HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Poile POed at Sather for Nedved deal? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=59856)

igor* 03-08-2004 01:44 PM

Poile POed at Sather for Nedved deal?
 
Bear in mind that this is hearsay ...

I don't know if anyone else caught the Team morning show ... but they had someone from TSN guesting (didn't recognize the voice or catch the name) who said that the Predators were really upset that Nedved got traded to the Oilers in the manner, and at the return, that he was.

Apparently Poile never got a sniff at Nedved (which is odd, usually these guys are shopped to every possible buyer). And apparently he intimated that this was an 'old buddies' trade.

Things that make you go hmmm. :dunno:

BTW: Apologies if someone has already posted this.

H-Bear 03-08-2004 01:52 PM

There's an old boys club in the NHL? And the Oscar's are political?

Well, ****in' duh!!! (For those who have seen Robin Williams, Live on Broadway, you'll understand this)

Seriously though, is Poile seriously shocked? There is no doubt in my mind that Sather could have gotten more (without having to pay for Nedved's salary), but called up Lowe and played "Let's make a deal". They agreed to something, and got it done.

I'm sure Poile's got some buddies. Give them a call Poile!!

Oilers Hockey 03-08-2004 02:05 PM

Cry me a river, Polie. :cry:

And a big middle-finger to all the other fans who think the same thing but secretly wish they had a trading buddy that will do them favours.

igor* 03-08-2004 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-Bear
There's an old boys club in the NHL? And the Oscar's are political?

Well, ****in' duh!!! (For those who have seen Robin Williams, Live on Broadway, you'll understand this)

Seriously though, is Poile seriously shocked? There is no doubt in my mind that Sather could have gotten more (without having to pay for Nedved's salary), but called up Lowe and played "Let's make a deal". They agreed to something, and got it done.

I'm sure Poile's got some buddies. Give them a call Poile!!

That's a fair enough comment if it is a fantasy league. But Sather is a GM of an NHL hockey team and entrusted with a USD 90M payroll. And this is NOT his money, it is the Dolan's money.

If you owned a USD 120M widget business, and you discovered that the general manager was limiting the bidders on significant contracts to personal friends ... how would you feel about it? :rolly:

Hemmer 03-08-2004 05:00 PM

I wonder if the Blackhawks GM called Kevin Lowe and asked him if he would offer up anything more than 2 2nds for Steve Sullivan?

If not, Poile's comment is moot IMO.

oilers_guy_eddie 03-08-2004 05:57 PM

It was Gino Reda who said that Nashville is pissed about the Nedved deal.

Guy Flaming 03-08-2004 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
It was Gino Reda who said that Nashville is pissed about the Nedved deal.

Boo Hoo.

Nedved for 1 month + Markkanen = A good (but small) young prospect in Dwight Helminen, a terrific AHL goalie at least in Valiquette and a second round pick.

Didn't the Oilers only get a third round pick for Markkanen last summer? If that's right, then the difference +Valiquette+Helminen is what it cost to get 1 month of Nedved.

Unless you think that somehow Nedved will be an Oiler after this season, I don't think this was that unbalanced a trade. Don't get me wrong, obviously this was a great deal for the Oilers today because they added without giving anything up... from today. Overall, I actually think it's kinda even.

The Rage 03-08-2004 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyF
Boo Hoo.

Nedved for 1 month + Markkanen = A good (but small) young prospect in Dwight Helminen, a terrific AHL goalie at least in Valiquette and a second round pick.

Didn't the Oilers only get a third round pick for Markkanen last summer? If that's right, then the difference +Valiquette+Helminen is what it cost to get 1 month of Nedved.

Unless you think that somehow Nedved will be an Oiler after this season, I don't think this was that unbalanced a trade. Don't get me wrong, obviously this was a great deal for the Oilers today because they added without giving anything up... from today. Overall, I actually think it's kinda even.

I think they gave the Rangers the same pick they got from the Leetch/Markanen trade.

misfit 03-08-2004 07:00 PM

plus they also gave up a 4th with Markkanen for the rights to Leetch

Vomiting Kermit* 03-08-2004 07:04 PM

Poile's an *******. :)

igor* 03-08-2004 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by York16
Poile's an *******. :)

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the Nedved/Markkanen deal. Especially because of Jussi.

But I disagree with your assessment of Poile. I don't know him personally, but in interviews he comes across as an astute guy. He certainly has a solid reputation. And more relevantly ... I think he may have a point in this case. He won't accomplish anything tangible with voicing his displeasure with Sather publicly. Glen didn't break any rules. BUT ... Poile will certainly cast some aspersions on Sather's business-sense with this sort of comment.

