HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   what do we need to go to another level (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=59376)

superstar436 03-07-2004 01:12 AM

what do we need to go to another level

After watching the habs tonight I am more sure than ever that we really still need help with ribs (physical winger) and a physical dman. I am not too confident with perrault. I think that he is a good offensive forward (25g-25a), and a great faceoff man, but I am not goinf to playoffs with him. Also, our defence is not tough enough. Other than souray, quinatl (a bit) and komisarek (we have problems with the 4 right-handed dman, none of them can play at left, which means komi will be left out leaving us with souray and quintal). Nobody is going to convince me that rivet is physical.

I am sure that gainey will make another trade to bring a player that will fullfil one of these 2 needs.

Kerberos* 03-07-2004 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waseem
After watching the habs tonight I am more sure than ever that we really still need help with ribs (physical winger) and a physical dman. I am not too confident with perrault. I think that he is a good offensive forward (25g-25a), and a great faceoff man, but I am not goinf to playoffs with him. Also, our defence is not tough enough. Other than souray, quinatl (a bit) and komisarek (we have problems with the 4 right-handed dman, none of them can play at left, which means komi will be left out leaving us with souray and quintal). Nobody is going to convince me that rivet is physical.

I am sure that gainey will make another trade to bring a player that will fullfil one of these 2 needs.

This game was so ugly tonight because every single thing we did we got called on while the Kings were free to do whatever they wanted. I lost count of the number of times habs player were tripped, hooked, obstructed and the goalie was ran over. Now if those penalties had been called , it would have been a more even game as the habs would have had more offensive chances (the kings would have taken less liberties on the habs thereby increasing the chances for the habs). The player who I think suffered the most from this was Ribeiro as he didn't give second efforts and was too weak to fight off the hooking. Anyways, don't panic: as soon as the refs start calling penalties again, it won't be so bad.

electric 03-07-2004 01:41 AM

Quote:

what do we need to go to another level
It would be nice if we could get someone like Kovalev ;)

#44_delivers 03-07-2004 01:43 AM

defencemen to replace quintal's time
and 1 top 6 winger,

quintal's gotten so slow its sad, and we need a physical winger on the second line very badly,

if those 2 factors are dealt with we are improved alote as a core.

Kerberos* 03-07-2004 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electric
It would be nice if we could get someone like Kovalev ;)

Hey, I've got an idea: why don't we get Kovalev! :eek:

tinyzombies 03-07-2004 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #44_delivers
defencemen to replace quintal's time
and 1 top 6 winger,

quintal's gotten so slow its sad, and we need a physical winger on the second line very badly,

if those 2 factors are dealt with we are improved alote as a core.

I agree, that will get us to another level, but not THE level. We need to upgrade at almost every position, other than Souray, Markov, Koivu, Bulis on the checking line, Theodore/Garon, a mature Komisarek, two of our D dropped to #5-6, we have the makings of a good 4th line... so we need about 9 spots upgraded before we are Cup contenders.

#44_delivers 03-07-2004 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I agree, that will get us to another level, but not THE level. We need to upgrade at almost every position, other than Souray, Markov, Koivu, Bulis on the checking line, Theodore/Garon, a mature Komisarek, two of our D dropped to #5-6, we have the makings of a good 4th line... so we need about 9 spots upgraded before we are Cup contenders.

tell that to the sharks
its not all talent, its a mixture of everything most important being chemistry.

the ones i mentioned do a good job in maintaining a chemistry, i mean 9 spots upgraded would get as nowhere and fast, soon as bulis and sundstrom come back the 3/4th lines will be alote more solid, the second line is basically 66% effective missing a real winger,
and the d corps is really not to bad especialy when souray comes back a huge element will be back on our corp. rivet, bresbois, are top 4 while markov, souray are top 2 (actualy they are very very nice top 2 to have in one team) the cube is a very mobile defencemen(if he's paired up with a physical defender he'll be solid)
quintals done the guy gives more turnovers (nuetral zone and d zone) then komi, seriously its sad, i mean he may be a nice guy or whatever but he's way too immobile.

our team is really not that bad at all.

