HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   OT: San Fran to Sacramento (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=600989)

Roughneck 01-30-2009 12:57 AM

San Fran to Sacramento

I've got a pretty straightforward question. What's the cheapest way to get from San Francisco airport to Sacramento?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nighthock 01-30-2009 01:06 AM

Car?

Pure Rock Fury* 01-30-2009 01:11 AM

Walking is free.

ChompChomp 01-30-2009 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roughneck (Post 17614950)
I've got a pretty straightforward question. What's the cheapest way to get from San Francisco airport to Sacramento?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I assume you don't have a ride and need to make your own way from SFO to Sacramento.

It's pretty simple. Taxi costs too much and there isn't a direct train.

BUT

SFO has a BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) station. Take BART to the Richmond BART Station (you will probably need to transfer a line or two, but it's simple).

At the Richmond BART station, you can get on a train run by Amtrak called the Capitol Corridor. That will take you to Sacramento.

Links to help you:

http://www.bart.gov/

http://www.capitolcorridor.org/

sharksohnoes! 01-30-2009 01:13 AM

probably greyhound. There might be an Amtrak though.

Vaasa 01-30-2009 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 17615066)
I assume you don't have a ride and need to make your own way from SFO to Sacramento.

It's pretty simple. Taxi costs too much and there isn't a direct train.

BUT

SFO has a BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) station. Take BART to the Richmond BART Station (you will probably need to transfer a line or two, but it's simple).

At the Richmond BART station, you can get on a train run by Amtrak called the Capitol Corridor. That will take you to Sacramento.

Links to help you:

http://www.bart.gov/

http://www.capitolcorridor.org/

This will get you there, depending on when you land, as the Capitol Corridor has limited hours.

Honestly, your best bet is to just rent a car. It will cut anywhere from 1-4 hours (or more, depending on train schedules) from your trip and the route is pretty easy. Leave SFO and take 101 North, merge onto I-80 over the Bay Bridge. Stay on 80 North until you hit Sacramento.

Roughneck 01-30-2009 01:26 AM

Sorry, guess I wasn't too helpful with the description, yes I don't have a car and generally it would come down to a train or bus. Not old enough to rent one and its unlikely one of the coaches will be able to come down to pick me up (I'm a straggler for this tour).

Looks like getting to Emeryville and Amtrack to Sacramento is the fastest, cheapest way.

Thanks for the help.

ChompChomp 01-30-2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roughneck (Post 17615155)
Sorry, guess I wasn't too helpful with the description, yes I don't have a car and generally it would come down to a train or bus. Not old enough to rent one and its unlikely one of the coaches will be able to come down to pick me up (I'm a straggler for this tour).

Looks like getting to Emeryville and Amtrack to Sacramento is the fastest, cheapest way.

Thanks for the help.

I would think BART from SFO to Richmond and then Amtrak Capitol corridor would work better.

USF Shark 01-30-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 17615191)
I would think BART from SFO to Richmond and then Amtrak Capitol corridor would work better.

I think there's a capital corridor stop closer....I think at the Oakland Coliseum.....

or why not just fly into Sacramento?

MrCowGod15 01-30-2009 02:12 AM

Yep, use Capitol Corridor

ChompChomp 01-30-2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USF Shark (Post 17615345)
I think there's a capital corridor stop closer....I think at the Oakland Coliseum.....

or why not just fly into Sacramento?

But Richmond is on the way to Sacramento, and BART runs more often than CC, so I would think it makes the most use to BART to get you closest to Sactown as possible (Richmond Bart station), then hop on CC.

He probably can't get a flight into Sac. His avatar says he's from Calgary and I doubt there are many Calgary-Sacramento flights, except with few flight changes.

CrazedZooChimp 01-30-2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 17615372)
But Richmond is on the way to Sacramento, and BART runs more often than CC, so I would think it makes the most use to BART to get you closest to Sactown as possible (Richmond Bart station), then hop on CC.

He probably can't get a flight into Sac. His avatar says he's from Calgary and I doubt there are many Calgary-Sacramento flights, except with few flight changes.

