HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   System...what System? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=602103)

Nashy 02-01-2009 09:33 PM

System...what System?

Was reading Koivu's post-game interview;

"It was a pretty even game for both sides for the whole 60 minutes, but I think a lesson that we got today was the way they played defensively and the way they play a system," Montreal captain Saku Koivu said.

It got me thinking, Boston plays a system, no big surprise there,

but what exactly is Montreal's system?

speed11 02-01-2009 09:36 PM

our system is to "adapt" to what the other team is doing, which is just bone-headed...

PyrettaBlaze 02-01-2009 09:37 PM

Dump, chase, miss the puck. Dump, chase, weak shot on goal. Repeat for 60 minutes.

Nitehowl 02-01-2009 09:37 PM

Carbo's system??

from Timo on H/IO ::::::>

I don't think many could accurately point what system carbo's trying to have his team play. In either case it's not working all that great. One thing good coaches are able to do is to design a system that is a) enables team to compete and win b) is bought into by the team because it properly exploits available set of skills on the team. Of course, little adjustments here and there are made to address missing pieces.

I think this is a great point. A good coach designs a system to best utilize the talent he is given by the GM. Look at the difference SUTTER has made in NJ and DeBoer in FLORIDA and JULIEN in BOS and McLellan in SJ and Boudreau in WASH and Queneville in CHI... the list goes on and on....Look at the improvement of these teams when a new coach took over. Yes you can say "look at what Carbo did last year" but really was there much of a system or did the PP and some hot goaltending carry the team

Discuss..........:D

FlyingKostitsyn 02-01-2009 09:38 PM

It seems to me the only way this team can get scoring chances is by capitalizing on errors from the opposing team. They can't get the puck in the zone without giving it away if their lives depended on it. Its either "dump the puck without hustling to get it back" or "weak deke turning the puck to the other team" or finally "deke then weak pass turning the puck away". Whenever we get it deep in the zone, a pass to our mighty defence ensues and they shoot it at the opponents pass.

evilstanley 02-01-2009 09:38 PM

yeah been dumping and chasing for 15+ years.

that CAN work, but when the team is playing half-assed and not hustling, its just like turning the puck over...

Myron Gaines* 02-01-2009 09:39 PM

You can say what type of game each team preconises due to the plays they execute the most, but you can't really decipher completely a team's system. If you do, you'd win all games vs that team.

We play a game based on speed, work ethic, determination and character.

One of those thing misses in a game and we lose.

tiredman 02-01-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashy (Post 17668892)
Was reading Koivu's post-game interview;

"It was a pretty even game for both sides for the whole 60 minutes, but I think a lesson that we got today was the way they played defensively and the way they play a system," Montreal captain Saku Koivu said.

It got me thinking, Boston plays a system, no big surprise there,

but what exactly is Montreal's system?

that's easy to describe.

1. don't do anything stupid that could lead to a goal for the other team
2. the forwards must come back to the defensive zone to help the dmans
3. all players must display a good effort everytime they are on the ice

Whitesnake 02-01-2009 09:41 PM

Puck IN the net...if can't happen, puck BEHIND the net....and change.....

googlymoogly 02-01-2009 09:41 PM

Clear the puck up the middle but only attack and shoot the puck from the boards.

Never call a time out unless the President of US and Russia contact each other on the red phone about global nuclear war. In this situation call a time out to tell the players don't panic A Kostitsyn is already bald therefore radiation proof:laugh:

Le Tricolore 02-01-2009 09:42 PM

dump and wait.

Whitesnake 02-01-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 17669057)
dump and wait.

Hey You! Go back in the Super Bowl thread....Cards need you...:D

Vasculio 02-01-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googlymoogly (Post 17669030)
Clear the puck up the middle but only attack and shoot the puck from the boards.

Never call a time out unless the President of US and Russia contact each other on the red phone about global nuclear war. In this situation call a time out to tell the players don't panic A Kostitsyn is already bald therefore radiation proof:laugh:

I was actually surprised to see the timeout that Carbo called... was wondering what happened, but the players too musta been surprised, cause that didn't work... :sarcasm:

Fire Brunet* 02-01-2009 09:46 PM

dump and stick as close to the boards as you can

sheed36 02-01-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze (Post 17668949)
Dump, chase, miss the puck. Dump, chase, weak shot on goal. Repeat for 60 minutes.

Don't forget skating around the perimeter and not going to the net...

googlymoogly 02-01-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitehowl (Post 17668954)
from Timo on H/IO ::::::>

I don't think many could accurately point what system carbo's trying to have his team play. In either case it's not working all that great. One thing good coaches are able to do is to design a system that is a) enables team to compete and win b) is bought into by the team because it properly exploits available set of skills on the team. Of course, little adjustments here and there are made to address missing pieces.

I think this is a great point. A good coach designs a system to best utilize the talent he is given by the GM. Look at the difference SUTTER has made in NJ and DeBoer in FLORIDA and JULIEN in BOS and McLellan in SJ and Boudreau in WASH and Queneville in CHI... the list goes on and on....Look at the improvement of these teams when a new coach took over. Yes you can say "look at what Carbo did last year" but really was there much of a system or did the PP and some hot goaltending carry the team

Discuss..........:D

I'll just say it, He's definitely not Scotty Bowman:sarcasm:

Le Tricolore 02-01-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 17669073)
Hey You! Go back in the Super Bowl thread....Cards need you...:D

aye aye, sir!

googlymoogly 02-01-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pazuzu (Post 17669093)
I was actually surprised to see the timeout that Carbo called... was wondering what happened, but the players too musta been surprised, cause that didn't work... :sarcasm:

They were terrified that we were at nuclear Defcon 1. Carbo then told them it was a false alert but liked the response time back to the bench.

Turtleneck Plek 02-01-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed11 (Post 17668939)
our system is to "adapt" to what the other team is doing, which is just bone-headed...

That.

And sticking to the boards, so hits hurt less.

The n00b King * 02-01-2009 09:52 PM

Dump, look at the puck, go back to retrieve cleared puck, dump, play some perimeter hockey while generating few chances, perhaps draw a penalty, dump, chase, watch team clear, dump, try to chase, take penalty, watch puck enter our net, think happy thoughts, dump, do nothing, dump, retrieve puck, dangle far too much, lose puck, get hemmed in d-zone, try frantically to dump the puck out...

Whitesnake 02-01-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed11 (Post 17668939)

We actually have a winner here.

googlymoogly 02-01-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akost (Post 17669314)
That.

And sticking to the boards, so hits hurt less.

I heard Carbo is suspending Lang for the season and Lats a month for not listening. :cry: It really isn't funny:(

Turtleneck Plek 02-01-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googlymoogly (Post 17669363)
I heard Carbo is suspending Lang for the season and Lats a month for not listening. :cry: It really isn't funny:(

So Bruins fans were right??

They really were faking the injuries?

:sarcasm:

Haddock 02-01-2009 10:01 PM

I really don't know enough about coaching strategy to comment on Carbo's work but I know just enough to see that a team can't compete properly when many players, important players, are taking nights off.

Stradale 02-01-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 17669057)
dumb and wait.

Fixed