HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Down to the wire... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=59710)

Un Prophete 03-07-2004 11:05 PM

Down to the wire...
 
I thought for sure Barnaby would be gone by tonight, though i guess the night is still young. There are still at least four deals I would like to see go down (barnaby, rucinsky, messier, malakhov) and only about 40 hrs till the deadline. The clock is ticking...

Theoren Fan 03-07-2004 11:18 PM

I'd like to see Tom Poti, Dale Purinton, Vladimir Malakhov, Boris Mironov, Jan Hlavac and Mike Dunham all dealt.

I'd like Rucinsky to stay, but if we can get something good for him, lets go for it.

Of course, it's likely completely up to Mark Messier if Mark Messier is going to go to any other team...I don't know how good of a return he would bring anyway, but if this is going to be his last season, I'd like to see him get a chance to go out a winner.

Barnaby would really hurt to see go, but if we can get a pretty nice return for him and then sign him back in the offseason, then go ahead and let someone else rent him for the postseason.

I'm not sure what's going though Greg de Vries head, but if he really isn't going to be happy staying here through the rebuilding, let's send him off. He'd probably get a pretty nice return, too.

Jagr and Holik aren't going anywhere, nor really should they. Gotta keep some guy's around. Other then them, everybody else on the team are either the kids or new.

Un Prophete 03-07-2004 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fan
I'd like to see Tom Poti, Dale Purinton, Vladimir Malakhov, Boris Mironov, Jan Hlavac and Mike Dunham all dealt.

Don't get me wrong...I'd like to see all those players dealt as well, but I really don't see ANYONE going after Purinton or Hlavac (I hope to god i am wrong) and I will believe it when I see it if Slats parts with his boy Poti. A good return for DeVries would be nice too. But if we all have our way then that means TEN trades in the next 40 hrs. Of course all those players won't be dealt, but could you just imagine the amount of draft picks we'd have if they were. Dude I would crap my pants.

Barnaby 03-07-2004 11:29 PM

If all we can do for Barnaby is a 3rd... then I say try to ink him to an extension. As a Ranger fan the only guy that would hurt to lose after Leetch would be Barnaby. If your not getting a significant asset then keep the one guy we relate too.

Theoren Fan 03-07-2004 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
If all we can do for Barnaby is a 3rd... then I say try to ink him to an extension. As a Ranger fan the only guy that would hurt to lose after Leetch would be Barnaby. If your not getting a significant asset then keep the one guy we relate too.

Compared to what we got for Simon, I'd expect more then that.

Un Prophete 03-07-2004 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Compared to what we got for Simon, I'd expect more then that.

Yeah from the rumors I am hearing it is looking like a 2nd. Just keep piling on those 2nds and I'll be happy. Maybe even a couple more for next year since that draft will be so deep...or to use as bait in a trade in case we don't win the lottery so we can snatch Crosby...though no GM in their right mind would do that so nevermind. Just think about it though fellas...Ovechkin AND Crosby is a distinct possibility. Wow! I think we picked a good time to rebuild.

Theoren Fan 03-07-2004 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -El Duderino-
Yeah from the rumors I am hearing it is looking like a 2nd. Just keep piling on those 2nds and I'll be happy. Maybe even a couple more for next year since that draft will be so deep...or to use as bait in a trade in case we don't win the lottery so we can snatch Crosby...though no GM in their right mind would do that so nevermind. Just think about it though fellas...Ovechkin AND Crosby is a distinct possibility. Wow! I think we picked a good time to rebuild.

Here's alittle question.

Let's say for arguments sake we land the #1 pick either by lottery or by dealing with whoever gets the #1, and we draft Ovechkin. Next year's draft comes around and another team gets the #1 pick. Do you package Ovechkin and whatever else to that team for the #1 pick to draft Crosby, or keep Ovechkin and whatever else it would take and go from there?

Un Prophete 03-07-2004 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Here's alittle question.

Let's say for arguments sake we land the #1 pick either by lottery or by dealing with whoever gets the #1, and we draft Ovechkin. Next year's draft comes around and another team gets the #1 pick. Do you package Ovechkin and whatever else to that team for the #1 pick to draft Crosby, or keep Ovechkin and whatever else it would take and go from there?

I think it depends on the "whatever else" part. If it was minimal (which it wouldn't be), then I would be all for it. However it would probably take Ovechkin, our 1st (which of course would be very high as well), and another highly rated prospect. That I wouldn't do. Maybe I am overrating Crosby but I don't think so.

