HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Cleaning goalie pads (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=596263)

Penguins23 01-17-2009 08:14 AM

Cleaning goalie pads

Here are my goalie pads http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/l/k...858k23_20.jpeg

I was wondering if any of you knew how to get those puck marks off. I heard you can use warm water and a cloth, is that true?

densetsu 01-17-2009 01:07 PM

I've had moderate success using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It got off all but the heaviest puck marks.

Then again, I've only used it once when I sold my pads. I'm a firm believer of leaving all pucks marks on my gear when I'm using it.:D

DevsFan84 01-17-2009 01:08 PM

Get yourself a mr clean magic eraser.

Some people use nail polish remover, but I don't know if that will damage the material. Guess it depends on the pad.

Personally, I like the puck marks. Shows character.

Penguins23 01-17-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevsFan84 (Post 17399315)
Get yourself a mr clean magic eraser.

Some people use nail polish remover, but I don't know if that will damage the material. Guess it depends on the pad.

Personally, I like the puck marks. Shows character.

It doesn't show character when those aren't my puck marks. These were used for a year by someone else. I just bough them and I have yet to use them. Thus none of those marks are mine.

Thanks for the idea though guy, I'll try it out.

DevsFan84 01-17-2009 05:47 PM

Ah, then I agree. They have to be your puck marks or they don't count. I did the same with my latest pair.

The Mr. Clean will take off the lighter ones, like the first poster said. The darker ones won't come off with that. Try the nail polish remover on a part of the pad you can't really see (like by the toe area) and see how if it damages the material. If it fades that, you won't really care.

I used white and black shoe polish on the other areas that still wouldn't come off. But, yellow shoe polish may not exist.

Penguins23 01-19-2009 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevsFan84 (Post 17403155)
Ah, then I agree. They have to be your puck marks or they don't count. I did the same with my latest pair.

The Mr. Clean will take off the lighter ones, like the first poster said. The darker ones won't come off with that. Try the nail polish remover on a part of the pad you can't really see (like by the toe area) and see how if it damages the material. If it fades that, you won't really care.

I used white and black shoe polish on the other areas that still wouldn't come off. But, yellow shoe polish may not exist.

Thanks, I believe you may be right. I should check out a clown shop. :laugh:

MikeD 01-20-2009 06:46 PM

I used a product called orange oil furniture polish. Dabbed a bit on a finger tip and rubbed it on hte puck mark lightly. The puck mark kind of disolved and I also found that if you heat the puck mark up it comes off even easier. I then used mild soap and water to clean off the orange oil furniture polish (for wood). I had left my pads in the car and they got pretty warm in the summer time heat. The average hair drier should be able to bring the temp up enough to help with the stubborn heavy marks. You wont get rid of it entirely but you can reduce them to very light.

I hate puck marks on anything but my catch glove. I prob spend as much time taking marks off as I do playing and getting them put on. lol

This was on synthetic leather(jenpro)

DevsFan84 01-21-2009 12:10 AM

Hmmm....I have to clean up a pair of brians beasts I'm selling.

How do you heat it up? A blow dryer?

MikeD 01-21-2009 06:34 PM

The temp inside a closed car on a sunny buffalo summer day is about 140F. A hair dryer should be able to reach that on a high setting. Just watch out for some of the design features. IF they have any vinyl decals, heat will have a negative affect.

simply heating isnt enough. You would alos need a mild product like the polish I mentioned to break up the rubber of the puck mark. I can tell you that most players think my pads are almost brand new and are shocked to find out they have been in regular use since the 2000-01 season.

just took this picture of htem a few minutes ago. You will have to excuse the dirty condition. I havent cleaned them since my last ice with them weekend before last. YEs, those are Maltese Gel toe caps....outstanding improvement over the hard caps you normally get. better rebound control off the cap(IMHO) and you dont get that hard impact you feel in the big toe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/DSCF1177.jpg

mattihp 01-25-2009 07:17 AM

How about the same kind of way you take molten plastic off the stove?

put a wax paper to the puck marks, and then use the steam iron on the wax paper, with some luck the puck stains could be transferred to the paper...

But I am thinking puck stains aren't severe enough for it to work.

Penguins23 01-26-2009 08:58 AM

Thanks to all. Keep the suggestions coming.