Natural Habs Fan 03-07-2004 02:03 AM

We need another winger for the 2nd line. Dags & Perrault don't cut it but I guess Bulis could fill in there when he gest back. I'd rather have him playing on the 3rd line though.

I think I've posted this before but:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribiero-(Satan,Daze,Demitra,O'Neill,Sykora)
Bulis-Begin-Dackell/Sundstrom
Langdon-Dowd-Ward

VAN-HAB 03-07-2004 02:05 AM

a winger for Ribeiro+a Domi type of player+a stay home strong defenseman

Mike8 03-07-2004 02:07 AM

What level are you referring to? Contender status? Or a team capable of growing and pushing a contender to a tough series?

superstar436 03-07-2004 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
What level are you referring to? Contender status? Or a team capable of growing and pushing a contender to a tough series?

I think at the moment the habs will go to playoffs, but I really doubt if we get through 1st round. The addition of kovalev is super, but not enough when you look at the 6 teams ahead of us. I honestly think that once playoffs come, ribs line will dissapear. HAve you seen the 2nd line tonight. I did not. Also as many people said: Quintal is immobile, which is true. In The playoffs there will be a lot of puck-movement down low in the corners and quintal seems to be always behind the wingers he is supposed to watch.

I think that the perrault-gauthier will happen and then we will go for a winger. I was checking the calgary board and they need a scorer. Perrault is an answer for them.

s7ark 03-07-2004 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
a winger for Ribeiro+a Domi type of player+a stay home strong defenseman

Oh please lord don't even use the "D" word on the sacred ground that is this board! I think Ryan Smyth type would be more appropriate (Could you imagine that parallel universe? Please hand over the Cup!) :)

superstar436 03-07-2004 02:48 AM

sorry but I meant: " think that the perrault-gauthier could happen and then we will go for a winger. I was checking the calgary board and they need a scorer. Perrault is an answer for them.".
A good player to look at in this moment would be Andrew brunette. A lw, 6 foot 1, 210 lbs, 20 goal scorer, playoff experience. Not a physical guy but I don't think he is a chicken. SAme production as perrault, but better. We can get something for perrault from any team

Marksman 03-07-2004 08:56 AM

Once the wounded return I think we're well set for playoffs. We have better team that upset Bruins couple years ago - even without Theodore stealing that many games.

Habs have lot of forward depth to have different line combinations, balance mix of offensive and defensive players, decent top four defence and easily best goaltending tandem in the east among playoff teams (Brodeur-Brodeur not a tandem).

Natural leftwinger over Dagenais and physical left side dman over Bouillon would be nice, but those arent major holes. Bulis could fill in there and there are Hossa and Plekanec waiting to called-ups. Dykhuis has been OK playing limited role and theres always Hainsey & Beauchemin itching to play with big team.

Only things this team really needs is few years of playoffs experience for their young players and patience not to compromise more future trading for rentals.

jcpenny 03-07-2004 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerberos
This game was so ugly tonight because every single thing we did we got called on while the Kings were free to do whatever they wanted. I lost count of the number of times habs player were tripped, hooked, obstructed and the goalie was ran over. Now if those penalties had been called , it would have been a more even game as the habs would have had more offensive chances (the kings would have taken less liberties on the habs thereby increasing the chances for the habs). The player who I think suffered the most from this was Ribeiro as he didn't give second efforts and was too weak to fight off the hooking. Anyways, don't panic: as soon as the refs start calling penalties again, it won't be so bad.

You're absolutely right about the refs they let the game go out of hand. But when that happens we need to get tougher and while (i must to admit even if i dont want to) perrault has played much better, the size and skill of Kovalev is going to be a Bonus. Also Dagenais is just pylon out there, even when he scores his goals hes a pylon and we saw that yesterday he couldnt follow the pace. So we need that center or winger like Gratton or whoever BG could suprise us with to make us tougher plus that lefty defensman.

markov` 03-07-2004 09:45 AM

What we need to get to the other level?

