HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Player Ratings after 41 games! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=593666)

mario66lemieux* 01-10-2009 10:48 PM

Player Ratings after 41 games!

After 41 games, rate all habs!

Forwards:

Alex Kovalev: B- Had a rough 20 game goal-less drought, but still is tied for the team lead in points, and leads all forwards in assists as well. Also had some pretty good sequences on the pk, killing time with his puck control a few times. Overall, not a bad season for him, but a bit of a dissapointment compared to last year.

Robert Lang: A+ Biggest surprise of the year for the habs, has taken over as the lead centerman since Koivu's injury and has been very consistent all year long. His experience will be crucial down the road.

Alex Tanguay: B- Started off the season in great form, was consistently putting up points but ever since Saku's injury he slowed down and then got injured. Not a great year so far by his standards, but I have no doubt he will do better in the last portion of the season.

Saku Koivu: B A great start for him as well, but unfortunately got injured. It seems whoever he plays with excells, as Dagostini, Tanguay and Higgins would tell you.

Tomas Plekanec: C Very bad season for him until the last week or so. Really dissapointing. Unlike Kovalev when he had his 15+ game goal less drought, he wasnt producing assists or creating chances either. Just glad he woke up because he might just be our best center when on his game.

Andrei Kostitsyn: B- He really saved his rating with his play the last few weeks. Things are starting to heat up for him again, being on pace for a 30 goal year. Probably has the best shot of any hab, just needs to be more consistent with it. Still his 2nd full season in the league though, so I guess he will get better over time.

Sergei Kostitsyn: C- Pretty bad year for him this year, just not producing and since the last week or two, not creating any chances either. Benched a few times, but I'm glad he's woken up. Hopefully tonight's goal gives him the confidence he needed.

Max Lapierre: A- What to say about Lapierre, he's shown up in every game this year, and his energy just rubs off on everyone else on the team. The goals have been a bonus. Who would've predicted a Maxim Lapierre hat trick?

Guillaume Latendresse: C A pretty quiet year for him, but he hasnt been that bad. He's getting better at using his body to protect the puck along the boards and forms a good checking line duo with Lapierre.

Tom Kostopoulos: B All heart, fights for his teammates even though he knows he will lose. A real leader and great at his role as a 4th liner. Carbo take notice of that please!

Chris Higgins: C- Save for his hat trick game against Ottawa, he has only scored in 2 of the remaining 20 games he has played this year. He adds energy and works hard, sure, but he needs to produce a little more if he wants to remain on the top 2 lines, or even the 3rd. Injury fiddled first half, but hopefully he will be back and better then ever in the 2nd half, which has historically been his bread and butter anyway.

Matt Dagostini: B A real spark for the habs ever since his callup. He had 6 goals in 10 games which is amazing for a rookie.

Max Pac: / Too early to rate, but he's been pretty dam good so far. His goal on his first shot was a beauty, and he's meshed well with Kovalev.

The others like Dandenault, Begin, Laraque and Chipchura have either not played enough games, or are not really that important to rate.

Defencemen:

Andrei Markov: A+ On pace for 62 points and 50 assists. Combine that with his amazing defensive play and first pass out of the zone, and you get the perfect dmen, the best in the east.

Mike Komisarek: A- We saw how important he was to the team during his absence. He's great at covering the superstars of the opposing team, and I'm glad he got voted in for the all star game!

Roman Hamrlik: B+ A rock defensively, and pretty good offensively this season as well. I want to see him sneak in from the back door a bit more like earlier in the year, but overall he's been solid.

Josh Georges: A- Amazing improvement over last year, he's looked like Markov at times this year offensively, and like Hamrlik defensively. One of my favorites!

Francis Bouillon: C+ Not a bad year for him, but not a great year either. Bouillon is bouillon, but I love his heart as always!

Patrice Brisebois: C- Same as bouillon, although he's provided some offense this year, but his bad turnovers really overshadow all the good.

