HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Who would you take before Komisarek back at the 2001 draft? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=593759)

NewHabsEra* 01-11-2009 02:11 AM

Who would you take before Komisarek back at the 2001 draft?

Which players would you take before Komi in that list?

Here are some names:

Kovalchuk
Spezza
M.Koivu
T.Ruutu
Hamhuis
Hemsky
D.Roy
F.Tyutin
M.Cammalleri
J.Pomminville
Plekanec
P.Sharp
Ehrhoff
Wellwood
K.Bieksa
M.Zidlicky
J.Jokinen
Huet
Svatos

Clumsyhab 01-11-2009 02:16 AM

Kovalchuk

Maybe Spezza and Mikko.

Kriss E 01-11-2009 02:19 AM

Is it really a question?..

Kovalchuk hands down.

NewHabsEra* 01-11-2009 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clumsyhab (Post 17278301)
Kovalchuk

Maybe Spezza and Mikko.

Personally I think its very close between Mikko and Komo..

Spezza is a joke, I would take about anyone in that list before him..

NewHabsEra* 01-11-2009 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by number9 (Post 17278376)
plekanec. oh wait..

Dont considere what teams they are playing for, just select the ones you think that bring more to the table for a team.. Plekanec was a steal in the third round, could have been a first pick easily in that draft..

Brownies 01-11-2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsArea (Post 17278378)

The guy who have scored over 90 points and who's not in his prime yet ? You may not like him, but him and Kovalchuk are the clear #1 and #2 in this draft. I like Komisarek, but he's not in their league.

JeromeHP 01-11-2009 02:50 AM

To be honest only kovalchuk and the younger koivu and speaking of mikko koivu, this week ive heard (somewhere) at the 2001 draft timmins (who was with ottawa at the time) at mikko koivu ranked as the 2nd best prospects in the draft after kovalchuk but was out ruled by marshall johnson at the draft table because speeza was an ontario kid!!!

7 years later i would take mikko koivu on my team before speeza any days of the week and twice on sunday lol :yo:

NewHabsEra* 01-11-2009 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownies (Post 17278499)
The guy who have scored over 90 points and who's not in his prime yet ? You may not like him, but him and Kovalchuk are the clear #1 and #2 in this draft. I like Komisarek, but he's not in their league.

Playing with guys like Heatley, Alfredsson, spending about all the PP long on the ice.. :shakehead

Spezza has elite hands but plays soft as hell and is a high risk player, a turnover machine.. I wouldnt want this guy on my team for free.. Komi is way more important for a team than Spezza will ever be.. Its one thing to reach points, but when you cheat offensively, you will be scored against too.. Spezza has nothing different of Yashin, both are soft, both are cold most of the time, they desapear when the game becomes more physical.. Spezza isnt a competitor and thats the reason why Sens fans cant stand him anymore and that no GM in this league with a head would take a chance to waste 7-8 millions per year.. If you go for the show, I could understand but if you go by reliability and overall package, its not even close, Komi is the king!

NewHabsEra* 01-11-2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markov79fan (Post 17278519)
To be honest only kovalchuk and the younger koivu and speaking of mikko koivu, this week ive heard (somewhere) at the 2001 draft timmins (who was with ottawa at the time) at mikko koivu ranked as the 2nd best prospects in the draft after kovalchuk but was out ruled by marshall johnson at the draft table because speeza was an ontario kid!!!

7 years later i would take mikko koivu on my team before speeza any days of the week and twice on sunday lol :yo:

the obvious choice, Mikko has basically nothing around him and still put alot of pts on the board playing a pretty solid overall game at the same time..

JeromeHP 01-11-2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsArea (Post 17278615)
the obvious choice, Mikko has basically nothing around him and still put alot of pts on the board playing a pretty solid overall game at the same time..

yep but looking back at the 01draft i was really high on tummo ruutu (more than koivu) but injury really hurt ruutu over the years

GNick42 01-11-2009 05:06 AM

The Spezza contract will end up being a albatross around the Sens neck. He's a cap killer, too good to release but too expensive too trade. Similar to the Yashin contract, ironic they were once traded for each other

ReVeuF 01-11-2009 05:38 AM

The Habs are 18-3 when Komi is healthy... he is far more important for a team, only Kovalchuk might help more.

SooperSingh 01-11-2009 07:07 AM

considering what was left after the 7th pick, i'd take komi over any one of those guys. Wow, that makes you realize how weak of a draft '01 was.

Monctonscout 01-11-2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

Even if Komisarek is a better player NOW, I'd still take Spezza with the pick and trade him as he has twice the trade value.

John Belushi 01-11-2009 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsArea (Post 17278270)

Here are some names:

Kovalchuk
Spezza
M.Koivu
T.Ruutu
Hamhuis
Hemsky
D.Roy
F.Tyutin
M.Cammalleri
J.Pomminville
Plekanec
P.Sharp
Ehrhoff
Wellwood
K.Bieksa
M.Zidlicky
J.Jokinen
Huet
Svatos

The ones bolded are the players I'd snag before Komisarek... still a great player though and someone I would certainly take on the Canucks.

znk 01-11-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Thank god you aint no GM.

beowulf 01-11-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 17278330)
Is it really a question?..

