HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pac-man : Is he what you expected? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=594873)

Habs13 01-13-2009 08:58 PM

Pac-man : Is he what you expected?

He seems to have solid positioning and some good skills - but where is the physical edge I heard he played with? He seems to shy away from contact and dosen't hit when he has the chance to - from what I've seen/remember anyway. Was he more physical with the Bulldogs??

WeThreeKings 01-13-2009 08:58 PM

He's a green rookie. Give him time.

Whitesnake 01-13-2009 09:05 PM

Young, learning and meeting Chara in the 1st period. It does that to a kid...

Fire Everyone 01-13-2009 09:18 PM

I remember him hitting in pretty much every game. He just doesn't go out of his way to do it.

P.S.: It's Patches, not Pac-man.

Monctonscout 01-13-2009 09:26 PM

He is who we thought he was but I guess Gerry Jones didn't know and signed him anyways. Do you want the Alouettes to sign him?

Joey 01-13-2009 09:52 PM

I guess he's what I expected considering I've seen him live a few times. My personal guess is that he's trying to focus on improving his positioning and skills right now and the physical play will come when he's more in tune with how he's handling his growing body. I dunno, could be way off

Ross MacLochness 01-13-2009 09:54 PM

He's awesome. I want this guy forechecking his ass off every game. He's going to have the size, strength, speed and skill to steal the puck and make plays. I don't want him to fall into the typical Montreal Canadiens mindset of "fall back to the blue line and wait for turnovers."

buddahsmoka1 01-13-2009 09:56 PM

I have seen him finish more checks since being called up than 70% of our forwards, I am not sure what you are talking about.

Kriss E 01-13-2009 10:13 PM

He is who we thought he was!!...Now crown his ass!!

Ohashi_Jouzu 01-13-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 17331263)
I guess he's what I expected considering I've seen him live a few times. My personal guess is that he's trying to focus on improving his positioning and skills right now and the physical play will come when he's more in tune with how he's handling his growing body. I dunno, could be way off

Which would be a lovely change from the way Gui tried to break into the league and ply his "physicality". How many times did he go for some big check and end up out of position/caught in the zone?? Glad to hear that Pac seems to be making a more intelligent effort while still trying to show some intensity. Can't wait to see more of him now that I'm back.

edit: oh, wait. I think I was meant to wait for post 15 or something before speaking ill of Gui. sorry. been a while.

Watsatheo 01-13-2009 10:41 PM

First thing that came to mind is Dennis Green.

Magic33 01-13-2009 10:44 PM

I think the main thing to remember is that, last year he was playing in college with guys who were 18 years old. I know he's played in Hamilton this year, but for him to come into the NHL and play as well as he has says a lot about who he is. So far, so good.

Guy Caballero 01-13-2009 11:07 PM

Who the **** is Pac-Man. Are you talking about Max-Pac?

Philanthropist 01-13-2009 11:30 PM

Pace Maker will be fine don't worry your pretty little head off.

habdynasty 01-13-2009 11:37 PM

He plays that american college type game, big but not really tough. He is going to be a bigger version of Higgens .

Slick Nick 01-14-2009 12:59 AM

He definitly needs to add some weight and muscle. Not shy from physical contact, but not winning his battles either. I believe he still needs some seasoning in the AHL, but I don't mind him getting experience in the NHL if we have enough room for him. IMO he's in the same situation Lats was when he made the team.. obviously skilled enough to contribute offensively but not quite ready overall to fill a top 6 spot, thus might be spoiled playing little minutes on the 3rd/4th line. I was watching the game tonight and would have liked to see D'agostini with Plex and Kovy in the 3rd period, as Max didn't seem to be ready for the kind of hockey that was played tonight.

Hackett 01-14-2009 01:36 AM

I dont have any expectations for him at this point. He hasnt even played an 82 game season yet, let alone a complete pro season.

If Pierre McGuire is right about him being the next Mike McPhee (with more offense), we got a beauty.