Theoren Fan 03-08-2004 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -El Duderino-
I think it depends on the "whatever else" part. If it was minimal (which it wouldn't be), then I would be all for it. However it would probably take Ovechkin, our 1st (which of course would be very high as well), and another highly rated prospect. That I wouldn't do. Maybe I am overrating Crosby but I don't think so.

It's hard to say what "whatever else" is, but it could easily look like this-

Rangers- Alexander Ovechkin, Hugh Jessiman, #1 2005, #2 2005

"Lottery Team"- #1 2005 (Sidney Crosby)

And that probably wouldn't be overpayment either, as Crosby is suppose to be the next best thing since sliced bread, but I don't know if that would be too much for the Rangers to give. It's hard to say because Crosby is suppose to be "that good".

Laches 03-08-2004 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -El Duderino-
I thought for sure Barnaby would be gone by tonight, though i guess the night is still young. There are still at least four deals I would like to see go down (barnaby, rucinsky, messier, malakhov) and only about 40 hrs till the deadline. The clock is ticking...


---I'm sure that at least one of Barnaby and Rucinsky will be gone in the next couple of days, very likely both.

Malakhov's name has come up in a lot of rumors, why others are interested in him over Mironov is beyond me. Neither has been effective this year, but Mironov looks like he is at least trying out there. Malakhov said he plans to retire at season's end. I think he retired in December.

Messier should be dealt to a contender. His presence here defies common sense.

As for others mentioned, Purinton and Hlavac aren't going to interest anyone. And unless a goalie on a playoff-bound team suffers a season-ending injury in the next 48 hours, I doubt Dunham will either.

Poti is an unusual case. As frustrated as I get with him, I'd be hesitant to trade him now. Given the season he's had, his value is about as low as it's going to get. And, given his aversion to physical play, he's not the type of guy that teams looking to gear up for a playoff run are looking to add. However, he could draw interest from a team that isn't going to the playoffs but is already looking towards next year (if there is one.) Carolina, Florida and Minnesota are all in desperate need of offense and might give Poti a look.

Un Prophete 03-08-2004 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fan
It's hard to say what "whatever else" is, but it could easily look like this-

Rangers- Alexander Ovechkin, Hugh Jessiman, #1 2005, #2 2005

"Lottery Team"- #1 2005 (Sidney Crosby)

And that probably wouldn't be overpayment either, as Crosby is suppose to be the next best thing since sliced bread, but I don't know if that would be too much for the Rangers to give. It's hard to say because Crosby is suppose to be "that good".

Yeah thats what I figure it would take as well. If the Rangers were stacked with prospects then that MIGHT be a possibility, but as things stand I would have to say no. Crosby is "that good", but we just don't have the organizational depth to do that.

in the hall 03-08-2004 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fan
It's hard to say what "whatever else" is, but it could easily look like this-

Rangers- Alexander Ovechkin, Hugh Jessiman, #1 2005, #2 2005

"Lottery Team"- #1 2005 (Sidney Crosby)

And that probably wouldn't be overpayment either, as Crosby is suppose to be the next best thing since sliced bread, but I don't know if that would be too much for the Rangers to give. It's hard to say because Crosby is suppose to be "that good".

alex ovechkin might not have as good of an upside as sidney crosby but he is just about as much of a lock to reaching his potential as sidney crosby is at this point....

so in essense u are trading as "close as a prospect can get to a gauranteed" 110 point player for as "close as a prospect can get to a gauranteed" 150 point player... the catch being of course ur also dealing atleast one other star potential player and two good prospects

i think thats way overboard..... id be happy with just ovechkin then having to bend over just to get crosby... crosby is gretzky.... ovechkin is jagr... jessiman could be thornton

kazo 03-08-2004 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
If all we can do for Barnaby is a 3rd... then I say try to ink him to an extension. As a Ranger fan the only guy that would hurt to lose after Leetch would be Barnaby. If your not getting a significant asset then keep the one guy we relate too.

Why would Barnaby or any other UFA sign a contract before testing the waters? Signing an extension without finding what the market is makes no sense. Besides that, Barnaby's first choice as to where to play is Buffalo.

in the hall 03-08-2004 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazo
Why would Barnaby or any other UFA sign a contract before testing the waters? Signing an extension without finding what the market is makes no sense. Besides that, Barnaby's first choice as to where to play is Buffalo.

he said it was the rangers...

kazo 03-08-2004 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall
he said it was the rangers...

No, he didn't. If Buffalo has no interest in him, then he'd be more than happy to sign in NY.

Buffalo has always been his first choice as to where to play.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.