HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   GDT: Los Angeles Kings @ Washington Caps 2/5/09 4:00 pm pst (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=603316)

KingsRule 02-04-2009 10:02 PM

Los Angeles Kings @ Washington Caps 2/5/09 4:00 pm pst

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...t_Ruler/LA.png
Los Angeles Kings @ Washington Capitals
Thursday February 5TH, 2009 4 PM pst
TV: CSN (DC) HD local FSW away Radio: KTLK1150

http://cdn.nhl.com/kings/images/head...iew_515x50.gif
Quote:

No player has scored more goals than Alex Ovechkin since the Russian star entered the league in 2005. The Los Angeles Kings, however, are one of two teams that have managed to keep him in check.

Ovechkin leads a Washington Capitals team seeking its fourth straight win as it faces the Kings on Thursday night.

Ovechkin made an immediate impact as a rookie in 2005-06 with 52 goals, and has found the back of the net 199 times in his career. That tops the player with the second-most goals during that period, Atlanta's Ilya Kovalchuk, by 32.

The reigning Hart Trophy winner's league-leading 36 goals have helped keep Washington (33-15-4) in first place in the Southeast Division this season. It's been a strong follow-up to an outstanding 2007-08, when he became the first player to score 60 in a season since Mario Lemieux in 1996.

Ovechkin has failed to record a goal against only San Jose and Los Angeles (21-21-7). He has four assists in three games versus the Kings.

The Capitals could have used some goals from Ovechkin in their first matchup with the Kings this season, a 5-2 loss at Los Angeles on Nov. 20.

Ovechkin has five goals in his last two home games, but did not record one in a 5-2 victory over New Jersey on Tuesday night. He had two assists in a game in which Michael Nylander had two goals as Washington snapped the Devils' season-high eight-game winning streak.

The victory was the Caps' third straight after losing two in a row.

Nylander notched his first multi-goal game since Dec. 29, 2007. The veteran center has three goals and an assist in his last four games.

"He doesn't like to shoot," Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau said. "We have a few of those guys, and then we have one guy (Ovechkin) who shoots every chance he gets. He makes up for those guys."

Coaches have urged Nylander to shoot more throughout his 14 seasons in the NHL, but he sees himself more as a passer.

"I should have done that for many years," said Nylander, who has 207 goals. "It's good when you are shooting to see the puck go in."

Nylander has seven goals on the season after setting a career high with 26 for the New York Rangers in 2006-07. He has not scored in 10 straight games against the Kings.

Mike Green was held off the scoresheet in his only contest against Los Angeles, but has four goals and five assists in his last four games overall. He leads NHL defenseman in goals with 16.

Green is part of a Capitals attack that has scored 16 goals during its three-game run.

Los Angeles got just enough scoring to pick up its first win on a five-game road trip, beating Ottawa 1-0 on Tuesday night. The Kings lost the trip opener 4-3 to Montreal on Saturday night, but that was the only defeat they've suffered in their last five games.

Los Angeles, which hasn't made the playoffs since 2002, remains in the hunt in the Western Conference.

"We have a really young hockey club. It's really important that we review, reassess and evaluate our play on a daily basis," Kings coach Terry Murray said. "That's the way we have to approach things if we want to be successful."

Los Angeles continues to get strong play from rookie Jonathan Quick, who made 29 saves against the Senators for his third shutout of the season. He's won four of his last five starts and has a 2.36 goals-against average in 2008-09.

Quick has been splitting time with Erik Ersberg, who has a 2.44 GAA. Ersberg made 19 saves in November's matchup with Washington.
Associated Press

Team Comparison

http://cdn.nhl.com/images/logos/75/lak.gif
Wins: 21
Shutouts: 5
PP: 15
PK: 11

http://cdn.nhl.com/images/logos/75/wsh.gif
Wins: 33
Shutouts: 1
PP: 3rd
Pk: 24th

Kings Upcoming Games
02/05/2009 LAK @ WSH
02/07/2009 LAK @ NJD
02/10/2009 LAK @ NYI
02/12/2009 CGY @ LAK
02/14/2009 EDM @ LAK

Tuesdays Game Winner:
http://images.sportsline.com/u/photo...mg11056399.jpg

Games to look out for:
Anaheim @ Nashville
Edmonton @ St. Louis
Dallas @ Colorado

New Winning streak after this one... Its going to be tough though, the Caps are a different team then the one that came to Staples in november..

GO KINGS GO!!!:yo::handclap:

TonySCV 02-04-2009 10:06 PM

The only thing that comes to mind is... :help:

sueroe 02-04-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV (Post 17729362)
The only thing that comes to mind is... :help:

Lol!
Yeah the last game was the battle of the two snake bitten on offense teams, and now to the other extreme, we should face a shooting frenzy. Good luck to our lucky goalie:thumbu:

Ollie Weeks 02-04-2009 10:29 PM

I think we generally mimic the style of whatever team we play. Colorado? Lets light each other on fire. Ottawa? Lets all have a nap. So the million dollar question is: can we outgun Washington?

Kopi The King 02-04-2009 10:33 PM

I'm confident we can win this game! We beat this team 5-2 in LA. We have been playing good hockey as of late and I see our boys stepping up to the challenge. Good luck boys, get it done tomorrow night!

onlyalad 02-04-2009 10:40 PM

By looking at the stats I say let's pray the Kings are on the PP all night.
I think it can be won. Sometimes a road trip like this solidifies a team.
Last three games no tv, Tomorrow I have to work until 6:30 and will miss this one (live) as well.

