HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: Citi Field vs. Yankee Stadium (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=594409)

NyRangers88 01-12-2009 07:19 PM

Citi Field vs. Yankee Stadium

I'm sure most people here are baseball fans! And with the new season right around the corner, we have two brand new ballparks arriving in New York:yo:

This is NOT meant to be like a Met vs. Yankee poll. (For the record, I am a big Mets fan:)) Throwing away all bias feelings, which stadium do you like better?

Again, base your desicion on the overall apperance of each ballpark. (Your first impressions) Dont base your vote on if your a Mets or Yanks supporter.

Images of each:

Citi Field:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ba...ti%20field.jpg

Yankee Stadium:

http://www.stadiumpage.com/future/07Yankee8.jpg

You can view more interior images and construction photos here:
www.stadiumpage.com

nyrfan519 01-12-2009 07:26 PM

Yankee Stadium. Both look pretty nice, but I love the classical aspects of Yankee Stadium. One comparison that isn't even close is each team's inaugural season sleeve logo. Check this out:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb,133840

045NYR 01-12-2009 07:28 PM

i recently went past the new yankee stadium and it looked very nice, but i went with citi-field. the pictures i saw of the place looked amazing.

John Torturella 01-12-2009 07:47 PM

http://slidingintohome.blogspot.com/...on-update.html

Yankee Stadium. No doubt. It is not costing 1.4 Billion for nothing.

irishlaxburger2 01-12-2009 07:57 PM

Yankee fan here but I like Citi Field better so far. Im probably still bitter that theres a new Yankee Stadium in the first place though.

alkurtz 01-12-2009 08:05 PM

Met fan here....but it's Yankee Stadium all the way.
Three negatives about Citi Field
1. It's to darn small. The Wilpons built a stadium for a city the size of Cleveland, not New York. The Mets attendance this last year was about 4 million. They will never have that many again. Many fans will not be able to get tickets. Disgraceful that a stadium built with public funds will lock out a good portion of the public. In a few years, people will be saying, "what were they thinking to construct such a tiny stadium?" It's as if the the Dolans decided to build a new MSG with a seating capacity of 15,000.

2.I know there wasn't a choice with this but by moving the stadium into the parking lot to the north of Shea, the field will be even more directly under the LaGuardia flight path.

3. Horrible name: everything the Mets do is compared to the Yankees and to sell the name of a stadium to a bank (even before the financial crisis) just spells cheap cheap, cheap.

Shea needed to be replaced, no doubt. But one mistake after another was made with Citi Field. Sure it looks great and will be a great place to attend a game (if you are lucky enough to get a ticket). But as a Mets fan I'm tired of being a second class citizen. The Yankees built the Taj Mahal, we built a second class copy of it.

nyrmetros 01-12-2009 08:13 PM

The new Yankee stadium is a DISGRACE! End of story.
The new She stadium is better, but way to small for NYC.

NyRangers88 01-12-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkurtz (Post 17306360)
Met fan here....but it's Yankee Stadium all the way.
Three negatives about Citi Field
1. It's to darn small. The Wilpons built a stadium for a city the size of Cleveland, not New York. The Mets attendance this last year was about 4 million. They will never have that many again. Many fans will not be able to get tickets. Disgraceful that a stadium built with public funds will lock out a good portion of the public. In a few years, people will be saying, "what were they thinking to construct such a tiny stadium?" It's as if the the Dolans decided to build a new MSG with a seating capacity of 15,000.

2.I know there wasn't a choice with this but by moving the stadium into the parking lot to the north of Shea, the field will be even more directly under the LaGuardia flight path.

3. Horrible name: everything the Mets do is compared to the Yankees and to sell the name of a stadium to a bank (even before the financial crisis) just spells cheap cheap, cheap.

Shea needed to be replaced, no doubt. But one mistake after another was made with Citi Field. Sure it looks great and will be a great place to attend a game (if you are lucky enough to get a ticket). But as a Mets fan I'm tired of being a second class citizen. The Yankees built the Taj Mahal, we built a second class copy of it.

Mets fan as well.

