HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Daze to the Avs????? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=59470)

fullmetalninja 03-07-2004 10:45 AM

Daze to the Avs?????

As I said in another thread, I would be really surprised if Daze was dealt. I still think this is more smoke than fire....

but in today's Daily Herald(the best paper for hawks coverage in the chicagoland) Tim Sassone says that Colorado has interest in two forwards: Jeff O'Neill And Eric Daze. The reason, according to Tim is that they are "disappointed" with the play of Teemu Selanne.

Daze is an RFA who makes 3.2 mil per year. If healthy, that is a steal. His agent is Bob Suave.

Rumored to be coming back- or the asking price, is Derek Morris. Morris is one of Sutter's "boys".

If I see a deal that sends Arnason and Daze to Colorado, for Derek Morris..... damn as a Sutter hater it won't take much to see the writing on the wall.

Take it for what its worth, but maybe Daze is more available than I thought he was(jesus).

-fullmetalninja

Vagrant 03-07-2004 11:06 AM

It would be interesting to see who Jeff O'Neill could fetch from Colorado. JR and PL have a nice little relationship working apparently, so it's not out of the question that there might be some smoke there as well. Derek Morris would be about the type of player that Carolina would be looking for in an O'Neill deal and that would make sense from a Carolina perspective, but probably not from a Colorado one. We could send back Sean Hill with O'Neill in exchange for a 3rd Round Pick in order to make sure there is a decent NHL player to man the blueline for Colorado.

However, I really doubt this happens. Carolina would see this as the ideal deal, but Colorado has a glut of forwards and one disappointing Teemu Selanne probably wouldn't be enough for them to ante up Derek Morris, a stud on the blueline, for a supplimental forward that would probably play on the 2nd or 3rd line. Daze and O'Neill both. Forsberg should be back, Blake, Kariya. They just have too much talent to make a deal like this simply because one of their star forwards isn't putting up the numbers that were expected of him.

wazee 03-07-2004 11:17 AM

Hmmm...Arnason and Daze for Morris is very intresting...and risky for both sides. The risk for the Avs is that Daze, who did not play physical before, will be even less willing to take risks after his back surgery...or, worse, that his back problems will continue to be a problem. Was the surgery supposed to provide a long-term solution to the problem?

For the Hawks, the risk is in giving up Tyler Arnason. I thought he was one of the brighter spots for the Hawks the last two seasons. Why would they trade him?

EDIT: I wrote this before reading the threads about the Arnason/Sutter confrontation...so that explains 'why would they trade him?'...

As an Avs fan, I can see both sides of this one. Both Daze and Arnason are talented players but neither plays with a grit...and the Avs could use some grit on the top two lines. This is a tough offer to pass up and if Daze if healthy (big IF) it is slanted to the Avs side....OTOH, it results in a net loss of grit, and that could be a problem in the playoffs....

avfan#21 03-07-2004 11:19 AM

The most interesting point in this rumour is the fact that Daze's agent is Sauve. Lacroix isn't afraid of dealing for guys who have agents he likes and trading guys who's agents he doesn't like. As you know Bob's son Phil is here and they are old partners I believe as well. Lacroix knows who he is dealing with in Bob when it comes to resigning Eric so there could be something to it. I think it's obvious they want size and possibly some grit, I dunno that Daze brings the grit part but the size is there. Guys rumoured for the avs outside of the goaltending dept so far have been O'neill, Gratton, Barnaby and now Daze. You can kind of see a trend here.

Tough to give up Morris, but man I'd seriously have to get some good opinions on Arnason and Daze for him. It's very intriguing.

avfan#21 03-07-2004 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazee
Hmmm...Arnason and Daze for Morris is very intresting...and risky for both sides. The risk for the Avs is that Daze, who did not play physical before, will be even less willing to take risks after his back surgery...or, worse, that his back problems will continue to be a problem. Was the surgery supposed to provide a long-term solution to the problem?

