HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   What is the Best Remedy for Removing Stains from Jerseys? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=597998)

The Goaltending Guru 01-21-2009 07:44 PM

What is the Best Remedy for Removing Stains from Jerseys?

I apologize that this is probably in the wrong forum, but I just won a jersey on Ebay that the seller mentioned has a few small stains on one of the numbers on the back of the jersey and they mentioned that they haven't tried getting them out, but some stain remover should do the trick. Is there a certain stain remover/remedy that you swear by that should be an almost sure-fire guarantee for getting the stains out?

cmccallum 01-21-2009 08:18 PM

When someone replys let me know i have the same problem with my zetterberg jersey. I have a stain i have to get out.....

HJimm 01-21-2009 08:18 PM

Shoot me an e-mail and I'll tell how the pro's (LA Kings) do it.

yotesrock 01-21-2009 08:24 PM

I'd like to know too, so lets just share it:)

I Hate You All* 01-21-2009 08:33 PM

The LA Kings are pro jersey washers too.

octopi 01-21-2009 08:34 PM

I still haven't got the mustard out of my Yzerman white jersey, but the puck marks came out at the dry cleaners. Too bad, I thought the puck marks gave it charcter(I used to play goal in it)

vladmyir111 01-21-2009 08:44 PM

I've got blood on both the sleeves of my jersey from beatings rendered.

Although I have no answer to your question, I haven't washed mine in 10 years.

corvette06 01-21-2009 08:47 PM

I've had some mold/mildew stains on a Bruins jersey I bought off Ebay. Soak it overnight in some Oxy Clean, hang it up and let it dry completely, then wash it once its dry. Worked for me, hopefully it works for you too.

Phillybean 01-21-2009 08:48 PM

Heh,

I have blood and Gatorade on my Authentic Oilers Jersey. I tried washing it, but neither the stains nor the stink came out. So I only wear it when I go to GM Place. :yo:

Johnny Canucker 01-21-2009 08:52 PM

Buy a new one.

irishlaxburger2 01-21-2009 08:52 PM

If it's on a white part of the jersey, use a Clorox bleach pen.

angularcrayon19 01-21-2009 09:00 PM

this thread has the potential to be epic ;)

nullterm 01-21-2009 09:12 PM

I used some oxyclean to get some staining out of the white areas of the crest on one of my jerseys, carefully. Made up a solution (as suggested on the package) and spot treated the areas. Let it sit for a bit, then machine washed inside out with normal detergent.

Note: I've got no idea how it could affect the coloured areas of the crest and whole jersey. So be careful with the oxyclean, strong stuff.

I've read of people using those Tide stain removers too.

MikeD 01-22-2009 07:30 PM

between coffee, ketsup, mustard, BBQ, blood and several other items....

The oxyclean stuff works great. I used the cheap generic stuff you find at Family Dollar or Everything for a $ stores. In about a gallon of water I mixed in about 2-3 cups of the stuff, soaking the entire jersey in it over night. I have also made a Paste using a scoopful of the powder and just enough water to make it about the same consistancy as toothpaste, spreading that on as a spot treat, letting site over night before adding to a small (low water) wash with another 2-3 scoops of the generic oxyclean. Works great and does not affect colors on sublimated or authentic NHL jerseys.

yankeecpt15 01-22-2009 11:19 PM

for come...hot water and tide pen stick

hockeygoon15 01-23-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeecpt15 (Post 17501946)

:eek:

Prospalous 01-23-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeecpt15 (Post 17501946)

lol, wow

night-timer 01-26-2009 05:04 AM

Best advice for the tidy hockey player: wash your jerseys at least once a decade.

But seriously...

A friend who is a dry cleaner said you should always remove stains as soon as possible. He said a stain becomes an actual part of the fabric/fabric color after a month.

I know, I know, we have all missed the boat if that's the case!

Bring_Bak_Damphousse 01-27-2009 10:43 AM

can you actually wash a jersey in the washer? I always wash mine in the sink because I'm worried my red hab jersey is going to come outta the wash with a bright pink CH

cptjeff 01-27-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse (Post 17557015)
can you actually wash a jersey in the washer? I always wash mine in the sink because I'm worried my red hab jersey is going to come outta the wash with a bright pink CH

Yes, you can. You throw it in with normal detergent. And you can throw it in the dryer too, but that will make the logo wrinkle some. Air dry works fine though.

Seriously, it's basically just a polyester shirt with cotton letters. You wash polyester and cotton clothes together all the time with no problems...