HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: Future of Atlantic Division (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=597606)

BlueShirts88 01-20-2009 07:41 PM

Future of Atlantic Division

With all the recent rumors of the NY Islanders, it got me wondering into what the future division of the Ranegrs will look like. As much as I hope it doesn't happen, because I truly love the NY hockey rivalry, (and invading the Colisuem:sarcasm:)it is seems that a franchise move is probable with each passing day the Lighthouse project doesn't get approved.

Assuming the team moves, possibly to Kansas City, how will this affect the NHL conferences and more importantly, the Atlantic division.

Kansas City would be a Western team, which means a west team would have to move to the east. Columbus, Detriot, or Nashville are good candidates for this, but wouldn't go to the Atlantic. Assuming Detriot or Columbus move, that leaves Boston to the Atlantic? Buffalo? Too far north I think. What about Nashville? They would go down South, that leaves Washington to the Atlantic?

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong and there is a more simple solution. Clearly, geography is not my strong point:amazed:

geisenNYR 01-20-2009 08:15 PM

Detroit isn't moving......Boston is not moving because the NHL wouldn't want to lose the Bruins/Habs rivalry.....Washington would be a possible choice, especially because the NHL would love to have Ovie vs Crosby six times a year. I think when the Isles move, the Caps would probably move to the atlantic (which would make this division absolutely brutal year in and year out) and nashville would probably move to the south.

LeftCoastRangersFan 01-20-2009 08:21 PM

I can't see Detroit coming over to the East mainly because of their rivalry with Chicago. And yeah I'd love to see the Caps & Pens battle it out six times a year too. Adding Columbus to our division would kinda make sense since Pennsylvania is their natural neighbour & maybe a rivalry could sprout from that, I dunno...

Ih8theislanders 01-20-2009 08:31 PM

I'd guess Nashville to East, Southeast division, Washington up to Atlantic. Or Detroit to Northeast, Boston to Atlantic.

NYRFAN218 01-20-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders (Post 17462319)
I'd guess Nashville to East, Southeast division, Washington up to Atlantic. Or Detroit to Northeast, Boston to Atlantic.

The first one makes more sense and frightens me too. Could you imagine dealing with both Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin?

BenedictGomez 01-20-2009 09:51 PM

The Isles arent going anywhere.

This entire thing is an orchestrated bluff.

ecemleafs 01-20-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenedictGomez (Post 17464465)

werent the jets and whalers bluffing in the mid-90s as well?

BenedictGomez 01-20-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecemleafs (Post 17464548)
werent the jets and whalers bluffing in the mid-90s as well?

Very different circumstances.

The Thomas J.* 01-20-2009 10:15 PM

I would think Columbus would move into the East.

HellOnIce 01-20-2009 10:32 PM

If there's a future southeast division in hockey, Nashville needs to be in it. Nashville, Atlanta, TB, Carolina all are close geographically and have built in sports rivalries, at least with college sports.

we want cup 01-20-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders (Post 17462319)

Only reason I can't see Washington in the Atlantic is that it would make it a lot less likely for both Crosby and Ovechkin to make the playoffs, both of whom the league obviously wants in there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 (Post 17463077)
The first one makes more sense and frightens me too. Could you imagine dealing with both Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin?

But hey, at least we wouldn't have to have Tavares in our division. :sarcasm:

zaius 01-20-2009 11:49 PM

lighthouse project is definitely not happening. so its either another 7 years in that ****** arena and then a move or a move before then..

Tawnos 01-21-2009 12:39 AM

The division would depend first on where they move. If they moved to Kansas City, Portland, Houston or Las Vegas (some names you see a lot), then we would need another team back to the East. That brings up two scenarios, neither of which involve Detroit moving, because they aren't going to.

1.) Columbus moving to the East would be the most difficult. As much as it doesn't make sense, you would have to put them in the Atlantic Division. You'd like to see them in a division with Buffalo and Pittsburgh, but then you don't want to lose the Pittsburgh/Philly rivalry. Even if you moved Boston into the Atlantic, it'd still be difficult to figure out.