For the Hawks, the risk is in giving up Tyler Arnason. I thought he was one of the brighter spots for the Hawks the last two seasons. Why would they trade him?

As an Avs fan, I can see both sides of this one. Both Daze and Arnason are talented players but neither plays with a grit...and the Avs could use some grit on the top two lines. This is a tough offer to pass up and if Daze if healthy (big IF) it is slanted to the Avs side....OTOH, it results in a net loss of grit, and that could be a problem in the playoffs....

On the otherhand, we've seen what Granato did for Tanguay, what if he can do that for Arnason, and with Tocchet on the bench for now, could he show Eric the way. It's a gamble to be sure, but man is it ever a tempting deal.

caliamad 03-07-2004 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazee

EDIT: I wrote this before reading the threads about the Arnason/Sutter confrontation...so that explains 'why would they trade him?'...

From Daze's first game against the ducks, i'd say there is 0 worry about him playing physical....

Foppa 03-07-2004 11:44 AM

I'd much rather get O'Neill than Daze. Daze is a better pure goal scorer imo, but his injury problems and his lack of physical play are not what the Avs need on an already highly-injury prone, finese style offensive attack.

I've mentioned on the Avs board that I think Morris would be an absolutely awesome fit as the keystone to a revamped Hurricanes defense. He's proven he can log #1 minutes in Calgary, he's young, and he possesses the two-way skills for Carolina to rebuild around. Likewise, I can see where the Avs would have interest in O'Neill. Granted, we have tons of scorers as it is...but when you think about it...Forsberg may be gone after the season, Selanne is unlikely to be back...Sakic is getting older...Kariya is a question mark. Meanwhile, the strength of the Avs farm is on defense. Liles has been spectacular lately and arguably 4 of our 5 or 6 top prospects are defensemen. And Avs fans have constantly wanted to see a true PF back in town ever since Deader was dealt.

The O'Neill/Hill idea has been tossed around on the Avs board, Caniac. I'm leery of Hill only because it seems he's only really thrived in Carolina. If I were to send Morris to Carolina for O'Neill...I'd probably want another younger asset in return to make up the couple years of age difference, be it a good draft pick or solid prospect.

I would not be very thrilled if the Avs used Morris to get Daze...even if the Hawks chipped in another valuable asset like Arnason. That may be a good package for value but it just doesn't address the Avs needs imo.

wazee 03-07-2004 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliamad
From Daze's first game against the ducks, i'd say there is 0 worry about him playing physical....

I did not see the Hawks/Ducks game...but, in the past, that is what the Hawks opposition usually says about Daze....

fullmetalninja 03-07-2004 12:03 PM

That's because people in chicago think every forward should play like Al Secord. Not all of them do it, even if they are 6'5"......

Daze isn't afraid of contact, and he definately goes to the net. He just doesn't hit too often. His biggest asset is his shot- which may be the most underrated shot in the league(its a cannon, and its accurate). And because he is so big, He is difficult to get off the puck- and finds way to get the shot off. So does he hang out in the slot more than he does the crease.... yea. But why wouldn't you want him there?

I want Chicago to keep Daze. I just don't see us bringing in anyone better for the money, via UFA. Not saying there aren't better players.... just I think we could keep Daze, *and* bring in another UFA and have 2 guys capable of burying the puck.

But if we could bring in Morris.... even though from what I've gathered he's struggled somewhat.. it certainly would be tempting. Knowing Lacroix, It won't be just one for one though. I'm scared of who he will "reinprecht" out of chicago.

I think Both Igor Radulov and Tyler Arnason would be made available in the right deal- and maybe Mikhail Yakubov(although he has played pretty well in his brief callups).

-fullmetalninja

Teemu 03-07-2004 01:34 PM

I would trade Daze if given a good deal. What I am very worried about his his contract - 3.2 and a RFA. With all of his injury problems, would Pulford qualify him? 3.5 mil is on the brink of too much for Pulford, even if Daze is a 30-something goal scorer.