MxK1NGS 02-04-2009 11:09 PM

Early GDT but okay... I think Kings are going to take this game to overtime and lost 3-2...Hopefully I am proven wrong..

Where is Johnjm with the GDT? But KingRule great GDT

Fangio 02-04-2009 11:33 PM

If we lose this game tomorrow I blame it on the early GDT. :sarcasm:

KingsRule 02-04-2009 11:41 PM

Ive been doing them the last few weeks since weve been winning. Its easier to do it the night before, then to do them at work. If we lose im blaming the French again:sarcasm:

Cutty Sarkn3ss* 02-05-2009 01:58 AM

Hoping for the best. . .expecting the worst

ru4reals 02-05-2009 03:52 AM

Was reading the preview for this game on yahoo sports and apparently San Jose and the Kings are the only two teams Ovechkin has not scored a goal on yet. I have a feeling the reigning MVP might have himself a pretty big night. Gosh I hope I'm wrong.

hans 02-05-2009 04:10 AM

There are two ways we can win this game: either our offense shows up, or Jose Theodore doesn't. One thing about Washington is that it should definitely be a 60 minute game - their defense isn't good enough to shut us down if we get hot, and their offense can make miracles happen if they get hot. I wouldn't call a two goal lead for either team safe.

aegwillnotwinthecup* 02-05-2009 05:47 AM

It's going to be a very fast game. Our top line needs to show up.

If we turn over the puck as many times as we did against Ottawa, the Capitals' offense will make us pay. Period.

Doughty will have a fantastic game. When the pace quickens, he only gets better. Book it.

If Quick can stand on his head, we have a very good shot at winning this.

Telos 02-05-2009 06:22 AM

Re-match time. Time to remind the Caps that they haven't played us in a while. In case some of you forgot, the last game was pretty dicey and there ended up being a lot of mud throwing from both on the ice and in the stands. Hopefully Brown has some motivation for this game and they come out strong. We need a leader tonight.

johnjm22 02-05-2009 10:44 AM

Washington is 21-3-1 at home this year.

tbrads 02-05-2009 10:45 AM

This is a huge game for the Kings in regards to where they sit in the standings and trying to keep pace with the teams ahead of them. Also, for them to pull out a win against the Bottle Caps in their own building would speak volumes of where the Kings our at in terms of confidence and character.

Yes, the Caps roster scares me :cry:, but heres to the Kings finally turning the corner.

I hope Ivanans and Brashear drop the mits too!

KingsRule 02-05-2009 11:10 AM

The Caps board is nto very nice :( Theyve already called the Kings a "lesser" team, and that theyre not good. Well see tonight. Come on Kings! let the offsense that scored 16 in 3 games show up, and the D against Ottawa show up. and please knock Ovegtables ass out!

not tellin* 02-05-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telos (Post 17733755)
Re-match time. Time to remind the Caps that they haven't played us in a while. In case some of you forgot, the last game was pretty dicey and there ended up being a lot of mud throwing from both on the ice and in the stands. Hopefully Brown has some motivation for this game and they come out strong. We need a leader tonight.

[YT[/YT]

i came here to post this video. you can guarantee that brown will have his head up all night and possibly even looking for some physical retribution. it probably won't happen, but one can hope™

TonySCV 02-05-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjm22 (Post 17735487)
Washington is 21-3-1 at home this year.

Yeeeaaaahhhhh.

:help: is right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hans (Post 17733520)
There are two ways we can win this game: either our offense shows up, or Jose Theodore doesn't.

Yep. We've got to stay out of the box, and get lots of shots away. Their D isn't that great... ours is, but if we get in penalty trouble, forget it. I hope Theodore gets chased.

- T

not tellin* 02-05-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingsRule (Post 17735789)
The Caps board is nto very nice :( Theyve already called the Kings a "lesser" team, and that theyre not good. Well see tonight. Come on Kings! let the offsense that scored 16 in 3 games show up, and the D against Ottawa show up. and please knock Ovegtables ass out!

you can't really blame them when their team is 4th overall in the standings and the team they're playing against is 22nd.

johnjm22 02-05-2009 11:29 AM

If the Kings play as poorly in their own zone as they did against the Sens, they're going to get hammered.

KingsRule 02-05-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icyfur (Post 17735949)
you can't really blame them when their team is 4th overall in the standings and the team they're playing against is 22nd.

True, but they dont gotta be soo meaan. They should pay attention to how a team is playing regardless of standings before talkin **** tho

kingsholygrail 02-05-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icyfur (Post 17735949)

I say let them take the Kings lightly. Maybe they'll make Ovy cry again.

YadaYada 02-05-2009 12:21 PM

I'll be attending my first Kings game this season, and hopefully my first live victory in years.

Caps fans can yap all they want, they snuck into the playoffs last year out of the all powerful SE conference. Congratulations on the successes this season, but you were the Kings 1-2 years ago (without the fans) and that memory should still be fresh.

DeeMeck 02-05-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingsRule (Post 17735789)

I am used to it when I look at GDT's. We always seem to be a team that everyone expects a win against. Nice to see us playing well.