HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What does Gainey do Now? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=602132)

38 cupless years* 02-01-2009 10:22 PM

What does Gainey do Now?

Team is struggling, lost our best center for the year, lats is out for a month, tanguay won't be back for several weeks (apparently)...

What will Gainey do to spark plug this team? We're going on a brutal road trip at a time when we're playing like junk away from home...
Gainey has to do something and fast. We can't afford to sit and wait for the deadline and be outbid again for our potential 'target' acquisitions.

Don't make a move for the sake of making a move, but hurry the hell up in your 'assessment' of the team and make this team better. the trade rumors and the media are a sandstorm and obviously on the minds of all the affected players....make a move, make a statement and then give the guys an assurance about their future with the team. He works in such ambiguity that it makes me go crazy.

Bah, what do you guys think the team should do? Ride it out so we end up like the Canucks or be aggressive and save the season from a failure of epic proportions?

Stradale 02-01-2009 10:24 PM

He can start by waking up from his hibernation.

JHabs 02-01-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 38 cupless years (Post 17671121)
Team is struggling, lost our best center for the year, lats is out for a month, tanguay won't be back for several weeks (apparently)...

What will Gainey do to spark plug this team? We're going on a brutal road trip at a time when we're playing like junk away from home...
Gainey has to do something and fast. We can't afford to sit and wait for the deadline and be outbid again for our potential 'target' acquisitions.

Don't make a move for the sake of making a move, but hurry the hell up in your 'assessment' of the team and make this team better. the trade rumors and the media are a sandstorm and obviously on the minds of all the affected players....make a move, make a statement and then give the guys an assurance about their future with the team. He works in such ambiguity that it makes me go crazy.

Bah, what do you guys think the team should do? Ride it out so we end up like the Canucks or be aggressive and save the season from a failure of epic proportions?

I believe this is where we are headed. We went from having an OK season with the 100th year, Kovy being the Cinderella of the ASG, and now things have taken a turn for the worst and we are in a quick downward spiral. Ask yourself this....WHO IN THE HELL WOULD WANT TO TRADE WITH US? We can't give up Markov, Komi, Price, Andrei and Sergei are nearly untouchable...Lats, Tangs, Langs, Laraque, Dandenoooo, Gorges are injured. What do we have left? D'Ago, Patches, Koivu, Kovy, O'Byrne, Hammer, Higgins, Pleks. I mean theres not much to be had. You can't throw in Pleks, Higgins, and Fischer and hope to land Lecavalier, it just doesn't work. SO I say we ride the Tiger, cuz we can see his stripes but we know hes clean. Meaning we know whats ahead, but we don't waste our assets away. We went from looking great in depth to be ****ed over by injuries all year long. Maybe next year the Kostitsyns will have a break out year. I think you either make a push for a bonefide franchise player/impact player or don't do anything at all and fish for picks later.

38 cupless years* 02-01-2009 10:29 PM

the team needs a definite shot in the arm, losing 2 players that have been performing well for us is going to deflate the team even more when they're in a time of struggle and question marks.

and that Guy guy, needs to stop juggling the lines and start putting a consistent roster on the ice so this team can finally have some cohesion as opposed to the game of roulette he plays with the lines for every game.

RE-HABS 02-01-2009 10:30 PM

I think we need to get that Dman and Offensive Power forward, who do we get and what do we give up?

Not sure, but I have a funny feeling we maybe shedding ourselves of a player like Kovalev in a deal to get some help.

JHabs 02-01-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS (Post 17671273)
I think we need to get that Dman and Offensive Power forward, who do we get and what do we give up?

Not sure, but I have a funny feeling we maybe shedding ourselves of a player like Kovalev in a deal to get some help.

Eric Staal and Thomas Kaberle or Bouwmeester.

This would put us back in the race but you can bet your ass that we would loose Sergei/Andrei, PK, McDonagh, 2 1sts, Pleks, O'Byrne, Higgins+

gusfring 02-01-2009 10:37 PM

Probably very little.

LyleOdelein 02-01-2009 10:38 PM

What does Gainey do now?

Drink. A lot.

RE-HABS 02-01-2009 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarfangor (Post 17671360)
Eric Staal and Thomas Kaberle or Bouwmeester.