Wait. Wait for our youngsters, just like the Sens did, leaded by Andre Savard.

turnbuckle* 03-07-2004 09:46 AM

what do we need to go to another level?

Scaffolding

#44_delivers 03-07-2004 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcpenny
You're absolutely right about the refs they let the game go out of hand. But when that happens we need to get tougher and while (i must to admit even if i dont want to) perrault has played much better, the size and skill of Kovalev is going to be a Bonus. Also Dagenais is just pylon out there, even when he scores his goals hes a pylon and we saw that yesterday he couldnt follow the pace. So we need that center or winger like Gratton or whoever BG could suprise us with to make us tougher plus that lefty defensman.

i agree too yanic's been growing on me lately(has hell truely frozen over)

but damn dagenias looks like a 6-5 retard on skates.

plafleur10 03-07-2004 10:33 AM

Witt/Hossa

Get Brendan Witt for Hainsey.You then got yourself a pretty good and big defense:

Brisebois-Souray, Rivet-Markov and Q or Komi-Witt, then a guy like Witt can be Komi's partner-teacher for years to come.

Then bring up red hot Hossa to play with Ribs/Ryder and there you go...

superstar436 03-07-2004 12:44 PM

believe me in the playoffs it will look like yesterday. REfs would not want to decided the game as they say. What would the habs do without a 2nd scoring line. They will be in a huge problem. Maybe gratton is a good solution

habitual_hab 03-07-2004 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #44_delivers
damn dagenias looks like a 6-5 retard on skates.

:lol: :bow: :lol:

Quote:

Yanic's been growing on me lately (has hell truely frozen over).
The Koivu line did a decent job against the speed and tenacity of the Kings last night. The fear factor (of losing a job?) has done wonders for Perreault's play. I might be even tempted to leave Yanic on the 1st line and put Kovalev with Ryder and Ribeiro...

jcpenny 03-07-2004 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habitual_hab
:lol: :bow: :lol:

The Koivu line did a decent job against the speed and tenacity of the Kings last night. The fear factor (of losing a job?) has done wonders for Perreault's play. I might be even tempted to leave Yanic on the 1st line and put Kovalev with Ryder and Ribeiro...

That doesnt mean that Perrault has to stay...

deandebean 03-07-2004 11:06 PM

By the looks of it, unless Ottawa wins the division, I suspect the Habs are going to meet Philly or Taranna. Which means a lot of physicality. This Habs' team has none whatsoever.

This team needs bigger wingers. Stronger wingers. And more physicality on the blue line.

Some say: be patient with the kids. I say: you're right. But... This is the Habs, man. Not the Expos. We don't wait ad vitam aeternam. This team has a pretty good (and young) nucleus. It needs solid veteran presence. Not in 2-3 years. NOW. Listen, cups aren't won with youth alone. In fact, I can't remember the last "young" team winning it. You need a great blend and, right now, this team doesn't have it.

If Gainey went over the board to get Kovalev for 2 months or +, he doesn't want to just be a spectator in the playoffs. He wants to go far. Farther than some here think.

We need grit and size.

deandebean 03-07-2004 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandebean
By the looks of it, unless Ottawa wins the division, I suspect the Habs are going to meet Philly or Taranna. Which means a lot of physicality. This Habs' team has none whatsoever.

This team needs bigger wingers. Stronger wingers. And more physicality on the blue line.

Some say: be patient with the kids. I say: you're right. But... This is the Habs, man. Not the Expos. We don't wait ad vitam aeternam. This team has a pretty good (and young) nucleus. It needs solid veteran presence. Not in 2-3 years. NOW. Listen, cups aren't won with youth alone. In fact, I can't remember the last "young" team winning it. You need a great blend and, right now, this team doesn't have it.

If Gainey went over the board to get Kovalev for 2 months or +, he doesn't want to just be a spectator in the playoffs. He wants to go far. Farther than some here think.

We need grit and size.

And, I'll add this: if his objective is to go farther in the playoffs than expected, he HAS to move before Tuesday. Because if he doesn't, the Kovalev trade will have been a simple shot in the dark, nothing more.

this team needs more than just scoring.