Kovalchuk hands down.

Ya but in that list I think he is about the only one I would take.

Seguins Dragon* 01-11-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Here are some names:

Kovalchuk
Spezza
M.Koivu
T.Ruutu
Hamhuis
Hemsky
D.Roy
F.Tyutin
M.Cammalleri
J.Pomminville
Plekanec
P.Sharp
Ehrhoff
Wellwood
K.Bieksa
M.Zidlicky
J.Jokinen
Huet
Svatos

Kovalchuck, Spezza, M. Koivu....MAYBE Hemsky and Cammerelli, but the first 3 for sure

kostitsyn1489 01-11-2009 09:10 AM

Kevin Bieksa maybe. Both are great D, but Bieksa brings more then Komisarek in alot of area, but Komisarek is great for the team too, more reliable defenively then Bieksa. Either one I'd be happy with.

Beside that, on draft day my guy was Mikko Koivu, but was picked just before our pick which pissed me off at the time. Not sure if it was U18 or U20 but he really impressed me during his draft year.

Beside that, I've always been a big Hemsky fan, not sure if he brings more then Komi, but maybe i would take him over Komi cause he's one of my favorite player. Derek Roy great player too.

And obviously Kovlachuk and Spezza, who is to me the most underated player in the league. Everybody says he sucks, turns the puck over like crazy and all, but it's blown out of proportion quite a bit to me. The guy has got some sick skills.

le_sean 01-11-2009 09:36 AM

Bieksa? Come on. Vancouver was just about the same when he went down whereas this team really suffers when Komisarek is hurt.

People need to watch Spezza live to see just how bad he really is. Yes he's great in the offensive zone, but that's it. Just terrible decisions elsewhere.

Komisarek's worth cannot be measured statistically other than in block shots and hits. He's much more to us than that though.

HH 01-11-2009 09:44 AM

Savard thought Kovalchuk was the real deal and made a bid to Atlanta to get the pick.

I'm still happy that we got Komisarek though.

kostitsyn1489 01-11-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 17279887)
Bieksa? Come on. Vancouver was just about the same when he went down whereas this team really suffers when Komisarek is hurt.

People need to watch Spezza live to see just how bad he really is. Yes he's great in the offensive zone, but that's it. Just terrible decisions elsewhere.

Komisarek's worth cannot be measured statistically other than in block shots and hits. He's much more to us than that though.

We are scoring like 6 goals per game lately without Koivu Higgins and Tanguay, so they are useless? That's pretty much what i understand from your first statement.

Spezza isnt the only forward in the league that is average in the D zone. It's not like Komi is any kind of hot in the offensive zone either... I think Spezza can be better in defensive zone, he's just not consistent and when your team sucks and wont make the playoff it shows more.

And it's no knock on Komi, he's a great player for us no doubt about that. Sometimes we tend to "overate" what our players bring. Bieksa is a leader too, he fights as well, he's gritty too. I'm pretty sure he's a really good guy in the locker room like Komisarek, but hey who cares he's in Vancouver.

x-bob 01-11-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Here are some names:

Kovalchuk
Spezza
M.Koivu
T.Ruutu
Hamhuis
Hemsky
D.Roy
F.Tyutin
M.Cammalleri
J.Pomminville
Plekanec
P.Sharp
Ehrhoff
Wellwood
K.Bieksa
M.Zidlicky
J.Jokinen
Huet
Svatos

I'm not the biggest fan of Mike Komisarek but I still appreciate what he brings to the team. I think that I would take Spezza, Kovalchuk, Roy (One of th eleagues most underrated players) and Koivu.

le_sean 01-11-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 (Post 17279971)
We are scoring like 6 goals per game lately without Koivu Higgins and Tanguay, so they are useless? That's pretty much what i understand from your first statement.

Spezza isnt the only forward in the league that is average in the D zone. It's not like Komi is any kind of hot in the offensive zone either... I think Spezza can be better in defensive zone, he's just not consistent and when your team sucks and wont make the playoff it shows more.

And it's no knock on Komi, he's a great player for us no doubt about that. Sometimes we tend to "overate" what our players bring. Bieksa is a leader too, he fights as well, he's gritty too. I'm pretty sure he's a really good guy in the locker room like Komisarek, but hey who cares he's in Vancouver.

Those three being out has nothing to do with what I said. The only new player contributing with Koivu, Tanguay and Higgins out is Pacioretty and that is expected with his first few games. Are you going to deny Komisarek is a huge part of this team? You think it's just a coincedence that when Markov is out too this team suffers? There is a different dimension to this team with Komi in. He was hurt last playoffs and you could tell the Habs were being dominated physically.

Spezza is not average in the defensive zone, he's bad. To be an elite player in the league you need to at least pick up your game in all zones and that's what stops him. Heatley and Alfredsson got the memo and they are more vital to the Sens' success.

I just don't really like Bieksa. It took him a long time to establish himself and even then he's only had one good year.

TheCH* 01-11-2009 10:01 AM

Komisarek turned out to be a real good pick. Not much point in saying i would have taken guys like Kovalchuk or Mikko before him, because they actually did go before him so i wouldn't have had that choice anyway.