HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Official Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=594568)

Pr3Va1L 01-13-2009 02:19 AM

Why would we want Vinny's contract?

Seriously?

Yeah, he's one of the top players today but his contract is horrible.

Like Tempa Bay realised they ****ed up so they want to deal that bad contract away before it starts... :handclap:

Thoughts?

Tusk 01-13-2009 02:34 AM

Because it comes with Vinny.

Bumjoo Wang* 01-13-2009 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L (Post 17311915)
Thoughts?

I think you should have posted in the All Vinny Lecavalier Rumours thread.

HabsHockey 01-13-2009 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L (Post 17311915)
Seriously?

Yeah, he's one of the top players today but his contract is horrible.

Like Tempa Bay realised they ****ed up so they want to deal that bad contract away before it starts... :handclap:

Thoughts?

Not gonna happen?

la25ecoupe 01-13-2009 06:00 AM

Gainey said Higgins could come back from injury and score alot of goals for us. And that PK could join our team someday. And Plek is getting hot again, and we might need scoring from him.

He said it's dangerous when a team can score from alot of different places (players).

HabsHockey 01-13-2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanylapep (Post 17312342)
Gainey said Higgins could come back from injury and score alot of goals for us. And that PK could join our team someday. And Plek is getting hot again, and we might need scoring from him.

He said it's dangerous when a team can score from a lot of different places (players).

Hmmm, Gainey what are you trying to tell us?

drivefor25 01-13-2009 06:13 AM

Salary Cap not a problem

Hypothetically speaking - let's say the habs do get Vinnie ($7.7M) and resign Komi for $ 5.5 M - this would equate to $ 13.2 M for these two players.Remember that Tanguay ($5.2m), Lang ($ 4M), Dandelion ($ 1.8 M), Bouillon ($ 1.9 M) are all gone next year = Total of $12.9 M. This translates to Gainey trading Bouillon, Tanguay, Lang and Dandy for Vinnie and Komi - not a bad trade don"t you think?

MaKi 01-13-2009 06:15 AM

I never really took any of this Vinny to Montreal **** seriously but this morning my girlfriend said she heard an audio clip of Bob Gainey talking about the possibility on CHOM.
Apparently he said something about Gorges and some other players, and he would be weighing the costs.

Is there actually something going on here for once? I mean usually there's no basis to Vinny trade talks, but is Gainey actually talking about it this time?

HabsHockey 01-13-2009 06:18 AM

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=594568

The thread right above you

nyhabsfan 01-13-2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivefor25 (Post 17312370)
Hypothetically speaking - let's say the habs do get Vinnie ($7.7M) and resign Komi for $ 5.5 M - this would equate to $ 13.2 M for these two players.Remember that Tanguay ($5.2m), Lang ($ 4M), Dandelion ($ 1.8 M), Bouillon ($ 1.9 M) are all gone next year = Total of $12.9 M. This translates to Gainey trading Bouillon, Tanguay, Lang and Dandy for Vinnie and Komi - not a bad trade don"t you think?

Yes, but you've already lost 2-3 core players off the squad just ot get Vinny.

so hypothetically, is not resigning Tanquay, Lang plus potentially losing Pleky, Higgins, Subban, Georges worth Vinny and locking up 10 million for the next 10 years on one player worth it?

Not in my book...

HabsHockey 01-13-2009 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacKmtl (Post 17312375)
I never really took any of this Vinny to Montreal **** seriously but this morning my girlfriend said she heard an audio clip of Bob Gainey talking about the possibility on CHOM.
Apparently he said something about Gorges and some other players, and he would be weighing the costs.

Is there actually something going on here for once? I mean usually there's no basis to Vinny trade talks, but is Gainey actually talking about it this time?

No he's being Gainey. Not really saying anything specifically.

nyhabsfan 01-13-2009 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacKmtl (Post 17312375)

I can't believe that Higgins, Pleky, Georges, Subban + at least one 1st round draft pick is worth Vinny and that horrible contract!

It could ruin team chemistry and would seriously hit our depth which took 10+ years to build!

Don't do it Bob, stay the course and trust the system.

If anything, go get a 4th dman!

HabsHockey 01-13-2009 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyhabsfan (Post 17312390)
I can't believe that Higgins, Pleky, Georges, Subban + at least one 1st round draft pick is worth Vinny and that horrible contract!

It could ruin team chemistry and would seriously hit our depth which took 10+ years to build!

Don't do it Bob, stay the course and trust the system.

If anything, go get a 4th dman!

Gainey never said this to begin with.

MaKi 01-13-2009 06:34 AM

Thanks for the info guys.
I trust Gainey will make the right decision either way, he knows alot more than me about the teams situation and what would benefit them more.
I'm guessing if he thinks our young players like D'ago and MaxPac can stay up in the big leagues without hurting their development he might do the trade.
Or maybe he knows he will be able to get something better at the trade deadline, or in the offseason.
All I know is the decision is his, so I'm not going to stress over it.

