HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   price point vs. higher end (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=600281)

Cams 01-28-2009 12:29 PM

price point vs. higher end

How much difference is there in regards to the higher priced (higher end) OPS (one piece stick), as opposed to the very affordable lower line ones? Where are the most noticeable differences? eg. I went to check out National Sport clearance sale. Apparently they had Easton stealth (reg $250 on for $99) as pro over runs. All gone of course by yesterday. The salesman tried to push a $40 ops on me instead. I play regularily, plus help run kids practices, and love the OPS. The one I have is a CCM V110 and is too stiff for me, not sure what flex it is, not marked.

I want to try to find a good quality ops that isn't gonna me cost me $300 (Easton S-17 are $279.00!!!!, and hear there are blade issues). Some parameters I prefer - good whip, probably an 85 flex for Easton, absolutely love the Drury pattern, and obviously light weight. Will likely have to cut, but not necessarily.

Any suggestions???? I usually spend an hour or more trying to find the perfect stick..... Or should I just watch the coupon thread for deals, or look for sales at my LHS.

raganblink 01-28-2009 04:39 PM

280 for the s17 is ridiculous. suggested retail is less than that by i think 20, and minimum retail is 220. they get the stick for about 150. they're ripping you off on that.

Really though the main differences between let's say, the SE16 compared to the SE6, besides the 100 dollar difference, is weight and performance. The cheap ones will last as long as the expensive ones, so there isnt a durability issue.

Basically with a 420 gram stick you are going to get a faster shot and it will be easier to control the puck as to opposed to a 600 gram stick. you wont get as much force behind shots.

I've played with wood up to the S17s, now with the 10k, and its like a drug once you get the expensive stuff. You realize that it is worth that extra cost and you are hooked. Be forewarned, once you go to the expensive ones, it will be VERY hard to go back to anything less.

If I were you, I'd stick around the price range of about 150-175 (depening on how big of a markup your store has). Don't go with the top end sticks, but dont go to the bottom either.

cptjeff 01-28-2009 04:47 PM

Go with a top end two piece setup. It's cheaper and not quite as amazing, but still great weight and performance. An easton two piece synergy will run out about 170 without any sales (USD), and gives you a similar level of performance as a standard top end Synergy. And you can replace it in parts.

But the difference between the low end and high end sticks is quite noticeable.

Stefan It Up 01-29-2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 17585190)
Go with a top end two piece setup. It's cheaper and not quite as amazing, but still great weight and performance. An easton two piece synergy will run out about 170 without any sales (USD), and gives you a similar level of performance as a standard top end Synergy. And you can replace it in parts.

But the difference between the low end and high end sticks is quite noticeable.

+1

I would go with a high-end one-piece, than a high-end two-piece setup, and finally a nice wood stick before I would go for a price point OPS.