This would put us back in the race but you can bet your ass that we would loose Sergei/Andrei, PK, McDonagh, 2 1sts, Pleks, O'Byrne, Higgins+

Jordan Staal maybe, Eric ain't available.

Kaberle, he is hurt and is off the radar and market right now.

Bouwmeester? I would love, but only if we can re-sign.

Staal could be had and would be worth the price with his recent re-signing and size and skill, he would go back to centre and be our #1 asap.

Montreal Typical 02-01-2009 10:39 PM

Probably nothing, as usual.

Belso 02-01-2009 10:40 PM

Like I already mentioned, Bob will re-evaluate how far the Habs can go with this team in the play-offs, how far they can go with trades and if that does not equal to the final round, stick with the team that have now and keep their prospects for next season.

No point trading for a renter if they can barely get out of the second round. They tried to aim on having a great team for the play-offs, but with a sub-par Power Play, an inconsistent Kovy, A Ksotitsyn, Plekanec, and a now the loss of lang, they might as well aim for next year..

By the time play-off comes, Most players like Tangauy, Dandenault, Latendresse and BGL will probably be back unless there are still more injuries.. If the Habs can get last seasons best trio to play like last season, they still have a shot at the cup without Lang...

Souray44 02-01-2009 10:40 PM

He can lobby the league to make us never play Boston again for starters. Not only do they beat us but we seem to have a key injury after every game against them now.

I miss the old days. Our punching bag learned how to punch back.

prevail 02-01-2009 10:40 PM

I think he'll get someone, either by calling someone up or making a very small deal for a F veteran. He'll assess his cap situation and start making calls out, because without Lang, we do have a key part of our veterancy missing and he cannot leave it as is.

Either way, nothing big will happen too soon. Give the man some time and let him look over HIS situation, for HIS job.

JHabs 02-01-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS (Post 17671430)
Jordan Staal maybe, Eric ain't available.

Kaberle, he is hurt and is off the radar and market right now.

Bouwmeester? I would love, but only if we can re-sign.

Staal could be had and would be worth the price with his recent re-signing and size and skill, he would go back to centre and be our #1 asap.

We also thought Vinny wasn't available. I still believe he is. Everyone has their price.

As for Jordan I love that kid, I was always a big fan.

J.Staal+Bouwmeester would definately leave u with parting ways with: 1-2 1sts, Pleks, Higgins, Fischer, Possibly PK, McDonagh, O'Byrne, Henry.
Everyone knows we are down on the floor rolling around holding our groin, and they will force us to overpay.

Westcoasthabsfan 02-01-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railman (Post 17671445)

agree.....

38 cupless years* 02-01-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarfangor (Post 17671234)
I believe this is where we are headed. We went from having an OK season with the 100th year, Kovy being the Cinderella of the ASG, and now things have taken a turn for the worst and we are in a quick downward spiral.

True, and the guy in your avatar has been doing okay but hasn't been saving our bacon during times of great need. Elite goalies steal games from time to time, and PRice hasn't done that. Not blaming the kid, but it would be nice if a big game from him can help rally the troops and make the team think positively again. We've seen the same lethargic display from this team for a while and it has to change.

Quote:

Ask yourself this....WHO IN THE HELL WOULD WANT TO TRADE WITH US? We can't give up Markov, Komi, Price, Andrei and Sergei are nearly untouchable...Lats, Tangs, Langs, Laraque, Dandenoooo, Gorges are injured. What do we have left? D'Ago, Patches, Koivu, Kovy, O'Byrne, Hammer, Higgins, Pleks.

Well i haven't been able to make phone calls to other teams and see what's available and what isn't...but i'm sure there are assets on other teams that can make OUR team better by dealing some of the guys you just mentioned (plus more).

Quote:

I mean theres not much to be had. You can't throw in Pleks, Higgins, and Fischer and hope to land Lecavalier, it just doesn't work.

Well Vinny is the big name player, but there are other players that should be available and that won't cost an arm and a leg. I don't want to throw out any names...but we do have a plethora of assets. If the idea was to make a serious run for the cup this year, moves have to be made.