Are there flights from SF to Sacramento? like, a 20 minute flight...

USF Shark 01-30-2009 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp (Post 17615394)
Are there flights from SF to Sacramento? like, a 20 minute flight...

They do have flights from SF to Oakland and SF to Sacramento....but it's very difficult to get on one of those as you essentially need to know someone to get on them. They happen on occasion when an airline needs to adjust the number of planes and personnel they station at each airport.

I know Buchanan Field in Concord had flights to LA and Sacramento...but I don't know if they still do that.

Furious George 01-30-2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USF Shark (Post 17615434)
They do have flights from SF to Oakland and SF to Sacramento....but it's very difficult to get on one of those as you essentially need to know someone to get on them. They happen on occasion when an airline needs to adjust the number of planes and personnel they station at each airport.

I know Buchanan Field in Concord had flights to LA and Sacramento...but I don't know if they still do that.

I know for sure that United Express flies from SFO to SMF and you don't need to "know" somebody, it's a regularly scheduled flight that you can book on their website.

USF Shark 01-30-2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furious George (Post 17615483)
I know for sure that United Express flies from SFO to SMF and you don't need to "know" somebody, it's a regularly scheduled flight that you can book on their website.

yeah, but it's expensive isn't it? When airlines like United shift their fleet around you can basically get on the flights for nothing, but you have to know when it happens and for that you need to know someone who can tell you.

CrazedZooChimp 01-30-2009 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furious George (Post 17615483)

I figured there had to be some sorta city hopper commuter flights. Probably not real cheap though.

TheDanceOfMaternity 02-01-2009 12:24 PM

Amtrak is bull ****. It usually costs more than a plane flight would between two cities.

If you're not going to San Francisco at all, why stop there. Connect in Portland/Seattle/Salt Lake City etc.

Tomahawk214 02-01-2009 12:50 PM

What about Golden Gate Transit? Long bus ride, but it will take you from SF to Sac pretty cheaply.

TheGooooch 02-01-2009 12:57 PM

steal a car

TheNeutral 02-01-2009 12:59 PM

just connect in portland

ChompChomp 02-01-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDanceOfMaternity (Post 17658196)
Amtrak is bull ****. It usually costs more than a plane flight would between two cities.

If you're not going to San Francisco at all, why stop there. Connect in Portland/Seattle/Salt Lake City etc.

Are you sure this applies to "capital corridor" though?

bosco99 02-01-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roughneck (Post 17615155)

Thanks for the help.

I used to work in Emeryville and have taken the amtrak many times from sacramento. Take Bart to Richmond. Amtrak and bart share that same station, as opposed to Emeryville where you'd have to take a bus (although it's free) from bart to the train station. It shouldn't be a problem if your traveling during normal hours.

bosco99 02-01-2009 01:02 PM

capitol corridor form Richmond to Sacramento will be around 18 bucks. It's not too bad. I know people that do that commute daily.

ChompChomp 02-01-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosco99 (Post 17658961)
I used to work in Emeryville and have taken the amtrak many times from sacramento. Take Bart to Richmond. Amtrak and bart share that same station, as opposed to Emeryville where you'd have to take a bus (although it's free) from bart to the train station. It shouldn't be a problem if your traveling during normal hours.

I said that too. Makes perfect sense to take BART from SFO to Richmond, then Capitol Corridor to Sacramento. As someone just said, it doesn't cost that much, compared to alternatives (taxi, or changing a flight itinerary to fly into Sac).

Roughneck 02-02-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDanceOfMaternity (Post 17658196)

Amtrak looks to cost less than the cab fares my team will have to take from Sacramento Airport to our hotel, seems reasonable enough to me.

And I got the flight to SF real cheap, which really limited my options, it was just over $100 cheaper to fly direct into SF than connect in Denver (the only other option I got) to get into Sacramento.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosco99 (Post 17658961)

Yeah, I noticed that when I dug a bit more. Probably the way I'll do it.

Thanks again for the help.