HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Hockey Talk by Country (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   European League Rankings? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=595350)

xDerekRx 01-14-2009 09:36 PM

European League Rankings?

Is there something like an IIHF ranking of each countries domestic league?

Or do any Europeans have a good opinion on the quality? I quite enjoy going to other countries and watching hockey. Always interested what was considered the best.

To my somewhat educated guess id say, considering only top divisions.

1. Russian
2. Swedish
3. Finish
4. German
5. Swiss
6. Czech

French, Italian, Spanish, Belarus, latvia, Slovakia, Austria, UK, Norway etc no idea.

Can anyone rank em all? Just for interest.

Jagger Bomb 01-14-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xDerekRx (Post 17351614)
Is there something like an IIHF ranking of each countries domestic league?

Or do any Europeans have a good opinion on the quality? I quite enjoy going to other countries and watching hockey. Always interested what was considered the best.

To my somewhat educated guess id say, considering only top divisions.

1. Russian
2. Swedish
3. Finish
4. German
5. Swiss
6. Czech

French, Italian, Spanish, Belarus, latvia, Slovakia, Austria, UK, Norway etc no idea.

Can anyone rank em all? Just for interest.

I'd probably go with that as well.

As for the lower tier leagues it gets tricky cuz you have second division leagues in sweden, finland, russia etc.. which are probably in all honesty better than the above even still...

xDerekRx 01-14-2009 11:45 PM

So far in person Ive seen UK, Swiss, German. Swiss German are nice. This year maybe French which I am not expecting alot from. Next year prob Fin/Swede so I like to know what quality is out there. Ill admit even Swiss/DEL are nice leagues to watch.

ilsuonatorejones 01-15-2009 02:11 AM

1. Khl
2. Sel
3. Sm-liiga
4. NL A
5. Extraliga
6. Del
7. Extraliga Slk
8. Ebel
9. Blr open

Ciccarelli 01-15-2009 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilsuonatorejones (Post 17355361)
1. Khl
2. Sel
3. Sm-liiga
4. NL A
5. Extraliga
6. Del
7. Extraliga Slk
8. Ebel
9. Blr open

I have a hard time ranking SEL over Sm-liiga, compering the rosters I'd say they're pretty even, Sm-liiga has the better North-Americans but SEL has got some EHT level finns while there is very few swedes in Sm-liiga (only 2 mentioning worth swedes in Sm-liiga; Stefan Öhman and Jonas Andersson... well Jari Tolsa is a EHT level grinder but he's lost his scoring touch). As a btw. notion, the "foreign limit" is only 3 per team in Sm-liiga but there will be no limit for EU players next season (it was an illegal rule anyways). So basicly that should increase the level of Sm-liiga.

Otherwise the list is pretty good allthough I'd rank Ebel over Slovakian Extraliga and Swedish second tier (Allsvenskan) as pretty much equal to Slk Extraliga, definately over the Belarussian league.

LiveeviL 01-17-2009 04:38 AM

There are a discussion in Sweden about the SEL quality. Some state that we lack a generation in the middle who has a good eye for the game; they are proficient individual, but not so much when it comes to reading the game. Those who states this says that the reason why SEL is so even right now is that no one really has a team which got a well thought out concept of playing.

I don't know about sm-liiga, but the discussion in Sweden about SEL is more concerned than self confident. I could see SEL as third and sm-liiga as 2nd.

Edit: about Swedish second tier. One must remember that these teams, the best of them, are real contenders to get into the SEL. As the worst SEL teams are moved down and the next worst has to battle against the best 2nd tier teams. If SEL is third I could see Allsvenskan as 5- 7thth

With that said, I don't think that the 2 Swedish tiers got to come so far away from each other in a ranking.

luciousharris 01-17-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilsuonatorejones (Post 17355361)
1. Khl
2. Sel
3. Sm-liiga
4. NL A
5. Extraliga
6. Del
7. Extraliga Slk
8. Ebel
9. Blr open

I wouldn't argue too much about that order. the only thing is I heard the Slovakian league was VERY good. I even heard that it was right underneath Sm Liga. I also saw a ranking of Euro leagues where theNLA was ranked towards the bottom of the elite leagues. Do the rankings cacnge because of player movement throughout europe.

EbencoyE 01-18-2009 02:37 PM

The IIHF already did this. A bit outdated now, but they'll probably release new rankings after the Champions League final. These are from this past off-season.

