HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Trade for a Center? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=602033)

Clumsyhab 02-01-2009 04:55 PM

Trade for a Center?

Now that Lang is out for the season, is he still on the cap space? If not, we might have to go after an experimented Centreman that would be UFA at the end of the season. Anyone on the market? If he's still on the cap, we would have to trade an overpaid forward for an overpaid centreman. Would you trade Kovy straight up for Fedorov? I know Caps want to trade Nylander, but no one wants him so they might have to trade a player like Fedorov. However, he's often injured, so I guess that might be a little bit too risky.

JHabs 02-01-2009 04:57 PM

Now that we are relying on our Captain who can be injured again, and a failing at life Center Pleks. I think its time to address the biggest hole in our lineup. CENTER. Go for friggn Lecavalier, or Kopitar, or someone to plug that hole up.

NewHabsEra* 02-01-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarfangor (Post 17665334)
Now that we are relying on our Captain who can be injured again, and a failing at life Center Pleks. I think its time to address the biggest hole in our lineup. CENTER. Go for friggn Lecavalier, or Kopitar, or someone to plug that hole up.

did you see Kopitar play this year?

Erika 02-01-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarfangor (Post 17665334)

If only the Habs took Anze Kopitar instead of Carey Price... :(

:teach:

JHabs 02-01-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsEra (Post 17665359)
did you see Kopitar play this year?

Negatory, couldn't be too bad.

Andy 02-01-2009 05:01 PM

Arnott

Phil Parent 02-01-2009 05:01 PM

Bob could always try to dig Modano out of Dallas...Modano knows Gainey and Carbo well. They won together.

I'd love Modano as a Hab, if only for the rest of the season. He and Nieuwendyk are my favorite non Habs in my years as a fan.

But chances are slim to none of that happening. Modano has his cup ring already and it's so rare somebody plays their whole career on the same team, I think he'll want to retire a Star.

JAVO16 02-01-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn (Post 17665362)

Can you think before you post sometimes ?

Iwishihadacup 02-01-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn (Post 17665362)

yeah... and we would have asked ourselves if we play huet or Halak today

GoodKiwi 02-01-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Parent (Post 17665404)
Bob could always try to dig Modano out of Dallas...Modano knows Gainey and Carbo well. They won together.

I'd love Modano as a Hab, if only for the rest of the season. He and Nieuwendyk are my favorite non Habs in my years as a fan.

But chances are slim to none of that happening. Modano has his cup ring already and it's so rare somebody plays their whole career on the same team, I think he'll want to retire a Star.

With Dallas making a playoff push recently and their other leaders out (Zubov, Morrow) I do not see any trade for Modano happening.

JHabs 02-01-2009 05:06 PM

One thing is for sure. Now every team knows we need a C to compete at the playoffs, and we need a D depending on how good the C is. So we can rule out drafting a first rounder this year.

Eric Staal, Anze Kopitar, Vincent Lecavalier, Jordan Staal, Brad Richards if need be, Jeff Carter, anyone like this would solve our C problem for years, and potentially help ignore the D problem. But one thing is certain, we are so royally ****ed that we might actually get Tavares.

Chris Cutter 02-01-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koseegin (Post 17665403)
Arnott

GFT, I don't think he would cost that much.

Hannibal 02-01-2009 05:09 PM

It's official, Lang out for the rest of the season? :(

Patrice Brisebois 02-01-2009 05:13 PM

Bryan Smolinski is available :sarcasm:

Analyzer 02-01-2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Cutter (Post 17665544)
GFT, I don't think he would cost that much.

Probably more than you think. Nashville doesn't score much, so they need him.

Clumsyhab 02-01-2009 05:15 PM

Can anyone confirm if Lang salary will still be counted on our cap space?

7th Player 02-01-2009 05:17 PM

SUNDIN :sarcasm:

Originalsix 02-01-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarfangor (Post 17665503)
One thing is for sure. Now every team knows we need a C to compete at the playoffs, and we need a D depending on how good the C is. So we can rule out drafting a first rounder this year.

Eric Staal, Anze Kopitar, Vincent Lecavalier, Jordan Staal, Brad Richards if need be, Jeff Carter, anyone like this would solve our C problem for years, and potentially help ignore the D problem. But one thing is certain, we are so royally ****ed that we might actually get Tavares.

You know, that wouldn't be so bad, any other year. However it's the 100 year anniversary, I really don't want to go out like this. :(

GoodKiwi 02-01-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clumsyhab (Post 17665649)
Can anyone confirm if Lang salary will still be counted on our cap space?

It will, but we can exceed it by the same amount.

m00ks 02-01-2009 05:17 PM

No. Trade for a D-man. Get someone on that point on that PP and get that ripping again. It's up to the forwards to make something happen.

Originalsix 02-01-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m00ks (Post 17665705)
No. Trade for a D-man. Get someone on that point on that PP and get that ripping again. It's up to the forwards to make something happen.

Totally agree. We're in dire need of a Dman with a decent shot and PP presence!

CanadienErrant* 02-01-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois (Post 17665606)
Bryan Smolinski is available :sarcasm:

Martin Lapointe and Yannick Perreault too...

paulster2626 02-01-2009 05:21 PM

What, nobody has mentioned Grabovski?

kidding...kidding.

Hannibal 02-01-2009 05:26 PM

Forget about a fourth d-man, we can't go with Koivu-Plek-Lapierre-Begin/Chip in the playoff! We need to trade for a good center man!

C-A-P-S 02-01-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clumsyhab (Post 17665309)
Now that Lang is out for the season, is he still on the cap space? If not, we might have to go after an experimented Centreman that would be UFA at the end of the season. Anyone on the market? If he's still on the cap, we would have to trade an overpaid forward for an overpaid centreman. Would you trade Kovy straight up for Fedorov? I know Caps want to trade Nylander, but no one wants him so they might have to trade a player like Fedorov. However, he's often injured, so I guess that might be a little bit too risky.

Sorry to hear about Langer.

As for Nylander/Fedorov...Fedorov is not going to be traded. He is the 1st/2nd line center for the Caps along with Backstrom.

If any center is available from the Caps it will be Nylander. Yeah he has a big contract, but the guy is stuck in the wrong system and not being given much of an opportunity to skate with decent offensive wingers nor is he given any PP time- hence the drop in production. IMHO His poor showing this year has more to do with where he is on the depth chart vs. his ability to be productive.