HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   TSN Again: Jeff O'Neill will stay put in Carolina due to injury (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=59825)

Playmaker 03-08-2004 11:15 AM

O'Neill injured - no trade.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...32&hubName=nhl

GKJ 03-08-2004 11:15 AM

TSN Again: Jeff O'Neill will stay put in Carolina due to injury

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=75532

Martin 03-08-2004 11:16 AM

<B>EXPLETIVE</b>

:cry:

Playmaker 03-08-2004 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin
<B>EXPLETIVE</b>

:cry:

I guess you also read the article on Bobby Clarke after the PHI-OTT game? :handclap:

btn 03-08-2004 11:19 AM

All he does is kill the Thrashers, but this is good news for Carolina fans.

Martin 03-08-2004 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinkrantz
I guess you also read the article on Bobby Clarke after the PHI-OTT game? :handclap:

lol yeah

that one word just sums up how I feel. O'Neill's in my pool, so this is going to hurt me; i was looking forward to him getting traded, at which point his fantasy value would've been INFINITELY HIGHER than his being bogged down on the woeful Canes.

And how is it good news for Canes fans? last time I heard, Rutherford wasn't too keen on keeping him around. ******* should've traded him when he had the chance!

NFITO 03-08-2004 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin
And how is it good news for Canes fans? last time I heard, Rutherford wasn't too keen on keeping him around. ******* should've traded him when he had the chance!

he can still deal him... if he's looking to deal him before the deadline his value will take a hit, but I think there will be some non-playoff teams that might want him for next year and beyond - and might be willing to give up a better deal than playoff buyers who are only looking to move futures...

he can also qualify him and deal him in the offseason... he's a RFA and at $3.6 mill his salary isn't outrageous...

Parka 03-08-2004 11:32 AM

Well, the Hurricanes fans over on their board don't seem to be overly gutted by this. I'm not sure I would be either, as some of the proposed trades I've seen for him are not very good.

I look forward to a potential Anson Carter sweepstakes now. 8-)

GKJ 03-08-2004 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
he's a RFA and at $3.6 mill his salary isn't outrageous...

it is for someone who might not score 20 goals.

Martin 03-08-2004 11:35 AM

Carter's due for a rich vein of form, eh Parka?

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
it is for someone who might not score 20 goals.

Again, look at how pitiful the Canes are. Put O'Neill on any other team (even the Penguins) and he'd probably tally 30. Except Columbus.

Parka 03-08-2004 11:37 AM

Oh you know it. He had a point last game, IIRC. :-p

ZombieMatt 03-08-2004 11:42 AM

That's too bad for Canucks fans like myself which were hopeful that the minute chance of O'Neill coming our way.

People have said this increases the Carter sweepstakes, I think it puts even more likelihood into the fact that Miro Satan will be gone before tomorrow at 3 pm eastern.

neelynugs 03-08-2004 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountie
That's too bad for Canucks fans like myself which were hopeful that the minute chance of O'Neill coming our way.

People have said this increases the Carter sweepstakes, I think it puts even more likelihood into the fact that Miro Satan will be gone before tomorrow at 3 pm eastern.

i totally agree- satan becomes a major player right now. this may come out of left field, but here's my prediction- satan and biron to colorado in a deal that brings derek morris back to the sabres. it's crazy, but it's vintage PL

edit- PL would then bring in another Dman, of course

Peter Griffin 03-08-2004 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs
i totally agree- satan becomes a major player right now. this may come out of left field, but here's my prediction- satan and biron to colorado in a deal that brings derek morris back to the sabres. it's crazy, but it's vintage PL

What about Satan and Zhitnick to Colorado for Morris?

Martin 03-08-2004 11:50 AM

Imagine Satan on a line with the Sedin twins...

Too bad Burke's hands are tied!

Ajacied 03-08-2004 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
What about Satan and Zhitnick to Colorado for Morris?

It's Zhitnik and I doubt both will be dealt for just one player. Most likely a package consisting of prospects, picks, or contributing young NHL'ers. I can imagine the Avs dealing Morris to sweeten other positions, as he's been quite horrible at times this season.

Brodeur 03-08-2004 11:51 AM

And somewhere the Capitals management feels justified for scratching Gonchar....