For those who dont remember Mike McPhee... he was a tank that played every shift like it was his last. He hit everything he saw and he personified intensity. Add hands to that equation and you got a scary player

peperebougon* 01-14-2009 02:27 AM

I wasn't even sure he would play here this season let alone play so well...this is his 1st pro season for Price's sake!!!! He is used to play a lot less games a year too in college....

I am thrilled with this kid!!!! He plays well over my expectations! The OP thought he would fight, crush everybody and score each game while playing perfect defense? Come on!!! the kid is doing good!!!

Pascal 01-14-2009 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 17331385)
I have seen him finish more checks since being called up than 70% of our forwards, I am not sure what you are talking about.

this

i like what i am seeing so far a lot. The kid is already an NHL player. Strong on the puck and to the net.

Bumjoo Wang* 01-14-2009 04:21 AM

http://www.presentationzen.com/photo.../16/pacman.jpg

LyricalLyricist 01-14-2009 06:06 AM

He has 10 hits in 6 games. He doesn't exactly scream power forward at this stage of his NHL career. Despite his decent statistics, I hope he gets sent down for extra seasoning. Say what you will about him contributing on the score sheet but we have the potential to make a true power forward, I want him to develop correctly. Short term he could help, but I don't want to stunt his growth for a short term fix. When Tanguay, Higgins and Koivu are back, I hope he gets sent down.

fufonzo 01-14-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 17336815)
He has 10 hits in 6 games. He doesn't exactly scream power forward at this stage of his NHL career. Despite his decent statistics, I hope he gets sent down for extra seasoning. Say what you will about him contributing on the score sheet but we have the potential to make a true power forward, I want him to develop correctly. Short term he could help, but I don't want to stunt his growth for a short term fix. When Tanguay, Higgins and Koivu are back, I hope he gets sent down.

10 hits in his first 6 NHL games isn't bad. That's better than the average in Montreal and he's pretty much on par with A. Kostitsyn at this point in terms of hits and has more hits/game than Air-Lappy.

He had a few big hits as well. I think he's doing a very good job. He parks himself in front of the net and does go in the corners.
His line isn't a dump and chase line. He doesn't have as many opportunities to go bang in the corners when they're carrying the puck in the zone.

I'm liking what I see from the kid. He's faster than I expected him to be. I wouldn't mind if he stayed up on the big team. IMO, he's ready (unless the high wears off and regresses somewhat).
Glad to see our depth is real.

fufonzo 01-14-2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic33 (Post 17332890)
I think the main thing to remember is that, last year he was playing in college with guys who were 18 years old. I know he's played in Hamilton this year, but for him to come into the NHL and play as well as he has says a lot about who he is. So far, so good.

To be fair, college guys are not 18 years old. He played with guys who were pretty much all older than him.
The average age of a freshman is 19 years old and most guys are in their 20's.

LyricalLyricist 01-14-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fufonzo (Post 17337614)
10 hits in his first 6 NHL games isn't bad. That's better than the average in Montreal and he's pretty much on par with A. Kostitsyn at this point in terms of hits and has more hits/game than Air-Lappy.

He had a few big hits as well. I think he's doing a very good job. He parks himself in front of the net and does go in the corners.
His line isn't a dump and chase line. He doesn't have as many opportunities to go bang in the corners when they're carrying the puck in the zone.

I'm liking what I see from the kid. He's faster than I expected him to be. I wouldn't mind if he stayed up on the big team. IMO, he's ready (unless the high wears off and regresses somewhat).
Glad to see our depth is real.

I'm not suggesting he's playing bad by any means. I realize it's his first 6 games, but all i'm saying is I don't want to rush him if unecessary. He's still raw and could use some extra seasoning is all, but he's close to being a full time player in the NHL.

Monctonscout 01-14-2009 09:58 AM

I think once all the injured guys are back, you'll see him in the AHL with D'agostini. His defensive game still needs work and I'd like to see him dominate in the AHL before making it here full time.

His skating and size will make him a pretty good NHLer, now he needs to improve his shot and puckhandling.