HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Kukkonen waived (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=592731)

MiamiScreamingEagles 01-08-2009 05:54 PM

Kukkonen waived

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...-Again/2/18769

MiamiScreamingEagles 01-08-2009 05:56 PM

Kukkonen Waived, per Tim P

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...-Again/2/18769
Quote:

No real surprises going into tonight's game against the Minny Wild. Other than the Flyers waived Lasse Kukkonen as I reported on CNSPhilly.com earlier.

This is all part of the larger picture of how to reinstate Danny Briere on the roster off long-term injury. The Flyers need to lose about $4.5 million when that happens off their salary cap.

“If he gets picked up, he goes to that team; if he clear waivers, it gives us options,” said general manager Paul Holmgren tonight in an interview with Ed Moran and myself. “There would be other things we have to do.”

Second time this season Kuk was waived. He cleared last time in November.

Dig Out Your Soul 01-08-2009 06:07 PM

Preparing for Briere. Now tell me Jones is traded and I'm a happy camper.

qwertysac 01-08-2009 06:35 PM

Sorry about the other thread, i searched to see if there already was one, and there wasn't. By the time i got to posting mine, yours was up.

MiamiScreamingEagles 01-08-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwertysac (Post 17227206)
Sorry about the other thread, i searched to see if there already was one, and there wasn't. By the time i got to posting mine, yours was up.

Not your fault, there was a system flaw which delayed posting threads. I posted two threads, as well.

Jaydepps 01-08-2009 06:40 PM

I really hope he is claimed. I feel bad for the guy. He IS an NHL defenseman. I hope he finds a place where the coach won't hate him.

Corduroy 01-08-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul (Post 17226462)
Preparing for Briere. Now tell me Jones is traded and I'm a happy camper.

I like the way you think -- can we dump Knuble as well?

Corduroy 01-08-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydepps (Post 17227333)
I really hope he is claimed. I feel bad for the guy. He IS an NHL defenseman. I hope he finds a place where the coach won't hate him.

I agree -- he played so well after he was aquired -- I dont know what he did to piss of Stevens -- but it must of been something serious

mm6492 01-08-2009 06:49 PM

He may not fit in here but you would think a team who needs a 6th d-man or a 4th line winger would have a spot for him

mm6492 01-08-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corduroy (Post 17227565)

no

he is way more valuable then you think. He is willing to plant his a** in front of the net. He may look bad out there but he is effective

BerubeBox* 01-08-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Not a good idea if you want to get anywhere in the playoffs. The team's thin on vetaran leadership.

GKJ 01-08-2009 09:51 PM

Ridiculous.

JLHockeyKnight 01-08-2009 09:53 PM

Hm. I wasn't aware you could be un-waived.

JXC 01-08-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corduroy (Post 17227591)
I agree -- he played so well after he was aquired -- I dont know what he did to piss of Stevens -- but it must of been something serious

A player who doesn't play simply because the coach dislikes him doesn't slide through waivers.

Norm MacDonald 01-08-2009 09:58 PM

I hope someone picks him up, because I really want him to get a chance somewhere. I pretty sure he'll clear, though.

Miss Mess 01-08-2009 10:01 PM

Poor dude. I also hope a team takes him!

Kaktus* 01-08-2009 10:18 PM

I hope Sbisa is sent back he needs this year playing junior hockey!! Do the right hting Homer.

There are options, including a trade, but that is something the Flyers want to avoid and moving around smaller contract between the Flyers and their AHL affiliate might work. A move that involved a number of salaries could also mean returning rookie defenseman Luca Sbisa to junior hockey. With the return of Randy Jones from hip surgery, Sbisa has been the odd defenseman out more often than not and has played the last three games as a forward and was a healthy scratch last night. *

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._Kukkonen.html

mm6492 01-08-2009 10:22 PM

^^^^^

I at least want to see sbisa play in the rookie game, as he probably will get a shot because they take the most offensively talented d-men, not the best :)

TheKingPin 01-08-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

much everyone has said, that is a horrible idea. The guy makes very little and is going to score 25-30 goals this year. half could be PP. unlike everyone else i have been supporting knuble since the beginning when everyone is worried about his speed. There is a reason why guys like him Bertuzzi, Holmstrom etc etc are effective. They come cheap and score goals. They are keepers. I wish we could just trade Briere. Would fix this whole thing.

Mota 01-08-2009 10:26 PM

I'd take sbisa or kukkonen over jones any day. It's disappointing to see this...kuk is a great 7th defenseman to have.

MsWoof 01-09-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mota (Post 17235340)
I'd take sbisa or kukkonen over jones any day. It's disappointing to see this...kuk is a great 7th defenseman to have.

Agree 100%. I feel bad for him, he's obviously pissed Stevens off somehow but he's still a good player.

Cmoneyflyguy 01-09-2009 08:51 AM

he's VASTLY overrated by this board.
Almost as much as knuble is underrated by this board.

Spongolium* 01-09-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy (Post 17240027)

Just Like downie was. He's a safe 3rd pairing D, that gets knocked off the puck quite easily. One of the best things he has going for him. Is his willingness to jump infront and block any shot thrown at him.

GKJ 01-09-2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy (Post 17240027)

Jones, Alberts and Modry each played their best hockey with the Flyers while playing with Kukkonen. That doesn't mean Kukkonen is great, but the shoe fits.

With Sbisa, everyone's arguably played their worst. That's why he can't get a consistent partner. Again, not saying Sbisa is terrible, but the shoe doesn't fit. And if he's filing in and out of the lineup with Alberts, that's not the responsible thing to do either. And if Kukkonen is claimed, that's not enough salary off the cap.

Toonces 01-09-2009 09:06 AM

*sniff*

Poor Kukks.

Yeah, hopefully someone picks him up, as he deserves to play on an NHL roster regularly. He's a guy cut directly from that mystical Flyer "mold", all effort, and a willingless to do anything to win, it'll be a real shame to see him go.

Sbisa needs to go back down, it's in the best interest of his career. We've seen flashes of how good he could be, but is clearly overwelmed right now, and needs time to work all this out, and just develop more. He's still a gem, he has just fallen in some crap and can't get out without some help.