HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Pit-Edm-Bos (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=601002)

FrankGrimes 01-30-2009 03:25 AM

Pit-Edm-Bos

OK so let me preface this by saying that yes I am an Oiler fan and I'm not a big fan of proposals but I'm super sick and have nothing better to do, so here we go...

First:
To Pittsburgh: Erik Cole, Robert Nilsson / Marc Pouliot (Pitts Choice)

To Edmonton: Ryan Whitney, Miro Satan

I know Cole is slumping this year, but IMO he is a more talented and faster version of Colby Armstrong, is an excellent team guy and could mesh very well with Crosby. Perhaps also include a conditional '10 pick should Cole not re-sign this summer, as Pittsburgh may be weary of UFAs after Hossa.

Before anyone says Nilsson has no trade value, neither does Satan and this element is just included as a bit of a salary dump to benefit Pittsburgh. I also think each player would benefit from the move, since Nilsson has all-world talent that could shine next to Crosby, and has shown some measure of chemistry with Cole. If not interested, take Pouliot instead, who is developing solidly this year and shone with Crosby in junior.

Satan, despite all his faults, can still shoot and that is something that the Oilers need badly, while he also trades the spotlight of being Crosby's failed sidekick for the fishbowl spotlight of playing in Edmonton, which he has experienced before.

Then:
To Boston: Ryan Whitney or Tom Gilbert (Boston's choice), 1st rounder '09, Rob Schremp
To Edmonton: Milan Lucic, 3rd rounder '09

I know Lucic is seen by many as the face of the franchise moving forward, but frankly I think this trade makes Boston a better team and a cup win this year or next would create a more lasting legacy than Lucic ever could by himself. The Oiler fan in me would hope that Boston would take Whitney in this trade but I'm sure they would request Gilbert seeing as how he is nearly as good offensively and more responsible defensively for the same cap hit. The fact that Whitney is a hometown boy may come into play though.

The loss of Looch would hurt, but I also believe that Boston will get Tkachuk this year and the projected position of Edm's 1st gives them a good shot to pick up Zach Kassian, who could potentially help fill that role soon enough. Like Nilsson, Schremp has no real trade value, but he still has potential and I'd bet he would be more likely to realize it in a city nearer his hometown, with a franchise who's rabid fanbase never expected him to be a superstar. Like in Edm, however, his style might clash poorly with Julien's coaching.

For Edm, this trade fills another need of a balls-to-the-wall power forward who hits, scores and who will be able to grow with the team, while the 3rd is basically a lottery ticket.

Essentially these trades are Whitney/Gilbert + '09 1st for Lucic and Cole for Whitney with whatever fleshing out is needed.

Now excuse me while I get the firehose ready...

Andrew B 01-30-2009 04:01 AM

Satan is cancer.

GoGoCrazy 01-30-2009 04:38 AM

imo, pittsburgh and edmonton get the shaft as boston takes their riches and run. lucic isnt worth whitney and a mid level 1st, which is what boston is getting for him basically. and pittsburgh would never (i hope) trade whitney and his great contract for anything but a young (under 26) winger with at least 2 years after this one left on his contract and is already a legitimate top 6 forward. Think Horton range...

Morozov 01-30-2009 05:30 AM

Whitney isn't getting moved for any ufa let alone Eric freakin Cole

kmillzy5 01-30-2009 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morozov (Post 17615681)
Whitney isn't getting moved for any ufa let alone Eric freakin Cole

seriously! this proposal is WEAK.

thadd 01-30-2009 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankGrimes (Post 17615395)
OK so let me preface this by saying that yes I am an Oiler fan and I'm not a big fan of proposals but I'm super sick and have nothing better to do, so here we go...

First:
To Pittsburgh: Erik Cole, Robert Nilsson / Marc Pouliot (Pitts Choice)

To Edmonton: Ryan Whitney, Miro Satan

I know Cole is slumping this year, but IMO he is a more talented and faster version of Colby Armstrong, is an excellent team guy and could mesh very well with Crosby. Perhaps also include a conditional '10 pick should Cole not re-sign this summer, as Pittsburgh may be weary of UFAs after Hossa.

Before anyone says Nilsson has no trade value, neither does Satan and this element is just included as a bit of a salary dump to benefit Pittsburgh. I also think each player would benefit from the move, since Nilsson has all-world talent that could shine next to Crosby, and has shown some measure of chemistry with Cole. If not interested, take Pouliot instead, who is developing solidly this year and shone with Crosby in junior.

Satan, despite all his faults, can still shoot and that is something that the Oilers need badly, while he also trades the spotlight of being Crosby's failed sidekick for the fishbowl spotlight of playing in Edmonton, which he has experienced before.