Quote:

SO I say we ride the Tiger, cuz we can see his stripes but we know hes clean. Meaning we know whats ahead, but we don't waste our assets away. We went from looking great in depth to be ****ed over by injuries all year long. Maybe next year the Kostitsyns will have a break out year. I think you either make a push for a bonefide franchise player/impact player or don't do anything at all and fish for picks later.

that's fair, go big or go home....
i would like to get a guy like bouwmeester, but the panthers are in a push for the playoffs too. but we'll see what happens, i just want to see Gainey do something big...because we're really struggling now...a call up won't help in my opinion.

i'm not ready to give up on this season...not one bit and i don't want to talk about next season until we're completely out.

HabGoblin 02-01-2009 10:45 PM

Doug Weight.

Habsfan2992 02-01-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

I believe this is where we are headed. We went from having an OK season with the 100th year, Kovy being the Cinderella of the ASG, and now things have taken a turn for the worst and we are in a quick downward spiral. Ask yourself this....WHO IN THE HELL WOULD WANT TO TRADE WITH US? We can't give up Markov, Komi, Price, Andrei and Sergei are nearly untouchable...Lats, Tangs, Langs, Laraque, Dandenoooo, Gorges are injured. What do we have left? D'Ago, Patches, Koivu, Kovy, O'Byrne, Hammer, Higgins, Pleks. I mean theres not much to be had. You can't throw in Pleks, Higgins, and Fischer and hope to land Lecavalier, it just doesn't work. SO I say we ride the Tiger, cuz we can see his stripes but we know hes clean. Meaning we know whats ahead, but we don't waste our assets away. We went from looking great in depth to be ****ed over by injuries all year long. Maybe next year the Kostitsyns will have a break out year. I think you either make a push for a bonefide franchise player/impact player or don't do anything at all and fish for picks later.

"ride the Tiger, cuz we can see his stripes but we know hes clean"
Pretty bad when you use an Dio lyric as an analogy that makes no sense in your comment. ;) Good band though ;)

CPrice 02-01-2009 10:48 PM

Well Im sure he'll assess the team over the next couple of games and see where we are at. Then he probably will still do nothing.

WeThreeKings 02-01-2009 10:49 PM

He's gonna do what us fans should do. Sit back and hope for a surprise. We're just simply not contenders like we though. Deal. With. It.

Pr3Va1L 02-01-2009 10:50 PM

At this point, I'd shop Kovalev.

He's making the team worse instead of better right now, and he is at least worth something.

What do you reckon Kovy+ could get us?

CPrice 02-01-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 17671633)
He's gonna do what us fans should do. Sit back and hope for a surprise. We're just simply not contenders like we though. Deal. With. It.

I'm not sure I ever thought we were true contenders. I was really optimistic though looking at that lineup before the season started, but after a few games I didn't see the same thing I thought I would like 90% of the people on these boards. That was with a crazy start as well.

Belso 02-01-2009 10:52 PM

Just to add, The Habs really pulled to have an A team for the centennial, but let's be honest, it hasn't been easy with injuries to Price, Saku, Tanguay, Higgins, Dandenault, A. Kostitsyn and BGL. Yet they are still 2nd in the NE division. If everyone is health by the start of the play-offs, except maybe Lang and can at least play motivated until the end of the season, it's still a better team then last year considering the experience gained by the younger players.

Let's just hope that that Kovy, Plecky and Kosty start playing to their potential and pray the Habs start the play-offs with everyone ok except again for Lang.

38 cupless years* 02-01-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railman (Post 17671445)

and that's what makes me so mad. he talks a game during these times, but rarely has anything to show for it.

Getting tang and lang were good acquisitions...but he has had enough time to view the team and the direction that they're going. If he is serious about the cup, he has to start getting aggressive. He has a big ace in the hole with Trevor Timmins, who will give him a seemingly never ending supply of quality young talent...so why does he seem so reluctant on dealing them when he knows full well that Timmins will only give him more in a few months?

JHabs 02-01-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NhlGuy (Post 17671592)
"ride the Tiger, cuz we can see his stripes but we know hes clean"
Pretty bad when you use an Dio lyric as an analogy that makes no sense in your comment. ;) Good band though ;)

I just watched Tenacious D 3 times over the weekend gimme a break lol

"Common Kage now its time to blow doors down! I hear ya Jables now its time to blow doors down!:yo:"

Common Bob now its time to Blow doors Down! I hear ya Habs now its time to blow doors DOWN! :yo: