HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NCAA, CIS, and other college (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   The WCHA Playoffs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=59391)

Oilers Chick 03-07-2004 02:41 AM

The WCHA Playoffs

Here are the seedings going into next week's WCHA Playoffs:

1) North Dakota
2) Minnesota-Duluth
3) Wisconsin
4) Denver
5) Minnesota
6) St. Cloud State
7) Colorado College
8) Alaska-Anchorage
9) Minnesota State-Mankato
10) Michigan Tech

The opening round is a best of three series beginning on Friday, March 12th and ending no later than Sunday, March 14th. Select matchups will be televised on either FOX Sports Net North or FOX Sports Net Rocky Mountain.

Below are the opening round matchups:

#1 North Dakota will host #10 MTU at Ralph Engelstad Arena
#2 Minnesota-Duluth will host #9 MSU-Mankato at the DECC
#3 Wisconsin will host #8 UAA at the Kohl Center
#4 Denver will host #7 CC at Magness Arena
#5 Minnesota will host #6 SCSU at Mariucci Arena

THURSDAY, MARCH 18
Alaska-Anchorage vs Colorado College [7:08 CT start]

FRIDAY, MARCH 19 (WCHA Semis)
Game #1: Minnesota vs. Minnesota-Duluth [2:08 CT start]
Game #2: Winner of UAA/CC game vs. North Dakota [2:08 CT start]

SATURDAY, MARCH 20 (WCHA Third Place Game & Finals)
MINN/UMD loser vs. UAA/CC/UND loser [2:08 CT start]
MINN/UMD winner vs. UAA/CC/UND winner [7:08 CT start]

All games at Xcel Energy Center in Minneapolis and televised on FOX Sports Net North

For further info on the WCHA Playoffs, please check out the WCHA Website.

MN_Gopher 03-07-2004 03:34 PM

For the first time in a long time. The gophs are healthy. So once again the gophs will win the tourney.

guinness 03-07-2004 04:20 PM

Ho hum, Tech will get swept, that's just about a given after their showing against ND this weekend. :mad:

Jason MacIsaac 03-11-2004 07:02 PM

I see it comming down to ND and Minnesota....again. I don't think the Gophers have the allround depth ND has. It will be great hockey to watch.

SpinTheBlackCircle 03-12-2004 07:11 AM

Denver is on fire....I think they will pull off the upset and win the whole thing

SpinTheBlackCircle 03-13-2004 08:55 AM

Or not

Evilo 03-13-2004 12:26 PM

Go ND, St Cloud State and Minnesota!
Go Schneider, Jensen and Sertich!

Oilers Chick 03-14-2004 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilo
Go ND, St Cloud State and Minnesota!
Go Schneider, Jensen and Sertich!

Ummm...Evilo, hate to tell you this dear, but MN/SCSU played each other this weekend. The Huskies are out because they got swept by the Gophers. Furthermore, they are likely not headed to the FF Tourney (due to their PWR points being too low). I saw the most of the Friday game. Jensen looked very good. Sertich didn't do anything of note though.

Evilo 03-14-2004 07:31 AM

Yeah I know.
North Dakota and Minnesota have a good chance at reaching the FF, right?

BTW, could you explain me how it works?
For instance, Is Bean Eaves's college career over after BC's loss to BU?
How come a team can lose in the playoffs and still make it to the FF (Brown?)?

coolio123 03-14-2004 01:20 PM

Quote:

Yeah I know.
North Dakota and Minnesota have a good chance at reaching the FF, right?

BTW, could you explain me how it works?
For instance, Is Bean Eaves's college career over after BC's loss to BU?
How come a team can lose in the playoffs and still make it to the FF (Brown?)?

Teams with the highest Pairwise Rankings get automatic bids.Pairwise Ranking Info

Jori 03-14-2004 01:43 PM

Pretty uninspiring series by DU. I think the boys realized they would make the NCAA tournament no matter what and it seemed to show on the ice. CC needed this series and needs to do well in the Final Five to make the big tourney. This is however a disappointing series from DU's stand point. Even though they didn't need to win the effort this weekend would have been nice.

I'll try to take a positive spin on things. With the time off, the Pioneers have time to heal. They obviously wont get Connor James back but some guys need the rest (i.e. Ryan Caldwell). Hopefully I'll be heading to World Arena in a couple of weeks :yo:

Evilo 03-14-2004 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolio123
Teams with the highest Pairwise Rankings get automatic bids.Pairwise Ranking Info

Thanks.
But the winners of each division goes to the FF, right?

Goldy 03-14-2004 05:47 PM

Games this weekend and next are conference playoffs. The winner of each conference playoff gets an automatic berth to the NCAA tournament. Ten additional teams will earn berths based on their pairwise ranking. There will be four NCAA regionals, the winner of each regional moves on to the Frozen Four in Boston (April 8-10).

Oilers Chick 03-14-2004 11:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
But the winners of each division goes to the FF, right?