Then:
To Boston: Ryan Whitney or Tom Gilbert (Boston's choice), 1st rounder '09, Rob Schremp
To Edmonton: Milan Lucic, 3rd rounder '09

I know Lucic is seen by many as the face of the franchise moving forward, but frankly I think this trade makes Boston a better team and a cup win this year or next would create a more lasting legacy than Lucic ever could by himself. The Oiler fan in me would hope that Boston would take Whitney in this trade but I'm sure they would request Gilbert seeing as how he is nearly as good offensively and more responsible defensively for the same cap hit. The fact that Whitney is a hometown boy may come into play though.

The loss of Looch would hurt, but I also believe that Boston will get Tkachuk this year and the projected position of Edm's 1st gives them a good shot to pick up Zach Kassian, who could potentially help fill that role soon enough. Like Nilsson, Schremp has no real trade value, but he still has potential and I'd bet he would be more likely to realize it in a city nearer his hometown, with a franchise who's rabid fanbase never expected him to be a superstar. Like in Edm, however, his style might clash poorly with Julien's coaching.

For Edm, this trade fills another need of a balls-to-the-wall power forward who hits, scores and who will be able to grow with the team, while the 3rd is basically a lottery ticket.

Essentially these trades are Whitney/Gilbert + '09 1st for Lucic and Cole for Whitney with whatever fleshing out is needed.

Now excuse me while I get the firehose ready...

If we're keeping Gilbert I'm ok with this.

kmillzy5 01-30-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thadd (Post 17616014)
If we're keeping Gilbert I'm ok with this.

HAHA! funny man! Pittsburgh gets robbed!

8BostonRocker24 01-30-2009 08:32 AM

Boston fans might not like giving up Lucic, but that is a steal for them.

Oilfan2 01-30-2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geno12 (Post 17616025)
HAHA! funny man! Pittsburgh gets robbed!

Pittsburg??? Hell, the Oilers give up Gilbert, Nilsson, Cole, Schremp and a 1st and get a replacement in Whitney (???I'll keep Gilbert, thanks) and Lucic??? Can't count Satan. Don't want another soft, weak player. A big pass from the Oil end..That's too funny..

Jimmi Jenkins 01-30-2009 08:35 AM

So Edmonton and Pittsburgh are finding every way possible to not only make Boston significantly better, but dramatically over pay for Milan Lucic? Wow, that's really not good at all.

wej20 01-30-2009 09:36 AM

I d give you Satan for that package and Whitney's jock.

kmillzy5 01-30-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 17616176)
So Edmonton and Pittsburgh are finding every way possible to not only make Boston significantly better, but dramatically over pay for Milan Lucic? Wow, that's really not good at all.

preach it.

embracedbias 01-30-2009 09:48 AM

Total overpayment for Lucic... but Boston fans still won't go for it because of the Lucic love. Perhaps your goal was to pose a dilemma for Boston fans?

cashman rules* 01-30-2009 10:00 AM

No from the bruins,looch for life.

Jag68Sid87 01-30-2009 10:04 AM

If we could negotiate with Cole immediately, I would definitely consider this move from the Pens perspective. I doubt the Bruins want any part of dealing Lucic.

WreckItRask 01-30-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 (Post 17616145)
Boston fans might not like giving up Lucic, but that is a steal for them.

Was thinking the same thing. I do it in a heartbeat with the cap issues coming up.

Bruinsfan_37 01-30-2009 10:27 AM

Lucic isn't going anywhere..

21Bruins1Cup 01-30-2009 01:43 PM

"To Boston: Ryan Whitney or Tom Gilbert (Boston's choice), 1st rounder '09, Rob Schremp"

Boston isn't getting enough in this trade for Chia to pull the trigger on this offer, maybe add another 1st or top pairing D-man?...:sarcasm:

21Bruins1Cup 01-30-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Lucic isn't going anywhere..

This.....:handclap:

Nikita Filatov* 01-30-2009 02:13 PM

Boston can't do it... Although I'd love to work out a smaller deal with Schremp.

Ragamuffin Gunner 01-30-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 (Post 17616907)
If we could negotiate with Cole immediately, I would definitely consider this move from the Pens perspective. I doubt the Bruins want any part of dealing Lucic.

Why trade a good young puck mover for a UFA just so they can try to sign him sooner? IF they want his rights early they can get them for a mid to late pick after the season ends.

Joey Moss 01-30-2009 02:34 PM

wow.. massive overpayment for Lucic. The Oilers get murdered in both trades.

Pelican Peach Pen 01-30-2009 02:47 PM

Knowing that you might send Whitney back to the East is MORE than enough reason to say HELL NO!

I like Cole and wouldn't mind a deal for him, but definitely not this one or anyone that would eventually help Boston.

JTG 01-30-2009 03:20 PM

Pens take their ball and go home.

vcx* 01-30-2009 03:35 PM

Whitney is worth more than a UFA and a struggling player and prospect. Pass from the Pens. While on a bad foot he put up 40pts, he is starting to look good again with finding his "game legs" from a long layoff and surgery.