HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Michel Therrien (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=593587)

SaintRon 01-10-2009 06:52 PM

Michel Therrien

Greetings. Can any Hab fans fill me in on the details of MT's tenure with the Habs.

His current tenure with the Pens seems eerily familiar to his tenure with the Habs.

Did he lose the team?
If so, what were the circumstances (calling out guys publicly, etc...)
Did he play the same system and refuse to change?
Did he play the passive 1-2-2 he seem to play now?

To be fair, he seems like a guy who can right the ship, but not a long term solution. Further, he seems better suited to shaping young guys (AHL) then actually coaching pros.

Thanks to anyone who can provide me with details, opinions, etc.

Next Best Thing* 01-10-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintRon (Post 17267101)
Greetings. Can any Hab fans fill me in on the details of MT's tenure with the Habs.

His current tenure with the Pens seems eerily familiar to his tenure with the Habs.

Did he lose the team?
If so, what were the circumstances (calling out guys publicly, etc...)
Did he play the same system and refuse to change?
Did he play the passive 1-2-2 he seem to play now?

To be fair, he seems like a guy who can right the ship, but not a long term solution. Further, he seems better suited to shaping young guys (AHL) then actually coaching pros.

Thanks to anyone who can provide me with details, opinions, etc.

Bill Lindsay on the most important faceoff of his career with the Montreal Canadiens, he loses it, and CAR eliminates us.

He is so wrong for your team, I'm sorry I'm harsh but he's my least favourite coach that has ever been in this organization.

Lone Rogue 01-10-2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Best Thing (Post 17267149)
He is so wrong for your team, I'm sorry I'm harsh but he's my least favourite coach that has ever been in this organization.

You have got to be kidding me...

HotHabsFan* 01-10-2009 06:57 PM

sorry to be so blunt, but he has no tact, he thinks he's king ****. and really he's nothing more than an average coach with very few motivational skills.

HotHabsFan* 01-10-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Rogue (Post 17267189)

believe it or not he IS aloud his opinion and i tend to agree with him, except for maybe Tremblay.

Next Best Thing* 01-10-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Rogue (Post 17267189)

That's my opinion. I wasn't around too much for Tremblay, to the poster above, so I have no real beef with that.

Ross MacLochness 01-10-2009 06:59 PM

Our team sucked big time, and the players completely quit on him.

One thing I remember is that before a game in Philly Andre Savard went down to fire Therrien, but he walked in the room and saw him filling out the lineup and didn't have the heart to do it. Habs went out that night and looked like **** again and he was fired the next morning.

Not really important to this thread, but it's one of the few things I remember from that year as I've tried really hard to block it from my memory.

Personally I thought he was a terrible coach in Montreal, got lucky with Theo playing out of his mind.

Lone Rogue 01-10-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Best Thing (Post 17267218)
That's my opinion. I wasn't around too much for Tremblay, to the poster above, so I have no real beef with that.

Worse than Mario Tremblay?

I mean, Therrien wasn't very good. I liked how he was a hot head but it didn't get him anywhere. He also had a **** team at the time.

Mario Tremblay, on the other hand, ran off two superstars (Roy and Turgeon), ran off an enforcer (Brashear), and pretty much played hacked up lines and ran a very good team into the ground. A team only a few seasons off from winning the Cup! If there was anyone out there who made it a tough decision to want to sign with Montreal, it was Tremblay.

Therrien was a drop in the bucket. And screw your opinion ;)

Next Best Thing* 01-10-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Rogue (Post 17267269)
And screw your opinion ;)

Lol.. thanks buddy :D

Metropolitsky 01-10-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Best Thing (Post 17267149)
Bill Lindsay on the most important faceoff of his career with the Montreal Canadiens, he loses it, and CAR eliminates us.

Just to make it clear

Bill Lindsay had the best faceoff % of all habs player in that game

Marc the Habs Fan 01-10-2009 07:05 PM

Basically the last season (2002-03) with MT is what you guys are going through now. A complete and utter **** storm with a team in turmoil after a great playoff run the year before (for the '02 habs, winning a round was their cup final).

Roke 01-10-2009 07:05 PM

Next Big Thing took the words right out of the month, except he would be my 2nd least favorite coach in the history of the organization (Tremblay is clearly #1 in that category).

JHabs 01-10-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotHabsFan (Post 17267216)
believe it or not he IS aloud his opinion and i tend to agree with him, except for maybe Tremblay.

I agree aswell, I absolutely despise MT for his coaching. Claude Julien is one of my fav Coaches.

Whitesnake 01-10-2009 07:15 PM

Michel Therrien might be at his best with less talented teams that work, work and work. He is not a fit for the Pens that's for sure. I'm not too sure NHL teams should just forget about him though.

