HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Biggest Dissapointment so far this year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=600803)

Kevin Danko 01-29-2009 05:04 PM

Biggest Dissapointment so far this year?

Who would you say has been the flyers biggest dissapointment so far this season? Tsn put up an article stating Coburn under their Team Rankings. Of Course the obvious answer is Briere, however, who cares about Briere anyway.....Besides Briere, who is the biggest Dissapointment on this team?

To me it's Biron.

FlyHigh 01-29-2009 05:11 PM

I'd go Coburn, Briere's injury, and Biron's inconsistency (and I love Marty still fyi).

Terence Peterman 01-29-2009 05:13 PM

Biron's mechanics. I still love Marty too, and will defend him to no end as long as our current situation exists, but I can't fathom why a goaltender well into his NHL career hasn't learned to keep his damn glove hand up.

But I guess I cheated a little, cause that's not necessarily just this year. So put me down for Coburn too.

jb** 01-29-2009 05:14 PM

Stevens. Still seeing the same old crap that we did 3 years ago when he took over. Poor in their own end, no urgency, more unprepared to play than prepared, no structure, no creativity. Goaltending is nto disappointing. It has and always will be average.

GKJ 01-29-2009 05:21 PM

Biron is not a disappointment. Biron is what he is. A decent starter who needs a 1A with him and got hot in the playoffs. He's never been anything different, I don't know why people ever thought any different. You'd like him to play better, but he's not a top tier goalie, so he plays as well as a lot of every other middle-of-the-road starter.

DickTony 01-29-2009 05:26 PM

Randy Jones for me...I was holding out some sort of hope that he'd actually at least SEMI play up to his contract. That hope was destroyed.

FlyHigh 01-29-2009 05:30 PM

Biron was well above average all of last year (including regular season) and had 3 straight above-average seasons with the Sabres, he's certainly in the top-15 of netminders in the NHL which makes his inconsistency this year that much more disappointing.

I still think he'll get it together though.

Terence Peterman 01-29-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 17603978)
Biron is not a disappointment. Biron is what he is. A decent starter who needs a 1A with him and got hot in the playoffs. He's never been anything different, I don't know why people ever thought any different. You'd like him to play better, but he's not a top tier goalie, so he plays as well as a lot of every other middle-of-the-road starter.

My post was more of a general thing with this year. I'm probably the most visually angry when the Biron bashing starts up.

Raffl House 01-29-2009 05:34 PM

This is the epitome of a Philadelphia-fan topic. We have a good team currently in the playoff standings, and we are asking whats the biggest disappointment so far. :laugh:

Meh, I'll bite -- I'd say Stevens as well. He doesn't allow players to be 100% efficient and succesful based on his system and his inability to adjust. Why are Coburn and Carle STILL together? Timonen - Coburn, Carle - Vaananen -- so EASY.

GKJ 01-29-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh (Post 17604125)
Biron was well above average all of last year (including regular season) and had 3 straight above-average seasons with the Sabres, he's certainly in the top-15 of netminders in the NHL which makes his inconsistency this year that much more disappointing.

I still think he'll get it together though.

He was still up and down. This time last season he wasn't even the starter, Niittymaki pretty much took over in January, at least for a while. His higher moments last year were better than anything from this year thus far as he was red hot to begin and end the season, but that didn't change what it is, and he wasn't any different those years in Buffalo.

NathanFoley 01-29-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carle Winslow (Post 17604212)
This is the epitome of a Philadelphia-fan topic.

Well then I'll take it one step further... my biggest disappointment is the fact that Pitkanen is playing well in Carolina.

GKJ 01-29-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NathanFoley (Post 17604251)
Well then I'll take it one step further... my biggest disappointment is the fact that Pitkanen is playing well in Carolina.

He's in a perfect situation for him down there.

dbr2 01-29-2009 05:48 PM

I might add to this later but, Coburn. I love the guy and I would love to say this is just his sophomore slump. But he's not looking so hot this year. My 2nd is Stevens. Need I say more?

Raffl House 01-29-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 17604374)
He's in a perfect situation for him down there.

What situation is that?

BladesofSteel21 01-29-2009 05:49 PM

1. Lupul

2. Coburn

3. Metro (but does he really matter) Jim Dowd could do the job 4 half the $$$

GKJ 01-29-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carle Winslow (Post 17604429)
What situation is that?

He plays in a market where no one knows who he is. They won't get on him for not being a superstar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoFlyer (Post 17604440)
3. Metro (but does he really matter) Jim Dowd could do the job 4 half the $$$

I echo Metro. I expected a little more offensive production. He's had chances too.

Dig Out Your Soul 01-29-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh (Post 17603809)
I'd go Coburn, Briere's injury, and Biron's inconsistency (and I love Marty still fyi).

I would say these + Metropolit's useless carcass, Stevens because nothing has changed, and an underwhelming year from Lupul so far.

FlyHigh 01-29-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul (Post 17604670)
I would say these + Metropolit's useless carcass, Stevens because nothing has changed, and an underwhelming year from Lupul so far.

Yeah, I thought about including Lupul as well.

I think you and I will need to have some kind of death-match over Metro, I love the guy.

shamski7 01-29-2009 06:24 PM

i agree with metro. i surely expected more thank one goal from him at this point. also kinda disappointed with coburn. was expecting a little more from him.

for me the biggest disappointment was the slow start. it was what game 7? that we finally got our first win. you never know when those points that got away early will come back to haunt you.

oh yeah, randy jones is still on the team. thats a big downer

BillyShoe1721 01-29-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carle Winslow (Post 17604429)
What situation is that?

Where the fans and media aren't nit picking him for every mistake he mistakes, not nearly as intense a hockey environment as Philadelphia and Edmonton.

CantSeeColors 01-29-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zamboni88 (Post 17605085)
You guys are too goo goo over Richards. Look at what Carter is doing then look at Richards production. I am disappointed.

-Z

Yeah, that four point difference is HUGE!

HoverCarle* 01-29-2009 06:34 PM

Coburn and his PIMs

Biron to an extent

Briere injuries

Stevens refusing to leave Timonen-Coburn together

CharlieGirl 01-29-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercraft (Post 17605142)
Coburn and his PIMs

Biron to an extent

Briere injuries

Stevens refusing to leave Timonen-Coburn together

This pretty much covers it.

Considering I expected very little out of Jones, I can't say he's a disappointment.

CanadianFlyer88 01-29-2009 07:37 PM

Definite Disappointments:

Coburn and his 'regression' from last year.
Giroux's training camp.
Dumb, dumb, dumb hooking/holding penalties, mainly by Coburn and Hartnell.

Moderate Disappointments:

Metro's ineffectiveness on offense; I expected a little more.
Parent's injury.
Briere's injury; though, as a positive, it allowed us to see some interesting line combinations and allowed Carter to break out.

There's probably a couple other little things, but that's good enough.

ArmchairGM 01-29-2009 07:54 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on why Coburn has seemed to be so lackluster this year? Could it have to do with his visor and what happened last year?