No surprise that our old players are all getting booed at home, but for me, that was always to throw them off their game.

Streit played well for us, and went where the money was (who can blame him?).

Personally, I hope he doesn't get booed, and gets one of the louder cheers.

Adam91 01-08-2009 02:39 PM

Should he; probably not, will he; of course.

Habs fan booed Rivet who was traded after giving 100% every night for his entire career as a Hab.

Chet-Nick 01-08-2009 02:45 PM

Knowing Montreal fans. Possibly. You would have to think that there will be many fans, from others cities, at the Bell Centre for the All-Star festivites. Therefore, the booing may not be that extreme.

Sometimes fans, not just Canadiens fans, tend to be a bit too harsh on their former players. The only time fans should boo is, if that specific player created a large degree of animosity while on his former team. Other than that. Keep your yap shut and enjoy the game.

dlmm 01-08-2009 02:46 PM

Honestly, I don't get most of montreal fans, why the hell would they boo streit when he was never really given the chance to resign with us? Honestly I am embarassed of some fans that makes the rest of us look bad.

Jarmusch 01-08-2009 02:48 PM

This is the All-Stars game, nobody will get booed but Chara... wich is just normal !
Streit and Souray will get very big cheers.

Pascal 01-08-2009 02:48 PM

I hope not..

Phil Parent 01-08-2009 02:50 PM

I hope not.

Jee 01-08-2009 02:52 PM

I definitely hope not.

terreur 01-08-2009 02:53 PM

I certainly hope not, the guy REALLY wanted to resign with us but we didn"T want him... it's not really is problem...

lou4gehrig 01-08-2009 02:59 PM

See this is the thing I don't get. Streit is a supposed All-Star, yet he wouldn't crack our top 7 defensemen. He puts up stats, but he's no All-Star.

They really have to stop this selecting one player per team deal. It's really weak.

hototogisu 01-08-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lou4gehrig (Post 17221784)
Streit is a supposed All-Star, yet he wouldn't crack our top 7 defensemen.

Uh, are you serious?

Kriss E 01-08-2009 03:02 PM

It's the All-Star game...not sure he'll be booed. I don't think it's going to be the typical crowd.

Bill McNeal 01-08-2009 03:03 PM

It will be interesting.

I've always held the belief that Montreal fans have different booing standards for different situations, and the booing of former players even has its own subcategories.

They may boo a former player to get them off their game (like Rivet, for example), for leaving for more money (Souray may get this treatment, although he isn't the best example), or for sucking while they were here (Samsonov).

The first category, if my theory is correct, probably won't be booed at the All-Star game. Streit falls into this category. The second category could potentially be booed but seeing as we don't have any real good examples of this happening (like the Jagr in Pittsburgh situation), I don't think Souray will be booed. If Samsonov were an All-Star, he'd definitely be booed.

As for players who never played for us, they fall under 2 categories to earn boos:

1. They are their team's best player (only deepened if that team is a rival)
2. They did something that for one reason or another Habs fans won't/don't want to forget (be it not sign here as a UFA or a dirty play)

Chara falls into the first category and will probably get booed. But as a counter-example, we used to boo Jagr when he was in NY but I'm sure he wouldn't receive the same treatment at an All-Star game.

Lucic falls into the 2nd category, or a guy like Tucker. They'll always be booed. Justin Williams should be booed, but I guess that goes to show the wounds cut deeper when it's a classic rivalry.

Finally, Crosby would fall into both of these categories as he is both a great player and many Montreal fans don't like his on-ice antics.

Of course, my theory gets shot to sunshine if Streit gets booed on January 25th and we could probably just chalk up the crowd booing to mob mentality and beer.

Habs 01-08-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

See this is the thing I don't get. Streit is a supposed All-Star, yet he wouldn't crack our top 7 defensemen. He puts up stats, but he's no All-Star.

They really have to stop this selecting one player per team deal. It's really weak.

http://olzt0g.bay.livefilestore.com/...arge0012dl.jpg
Please stop posting forever.

Ginoro 01-08-2009 03:05 PM

I'll be embarassed if the fans start booing him... He should get the biggest ovation after our own players

Kriss E 01-08-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure they do that anymore.

Streit could crack our top7, he would have easily fit in our top4 D.
We could have given him less ES Ice time, give more to Gorges, but give him as much PP time as Markov.
The guy leads Ds in pts, he deserves to be there without an inch of doubt.

HotHabsFan* 01-08-2009 03:16 PM

i dont think they will, but i DO know i am so happy to read how the Ruins fans are so pissed at the Habs fans for ballot stuffing. if only they truly cared about their team as much as we do. :cry:

le_sean 01-08-2009 03:22 PM

No I don't think they will at the All-Star game. It's not really an event for booing ex-players. Even if they do it's more of a sign of respect than anything. I don't get why people get angry over it.

Rocket Jr. 01-08-2009 03:24 PM

Ah come on it’s the all star game. There is no points on the line, there will be no booing.
After the 4 Habs representatives, Streit and Sourray will get a very warm welcome.

Habs 4 Life 01-08-2009 03:25 PM

I wouldn't boo anyone participating in the game,espcially not Streit.Guy wanted to stay here and all he asked for was to play defense,he signed elsewhere and now makes a **** load of money,good for him

Bill McNeal 01-08-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 17222298)
I wouldn't boo anyone participating in the game,espcially not Streit.Guy wanted to stay here and all he asked for was to play defense,he signed elsewhere and now makes a **** load of money,good for him

Probably the happiest I've been for a Habs player who signed elsewhere.

Drafted at almost 27 years of age, made the team a year later and found a niche for himself. Next thing you know he's got a 5 year, 20M dollar deal and he's set for life.

Whodda thunkit?

(Enter Phil Parent ;))

lou4gehrig 01-08-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 17221901)
I'm not sure they do that anymore.

Streit could crack our top7, he would have easily fit in our top4 D.
We could have given him less ES Ice time, give more to Gorges, but give him as much PP time as Markov.
The guy leads Ds in pts, he deserves to be there without an inch of doubt.

If you look at who they picked, seems like they still pick one player per team, whether official or unofficial.

As for Streit, he's -5. Gorges is +18 and our 5-on-5 play is much, much better than last year. Those things are related. I think we have a better chance int he playoffs this season with our 5-on-5 play so much better.

CPrice 01-08-2009 03:54 PM

I hope not, the guy was classy and left no bad blood behind.

HabsUnited 01-08-2009 03:54 PM

Why would he be booed? He's representing the East, the home team. Would we boo Lecavalier in a Canada jersey? Of course not. In a Bolts jersey? Sure.

le_sean 01-08-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lou4gehrig (Post 17222804)
If you look at who they picked, seems like they still pick one player per team, whether official or unofficial.

As for Streit, he's -5. Gorges is +18 and our 5-on-5 play is much, much better than last year. Those things are related. I think we have a better chance int he playoffs this season with our 5-on-5 play so much better.

I agree. I feel much more comfortable.

We do miss Streit and he has a good price tag for the Islanders, but that price tag was too much for the Habs.

The Habs had Markov, Komisarek, Hamrlik and Gorges on defence in the summer. The Isles has Witt, Campoli and Gervais. There is a huge difference.