All fair points, although I dont think #2 is a problem. While I voted for Citi Field because I dont like the style and simplicity of NYS, CF has a major flaw: And that is the fact the staircases lie in front of the upper deck stands; meaning there will be serious sightlines issues for the first few rows. (Similar to MSG with people walking in front of you all the time) The original plans called for "portals" like normal stadiums do, such as NYS. Why they changed this I will never know:shakehead

alkurtz 01-12-2009 08:27 PM

As long as I'm venting on Citi Field, here's another complaint.
I've been around a bit....my baseball memories go back to 1954, saw my first game in 1955.
Before I became a Mets fan in 1962, I grew up as a NY Giants fan.

What do we have at Citi Field? A stadium designed to look like Ebbets Field.....the Jackie Robinson Rotunda (no complaints with that really, I thought the stadium should be named after him)....one Dodger thing after another because Wilpon grow up a Dodger fan and went to school with Sandy Koufax.

What about the Met's NY Giant heritiage? It's where the Mets orange color comes from. You know, the team of Willie Mays, Bobby Thompson, Mel Ott, Christy Mathewson, John McGraw...the team that owned NY from circa 1880 until the 1920s. Whats in Citi Field for those fans whose heritage (from our Dads and Granddads) comes not from the Dodgers but from the Giants? I've heard rumors about a showcase somewhere in the stadium...big deal. Even the right field overhang I think comes from Tiger Stadium in Detroit rather than the notorious overhang at the Polo Grounds.

Maybe I'm just still angry over the last two seasons and nitpicking but the Mets are the child of two distinct NY heritages, not one!

John Torturella 01-12-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrmetros (Post 17306494)
The new Yankee stadium is a DISGRACE! End of story.
The new She stadium is better, but way to small for NYC.

You say one thing with nothing to back and then give a statement that hurts your point. :help:

OrbitalDynamics 01-12-2009 09:03 PM

Read this

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/10/ny...0about.html?em

The Yankees got some balls asking for another hand out when the city is slashing services,talking about raising the transit fares,talking about laying off thousands of employees and canceling classes at the police academy.

Yeah, fewer cops on the street so the Yankee owners can make a few more bucks?

Makes perfect sense to me.

nyrmetros 01-12-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motime42 (Post 17306920)
You say one thing with nothing to back and then give a statement that hurts your point. :help:

How so? Those responsible for a new Yankee Stadium should be shot.
How is that not a factual statement?

Eric Sachs 01-12-2009 09:28 PM

Citi Field reminds me too much of Coors field. Maybe it's just me. Its still better then Shea but i think New Yankee Stadium edges it out.

NYRFAN218 01-12-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkurtz (Post 17306735)
As long as I'm venting on Citi Field, here's another complaint.
I've been around a bit....my baseball memories go back to 1954, saw my first game in 1955.
Before I became a Mets fan in 1962, I grew up as a NY Giants fan.

What do we have at Citi Field? A stadium designed to look like Ebbets Field.....the Jackie Robinson Rotunda (no complaints with that really, I thought the stadium should be named after him)....one Dodger thing after another because Wilpon grow up a Dodger fan and went to school with Sandy Koufax.

What about the Met's NY Giant heritiage? It's where the Mets orange color comes from. You know, the team of Willie Mays, Bobby Thompson, Mel Ott, Christy Mathewson, John McGraw...the team that owned NY from circa 1880 until the 1920s. Whats in Citi Field for those fans whose heritage (from our Dads and Granddads) comes not from the Dodgers but from the Giants? I've heard rumors about a showcase somewhere in the stadium...big deal. Even the right field overhang I think comes from Tiger Stadium in Detroit rather than the notorious overhang at the Polo Grounds.

Maybe I'm just still angry over the last two seasons and nitpicking but the Mets are the child of two distinct NY heritages, not one!

This bothers me too. If your going to include one of the teams you derived from, include the other. Citi Field feels like a shrine to Wilpons childhood rather then a ballpark for the Mets.

Ih8theislanders 01-12-2009 09:41 PM

Yankees bar none

NYRSchrute217 01-12-2009 09:46 PM

Citi Field. Not being biased, I just like the design better.