Goalies:

Carey Price: A+ 16-4-5 2.30 GAA 0.921 Save %, Not much more to say. He's been consistent as consistent can be this year. Only 3 regulation losses in 24 games that he started? That's insane. Save for his two bad games in a week against Boston and TO allowing 6 goals a piece, he's been a wall. I cant wait till he comes back.

Jaro Halak: B- Not too bad, not too good. He's done a good job filling in for Price. Anytime a goalie is winning games, you cant really complain.

Lone Rogue 01-10-2009 11:03 PM

Koivu should be an A to A+, he was on fire for us. I don't see how his score should be hurt from an injury.

Latendresse deserves a B range.

MisterTrep 01-10-2009 11:09 PM

I don't like this thread it's not fair.

Please rate the team, nothing else.

a guy like Andrei Kostitsyn had the potential to score 40 goals back in october. he's on pace for a 20ish goals season now. so what.

Everybody says Plekanec is having a bad season. How come he havent been scratched yet ? he's playing well. he's just not scoring... PowerPlay has been bad for the first half of the season. it's a big part of point production for the whole team. he shouldnt have a bad rating.

This stuff is totally unfair. Rate the team as a unit.

#2eddieshore 01-10-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario66lemieux (Post 17273185)

The others like Dandenault, Begin, Laraque and Chipchura have either not played enough games, or are not really that important to rate.

Begin has played 30 games!

He is a hard worker and certainly one of the best hitters on the team.

He is also very valuable on the PK.

I would give him a B+

JGRB 01-10-2009 11:23 PM

Pretty good ratings overall, i'd say.

VAN-HAB 01-10-2009 11:29 PM

Brisebois W-

Habs10Habs 01-10-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAN-HAB (Post 17274295)
Brisebois W-

lol....ok this one made me laugh.

Lone Rogue 01-10-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 17274455)
lol....ok this one made me laugh.

It sort of makes sense. We still win with Brisebois, but people still ***** and complain about Breezer like we lost the game.

Habs10Habs 01-10-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Rogue (Post 17274565)
It sort of makes sense. We still win with Brisebois, but people still ***** and complain about Breezer like we lost the game.

Yeah I know, I'm not Breezer's biggest fan. But he's done pretty much what I've expected of him this season. So when I look at how he's played the first half of the season. I'm not jumping for joy, but I'm not disappointed either.

Nice ratings mario66lemieux, I agree with a bunch of them.

zx81 01-10-2009 11:57 PM

Brisebois bashers are just immature men who do it because it's so "in". It's like starting to smoke, it's idiotic but you do it to be part of the gang.

The guy has been quite good for a 6th defenseman.

He made some mistakes but you guys should watch other teams 6th D's.

Heck Patrice got 5 assists and is +4 in his last 4 games.

He made a mistake tonight but other than this he was solid and contributed to the comeback in the 3rd.

What you guys are expecting from Breezer exactly ?
He's doing fine.

I give him a C+.

Ape Clutch 01-10-2009 11:59 PM

Please fix your Saku Koivu rating

VAN-HAB 01-11-2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zx81 (Post 17275041)
Brisebois bashers are just immature men who do it because it's so "in". It's like starting to smoke, it's idiotic but you do it be part of the gang.

The guy has been quite good for a 16th defenseman.

He made some mistakes but you guys should watch other teams 6th D's.

Heck Patrice got 5 assists and is +4 in his last 4 games.

He made a mistake tonight but other than this he was solid and contributed to the comeback in the 3rd.

What you guys are expecting from Breezer exactly ?
He's doing fine.

I give him a C+.

agree
:yo:

Sined 01-11-2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterTrep (Post 17273797)
a guy like Andrei Kostitsyn had the potential to score 40 goals back in october. he's on pace for a 20ish goals season now. so what.

So he is going to score >17 goals for the remaining 41 games?

Iwishihadacup 01-11-2009 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sined (Post 17276813)

he got 13 goals at mid-season games, he scored 26 last year in full season... go figure :P

LyricalLyricist 01-11-2009 01:49 AM

I don't agree with boullion, latendresse, kouv and breezer. They should all be higher. Koivu was the only guy playing some nights. Latendresse is now a plus player, he's being effective and maybe, just maybe this year he'll hit the 40 point mark, improvement. Boullion, as evidenced by the Toronto game and many others, is a huge part of a team toughness, full marks when a guy 5'8 doesn't back down and let his team get intimdated. Breezer is on pace for 25 points this year, major improvement to last year and he has his moments but he's had more good games than last year...doesn't mean much considering last year I felt he wasn't good at all, but whatever, this year he's better.

