HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Backstrom (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=592777)

Mike Richards 18 01-08-2009 07:34 PM

Backstrom

So what does everyone think of him now that they have seen him play? I think he would fit great with us on a three year deal if minny falls out of playoff chase before deadline.

Whats everyone think so far?

Jester 01-08-2009 07:35 PM

I think: Salary Cap.

Mike Richards 18 01-08-2009 07:40 PM

He is a UFA there wont be much left of his contract and some salary would go back.

chaosof99* 01-08-2009 07:47 PM

Not trading for him, but I think he'd be a decent pickup as a Free Agent. Unfortunately his contract will probably be more than what we would be willing to pay.

Corduroy 01-08-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 (Post 17229088)
So what does everyone think of him now that they have seen him play? I think he would fit great with us on a three year deal if minny falls out of playoff chase before deadline.

Whats everyone think so far?

He is a good gaolie -- but the WIld play defense first unlike the Flyers

Clown Baby 01-08-2009 08:22 PM

Biron - born 08/15/1977
403 GP
.910 SV%
2.59 GAA

Backstrom - born 02/13/1978
132 GP
.925 SV%
2.16 GAA

I'll stick with Biron.

Mike Richards 18 01-08-2009 08:27 PM

you do realize Backstroms numbers are better right??

BringBackStevens 01-08-2009 08:30 PM

I'd love Backstrom, but it would be tough to make it work

Kaktus* 01-08-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 (Post 17231007)

You do realize that Wild trap. Thats all they do.

BobbyClarkeFan16 01-08-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 17229123)
I think: Salary Cap.

Backstrom won't be a cap breaker. I don't think you'll see anyone shell out a tonne of dough for goalies this offseason. He might hit 4 or 4.5, but he won't get higher. If anyone gives him more, then they're fools.

Jester 01-08-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 (Post 17231477)
Backstrom won't be a cap breaker. I don't think you'll see anyone shell out a tonne of dough for goalies this offseason. He might hit 4 or 4.5, but he won't get higher. If anyone gives him more, then they're fools.

...something GMs prove...every offseason.

Corduroy 01-08-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

If they are going to spend as much or a bit more on goalies -- then they need to revisit the D system or upgrade the D --- With Marty's Up/down play -- I think he can be had for 3 - 3.5 for 2 years -- Unless the Flyers coin the cup -- then all bets are off

TheKingPin 01-08-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clown Baby (Post 17230809)
Biron - born 08/15/1977
403 GP
.910 SV%
2.59 GAA

Backstrom - born 02/13/1978
132 GP
.925 SV%
2.16 GAA

I'll stick with Biron.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 (Post 17231007)

lol is saw that too, done become a lawyer there clown baby.

I like the idea of having a solid goalie, but more one for the future. Not a deadline deal. Id like to trade one of Giroux and JVR to get one.

Mike Richards 18 01-08-2009 10:40 PM

are you just saying like the rest of us that you d like more of a goalie of the future or do you have a goalie in find your refering to KINGPIN

Clown Baby 01-08-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingPin (Post 17235587)
lol is saw that too, done become a lawyer there clown baby.

1] No kidding. Biron spent the majority of his career playing for the Sabres...
and not always the good ones. Backstrom plays for Lemaire's wild.

2] Biron's only a year older, and he has almost 300 games on Backstrom.

3] Biron is a class clown wherever he goes. People love that about him.

Mike Richards 18 01-08-2009 10:49 PM

the old NHL was not as free wheeling and high scoring as it is now either.

WHo would you rather have?

Class Clown
or
Better Goalie

ChumpyG 01-08-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 (Post 17235925)

Class Clown
or
Better Goalie

How far did Backstrom take the Wild in the Playoffs last season?

How far did Biron take the Flyers?

Backstrom's numbers are only slightly better with a much smaller sample size than what Marty has compiled. Marty drives me as nuts as the next guy, but I still like him.

Also, whose numbers were better tonight? :D

dbr2 01-08-2009 11:14 PM

Ask me this when I hate biron. I have a love/hate attitude towards Marty.