Russia Kontinental Hockey League
Finland SM-liiga
Czech Republic Czech Extraliga
Sweden Elitserien
Slovakia Slovak Extraliga
Switzerland National League A
Germany Deutsche Eishockey-Liga
Belarus Belarusian Hockey League
Latvia Latvian Hockey League
Denmark Oddset Ligaen
Austria Austrian Hockey League
Kazakhstan Kazakhstani Championship
Norway GET-ligaen
France Ligue Magnus
Slovenia Slovenian Hockey League
Italy Serie A
Hungary OB I bajnokság
Poland Polska Liga Hokejowa
Netherlands Eredivisie
Ukraine Ukrainian Supreme League
Great Britain Elite Ice Hockey League
Romania Liga Naţională de hochei

Kamzik 02-18-2009 05:18 PM

[QUOTE=EbencoyE;17419278]The IIHF already did this. A bit outdated now, but they'll probably release new rankings after the Champions League final. These are from this past off-season.
/QUOTE]

The best or most accurate way to go about this in my opinion is to compare budgets. It is budgets that allow teams to buy players and become better.

I know that the top Slovak teams have budgets of around 3.5 million Euro (5.7 million Canadian dollars). So not really enough to afford high priced international talent. There are some positives that come with this, such as Slovakia being forced to use their juniors, which in the long run produces more players.

A major problem with Slovak Extraliga is that the quality of teams really drops off after the top teams. That being said, Slovakia doesn't have as much money as Germany or Switzerland, but overall I would say they have better coaching.

Ciccarelli 02-18-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamzik (Post 18014964)
A major problem with Slovak Extraliga is that the quality of teams really drops off after the top teams. That being said, Slovakia doesn't have as much money as Germany or Switzerland, but overall I would say they have better coaching.

What really confuses me about the Extraligas (both Czech and Slovakian) is that neither of those two really use any foreigners. Slovak teams have some czechs and Czech teams have some slovaks but no Northern Europeans or North Americans. Having foreign players don't make the clubs automatically better but every team having a couple of guys like Shawn Bates (Sm-liiga) and Niko Dimitrakos (Elitserien) sure wouldn't make the leagues worse. I don't mean they should make the league like DEL (more foreigners than german players...) but maybe have a cap of 3 foreign players per team.

Btw. I disagree about the part where you said budgets are the best way to compare leagues. Money is of course a big factor but it isn't everything. A well scouted team with budget of 2mil€ easily beats one with a 4mil€ budget if the team has been put together by looking at stats at HockeyDB.com (bit of exaggeration here ofcourse, but you get the point). Salzburg is a rather wealthy club team in European standard still they can't lure top level talent becose of the fact that the Austrian league isn't highly respected at all. Elitserien team offering 200k€ against Austrian team offering 200k€; 95% of the time the player would chose the Elitserien team. Mostly due two facts; 1. more competitive league 2. a lot better chance to bounce back to the NHL (or even get a chance to do so)

jekoh 02-19-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosnell (Post 18015738)
What really confuses me about the Extraligas (both Czech and Slovakian) is that neither of those two really use any foreigners. Slovak teams have some czechs and Czech teams have some slovaks but no Northern Europeans or North Americans. Having foreign players don't make the clubs automatically better but every team having a couple of guys like Shawn Bates (Sm-liiga) and Niko Dimitrakos (Elitserien) sure wouldn't make the leagues worse. I don't mean they should make the league like DEL (more foreigners than german players...) but maybe have a cap of 3 foreign players per team.

Czech Extraliga teams already have about 3 foreign players per team : http://hokej.cz/index.php?view=stats...ni=KNAZEV,BODY

Ciccarelli 02-20-2009 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jekoh (Post 18029369)
Czech Extraliga teams already have about 3 foreign players per team : http://hokej.cz/index.php?view=stats...ni=KNAZEV,BODY

Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't know all the players on that list), but Benda is german and Treille is french, but besides those names there are only slovakian guys? As I said I know there are some slovaks in the league, but I ment they should acquire some NA players and swedish and finnish players.

jekoh 02-20-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosnell (Post 18053333)
Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't know all the players on that list), but Benda is german and Treille is french, but besides those names there are only slovakian guys? As I said I know there are some slovaks in the league, but I ment they should acquire some NA players and swedish and finnish players.

There are a couple of Latvians as well as another German (Walter), the rest are indeed Slovaks but saying there are hardly any foreigners is a bit misleading.