Maxpac 01-11-2009 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sined (Post 17276813)

in my country, 13 + 17=30, not 40

Erythro73 01-11-2009 02:30 AM

Ok, I drank a little bit tonight, but here are my ratings of the habs:

Alex Kovalev: B+ Not as good as last year, but still one of our main assets. Still, one of the main reason why he's not as good as last year seems to be Plekanec who plays very much terribly.

Robert Lang: A- Pretty good, actually, I'm very surprised.

Alex Tanguay: B Good, but there's room for improvement after his good start.

Saku Koivu: A Damn surprising. This is what happen when you give him good wingers. He has a lot of talents and he has heart.

Tomas Plekanec: C+ He seems to have woke up, but for a part of the year, he was terrible. No wonder why Kovy isn't producing as much as last year.

Andrei Kostitsyn: B Had some bad parts and good parts. He's quick and have a terrific shot.

Sergei Kostitsyn: C+ Need to stay calm in the game in order to not get caught in the heat of the game which doesn't fit him well.

Max Lapierre: A- I'm impressed recently, but he doesn't deserve better as, for the first few games he played, he was just plain normal.

Guillaume Latendresse: B Need to have talented wingers to produce more. He was impressive along with Koivu and Tanguay.

Tom Kostopoulos: B+ Heart, Heart, Work, Work.

Chris Higgins: C+ Hope you'll be better when you'll return!

Matt Dagostini: A- Wow! This guy has been impressive.

Steve Begin: B-

Andrei Markov: A This guy is our no1 defenceman, but he could've been better sometimes.

Mike Komisarek: A This guy is our future captain and we all know how much this guy is important for the habs.

Roman Hamrlik: A- Rock solid, I'm very surprised he plays this good for us.

Josh Georges: A- I'm very surprised how he evolved from the very moment we got him. Wow!

Francis Bouillon: B-

Patrice Brisebois: B He's still doing some errors, but I'm impressed the way he plays and giving all his efforts and heart into the game.

Carey Price: A Impressive so far. I'm glad we switch from Huet to him as I think he is the one for us.

Jaro Halak: B- Need to be more constant!

Redux91 01-11-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ape Clutch (Post 17275115)
Please fix your Saku Koivu rating

man while i didnt TOTALY disagree with the saku rating

i thought i was the only one thinking man, koivu hasnt been bad at ALL this year, in fact a couple of times he looked so amazinig and rejuvinated, his line kept having all the best chances over and over, and his line mates KEPT switching and switching! from latendresse! to higgins! to tanguay, to dagostini! <- ALL WHO DID GREAT at sakus side, and TERRIBLE without!

im going with a solid A for the captain, sorry ;)

Kriss E 01-11-2009 03:16 AM

Koivu has been our best centerman when playing. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't have started the season 8-1-1.
I don't see why getting injured should drop his rating.

For Sergei..I know he's been struggling a bit, but I think people had really high expectations of him. He's pretty much keeping the same pace he had last season. At this rate, he'll have a very respectable season point wise.
He should get a little better rating.

Plekanec has been disappointing, but I disagree. I feel on most nights he's trying really hard and the effort was there.

Lappy has been phenomenal for us, Kosto as well. I don't see anybody getting better grades than them to be honest.

Kovalev shouldn't lose points because you expected him to post back2back career years.

Lats should get more credit as well. He had a great start but because Carbo had so many cards in front of him, he didn't give enough time for Lats to settle in completely with Koivu/Tang. So when Higgins came back, even if Lats was playing well but had a little drop in 1-2games, he was removed.
But we're seeing as the more Ice Time he gets, the more regular his game is. It's tough to cope with new lines every game, getting scratched, new line, etc..We have to give him some credit for finally starting to show more interesting things.

