HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Those Lines (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=603118)

Kimota 02-04-2009 11:58 AM

Those Lines
 
Watching the game yesterday it hit me in the face that the compostition of the lines may have been as ideal as we've had this season:

Pure offense line with the three Ks
Talent + hardworkers line with Higgins-Saku-D'Agostini
Youth line(Max Pax, Lappy, Sergei)
Pure grinding line that can drop the gloves out of Begin, Kosto, Henry

Is it why we were successful? Suddenly it was like the guys had this incredible chemistry. And it's not hard to see why. Max Pax and Lapierre together especialy it's the sort of thing I saw right away when I saw Max Pac first skated during his first Habs game. There's similtary in term of playing with grit and speed and i'm surprised the coaching didn't put them together before.

zurg999 02-04-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimota (Post 17718224)
Watching the game yesterday it hit me in the face that the compostition of the lines may have been as ideal as we've had this season:

Pure offense line with the three Ks
Talent + hardworkers line with Higgins-Saku-D'Agostini
Youth line(Max Pax, Lappy, Sergei)
Pure grinding line that can drove the gloves out of Begin, Kosto, Henry

Is it why we were successful? Suddenly it was like the guys had this incredible chemistry. And it's not hard to see why. Max Pax and Lapierre together especialy it's the sort of thing I saw right away when I saw Max Pac first skated during his first Habs game. There's similtary in term of playing with grit and speed and i'm surprised the coaching didn't put them together before.

We were successful because:
(a) all players skated
(b) everyone made good, quick decisions with the puck
The lines had little to do with it.

la25ecoupe 02-04-2009 12:12 PM

It's not chemistry.. it's the fact that there's less talent so everyone has to step up their game and stop relying on others to make goals.

IMO.

Kimota 02-04-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanylapep (Post 17718444)
It's not chemistry.. it's the fact that there's less talent so everyone has to step up their game and stop relying on others to make goals.

IMO.

But you have to see that the players together are pretty similar and might have played a part too.

kris 02-04-2009 12:15 PM

Could the Lang injury be a blessing in disguise?

I love Lang as a player, and he was probably our most consistent producing forward. I was pretty worried the loss of him would be huge, when I started thinking...

The team that finished first overall in the East last year didn't have Robert Lang. They displayed a lot of chemistry and speed, and picked up steam as the year went along. The start from last season is sort of like last season - the chemistry didn't really start developing until after the Christmas break. This season, admittedly, they came out very slow after the break, right when things started rolling their way again it seemed.

Last nights game against Pittsburgh was one of the best games I've seen them play since the start of season. Yeah, I know it's only Pittsburgh, but the Habs offense actually seemed like they started to click. It looked dangerous again, and reminded me quite a bit of our offensive success. When this team is on, it's one of the most exciting in the NHL and a lot of that is because of chemistry of guys like Higgins, the Kostitsyns, the young kids that bring a lot of energy. Kovalev is a difference maker when he's on, and last night was one of his better games in a while. Koivu - Higgins are good together, despite what people think. I think the Max's together are a start of something good, and maybe for a long time. Sergei is a nice compliment, if he proves he's ready once again.

One game indication? We'll see. I like the vibe I'm getting though, refer to waffledave's thread about believing and and whatnot.

Ozymandias 02-04-2009 12:18 PM

Yeah I really liked those lines, tho its chitesville that Lang is injured.

I hope those lines remain intact for a while. I feel the Habs will be getting on a roll. I know they have a long period of away games out west coming up, but I get the feeling the players now know that the season is on the line and they might just hang out a lot in that western trip, up the team spirit and chemistry a bit.

marc1337 02-04-2009 12:21 PM

The fact that the fourth line did not play that much is a plus too!:handclap:





About time....

hogtownhabsfan* 02-04-2009 12:30 PM

I liked the lines, but what I hope to see next year (if we don't sign anyone) is:

Kost-Pleks-Kost (lots of speed, lots of skill)
Higgins-Koivu-Latendresse (work it in the O-zone)
Pacioretty-Lapierre-D'Agostini (speed, some skill, effort and 2-way play)
Stewart-Chipchura-Laraque (grinders, energy)

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-O'Byrne
Gorges-Subban(like Pacioretty he will end his first pro year on the big squad)

Price
Halak



I really want to see the kosty bros with pleks. Koivu I see being resigned, and works best with skilled effort guys. And with Kovalev having a mediocre year, being loved here, and considering his age I think he would want to stay, not sure where I'd play him though. This would be if Tanguay and Kovalev are allowed to walk.

Tuggy 02-04-2009 12:36 PM

Lang and Latendresse weren't there to slow them down...

Am I kidding or not...:sarcasm:

Kimota 02-04-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris (Post 17718506)
Could the Lang injury be a blessing in disguise?

I love Lang as a player, and he was probably our most consistent producing forward. I was pretty worried the loss of him would be huge, when I started thinking...

The team that finished first overall in the East last year didn't have Robert Lang. They displayed a lot of chemistry and speed, and picked up steam as the year went along. The start from last season is sort of like last season - the chemistry didn't really start developing until after the Christmas break. This season, admittedly, they came out very slow after the break, right when things started rolling their way again it seemed.

Last nights game against Pittsburgh was one of the best games I've seen them play since the start of season. Yeah, I know it's only Pittsburgh, but the Habs offense actually seemed like they started to click. It looked dangerous again, and reminded me quite a bit of our offensive success. When this team is on, it's one of the most exciting in the NHL and a lot of that is because of chemistry of guys like Higgins, the Kostitsyns, the young kids that bring a lot of energy. Kovalev is a difference maker when he's on, and last night was one of his better games in a while. Koivu - Higgins are good together, despite what people think. I think the Max's together are a start of something good, and maybe for a long time. Sergei is a nice compliment, if he proves he's ready once again.