Ensane 03-07-2004 01:49 PM

I'm sorry, I wouldn't trade a package of Morris and a variable for Daze or O'Neill and a variable. I don't think that O'Neill or Daze bring something special enough to this current team to warrant screwing with our defenseman. Of course, if you checked out my recent post on the Avs D, you'd see that I'm not in favor of changing anything about our D right now. Yeah...that's just me. :rolly:

Vlad The Impaler 03-07-2004 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullmetalninja
Daze is an RFA who makes 3.2 mil per year. If healthy, that is a steal. His agent is Bob Suave.

Argh :madfire:

THIS is suave

And this is Bob Sauve

Get it right, people. This ranks high up there with the hopeless "ludacris".

X8oD 03-07-2004 01:59 PM

The ONLY way this trade rumor is true is if Forsberg is out for the season, or at least they arent ready enough to say "he will be healthy and ready to go"

They have 3rd and 4th line centers. What they dont have is a 2nd line center if Forsberg is out longer than expected

Stuy 03-07-2004 04:19 PM

I would like to see Daze traded. Two back surgeries in 2 years. Let's get something for him.

Mojave 3 03-07-2004 07:17 PM

What I see is if Morris is coming to Chicago for Daze then Berard is included as well which should also mean the Hawks get another player (prospect...not draft pick) back to balance the deal.

p.l.f. 03-07-2004 07:19 PM

avs want lazy dasie eh?

Cabin Mirror 03-07-2004 07:37 PM

I can't see a Daze/Morris deal happening. Lacroix really values quality d-men. I can't recall the last time they've traded one.

me2 03-07-2004 07:57 PM

Morris for O'Neil straight is good deal for both sides. O'Neil would bring something to the Avs top 6 that its missing. No offense to Sakic, Tanguay, Hejduk, Kariya and Selanne but they aren't exactly power fowards. There is a much of the sameness about them, especially without Forsberg in the lineup. regular 30+ goal scorer for good top 4 Dman capable of being top 2. A forward like O'Neil is very handy in the post-season, and he can play centre if needed.

Then flip something to Washington for Witt and the Avs D will be meaner, which is good for the playoffs. Blake, Liles and Foote are decent enough on the PP they can get away without Morris.

Chelios 03-07-2004 08:07 PM

As a Blackhawk fan, yes you heard right, I would love to see this type of deal. Though I do like Daze, I would have no problem moving him if it meant a young stud defenseman like Morris coming to Chicago. The problem with the deal I think is Arnason. With the way he and Ruutu have been playing together recently I highly doubt he will be moved.

If it is true that the Avs would be looking for Berard to be involved, how about this type of deal:

Eric Daze, Bryan Berard, Igor Radulov
FOR
Derek Morris, Cody McCormick

McCormick is definately a Sutter type player and would be good with the likes of other physical youngsters Bell, Calder, Ruutu, Moen etc.

Vatican Roulette 03-07-2004 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler

THIS is suave

And this is Bob Sauve

Get it right, people. This ranks high up there with the hopeless "ludacris".

and people calling Darren McCarty... Darren McCarthy.

IceBagadonuts 03-08-2004 12:29 AM

Avs w/o Forsberg

Quote:

Originally Posted by X8oD
The ONLY way this trade rumor is true is if Forsberg is out for the season, or at least they arent ready enough to say "he will be healthy and ready to go"

They have 3rd and 4th line centers. What they dont have is a 2nd line center if Forsberg is out longer than expected

Bingo.

And that's a big reason why Colorado is 5-8-3 (37 GF, 44 GA) since Feb. 1.

They're "hooked" on Forsberg and desperately need a "fix" at Center... along with a back-up Goalie.

Fans hope. Realists see.

Count of DannyKristo 03-08-2004 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler

THIS is suave

And this is Bob Sauve

Yes, that's true.

But Philippe Sauve also = sieve ;)

Stuy 03-08-2004 12:45 PM

With O'Neil out of the picture I would guess the offers for Daze increase.

We might get a much better return now.