Martin 03-08-2004 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur
And somewhere the Capitals management feels justified for scratching Gonchar....

In all fairness, if this was really a chronic shoulder problem that had been nagging him all year, he would've failed the team physical of whatever team he got traded to.

But yeah, he shouldn't have been playing >:O

Vagrant 03-08-2004 12:11 PM

I'm actually really happy this turn of events played out the way it did. O'Neill has had a shoulder problem the entire year and that could be a substantial reason why he wasn't producing on a level like we thought he should have. Players with shoulder problems, especially forwards, can be really hampered on their shot speed and accuracy. It's almost as bad as a wrist injury. Shots at the NHL level are almost mechanical. For Jeff, it could have meant the differance between a shot 3 inches over the crossbar and a top shelf goal.

Carolina didn't need to trade Jeff O'Neill, our most consistant scorer, for a package of could be's and maybe. Like i've said earlier, this season was just as much of an abberation as his 40 goal season a few years back. He's a 30 goal scorer. 60 point getter. To be traded for anything less than a stud prospect and decent pick would have been tragic.

For those of you that are worried about Jeff O'Neill's contract status, there is a big chance that he will resign for the same dollar amount or slightly less this offseason due to the fact that his arrbitrator would probably laugh in his face after a 15 goal season expecting numbers in the 4.5 to 5 million range. The most likely scenario is Jeff signing a one year contract at a similar amount to this year and hopefully playing his way back into a bigger contract right before his UFA status. One thing is for sure though, the chances are really good that Carolina gets another season of Jeff O'Neill if there is no lockout. I seriously doubt he is moved in the offseason.

NFITO 03-08-2004 12:23 PM

I agree it seems like a good thing that the Canes didn't move him...

although I don't know about him signing with the Canes long term... he's a RFA this year, and chances are that he retains his $3.6mill current contract... he can't be offered any less, since that makes him a UFA - so the Canes offer will likely be for $3.6mill on a one-year contract - and given the way he's played and the uncertainty of the CBA (which could hurt or help either side) he's likely to take that offer...

the risk though is that after the one year he could walk away as a UFA - if the CBA age, as speculated, decreases... likely not a huge chance of it lowered to 28 (or will he be 29 by that time?) but a chance none-the-less...

still a good thing in the end for the Canes... he could come back healthy next year (or the year after if there's a lockout) and could up his trade value substantially...

as a Canuck fan (so many rumoured deals!) I'm a bit disappointed (would have been more if I believed the rumours more than I did).. but overall I think this is a good thing for the Canes, and at least we're not going to be seeing O'Neill on a conference rival team this playoffs.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 03-08-2004 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs

Sabres fan here, and I really love that trade. PL would have to bring in another defenseman. Buffalo would be quite willing to part with Delmore - for free!

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 03-08-2004 12:42 PM

Zhitnik left last night's game and didn't come back. He's a horse, so that likely means he's hurt pretty bad. He could be off the market.

Takeo 03-08-2004 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Zhitnik left last night's game and didn't come back. He's a horse, so that likely means he's hurt pretty bad. He could be off the market.

He's expects to play Wednesday.

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20040308/1008405.asp

DARKSIDE 03-08-2004 02:08 PM

Rutherford gets what he deserves. Nothing against Carolina or getting value in return, but Rutherford was looking for steals. Just desserts for him!

bleedgreen 03-08-2004 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Rutherford gets what he deserves. Nothing against Carolina or getting value in return, but Rutherford was looking for steals. Just desserts for him!

wow. jr said the whole time he wasnt set on trading him - all the speculation was from other teams inquiring. jr was listening to what people were offering - but always said he wouldnt do it unless it was a good offer. just desserts? canes keep their all-star right wing who is young enough to stick around anyway, ill take mine with whipped cream. now everyone knows why he has struggled this season - he has had an undisclosed "upper body injury" all year - the tv guys for the canes have noted from time to time that he has had an injury he was trying to play through that inhibited his ability to shoot the puck. i think he would worth more during the offseason (pre OR post cba) anyway - so if they have to trade him, they can trade him to a team that wants him long term instead of teams trying to pick him up cheap as a playoff player this season. or they can just keep him, he gets healthy (shoulder surgery/ offseason)and gets back to the player he was the past 4 seasons - either way....canes win.