[imaginary]What if ... after Lowe traded Comrie: Jay Feaster had publicly complained that he didn't get a kick at the cat, that he would have offered more than Clarke had? .... .... .... I think this board would have been on fire, and Lowe's competence and motives would have been called into question. And justifiably so IMO.[/imaginary]

Vomiting Kermit* 03-08-2004 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igor
But I disagree with your assessment of Poile.

Meh. :D

Basher 03-08-2004 07:29 PM

Poile wanted another shot at rippin' off Sather, who can blame him?

jstreet 03-08-2004 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igor
I don't know him personally,

I think you can all leave it at that.

windowlicker 03-08-2004 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars
I think you can all leave it at that.

:dunno:

Oi'll say! 03-08-2004 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igor

[imaginary]What if ... after Lowe traded Comrie: Jay Feaster had publicly complained that he didn't get a kick at the cat, that he would have offered more than Clarke had? .... .... .... I think this board would have been on fire, and Lowe's competence and motives would have been called into question. And justifiably so IMO.[/imaginary]

Good point, and if the return that we got wasn't a good one you're right, we'd be extremely upset.

However, there are times when Lowe might approach a certain gm just because they have a player the Oilers really want. For example, there are probably guys on this message board who, if offered a chance to broker one deal for the Edmonton Oilers, would immediatley phone a certain gm and ask for a certain player, eg Shane Doan. If he's available and the price is right why phone every other gm and see what they've got?

I can see how that doesn't really apply to the Nedved trade, anyone could give up a 2nd rounder and there are lots of Big Valleys around, but the Comrie trade was common news, any gm's who wanted him and didn't make a pitch can blame themselves.

As far as this deal is concerned, maybe Sather has tried to deal with Poile before and found him unreasonable, maybe Slats feels that the Preds will be able to sign Nedved long term whereas the Oil will set him adrift and the Rag$ can re-sign Petr without giving up any more players...

The "Old Boys" club theory is probably still the most likely, but it's not necessarily so.

Doomsday Device 03-08-2004 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windowlicker
:dunno:

Note the location.

igor* 03-08-2004 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
...
As far as this deal is concerned, maybe Sather has tried to deal with Poile before and found him unreasonable, maybe Slats feels that the Preds will be able to sign Nedved long term whereas the Oil will set him adrift and the Rag$ can re-sign Petr without giving up any more players...

Ya, I'm not really a believer in the 'Old Boys' theory.

And I suppose it is possible that Sather feels he lost the Dunham trade to Poile ... and ego doesn't allow him to get stung twice by the same bee. I dunno though.

But I like your other theory better:
The fact that the Oilers are seen to be unlikely to pick up Nedved's option makes a lot of sense. In fact that may very well be an unwritten condition on this deal, and the reason he dealt with someone he trusted. And if it works out that way ... and Sather resigns Nedved for less than $5M when the NHL starts up again ---> Props to Slats, he's smarter than I thought he was. Nedved loves NY too. Hmmm ... a conspiracy theory worthy of 'Mr.Mackey' and 'copper&blue'! :bow:

If there is one thing I have come to appreciate ... it is that Occam's razor doesn't often apply to the actions of either Sather or Lowe. :D

EDIT: Just too add more fuel to your theory. Nedved really doesn't seem like a Lowe or MacTavish kind of player to me. And he's more of a scorer than an outscorer. though as a rental who must realize he'll be UFA this summer ... I'm fairly sure he'll put forth his best game though.

IceDragoon 03-08-2004 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igor
...If there is one thing I have come to appreciate ... it is that Occam's razor doesn't often apply to the actions of either Sather or Lowe. :D ...

:lol:
Usually I appreciate the logical premise of Occam's razor, however, in this instance, I agree with you.
The logic behind the movements of these two gentlemen is far from simple. :D

They certainly like to exploit holes in the current CBA tho. ;)

barrytrotzsneck 03-08-2004 11:03 PM

i had heard rumors a looong time ago that the preds were interested in nedved...but having been a preds fan for 6 years and having met and spoken with david poile a great many times...and seen the way he handles things...it just doesn't sound like him. you can believe it or you can not believe it, but it's not his style. at any rate, i'm glad we got zholtok instead, as i think he'd be a bit better fit anyway, and being cheaper..gives us a little bit more flexibility in adding a defenseman in the next 18 hours.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.