2.) Nashville moving to the East. This one is much easier for alignment. Nashville goes into the Southeast with Atlanta, Tampa, Florida and Carolina. Washington moves to the Atlantic. This would also promote the Ovechkin/Crosby rivalry even more. Of course, it would also mean we'd have to deal with Washington in our division, which would make the division even more competitive than it already is.

The other scenario is if the Isles were to move to Ontario. This would simply mean that Boston would move to the Atlantic and whatever incarnation the Islanders would have would be in the Northeast.

GarretJoseph 01-21-2009 05:12 AM

If that Arena in Brooklyn gets built, thats the best option for the Islanders as far as I can see.

CostaTheCrazyGreek 01-21-2009 07:51 AM

Move the team to Suffolk County and build an arena on the old Pilgrim State grounds.

ogie 01-21-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenedictGomez (Post 17464465)

tell that to Walter O'Malley and all of brooklyn.

1940rip 01-21-2009 11:13 AM

From HockeyBuzz.com, Gallof's Fishsticks blog...

The Lighthouse is moving along – rumors of its death have been greatly exaggerated.

This past Thursday, the Lighthouse Development Group met with the Planning Commission of Nassau County to give a progress report. This is not a part of the overall review process, but it was an important check-point for both sides to know where the other stands.

Gallof reported that watershed and waste water management seem to have been "overlooked" by the builders, so Hempstead is doing the environmental review. I must say, I'd love nothing more than to see them move to Kansas City. It'd be the ultimate revenge for all the misery I suffered in the 80s. He who laughs last...

Rags225 01-21-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogie (Post 17472240)
tell that to Walter O'Malley and all of brooklyn.

just to set the record straight, the Dodgers moving had more to do w/ Robert Moses being a complete a-hole, and not wanting to compromise whatsover w/ O'Malley b/c he wanted more use out of his roadway systems and the car instead of moving a team to flatbush avenue in Brooklyn. He wanted a team where the Mets play now, and rejected everything that O'Malley could come up w/. So O'Malley left took the team away. and Moses got his team a couple years later.

ogie 01-21-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags225 (Post 17472834)
just to set the record straight, the Dodgers moving had more to do w/ Robert Moses being a complete a-hole, and not wanting to compromise whatsover w/ O'Malley b/c he wanted more use out of his roadway systems and the car instead of moving a team to flatbush avenue in Brooklyn. He wanted a team where the Mets play now, and rejected everything that O'Malley could come up w/. So O'Malley left took the team away. and Moses got his team a couple years later.

my point was not laying blame on who's fault it was. But that O'Malley tried to pull the whole 'if you don't want us someone else will take us' thing and it didn't work out. From what i remember he started talking with LA as a way to light a fire under the ass of the new york politicians, and it didn't work out.

Blue Regime 01-21-2009 05:10 PM

If they moved Nashville into the SE Division and Washington into the Atlantic, that would make the least passionate about hockey division even less passionate. Plus our division would be brutally overpowered.

GregNYR19 01-22-2009 02:17 AM

i say move columbus into the east

take the coyotes back to winnipeg (just for the sake of it)

and the kansas city islanders can enjoy their new sprint center. that ugly eye sore in the middle of nowhere of a city with like 150,000 people

FutureGM97 01-22-2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragshockey88 (Post 17489169)
i say move columbus into the east

take the coyotes back to winnipeg (just for the sake of it)

and the kansas city islanders can enjoy their new sprint center. that ugly eye sore in the middle of nowhere of a city with like 150,000 people

Really? :shakehead

The Islanders are not going anywhere. If Long Island doesn't approve this Lighthouse thing, they are truly stupid. They don't have to pay a cent in tax payer dollars and the place will create jobs and so many other things. It is a no brainer...the Islanders are not going anywhere.

Svenhart2008 01-22-2009 09:12 AM

As much as the Isles are our rivals, i would be very unhappy to see them leave. There is alot of tradition in this division and to lose a substantial part of it wold hurt a lot.

Thank you

The Thomas J.* 01-22-2009 04:52 PM

Expansion has KILLED this sport.

segmentation fault 01-22-2009 05:04 PM

Columbus is the closest, so maybe they would join the atlantic should 2 teams swap conferences and then rename the division.