Breezer has been a great surprise too. I'm one of the biggest Breezer critics, but the guy stepped in and does a great job. A better one than anybody expected.

Higgins played 1 more game than Dandy, and to me he's been the most disappointing. But Dandy has also been great in the games he played.

ReVeuF 01-11-2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterTrep (Post 17273797)
I don't like this thread it's not fair.

Please rate the team, nothing else.

Everybody says Plekanec is having a bad season. How come he havent been scratched yet ? he's playing well. he's just not scoring... PowerPlay has been bad for the first half of the season. it's a big part of point production for the whole team. he shouldnt have a bad rating.

This stuff is totally unfair. Rate the team as a unit.

Rate the team... that will be difficult, because of many ugly wins, we are starting to see the real potential but it is mid-season.

B+ (because we should be at Bruins level at least if we played at our potential from game 1 to game 41)

I still remember the bad games...

kernkraft 01-11-2009 08:25 AM

Disappointments:
  • The Kostitsyn brothers earlier on, but they seem to be back in the fold. Andrei has to start hitting the net with his one-timer!
  • O'Byrne, I really thought he made his mark last year but he was terrible this year.
  • Tanguay: isn't worth the money we're paying him. Doesn't get involved in the play enough and doesn't have that much imagination as a playmaker.
  • Komisarek: people are gonna hate me for this, but he's really not playing the way he was last year. I think I can count the amount of defensive mistakes he made all last year on one hand. He's not been as solid so far this year. Still a rock on the blueline, but not worth 5M IMO.
  • Laraque: oft-injured, ineffectual policeman at 1.5M a year, money I'd rather have spent re-signing Streit, but that's a low blow on Gainey.

Surprises
  • Koivu: The captain is back to his old self this season, let's hope he'll be the same in the playoffs.
  • D'Agostini: Cooled off but still getting chances with Begin and Chipchura. He showed that his 4 goals in first 5 games wasn't a fluke. An improvement on Ryder.
  • Higgins: I was one of the many predicting a 40 goal season in his future, but the amount of scoring chances this guy can miss is ridiculous. Hell of a player in all other aspects.

dcyhabs 01-11-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAN-HAB (Post 17274295)
Brisebois W-

He looks bad out there but he gets points, and there have not been many opposing goals with him out there. He seriously botched one last night, though.

ReVeuF 01-11-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kernkraft (Post 17279308)
Disappointments:
  • The Kostitsyn brothers earlier on, but they seem to be back in the fold. Andrei has to start hitting the net with his one-timer!
  • O'Byrne, I really thought he made his mark last year but he was terrible this year.
  • Tanguay: isn't worth the money we're paying him. Doesn't get involved in the play enough and doesn't have that much imagination as a playmaker.
  • Komisarek: people are gonna hate me for this, but he's really not playing the way he was last year. I think I can count the amount of defensive mistakes he made all last year on one hand. He's not been as solid so far this year. Still a rock on the blueline, but not worth 5M IMO.
  • Laraque: oft-injured, ineffectual policeman at 1.5M a year, money I'd rather have spent re-signing Streit, but that's a low blow on Gainey.

Surprises
  • Koivu: The captain is back to his old self this season, let's hope he'll be the same in the playoffs.
  • D'Agostini: Cooled off but still getting chances with Begin and Chipchura. He showed that his 4 goals in first 5 games wasn't a fluke. An improvement on Ryder.
  • Higgins: I was one of the many predicting a 40 goal season in his future, but the amount of scoring chances this guy can miss is ridiculous. Hell of a player in all other aspects.

Seriously i do not see Higgins as a "surprise"... put him in the other category, he is more a bad surprise to me.

WhiskeySeven 01-11-2009 08:33 PM

Tanguay is going to surprise a lot of you as soon as the playoffs start.

Licou 01-11-2009 09:30 PM

I don't get why people are so quick to dismiss Tanguay. He plays a very intelligent game. We will be very thankful to have a player with good offensive touch that plays extremely well defensively in the playoffs.

To a lesser extent about the offense, I will say the same thing about Higgins...