FlyHigh 01-08-2009 11:17 PM

Upgrade isn't big enough IMO. Backstrom is impressive, but you do have to keep in mind that he is playing in an extremely conservative system which does a good job at keeping players to the outside and limiting high quality chances. Josh Harding put up a .908 on that team as a rookie and is at .935 this year. In Backstrom's rookie year, Fernandez had a .911.

So I think Backstrom is an above-average goalie, probably better than Biron, but not worth acquiring IMO considering what we'd give up in cap space and/or assets.

Clown Baby 01-08-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 (Post 17235925)

Here's the GA of each team Biron and Backstrom started for (50%+ of total GP).

Biron
246 (projected)
----------------------------------------
221 PER SEASON / 2.69 GAA

Backstrom
185 (projected)
----------------------------------------
198 PER SEASON / 2.41 GAA

The Wild consistently give up less goals than the dead puck era Sabres, and modern Flyers.
Quote:

Class Clown
or
Better Goalie
I'll take the better goalie, as long as his name is Luongo.

kicksave27 01-09-2009 10:06 AM

The wild's goalie are somewhat a product of the lemaire 90's jersey devil defense. You work you're tail off for one shot and it's right back out of the zone. The coverage is great, all the shots are from the outside, rarely get odd man rushes. You stick any competent goalie behind the wild's defense he's going to put up better numbers than biron, who's playing with the flyers defense, which is not that great. They'll give up more scoring chances in one period than the wild will in 2 games. I'm not sure how backstrom is on 2nd saves, because he didn't have to make one the whole night except for the first goal when he was swimming after upshall's shot and didn't recover well at all.

But as usual, when it comes to goalies on HF the grass is always greener on the other team. Almost any move you make is going to be a lateral one, unless it's for the couple truly world class goalies. Look at the last few cup winners, other than giggy, is there really an elite goalie?

Biron has show he's capable of playoff caliber goaltending, stole the montreal series, and looked good against the caps. He needs lemelin to keep him focused and consistent, diagnose little issues before they become huge problems. A lot of goaltending is really mental, good coaching can make a difference, even at the NHL level, they are constantly refining their games.

Raffl House 01-09-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicksave27 (Post 17240970)

But as usual, when it comes to goalies on HF the grass is always greener on the other team. Almost any move you make is going to be a lateral one, unless it's for the couple truly world class goalies. Look at the last few cup winners, other than giggy, is there really an elite goalie?

Even Esche outplayed Brodeur a few years ago. I disagree completely with having an elite goalie, because they cost more and really, NHL goalies are all kind of in a muddled middle with a few outliers of stellar goaltending. We've seen realtive unknowns do very well in the finals (Cam Ward, anyone?) so I don't think allocating all of your cap resources to a goalie is necessary.

In a non-cap world, if you are serious about the Cup, you get a Luongo or Brodeur and you pay them hansomely. In a cap world, you've got to make the smart play -- Biron is a good goalie. We have a very good team. I'd take that over Luongo and whatever schlep they put out in front of him.

rshnk29 01-09-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

That is still too high. According to cap numbers, the Flyers currently have 48 plus million tied up in 16 players heading into next season. A 4 million plus dollar goalie will cost you a good young core player and give you entry level and league minimum contract just to remain cap compliant. Thats also only if the cap stays where it is and there were rumors that it may drop a little.

Mythology 01-09-2009 11:34 AM

Are the opinion expressed here a result of the Wild’s reputation or actually watching them play? Every time I have seen them play this season, about 5 games, I have not been overly impressed with their defensive play. Marek Zidlicky gets major minuets on the blue line is not known as a defensive stand out.
Backstrom is going to the all star game. On the league leader lists he is 5th in GAA, 7th in save %, 4th in # of saves and averages more saves per game than Biron. He averages around 27 saves per game so he does get tested.

GKJ 01-09-2009 02:45 PM

Backstrom and Biron are both getting way over 4 next year. That's why I wish they signed Biron for longer, especially back then when they really didn't have a 'goalie of the future'