The teams who win their conference (Playoffs) titles get the 6 automatic bids. The remaining 10 spots are determined through a process called the Pairwise Rankings [PWR] (see link that Coolio posted).

If you're familiar with how the NCAA Football BCS system works (no matter how much it sucks), the PWR works similarly in some ways. In a nutshell, it's a formula that ranks teams based on (among others) things such as: strength of schedule, records in conference play and records versus ranked teams (conference or otherwise). The PWR at this time of year is updated daily. The PWR is usually NOT available until about midway thru the season, when the preliminary rankings come out. BC will likely earn one of the ten remaining spots because of their PWR bewing relatively high. However, because they are no longer able to win the Hockey East crown, they will likely get a "less desirable" matchup when the regionals and who plays who are announced next Sunday. Brown could be in a slightly different position depending upon what transpires over in the ECAC. If their PWR is high enough, they should get in, but at last check they looked like one of the "bubble" teams.....that is, they are close to not getting a bid and depending on what happens in some of the other conferences such as Hockey East, the CCHA and especially the hotly contested WCHA. With the strength of the WCHA teams, many (myself included) are predicting that the FF tourney will be quite WCHA-heavy this year, and that COULD pose a threat to Brown getting in, based on the PWR.

I hope that answers your question.

Evilo 03-15-2004 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
The teams who win their conference (Playoffs) titles get the 6 automatic bids. The remaining 10 spots are determined through a process called the Pairwise Rankings [PWR] (see link that Coolio posted).

If you're familiar with how the NCAA Football BCS system works (no matter how much it sucks), the PWR works similarly in some ways. In a nutshell, it's a formula that ranks teams based on (among others) things such as: strength of schedule, records in conference play and records versus ranked teams (conference or otherwise). The PWR at this time of year is updated daily. The PWR is usually NOT available until about midway thru the season, when the preliminary rankings come out. BC will likely earn one of the ten remaining spots because of their PWR bewing relatively high. However, because they are no longer able to win the Hockey East crown, they will likely get a "less desirable" matchup when the regionals and who plays who are announced next Sunday. Brown could be in a slightly different position depending upon what transpires over in the ECAC. If their PWR is high enough, they should get in, but at last check they looked like one of the "bubble" teams.....that is, they are close to not getting a bid and depending on what happens in some of the other conferences such as Hockey East, the CCHA and especially the hotly contested WCHA. With the strength of the WCHA teams, many (myself included) are predicting that the FF tourney will be quite WCHA-heavy this year, and that COULD pose a threat to Brown getting in, based on the PWR.

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks a lot!
I got it.

firstroundbust 03-15-2004 06:03 PM

ha

UAA upset Wisconny

DW 03-15-2004 06:32 PM

That's just too bad...... :handclap:

Oilers Chick 03-15-2004 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeuceUNO
ha

UAA upset Wisconny

Yeah, but the Badgers will likely still get an at-large bid though. They're just not taking home to the MacNaughton Cup.

Jori 03-19-2004 12:05 AM

And UAA beats CC in the play-in-game tonight. That hurts CC's chances big time in getting an at-large bid. Can't say that I'm sad being a DU fan. I do believe this helps DU's chances in playing at World Arena with CC out. I was hearing had CC received an at-large bid DU would go to the Mid-west regional and CC would stay home.

ceber 03-19-2004 12:59 AM

UAA looks like a good upset team. Great goaltending (at least, tonight it was) with a physical, hard-checking team. I'm not sure they'll go much further, but I hope it will be fun to watch.

GaborikRules10!!! 03-19-2004 11:20 PM

Gophers beat the Bulldogs 7-4. Danny Irmen(Wild Draft Pick) scored 2 goals :handclap:
The Gophers will face the Souix from North Dakota for the WCHA Title tomorrow night.
Go Gophers!!!

Oilers Chick 03-20-2004 04:15 AM

I caught the last half of the 3rd of the MN/UMD game (I was watching the OSU/Miami matchup :D ). It looked like the Gophers pulled out another come-from-behind win.

Set your VCRs folks, tomorrow's battle for the MacNaughton should be a doozy! :yo:

BTW, I caught the webcast of the UND/UAA game. While UND won, the Seawolves didn't go quietly. They seemed to have put up a heck of a fight before going down. Jordan Parise and Chris King were making some awesome saves in that one too.

Anyone else have more details on the UND/UAA game? Please share it with the group. Thanks.

Go4Hockeychick 03-20-2004 09:33 AM

the battle tonight is for the broadmoor.....UND won the McNaughton about 3 weeks ago...

GaborikRules10!!! 03-20-2004 08:55 PM

1-1 after one period. Danny Irmen (Wild Draft Pick) :yo: gave the Gophers the early lead, but Stafford scrored to tie it up.

GaborikRules10!!! 03-20-2004 11:03 PM

Gophers are the Champions :yo:

Minnesota beats North Dakota 5-4 to win the Final Five.
Grant Potulny scored the game winner with under 10 minutes left.
Kellen Briggs was named MVP of the Tourney.