HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Prospect Info: Evgeny Grachev Interview (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=602752)

Inferno 02-03-2009 01:24 PM

Evgeny Grachev Interview

Evgeny has agreed to do an interview with my site. If you have any questions you want me to ask him, please post em here or PM them to me.

Ive only got a few days to get them together.

thanks all!

BrooklynRangersFan 02-03-2009 01:36 PM

I've got a couple:

Is there an NHL player - past or present - whose game he thinks his most resembles?

Where does he expect to play next year? Back in Juniors, in HFD or with the big club?

silverfish 02-03-2009 01:39 PM

Ask him if he dreams about putting up 40-40 on a line with Nicky Z and AA :nod:

Fireonk 02-03-2009 01:42 PM

What part of his game needs the most work before making a jump to the NHL?

Out of the current Rangers, which players does he think he would work well with?

What are his offseason plans?

irishlaxburger2 02-03-2009 01:43 PM

Ask him about the contrasting styles of Russia/Eastern Europe and North American hockey. It's a widely discussed topic in the hockey world, but I've rarely heard a Russian player speak about it in depth. How has the Russian style helped him in North America? How is he changing as a player to fit into North American hockey? Etc.

DontStepanMe 02-03-2009 01:48 PM

Ask him which position he prefers the most. Center or LW?

hlundqvist30* 02-03-2009 01:50 PM

Not that I'm questioning your abilities by any means, as I think you are very knowledgeable and an intuitive thinker. That said, I'm just speaking from a general standpoint that you should make the best of this and ask some truly insightful questions and not a bunch of cliche crap that goes on during interviews. It pains me to watch an interview go on in which half of the questions you know exactly how it's going to be answered. This is potentially an amazing thing for you, Inferno. Make sure you make the best of such a wonderful opportunity!

1. What are his thoughts on potentially converting to the wing in the NHL?

2. What was his reaction to dropping to the 3rd round? Was he upset because of it? Did it motivate him?

3. Is the fear involved with a lack of a Russian Transfer Agreement overblown? Is there actually a significant number of players that seriously contemplate staying in Europe?

Lastly, just make sure he knows that the fans realize how well he is doing and think he is going to be a force for this team in a few years. It truly is unbelievable what he has done so far this year.

Just wondering, but how did you get this connection to get an interview with him? Do you have a connection with Brampton or the Rangers? Thanks for all of this, Inferno.

Inferno 02-03-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 17697077)
Not that I'm questioning your abilities by any means, as I think you are very knowledgeable and an intuitive thinker. That said, I'm just speaking from a general standpoint that you should make the best of this and ask some truly insightful questions and not a bunch of cliche crap that goes on during interviews. It pains me to watch an interview go on in which half of the questions you know exactly how it's going to be answered. This is potentially an amazing thing for you, Inferno. Make sure you make the best of such a wonderful opportunity!

1. What are his thoughts on potentially converting to the wing in the NHL?

2. What was his reaction to dropping to the 3rd round? Was he upset because of it? Did it motivate him?

3. Is the fear involved with a lack of a Russian Transfer Agreement overblown? Is there actually a significant number of players that seriously contemplate staying in Europe?

Lastly, just make sure he knows that the fans realize how well he is doing and think he is going to be a force for this team in a few years. It truly is unbelievable what he has done so far this year.

Just wondering, but how did you get this connection to get an interview with him? Do you have a connection with Brampton or the Rangers? Thanks for all of this, Inferno.

I promised to ask him fan questions, not just an interview by me.

With that siad I do want to touch on Stan Butler, and Alexei Cherepanov with questions ive got ready that im asking myself.

BTW, all questions will be credited to whoever asks them. So if you want to include your real name and location, feel free to.

WhipNash27 02-03-2009 02:11 PM

How does he feel about being drafted to play in New York City where there is a big Russian community and will that help him adapt to being in NYC.

Levitate 02-03-2009 02:15 PM

Ask him if he has thought about using the Rangers training facility this summer to prepare for next year

levski87 02-03-2009 02:16 PM

What does he think of Wade Redden's contract? :P

vipernsx 02-03-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags225 (Post 17697030)
Ask him which position he prefers the most. Center or LW?

Or RW.

These are some things that I'd like to know. Please choose any you'd like to ask.

