HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The real target should be... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=592985)

gusfring 01-09-2009 09:34 AM

The real target should be...
 
Nathan Horton. This is the kind of guy we need. I think we can help our defense with a lower priced guy, like Preissing, and save our cap space for Horton.

JHabs 01-09-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nittany (Post 17240508)
Nathan Horton. This is the kind of guy we need. I think we can help our defense with a lower priced guy, like Preissing, and save our cap space for Horton.

Kaberle plz

Fire Brunet* 01-09-2009 09:37 AM

Ovechkin plz

AH 01-09-2009 09:38 AM

Horton is a poser.

That's all we need, a big dude who doesn't know how to 'bring it'.

HotHabsFan* 01-09-2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nittany (Post 17240508)
Nathan Horton. This is the kind of guy we need. I think we can help our defense with a lower priced guy, like Preissing, and save our cap space for Horton.

no thanks. he is big but doesn't use his size all the time, besides we already have a center that can put up the same type of point totals. he wears a turtleneck !

gusfring 01-09-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AH (Post 17240552)
Horton is a poser.

That's all we need, a big dude who doesn't know how to 'bring it'.

How many games have you seen him play this year? I guarantee that Horton is not a guy that will be the least bit intimidated in a play off series against Philly or Boston - something that I can't say about some of the forwards we have now.

AH 01-09-2009 10:14 AM

I have seen plenty. Guys like him should not be on the trade market. But he is. There has to be a reason for it.

gusfring 01-09-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AH (Post 17241091)
I have seen plenty. Guys like him should not be on the trade market. But he is. There has to be a reason for it.

So all guys on the trade market suck?

neofury* 01-09-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AH (Post 17241091)
I have seen plenty. Guys like him should not be on the trade market. But he is. There has to be a reason for it.

Kinda like how if Laraque was as good as we thought he was going to be, Pittsburgh would've re-signed him :shakehead:

All though, I still think Laraque if he actually PLAYS can be effective for what he is there for.

AH 01-09-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nittany (Post 17241593)
So all guys on the trade market suck?

Guys who are supposed to be franchise players who make $4 million per year long term should not be on the trade market.

Roulin 01-09-2009 10:59 AM

Picking up Horton could work for the Habs. His ability to play center or wing would give Gainey some more options this offseason. However, with the current surplus of forwards, with a number of them becoming UFA's, the timing might be better for this trade in June.

TheCH* 01-09-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nittany (Post 17241038)
How many games have you seen him play this year? I guarantee that Horton is not a guy that will be the least bit intimidated in a play off series against Philly or Boston - something that I can't say about some of the forwards we have now.

Our boys kept up physically in the playoffs against both those teams you mention.

Habsterix* 01-09-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AH (Post 17241642)
Guys who are supposed to be franchise players who make $4 million per year long term should not be on the trade market.

Franchise players don't make $4 million a year long term. Horton is NOT a franchise player.

But I'd take him on my team in a heart beat! Size, grit and skills, something we truly lack. On the other hand, we have too many dipsy-doodlers, players in the same mold, such as Andrei and Sergei, Plekanec, Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, D'Agostini, Higgins (to a lesser point). Nothing wrong with that type of players, but I'd like a better balance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCH (Post 17241818)
Our boys kept up physically in the playoffs against both those teams you mention.

No they didn't. They got pushed around way too easily.

Habs 4 Life 01-09-2009 11:04 AM

Horton and the Florida Panthers if they keep this up are gonna end up being buyers at the deadline

TheCH* 01-09-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix (Post 17241843)
No they didn't. They got pushed around way too easily.

Don't kid yourself. The whole talk during the boston series is how we were the more physical team! Everybody noticed this, not just habs fans.

Habsterix* 01-09-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCH (Post 17241908)
Don't kid yourself. The whole talk during the boston series is how we were the more physical team! Everybody noticed this, not just habs fans.

I'm not kidding anyone, especially not myself. I've watched the series, no worries. ;)

Riverboat Gambler 01-09-2009 11:12 AM

Panthers are in it. For Horton they'd want someone who can produce similarly so we'd be making some sort of a lateral move.

We could add a big guy, but his effort-level is inconsistent and he has little to no playoff experience.

Makes for good discussion but realistically we have the luxury of time and players returning to the line-up. At the deadline the Habs needs will be clearer.

Marc the Habs Fan 01-09-2009 11:27 AM

Nathan Horton plays with very little grit or passion or effort. Ask the Panthers fans on their board.

Habsterix* 01-09-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 17242233)
Nathan Horton plays with very little grit or passion or effort. Ask the Panthers fans on their board.

Horton has 45 hits so far this season. Although not an amazing number, he would still be 5th on our team in that category.

One thing that people need to consider as well is the fact that the motivation might simply not be there anymore for Horton in Florida. I remember when we traded for Kirk Muller from New Jersey. His production wasn't what it could be but he sure turned it around when he came here, in a hockey environment.

Horton is Canadian and I feel that he just needs a shot in the arm, getting back at playing the game that he loves and where better than in Canada to do that?

smon 01-09-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix (Post 17243123)
Horton has 45 hits so far this season. Although not an amazing number, he would still be 5th on our team in that category.

One thing that people need to consider as well is the fact that the motivation might simply not be there anymore for Horton in Florida. I remember when we traded for Kirk Muller from New Jersey. His production wasn't what it could be but he sure turned it around when he came here, in a hockey environment.

Horton is Canadian and I feel that he just needs a shot in the arm, getting back at playing the game that he loves and where better than in Canada to do that?

Perhaps, but why would the Panthers trade Horton if they're in playoff position? It's no secret that Jacques Martin desperately wants to make the playoffs, might even be necessary to save his job. Maybe they'd trade him sure, but it's likely they will want an upgrade? Or another top-six forward? I doubt Montreal will part with that kind of player.

WeezyHabFan 01-09-2009 01:00 PM

No, we dont need him. We need JayBo!!

Habs 4 Life 01-09-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan (Post 17244094)
No, we dont need him. We need JayBo!!

It would be nice to get both in a package but like I said right now the Panthers might wanna gamble and take a shot at the playoffs and maybe trade for some players show Bouwmeester that they are serious and getting him under contract long term before July 1

Stan 01-09-2009 01:14 PM

I'd trade Plekanec and a mid prospect for Horton. Maybe throw in a draft pick. I agree. I think we need a player who goes to the net.

Lone Rogue 01-09-2009 01:15 PM

The real target should be Mario Lemieux. He's just sitting in the offices of Pittsburgh because the team has three top centers. Mario is always ready for a comeback, so why not pick up Super Mario? He's French Canadian, a big center, it makes sense!

Stradale 01-09-2009 01:31 PM

I want the other Kovy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.