Glen Teflon Sather 01-12-2009 10:57 PM

i know a nick name for Citi Field and it rhymes with an S:sarcasm:

jBuds 01-13-2009 12:22 AM

What's the best Yankees blog? I know metsblog is for the Mets, do the Yankees have something comparable that's updated daily?

John Torturella 01-13-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jBuds (Post 17310968)
What's the best Yankees blog? I know metsblog is for the Mets, do the Yankees have something comparable that's updated daily?

Pete Abraham of The Journal News has an excellent blog. He updates it several times daily. He is a good guy too.

yankees.lhblogs.com

Better Call Saul 01-13-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jBuds (Post 17310968)

Check out River Ave. Blues: http://riveraveblues.com/.

Oh, and new Yankee Stadium > Citi Field.

Carlos Ranger 01-13-2009 04:34 AM

Not really a baseball fan but Citi Field looks really nice.

Darius Dangleaitis 01-13-2009 04:52 AM

Mets fan here. I hate the Yankees. Ok, glad we got that out of the way.

I like both stadiums (although of course I despise the new Yankee Stadium seeing as those loathsome ******** play there, much like I despise MSG). I don't see a point in choosing either because I don't think it's fair to compare the Mets and the Yankees. Apples and Oranges, really. The Yankees are the epitome of baseball with their history and legacy and the Mets are PROUDLY their rejects, in other words, those who had the balls not to jump on the bandwagon upon birth (my grandpa always said every Yankee fan born after 1930 is a bandwagoner:laugh::laugh:). The Mets are the stepbrother that doesn't get as much attention or Christmas presents, but is still very much loved, if you will.

I think the Yankees did well in keeping the elements that made the old Yankee Stadium special. It's got the 360 degree design, those same right field bleachers, etc. It makes no sense to stray very far in design from one of baseball's world wonders. The Yankees did a good job here.

Citi Field looks gorgeous...not to mention it was time to tear that ****hole Shea Stadium down. I personally don't have any glorious memories of the place, save for a few exciting playoff games (John Rocker battery night), seeing as I was born in '88.

They definitely should have made CF bigger. The Mets had great attendance in Shea (which held almost 60,000), and 45,000 is going to be a tight squeeze. I have a bad feeling they're going to create a Fenway-like atmosphere (obviously not THAT bad though) when it comes to scrambling for tickets at these two places; at least for the first couple of years anyway.

I, for one am very excited to see our new stadium, and to see our new closer save his first game there - hopefully on opening night with me in attendance so I can watch him praise God, Jesus, Buddha, and Moses all at the same time in person.

http://108mag.typepad.com/the_southp.../27/mr_met.jpg

DontStepanMe 01-13-2009 08:21 AM

I'm a Met fan and I love the way Citi Field looks from the outside. Inside I think it will be a cozy atmosphere, w/ some great sighlines. I think it looks better than Yankee stadium from the outsided (I always loved Ebbets field).

that being said I have 2 problems w/ it:

1. Should have made more seats. Enough said there.

2. The Jackie Robinson Rotunda - should never be named this. should not have a statue of him. he was a DODGER not a MET. Should have been named the Tom Seaver Rotunda, and had a statue of Tom Seaver. The Greatest MET of all time. Hell I would've been happier w/ the Mike Piazza Rotunda. Jackie Robinson has no place w/ the Mets. I know what he did for baseball but, still he had nothing to do w/ the franchise. Also, if we are going to celebrate him, why not also celebrate the man who had the courage to sign him as well in Branch Rickey. Should have a statue of both of them. If it wasn't for Branch Rickey, Jackie Robinson would not even be known today. It would have happened eventually but somebody had to take a step and actually sign a colored ballplayer. But that's another Rant. It should be Named After a Met not a Dodger.

Bluenote13 01-13-2009 08:56 AM

I like the look of the classic Yanks stadium so i went with that over Debits Field.

Like someone posted earlier, the politics of all of this really makes me not want to support either club at this point.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-13-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motime42 (Post 17306043)
http://slidingintohome.blogspot.com/...on-update.html

Yankee Stadium. No doubt. It is not costing 1.4 Billion for nothing.

Gee and I would have thought a Ranger fan would stop judging something based on what something costs.