Does he have a favorite home town team?
Does he ever think about playing in the KHL some day?
Who did he idolize when he was growing up?
What's his take on Russian politics, Putin, Medvedev, Kasparov, etc?
Is his family back in Russia? Does he miss them?
This might be a tad stereotypical but, does he like to play chess?
How many languages does he speak and how long has he known English?
Please thank him for taking time for the fans by doing the QA and his previous blog(s). We look forward to cheering for him.

Does he see himself becoming heavier? What does he think his ideal playing weight will be?

Inferno 02-03-2009 03:38 PM

some good stuff here, keep em coming!

DontStepanMe 02-03-2009 03:50 PM

Ask him his reaction of Cherry's death and if he knew him at all?

we want cup 02-03-2009 03:56 PM

What would it mean to him to win the Stanley Cup?

What motivates him for games?

Why/When did he first start to play?

ThirdEye 02-03-2009 04:01 PM

Ask him whether or not he is intimidated by the potential expectations that he might have to face once he gets here because of his great success thus far in the OHL, and because the Rangers don't have any prominent goal scorers.

wolfgaze 02-03-2009 05:51 PM

Please ask him something about his size and physicality... I'm not sure how to word it but:

Ask him what kind of physical presence he hopes to establish for himself given his size.... How does he plan to use his size to his advantage at the higher levels of competition?

I'm just really curious to hear if his goal is to become a gritty / hard-hitting forward....

Ih8theislanders 02-03-2009 09:15 PM

When does he think he'll be playing for the Rangers?
Danny Melillo
Bronx,NY

I'm here all week.

n8 02-03-2009 09:50 PM

what type of players has he played with (i.e. playmakers, grinders, snipers) and what type of players does he prefer to play with.

what type of players complement his game. what type of players does he have trouble finding chemistry with.

or something along those lines...

also - we noticed from the highlights how much faster, bigger, stronger he looks compared to the competition in the OHL. Does he do anything special to physically and mentally prepare for the higher speed levels that he will find in each higher level (AHL, NHL) of play?

also also - What part of his game has the Battalion coach helped him improve the most? Did he come into the season with certain goals (i.e. improve skating, get stronger) and how does he feel about his progress?

Inferno 02-04-2009 01:15 AM

btw, just for the record, if you see a question that you dont get credit for but it looks like its from me, its because its a question i already had written down that i was going to ask myself.

Leslie Treff 02-04-2009 04:56 AM

Inferno, my advice, and I have done many of these, is to have some questions in mind and then go with what develops during the interview. You need to try and make a connection with the player you are talking to. Taking cues from facial expressions, having eye contact and laughing together can make an interviewee connect with you more and give you a good interview.

Don't have a list and just fire away, because you can miss some interview thread that will be interesting to your readers. Additionally, some of the questions listed above will bring an abrupt end to the interview--the idea is to bring the player alive to your readers, not to smoke out some juicy detail which may forever foreclose you from getting another interview with that player or his team.

Just try to relax and connect with the guy. Be human and remember that he is too. Good luck!

z1co80 02-04-2009 06:54 AM

Ask him if something like the Cherepanov tragedy pushes him on to be the best player he can be, being that it shows just how precious and short a professional hockey players career can be, or any athlete.

Or put it in better words:)

Nich 02-04-2009 08:01 AM

ask him if he reads this site.....

and what is his favorite drinking game, beruit (aka the real name of beer pong) or cups?

n8 02-04-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Treff (Post 17714802)
Inferno, my advice, and I have done many of these, is to have some questions in mind and then go with what develops during the interview. You need to try and make a connection with the player you are talking to. Taking cues from facial expressions, having eye contact and laughing together can make an interviewee connect with you more and give you a good interview.

Don't have a list and just fire away, because you can miss some interview thread that will be interesting to your readers. Additionally, some of the questions listed above will bring an abrupt end to the interview--the idea is to bring the player alive to your readers, not to smoke out some juicy detail which may forever foreclose you from getting another interview with that player or his team.

Just try to relax and connect with the guy. Be human and remember that he is too. Good luck!

oh, now I want to know which ones! :naughty:

Inferno 02-04-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Treff (Post 17714802)

its an email interview. the deal is my questions get translated to Russian for him, then he responds, and it gets translated back into english. also im pretty much supposed to hand in all the questions at once, its not a back and forth thing.