Thinkaboutthat 01-13-2009 06:35 AM

La Presse has talked to Lecavalier after yesterday's game. He says he's very interested to play for the Habs. Lightning GM Brian Lawton added that no player on his team is untouchable.
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...r-montreal.php

Mathias Brunet ont the trade talks:
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...en-discute.php

I don't see anything on the Journal website (canoe.qc.ca) yet.

JMMR 01-13-2009 06:36 AM

Also you still would need to replace one winger and two defenseman.

waffledave 01-13-2009 06:42 AM

Some comments from Vinny suggest he wants nothing to do with us, others suggest he wants to play here...

Very confusing!

If he indeed doesn't want to play in a pressure cooker, eff him. He's not a true competitor if that's the case. If he'd rather play with Steve Downie as his star winger then let him.

HabsHockey 01-13-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinkaboutthat (Post 17312422)
La Presse has talked to Lecavalier after yesterday's game. He says he's very interested to play for the Habs. Lightning GM Brian Lawton added that no player on his team is untouchable.
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...r-montreal.php

Mathias Brunet ont the trade talks:
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...en-discute.php

I don't see anything on the Journal website (canoe.qc.ca) yet.

Your misquoting Lecavalier

strutsboa 01-13-2009 06:43 AM

Links about The Vincent Lecavalier Saga!

The Vincent Lecavalier-thread is quite massive and it's really heavy to go through. Could we have this thread to just post links about the saga without posting any own opinions?

It might be an easy way to stay updated without spending hours of searching for the links. If it's a bad idea - delete it!

HellasLEAF 01-13-2009 06:46 AM

That package is a lot but, worth it.

Lecav replaces Plekanec
Pacioretty replaces Higgins
Goerges has been good for you guys, but no irreplaceable within your system or through a deadline deal.
Subban, he is not a roster player. Good but expendable. Again, not a deal breaker. His value is really high right now. May not be a bad idea to capitalize.
1st rounder + may have to bite the bullet here.

It's worth it. Lecavalier will be your first line centre for years and you do not re-sign Koivu to help ease the contract burden.

deandebean 01-13-2009 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dead (Post 17312444)
Your misquoting Lecavalier

S'il avait à faire une courte liste des villes où il aimerait jouer, Montréal serait-elle en bonne position? «C'est sûr» a-t-il répondu.

WeThreeKings 01-13-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellasLEAF (Post 17312458)
That package is a lot but, worth it.

Lecav replaces Plekanec
Pacioretty replaces Higgins
Goerges has been good for you guys, but no irreplaceable within your system or through a deadline deal.
Subban, he is not a roster player. Good but expendable. Again, not a deal breaker. His value is really high right now. May not be a bad idea to capitalize.
1st rounder + may have to bite the bullet here.

It's worth it. Lecavalier will be your first line centre for years and you do not re-sign Koivu to help ease the contract burden.

I know Gorges isn't a "deal-breaker" but for me, he is. There has to be a D-man coming back. I'm not going into the play-offs with Markov-Komisarek, Hamrlik-Brisebois, Bouillon-O'Byrne.

We'd get slaughtered.

Thinkaboutthat 01-13-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandebean (Post 17312472)
S'il avait à faire une courte liste des villes où il aimerait jouer, Montréal serait-elle en bonne position? «C'est sûr» a-t-il répondu.

You beat me!

waffledave 01-13-2009 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandebean (Post 17312472)

Doesn't = "I'm VERY interested to play for the Habs!"

All he did there was not say "F U" to the journalist, basically.

sandman08 01-13-2009 06:54 AM

as mentioned its not simply as easy as "lang, dandenault, bouilion and tanguay make x number of dollars" when it comes to acquiring lecavalier as opposed to who replaces those guys spots in the lineup and how much do they make PLUS whoever we have to replace from the lineup of guys who are dealt for lecavalier, ie. if the supposedly proposed trade of plek, higgins, gorges/o'byrne + prospects (subban?) then who takes the spots of those guys (unless someones coming back with lecavalier like paul ranger as mentioned somewhere).. in that case ranger would replace gorges (if he is included even) fine.. lecavalier takes lang's spot yes (relatively speaking), then the wingers lost would be tanguay and higgins being replaced by pacioretty and d'agostini (im assuming at least) but we're still "losing" 2 defencemen that have to be replaced by someone (who ideally would have to make the league minimum or be on their entry level deals)
all in all, i'd say gorges would have to stay given all that of that (so ranger would replace one of dandy or bouillion) which would make the whole thing more palatable.
finally, those figures that you mention all work based on the current cap and not on one that is projected to decrease