One game indication? We'll see. I like the vibe I'm getting though, refer to waffledave's thread about believing and and whatnot.

Yea they looked like the Habs from last season against the Pens. Except last year we played about 50 games like this at least. With Lang being injured it goes back to last year we had less talented guys yet it clicked better so I guess there must be a thing about having too much talented softies. Or having three offensive lines not working as an experiment.

11Goat11 02-04-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 17718889)
Lang and Latendresse weren't there to slow them down...

Am I kidding or not...:sarcasm:

I was going to post something like this but was afraid of the backlash. I'd rather have the 2 players in the lineup but the team looked much faster without them. It definitely reminded me of last year. Sure the team seemed to come together and everyone hustled but this is the fastest I have seen them play all year. Co-incidence?

The Russian General 02-04-2009 12:59 PM

It seems we play like this vs teams that doesn't abuse of the trap.

BBrowser 02-04-2009 01:04 PM

Also the pens forecheck sucks. But I thought those lines were great, fast, fun to watch and gritty when needed.

hototogisu 02-04-2009 01:06 PM

Those lines are cryin'
Those lines have seen a lot of loves
But they're never gonna see another one like I had with you

THOSE LINES...OHHHAARRE CRYING....

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imag...chael_cera.jpg

Ozymandias 02-04-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 17719428)
Those lines are cryin'
Those lines have seen a lot of loves
But they're never gonna see another one like I had with you

THOSE LINES...OHHHAARRE CRYING....

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imag...chael_cera.jpg

hey!! don't trivialize The guess who!!!!! :rant:

zx81 02-04-2009 01:27 PM

Sheesh it was one freaking game against Pittsburgh...a team that can almost be compared to Ottawa right now.

One game and everyone goes crazy ...
wow

The real test will be the upcoming trip.
Until then calm down .

Domenic 02-04-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBrowser (Post 17719385)
Also the pens forecheck sucks. But I thought those lines were great, fast, fun to watch and gritty when needed.

Biggest difference was having the 3rd (and sometimes 4th) man forechecking. Habs played a boring 1-4 against Boston and didn't work. I'm sure Kovalev mentioned to Carbo that the team played way too defensive this season and the switch showed.

Myron Gaines* 02-04-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zx81 (Post 17719802)
Sheesh it was one freaking game against Pittsburgh...a team that can almost be compared to Ottawa right now.

One game and everyone goes crazy ...
wow

The real test will be the upcoming trip.
Until then calm down .

+1...

zx81 02-04-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by querido17 (Post 17719280)
It seems we play like this vs teams that doesn't abuse of the trap.

Exactly.

Pittsburgh is a team we can beat.
1.They don't play the trap.
2.They don't hit much.
3.They don't play dump and chase.

Perfect fit for our style.

I don't understand all the excitation this win brought here.

Tuggy 02-04-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zx81 (Post 17719849)
Exactly.

Pittsburgh is a team we can beat.
1.They don't play the trap.
2.They don't hit much.
3.They don't play dump and chase.

Perfect fit for our style.

I don't understand all the excitation this win brought here.

It's better than losing.

Ozymandias 02-04-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zx81 (Post 17719802)
Sheesh it was one freaking game against Pittsburgh...a team that can almost be compared to Ottawa right now.

One game and everyone goes crazy ...
wow

The real test will be the upcoming trip.
Until then calm down .

Nobody is going crazy here besides you. You are the one exagerating other people's comments.

This is not pre-2007-2008... this team has a lot of talent, and those who go crazy now are the ones who see a losing streak as an imminent sign that everything will fall apart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zx81 (Post 17719849)
Exactly.

Pittsburgh is a team we can beat.
1.They don't play the trap.
2.They don't hit much.
3.They don't play dump and chase.

Perfect fit for our style.

I don't understand all the excitation this win brought here.

yeah, except Philly did all all those things and yet we dominated them this season. It has nothing to do with how the opposing team was playing. It has all to do with the desire to win of our own team.

11Goat11 02-04-2009 01:42 PM

Not to mention the Habs couldn't beat Atlanta, Tampa, and Florida, in the same 2 weeks. It is nice to see the team play well against lesser teams as they always have our number.

Santino 02-04-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zx81 (Post 17719849)
Exactly.

Pittsburgh is a team we can beat.
1.They don't play the trap.
2.They don't hit much.
3.They don't play dump and chase.

Perfect fit for our style.

I don't understand all the excitation this win brought here.

excuse us FANS for being happy that our team played well :handclap:

Puckhead58* 02-04-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zurg999 (Post 17718425)
We were successful because:
(a) all players skated
(b) everyone made good, quick decisions with the puck
The lines had little to do with it.


EXACTLY!!!!!

Last nights game was the first game in a long time where I seen EVERYBODY skate hard, win races for the puck, battle in the corners, skate hard to the net and make good quick decision everytime we had the puck. It was also the first game where I seen everybody make good passes right on the sticks. Last night was the best game I seen this year, as far as everybody playing hard, skating hard and out-working the other team.

Bullsmith 02-04-2009 01:58 PM

Pittsburgh brought out the best in Montreal, but lots of teams don't. Hard to really judge the lines, although Kovy looked comfortable with Pleks and AK and Koivu has simply proven that he can play with anyone and certainly brings out the best in Higgins.

One thing that really stuck out to me is how well Pax and Lapierre fit together. Pax pretty much has Lats' size, at least he was easily playing a comparable physical role, but his speed is a huge asset as he can keep up with Lapierre where Latendresse simply can't. Latendresse has better hands but Lapierre can't make a decent pass anyway, so again I found Pax the better fit. I could see those two playing together for years. With the right RW, they could be a line that can play against anyone.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.