HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Backlund might be playing tonight for the Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=592683)

iggy12 01-08-2009 03:38 PM

Backlund might be playing tonight for the Flames

here is the swedish link http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle4143571.ab

He has been added to the roster and would be replacing Bertuzzi tonight.

Skobel24 01-08-2009 04:35 PM

I can't find anything on this. Checked the Flames website, nothing announced.

EDIT: Nevermind, Im blind as a bat.

bananaz 01-08-2009 04:38 PM

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=402926

damn. im not sure if this is the best option for backlund. hopefully it's only a 1 game thing.

on a side note, maybe this is suppose to be a message to vasteras showing them how they mis-managed backlund? i dunno
*edit: that is assuming he plays tonight

Skobel24 01-08-2009 04:43 PM

apparantly he'll be going to play for Kelowna

sureloss 01-08-2009 04:45 PM

Bertuzzi has a sore back...

if he can't go Backlund will be playing.

Skobel24 01-08-2009 04:49 PM

hmm, not sure how I feel about this one. Can't wait to see him with the club, but I think it might be a bit too soon. I'd rather see Lundmark be called up. Well, best of luck to Backlund if this is the case.

sureloss 01-08-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skobel55 (Post 17225054)
hmm, not sure how I feel about this one. Can't wait to see him with the club, but I think it might be a bit too soon. I'd rather see Lundmark be called up. Well, best of luck to Backlund if this is the case.

Call ups from QC won't make it here in time. This is something that has come up today. I am sure Sutter's preference is someone from QC as well.

Philadelphia Flames 01-08-2009 05:09 PM

here is a better article:

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/2009/01/08/7962321.html

bobhabs46 01-08-2009 05:10 PM

I juste want to see him with the best player of the Flames like Iginla. Backlund is probably the next big star with the Flames. If he play with Backlund, he will can show is great hability.

Lunatik* 01-08-2009 05:15 PM

this doesn't make alot of sense... i thought because he played pro games in Sweden he would have to clear waivers before joining the Flames...

flamesfan12 01-08-2009 05:16 PM

It'll be interesting to see where he plays if Bertuzzi can't go tonight. Does he play the wing and take Bert's spot on the second line or does he center the fourth allowing Boyd to finally move up?

flamesfan12 01-08-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 17225534)
this doesn't make alot of sense... i thought because he played pro games in Sweden he would have to clear waivers before joining the Flames...

He is a prospect on an entry level deal. He's not old enough to be subject to waivers.

Lunatik* 01-08-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamesfan12 (Post 17225592)
He is a prospect on an entry level deal. He's not old enough to be subject to waivers.

contract status is never a factor of waivers... and this is a different type of waivers... but who knows maybe age/experience is a factor... unless they had already designated him to Kelowna and he is an emergency recall... then there could be a loophole

flamesfan12 01-08-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 17225650)
contract status is never a factor of waivers... and this is a different type of waivers... but who knows maybe age/experience is a factor... unless they had already designated him to Kelowna and he is an emergency recall... then there could be a loophole

Dammit your making me think about this. Best answer I could find with a quick search was this.

"Players who start the NHL season in Europe, then sign to play in the NHL must clear waivers prior to joining the team they signed with."

So because Backlund was signed prior to the season he is waiver exempt. That's what I get from that anyways. Pretty sure though because of his age and lack of experience he doesn't need to clear waivers. Can't find anything to back that up though.

Lunatik* 01-08-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamesfan12 (Post 17225865)
Dammit your making me think about this. Best answer I could find with a quick search was this.

"Players who start the NHL season in Europe, then sign to play in the NHL must clear waivers prior to joining the team they signed with."

So because Backlund was signed prior to the season he is waiver exempt. That's what I get from that anyways. Pretty sure though because of his age and lack of experience he doesn't need to clear waivers. Can't find anything to back that up though.

maybe it is the fact he is signed then... it is interesting though

cosmicnavigator 01-08-2009 05:40 PM

It´s the same deal with Tom Wandell for Dallas, he started the season with Timrċ in Sweden but was recalled when the injury bug hit (and Avery). You don´t need to go to waivers unless you are qualified (age, games etc).

qwerty 01-08-2009 05:47 PM

Hope he has a good game tonight. Maybe a Sutter type debut :handclap:

Oblivion 01-08-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 17225534)

He's on an entry level contract and therefore not subject to waivers.

Jimmi Jenkins 01-08-2009 06:34 PM

Backlund? Wow, that would be good times, I might have to tune in to see what the kid can do in the show.

Lunatik* 01-08-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblivion (Post 17227145)
He's on an entry level contract and therefore not subject to waivers.

ok let me say this so you can understand... JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE IS ON AN ENTRY LEVEL CONTRACT DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE WAIVER EXEMPT... Jordan Staal is subject to waivers and he is on his ELC... so is Malkin... and the list goes on...

flamesfan12 01-08-2009 07:01 PM

Well did some research because I am bored and wanted to figure it out. Found an example using a former flame.

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm
Quote:

Andrei Taratukhin signed an entry-level contract in 2006 at age 23, but did not play in the NHL in 2006-07. He is exempt from waivers for 3 years or until he plays in 60 NHL games [whichever comes first].
Pretty much like I thought. Because of his age and lack of games played in the NHL he is exempt from waivers.

abracanada 01-08-2009 08:18 PM

There is really something fishy about all of this. It almost seems like Backlund was intending to play in the World Juniors. This abject failure with Vasteras was outstanding again at the WJC, and so far, he has impressed in his first NHL action.

He is not as bad a player as Vasteras has implied. I think he sand bagged there.

Hyperkookeez* 01-08-2009 10:04 PM

the isles may be a weak team but backlund has not looked out of place

good stuff

bam09 01-08-2009 10:37 PM

Ughh, I only watched the third period due to basketball and homework so I missed two periods of Backlund :cry:

How was he? Did he get much ice time? I am pretty sure he'll head to Kelowna now, but any chance at all that he stays up for a couple more games.

qwerty 01-08-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bam09 (Post 17235627)
Ughh, I only watched the third period due to basketball and homework so I missed two periods of Backlund :cry:

How was he? Did he get much ice time? I am pretty sure he'll head to Kelowna now, but any chance at all that he stays up for a couple more games.

Strong first period. Hit the post 4 seconds into his first NHL shift on a quick spin/shot. He has a very heavy shot and displayed some nice stick-handling ability. He looked confident and never panicked. Overall I was very impressed with his game and I think he could be ready for a top-6 forward duty next season with the Flames.