SaintRon 01-10-2009 07:16 PM

Thanks for the answers guys. Any idea if he lost the room and if so, what caused it? Was it the playoff loss or did he do something else. The Habs started the season off pretty good, then lost a whole bunch of games (just like the Pens are now). Did he call someone out publicly?

JHabs 01-10-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintRon (Post 17267595)
Thanks for the answers guys. Any idea if he lost the room and if so, what caused it? Was it the playoff loss or did he do something else. The Habs started the season off pretty good, then lost a whole bunch of games (just like the Pens are now). Did he call someone out publicly?

Well I'm not so sure if he called the Habs out specifically, probably did, but i know for a fact he called out his whole team in his first year in Pittsburgh. Saying they didn't want to win etc.... He plays a very old school style of motivation, kick em where it hurts and pray they get up and kick you back. But more often then not it backfires and negative motivation just hurts your team.

Habsfan2992 01-10-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djee#9 (Post 17267303)
Just to make it clear

Bill Lindsay had the best faceoff % of all habs player in that game

I sure as hell hope that was sarcasm, having Yannick Perreault on the bench.
Please tell me you forgot the >>>:sarcasm:

Marc the Habs Fan 01-10-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintRon (Post 17267595)

If he did lose the room, it happened after the Bill Lindsay/game 4 of the Hurricanes series fiasco more than anything. I remember a vet (anonymously) telling the media that Therrien lost them that game and what not.

BTW, people bring up Lindsay as if it was the only thing. The REAL turning point was Therrien visibly complaining about a call when we were up 3-0 in the 3rd, with a horrible yellow mustard jacket in evidence making him stick out even more, which led to Fraser given the Habs a bench minor and a very long 5 on 3 for Carolina.

He had no clear system - Claude Julien took over in January and I remember he said to one of our radio guys (Tony Marinero of the Team 990) after a couple of weeks on the job that the Habs were a team that when they worked hard, they spent so much useless energy running around because there was no system in place. As a smaller team, they were in a horrible position come the 3rd period as a result.

Mike8 01-10-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 17268645)
If he did lose the room, it happened after the Bill Lindsay/game 4 of the Hurricanes series fiasco more than anything. I remember a vet (anonymously) telling the media that Therrien lost them that game and what not.

Wasn't that Quintal, who was known to yap a whole lot to the media and wasn't too popular in the Hab room?

Guy Caballero 01-10-2009 08:24 PM

In my opinion, his ego may have cost us a trip to the Cup finals.

JrHockeyFan 01-10-2009 08:28 PM

That bench penalty Therien took in that Carolina series was THE turning point of that series. Whether he deserved it or not many will debate, but I wish he had been more disciplined at the time. I think it was Kerry Fraser that collared him. But Therien shoulda kept his mouth shut

I wasn't sorry to see him go. Seemed like he was perpetually in a lousy mood. I can't remember him being a positive guy at all. I can see how he could easily lose the players. Not sure how good of an Xs and Os guy he is.

To be fair I think Pittsburgh is not as deep a team as folks want to believe. I think Fleury is over-rated in net too. It may be time to focus less on Sid the Kid and start focusing on building a team there.

emb24* 01-10-2009 08:56 PM

he is and was a hot head and yeller. lol.
that only goes so far with pro teams. if you don't
curb it, you get flushed. this is pro sports.
they say he modified it, but i suspect he hasn't and it has
probably worn thin with pens players

kovalost27 01-10-2009 09:57 PM

The Carolina series turned when Arturs Irbe replaced a cold Kevin Weekes. Irbe shut us down and Montreal fell from that point. Therrien was an OK coach. I think the problem was more Andre Savard at that time. You can't coach a weak team to the Stanley Cup. For Montreal up 2-0 against Carolina in the second round in the playoffs was miraculous.

Its the same thing for the Penguins. You cannot expect to score many goals with a left winger (Dupuis) on the first line with a record of 30-something points. Also, it doesn't help that Fleury isn't dependable.

Fish on The Sand 01-10-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant1r (Post 17271966)
The Carolina series turned when Arturs Irbe replaced a cold Kevin Weekes. Irbe shut us down and Montreal fell from that point. Therrien was an OK coach. I think the problem was more Andre Savard at that time. You can't coach a weak team to the Stanley Cup. For Montreal up 2-0 against Carolina in the second round in the playoffs was miraculous.

Its the same thing for the Penguins. You cannot expect to score many goals with a left winger (Dupuis) on the first line with a record of 30-something points. Also, it doesn't help that Fleury isn't dependable.

you are getting the two Carolina series mixed up. Irbe in 2002 did not shut us down, it was Ward in 2006 that did. In 2002 we were not up 2-0, but rather 2-1, and we were 4 seconds away from going up 3-1.

Nedved 01-10-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarfangor (Post 17267460)
I agree aswell, I absolutely despise MT for his coaching. Claude Julien is one of my fav Coaches.

me too. ill always miss julien.