HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Brooks: Rangers, Zherdev negotiating extension; No interest in Russia (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=594574)

Carlos Ranger 01-13-2009 06:23 AM

Rangers, Zherdev negotiating extension; No interest in Russia

Quote:

The Rangers and the agent for Nikolai Zherdev are in the preliminary stages of negotiations aimed at extending the talented 24-year-old winger's contract and thus preventing him from reaching the Group II free-agent market, The Post has learned.

"This is where I want to be," Zherdev told The Post yesterday. "I don't want to play in Russia next year. I want to stay here and play in the NHL, in New York, with the Rangers.

"I'm very happy here. I like the team. I like the guys. I like living here. Everything is good."

Rolland Hedges, who represents Zherdev, told The Post that Rangers management has reached out to him. "Nikky really likes New York," Hedges said. "It would be our preference to get something done so that he can be a Ranger for a long time."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01132009...act_149935.htm

Ih8theislanders 01-13-2009 06:28 AM

Thank God!

azrok22 01-13-2009 07:16 AM

Somewhat surprised he would so candidly say that... even if it was his intention to 100% stay in the NHL, he could have used Russia as a means to up his asking price.

Nonetheless, excellent news for the Rangers.

Kev22 01-13-2009 10:12 AM

Wonder what that comment would have been if he was still with the Blue Jackets...HMMM!:sarcasm:

Mr Bojanglez 01-13-2009 10:14 AM

interesting times. See what kind of contract he gets. Rangers might be busy at the deadline... they might have to be if they hope to keep Zherdov.

NYR Sting 01-13-2009 10:28 AM

As I said on the Rangers board, if Boyes, a 40-goal scorer, is making 4 million, I don't think Zherdev should be making more. But maybe I'm wrong.

Modo 01-13-2009 10:31 AM

Great to hear that from Zherdev, always been a fan of his.

cassius 01-13-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting36e (Post 17314587)
As I said on the Rangers board, if Boyes, a 40-goal scorer, is making 4 million, I don't think Zherdev should be making more. But maybe I'm wrong.

The contracts the Rangers give out tend to err on the side of overpaid

lundy 01-13-2009 10:44 AM

Lock him up Sather...hopefully less than 7 mill this time.

Celestial Black 01-13-2009 10:55 AM

Glad things have started.

NYR Sting 01-13-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassius (Post 17314787)

I was going to argue (kind of), but you like John Mayall. You're all right.

hashmarks 01-13-2009 11:25 AM

Zherdev will likely be looking in the 5 million range. It is all rosey now, but Zherdev isn't afraid to let things get ugly either.

Sather is going to have to be very creative when this all comes down. They have a boatload of RFA's to deal with.

Peter Griffin 01-13-2009 11:44 AM

Good to hear, apparently he was a bit of a loner in Columbus so it's good to see he appears to have come out of his shell.

druncan 01-13-2009 11:53 AM

great news for the rangers. here's hoping they can lock him up for a long time so he can focus on polishing his star status. i'm glad to hear that he's happy with his situation cos that kid's got some amazing talent.

Plato 01-13-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

With Free Agents yes, but not to resign RFA's.

CBJSprague24 01-13-2009 01:44 PM

Good to see Nik's enjoying himself in New York & hopefully, they find a way to get him re-signed. I saw a highlight reel on VS last night with a true-to-form dazzling play & pass to get a goal for the Rangers.

...and if they don't, I know a fan base that wouldn't mind having him back. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin (Post 17316063)
Good to hear, apparently he was a bit of a loner in Columbus so it's good to see he appears to have come out of his shell.

For a while, the word was the only friend he had on the team (maybe by his own design) was Alexander Svitov. Last season, there were reports of Nik trying to be more a part of the team & make friends with other players, who warmed up to him & which changed the opinions of many of the players (one of whom previously called him out anonymously in an interview as a bad teammate) & made him belong.

A shining example of the "team player" Zherdev that showed up last season was against Carolina in December. With the Carolina net empty, Foote intercepted a pass & sent it ahead to Z, who had the chance at his first career hat trick. One-on-one skating in with the Carolina defender, instead of taking the shot for himself (which probably would've been blocked), he passed it off to a fast-approaching Kris Beech, who potted the EN goal & sealed the game.

FutureGM97 01-13-2009 01:51 PM

Considering the way things are going over in the KHL...I'm not surprised that Nikky has decided he wants to stay in NYC.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-13-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Not for RFAs. It would depend how many years of UFAgency they want to buy.

hlundqvist30* 01-13-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Actually, if you look at our RFA history Sather has done an amazing job. UFA's on the other hand...

This is great news. The "red scare" was expected, because of course people will infer that since Zherdev is Russian and a few Russians have fled that it meant he would. His stint in Columbus didn't help either. People need to start acknowledging that he is a completely different person, both on and off the ice, compared to his first few NHL years. Every time I see anyone associate the words "lazy," "selfish," or "streaky" with him I wish they could just be banned from HF.

Thefalkon 01-13-2009 01:58 PM

Great news. Hopefully Sather won't overpay him though.

grabo84 01-13-2009 02:07 PM

Even if they overpay him, there'll always be Redden and Drury to take the heat off him.

SumOil 01-13-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting36e (Post 17314587)

if redden >6 million also drury, gomez>7 million
so what are we looking at? max payment?

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-13-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhockeyfan (Post 17318904)
if redden >6 million also drury, gomez>7 million
so what are we looking at? max payment?

Can't compare those two. Those were contracts given to UFAs.

trooper 01-13-2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Heh, true, but the Rags underpaid to get him in the first place. I like Toots, but still don't like the trade (oh, and Backman SUCKS... bite me very much for him). That said, I still am a big Nik fan, and wish him much luck (and he's always welcome back in C-bus).

Nekz 01-13-2009 05:22 PM

C'monnn be under 8 million!