HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Who would you rank ahead of Maxpac in the '09 draft? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=594531)

Michael Scott* 01-13-2009 01:06 AM

Who would you rank ahead of Maxpac in the '09 draft?

Title says it all,

personally for me, the only players I would rather have other than MaxPac would be Tavares, Hedman, Paajarvi, and Shroeder...

but other than that, i think MaxPac would be more valuable to the habs?

What are your thoughts?

JMMR 01-13-2009 01:16 AM

one year older makes a huge difference.
Imagine what two does for the value of a player.

Michael Scott* 01-13-2009 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMMR (Post 17310877)
one year older makes a huge difference.
Imagine what two does for the value of a player.

I understand that, but keeping that aside, im just wondering who you think has more value and potential, and who do you think will have the best careers...

Honestly, i think given MaxPac's talent, his size, potential, and the fact Carbo plays him and gives him the opportunity will be huge for the kids success...

Some prospects never even get a chance to play (ie. Bobby Ryan)...

There are a lot of factors to consider, but all things aside, of the players i would rather have I would rank MaxPac after those 4...

Montreal Shadow 01-13-2009 01:37 AM

Who would I rank ahead of him after 4games? Anyone who has played more games. What a stupid thread.

Michael Scott* 01-13-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow (Post 17311186)
Who would I rank ahead of him after 4games? Anyone who has played more games. What a stupid thread.

Did i ask you that?

Believe me the thread isn't stupid, its people who can't understand the question...

Maybe its due to ignorance, because you never watched MaxPac in the minors or college, or maybe its because you don't know any prospects...

If MaxPac was still in Hamilton, what would you say then? The fact he's playing in the NHL has nothing to do with this thread... im asking you based on his potential, who would you take ahead of him in the '09 draft?

:shakehead It's a little late for you kiddo, learn to read...

guest1467 01-13-2009 01:41 AM

It's an interesting discussion, although a bit strange. It is hard to give an accurate read on comparing players drafted a couple of years before players that are yet to be drafted. Obviously when you look at the ceilings of Tavares and Hedman, there is a definite probability that they can become somewhat of franchise players down the road. When you take those two out of the mix, it gets little more complicated. You have to give Pacioretty the benefit of the doubt because you can already see in the game he possesses currently, he has the potential to become a special player himself. Obviously with the small sample size of NHL games Pacioretty has played, there is still MUCH room for debate on how his career will progress, however, he has already shown he can play and keep up with an elite player like Kovalev, which IMO does say something. The ability to raise his game and play with talented players isn't something brand new, he showed it as well in his rookie season at Michigan playing alongside Porter and Kolarik.

With that being said, you have to examine some more names on the list for potential impact players. Players like Duchene, Kane, Paarjavi, Schroeder, Schenn and Cowen are definitely nothing to sneeze at. Unfortunately, I have not seen enough of these players with maybe the exception of Kane to make a serious educated opinion on what these players potential may be. Although, largely based on what I have seen at the WJC I would say that Schroeder, Kane, Paarjavi, and Rundbland, with the inclusion of Duchene, round out an elite 7 that is step above the rest. If I was to make a list right now it would look like this:

Tavares
Hedman
Kane
Pacioretty

pedrospecialk 01-13-2009 02:11 AM

As a B's fan (and Michigan fan) I don't think Pacioretty goes anywhere lower than 6th in this year's surprisingly strong draft. Yes, he's that good.

Montreal Shadow 01-13-2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leave Sidney Alone (Post 17311239)
Did i ask you that?

Believe me the thread isn't stupid, its people who can't understand the question...

Maybe its due to ignorance, because you never watched MaxPac in the minors or college, or maybe its because you don't know any prospects...

If MaxPac was still in Hamilton, what would you say then? The fact he's playing in the NHL has nothing to do with this thread... im asking you based on his potential, who would you take ahead of him in the '09 draft?

:shakehead It's a little late for you kiddo, learn to read...

Based on the fact that most scouters know hockey better than me(and you) I can't really judge the other young players yet. Looking at it this way, you are given two choices:

A: Take Tavares over David Krejci now

B: Wait 3 years and see what Tavares will look like

So far, we haven't really see what Tavares is capable of, I only care about what Pacioretty does in the big league for now, we know how well he performed in the minor, that's easy to see, the NHL isn't the same thing as the AHL though. It's not rare to see some players killing the juniors and choking in the NHL and vice versa. Players from the '09 draft are very young and still need a lot of developpement, for the NHL, I don't know who I would take over him as 4 games is a too small sample. He showed great things, but then again, with that logic I would have taken Marcel Hossa over Brad Boyes. I'm not saying you're stupid, your thread is. For the NHL who would I take over him? We need to see more of these rookies in the big league, for the minors who would I take? much easier question.

That avatar doesn't help you either. Just sayin.

Michael Scott* 01-13-2009 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow (Post 17311631)
Based on the fact that most scouters know hockey better than me(and you) I can't really judge the other young players yet. Looking at it this way, you are given two choices:

A: Take Tavares over David Krejci now

B: Wait 3 years and see what Tavares will look like

So far, we haven't really see what Tavares is capable of, I only care about what Pacioretty does in the big league for now, we know how well he performed in the minor, that's easy to see, the NHL isn't the same thing as the AHL though. It's not rare to see some players killing the juniors and choking in the NHL and vice versa. Players from the '09 draft are very young and still need a lot of developpement, for the NHL, I don't know who I would take over him as 4 games is a too small sample. He showed great things, but then again, with that logic I would have taken Marcel Hossa over Brad Boyes. I'm not saying you're stupid, your thread is. For the NHL who would I take over him? We need to see more of these rookies in the big league, for the minors who would I take? much easier question.

That avatar doesn't help you either. Just sayin.

lol, judge a user by his avatar, i think that speaks more about you than it does me... and i think its clear you dont get the joke about the avatar/username. Lighten up scrooge.

I think its clear you can't understand the question... it's the same way HF can make a list of prospects and rank them... apparently this is just assinine in your book... well good luck with that, i don't even think i'm going to argue with you, i mean we are on a prospect site for crying out loud... lol.

Quagmier 01-13-2009 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leave Sidney Alone (Post 17310975)
I understand that, but keeping that aside, im just wondering who you think has more value and potential, and who do you think will have the best careers...

Honestly, i think given MaxPac's talent, his size, potential, and the fact Carbo plays him and gives him the opportunity will be huge for the kids success...

Some prospects never even get a chance to play (ie. Bobby Ryan)...

There are a lot of factors to consider, but all things aside, of the players i would rather have I would rank MaxPac after those 4...

Not so sure. MaxPac has developed VERY well since being taken 22nd 2 years ago, but I really think you need to see the kid in more than 4 games before we can start calling him a top 5 pick in a loaded draft.

Keep in mind how it usually goes with offensive Habs prospects: they come up to the show, they're usually pretty amped up and they often go on a tear out of the gate (Hossa, D'Agostini, Pacioretty, S. Kostitsyn) In some cases they keep up a respectable pace, and in others they cool down as the adrenaline of making it to the show wears off. I like Kostitsyn, Dags and Pacioretty alot, but I don't think any of them will be as dominant as they appeared to be in their first slew of games. Keep in mind that Patches has struggled somewhat at the AHL level.

If, at the end of the season, Max sticks with the big club and puts up respectable numbers, then I think its fair to say that he's established himself as a top flight prospect. If the Habs are really in the market for a big trade as the rumors have it, I wouldn't be surprised if Max does just that