HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Other: Burke: I say three to six (first round) draft picks moving (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=603729)

1927 02-05-2009 08:20 PM

Burke: I say three to six (first round) draft picks moving

With the value of first round draft picks being rated highly on these boards, it is good to hear the perspective on this year’s first round draft picks from an actual hockey executive in Brian Burke.

You can hear the interview at this link:

http://fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp...4_180107_29220

Start from time: 10:16

Brian Burke did the interview with Bob McCown from the Fan590 radio show in Toronto.

They talked about the trade front and if any talks were heating up, then discussed the possibility of first round draft picks moving to different teams this year.

I am paraphrasing from the interview to a condense version. Brian Burke mentioned the following:

“I say three to six (first round) draft picks moving. There is a lot of pressure in some markets to make the playoffs and some pressure from teams who are playing good all year.”

There was more information from Burke on his valuation of the first round draft pick and how thirty teams in the NHL affect the value with so many teams choosing, along with the selections process and analysis of the draft.

With a lot of posters here talking about how deep the 2009 draft will be what three to six teams do you expect to possibly move their first round draft picks for help in the playoffs this year?

alienanton* 02-05-2009 08:21 PM

i dont really see whats groundbreaking or shocking about what he said. 1st rnders get moved at the deadline all the time...

Nikita Filatov* 02-05-2009 08:23 PM

If I said it, would there be a thread on it as well?

The Polak* 02-05-2009 08:23 PM

There certainly is a lot of pressure to make the playoffs burkie

Tor 1st '09 + Tor 1st '10 for kovalchuk and kozlov

mckly 02-05-2009 08:24 PM

good point

Wayne Maki 02-05-2009 08:24 PM

Is that less or more than usually? It sounds pretty average to me.

IBLeaf* 02-05-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Polak (Post 17747207)
There certainly is a lot of pressure to make the playoffs burkie

Tor 1st '09 + Tor 1st '10 for kovalchuk and kozlov

1) There is no pressure to make the playoffs for the next 2-3 years.

2) Horrible proposal.

Lunatik* 02-05-2009 08:28 PM

I see 1st rounders being moved by the Habs, Rangers, Penguins and Canucks... not much logic here just likely playoff teams and a gut feeling

Hedberg 02-05-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HydroFluoric (Post 17747214)
Is that less or more than usually? It sounds pretty average to me.

2008: 3
2007: 9
2006: 3

Modo 02-05-2009 08:34 PM

Dallas better keep their 1st!

Mike Farkas 02-05-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modo (Post 17747602)
Dallas better keep their 1st!

Not Doug Armstrong anymore...you won't have to worry about that 1st becoming a 2nd, two 3rd's and a 5th...and the latter three being used on high risk, European projects...makes my job easier and your team better :handclap:

HockeyThoughts 02-05-2009 08:39 PM

Probably just other teams inquiring about Antropov, Kaberle, and Kubina, saying they'd willing to give their 1st for them or something around that..etc

By saying that they effectively put their 1st on the market.

Who would give up their first I think?
Montreal for sure.
Rangers
Washington
Vancouver
Pittsburgh*
CBJ*

*Stay close/get closer to playoff spot by deadline.

Z0S0 02-05-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 17747386)
I see 1st rounders being moved by the Habs, Rangers, Penguins and Canucks... not much logic here just likely playoff teams and a gut feeling

With the draft in Montreal I sort of doubt it unless Gainey has a really good offer then again I know nothing about the Habs.

1927 02-05-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alienanton (Post 17747127)
i dont really see whats groundbreaking or shocking about what he said. 1st rnders get moved at the deadline all the time...

Yes, I agree with you. However, there are many posters on HF Boards who have stated teams will most likely not move their first round draft picks this year because of the deep draft. Many members like to over value the first round draft pick, as opposed to the proven player, and it just shows that even in this years deep draft that first round picks can be moved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov (Post 17747196)
If I said it, would there be a thread on it as well?

No, there would be no thread started for HF Board members. That is the problem, too many people put in their personal opinion on the value of players and first round draft picks. There is nothing wrong with providing your honest opinion or assessment, but it is good to see what an actual hockey executive believes the number of first round picks being traded in this upcoming deep draft.

Barney Gumble 02-05-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1927 (Post 17747079)
With the value of first round draft picks being rated highly on these boards, it is good to hear the perspective on this year’s first round draft picks from an actual hockey executive in Brian Burke.

You're always going to get a number of 1st rounders from playoff contending teams moved though. For some GM's, their time horizon is a short one. Doubtful you'll get a top ten pick moved (disregarding a team "drafting down" to gain additional pick(s)).

Habsterix* 02-05-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pogge4Life (Post 17747747)
With the draft in Montreal I sort of doubt it unless Gainey has a really good offer then again I know nothing about the Habs.

Agreed. Unless it's for a player like Lecavalier, I highly doubt that the Habs trade their first round pick.

BigG44 02-05-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Farkas (Post 17747660)
Not Doug Armstrong anymore...you won't have to worry about that 1st becoming a 2nd, two 3rd's and a 5th...and the latter three being used on high risk, European projects...makes my job easier and your team better :handclap:

Yeah, how great has Dallas been in the late rounds recently.

Jamie Benn is the obvious example, but Colton Sceviour and Matt Tassone have shown up big in the WHL as well. Philip Larsen is playing 20+ minutes a night now for Frolunda in all situations as an 18/19 year old. Even Austin Smith is a PPG in the NCAA.

Dumping Doug Armstrong was Hicks best move in a long time. Those guys would be waiting to get traded at the deadline if he was here.

lucky13 02-05-2009 09:01 PM

with the loss of cherry its unlikely the rangers move their 1st...we need some high end talent back in the pool

Skrymir 02-05-2009 09:04 PM

Good that means that the sens will have 5-8 1st round picks this year... :sarcasm:

Trottier 02-05-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1927 (Post 17748104)
...Many [HF] members like to over value the first round draft pick, as opposed to the proven player, and it just shows that even in this years deep draft that first round picks can be moved.

...There is nothing wrong with providing your honest opinion or assessment, but it is good to see what an actual hockey executive believes the number of first round picks being traded in this upcoming deep draft.

You, sir, speak the truth. :clap:

Lunatik* 02-05-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pogge4Life (Post 17747747)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix (Post 17748201)
Agreed. Unless it's for a player like Lecavalier, I highly doubt that the Habs trade their first round pick.

I don't think the draft being in Montreal will make a difference at all in that decision... besides if the Habs go into the draft without a 1st and pull off a move to get a 1st... it would dreate some buzz

Habsterix* 02-05-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 17748460)
I don't think the draft being in Montreal will make a difference at all in that decision... besides if the Habs go into the draft without a 1st and pull off a move to get a 1st... it would dreate some buzz

That's why I'm saying that it would have to be a Lecavalier-type deal, a great player under contract for a few years.

I highly doubt that Gainey would deprive the fans in the stands of their first round pick for a rent-a-player or a second tier player, especially not with Timmins' track record at the draft.

Lunatik* 02-05-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix (Post 17748523)
That's why I'm saying that it would have to be a Lecavalier-type deal, a great player under contract for a few years.

I highly doubt that Gainey would deprive the fans in the stands of their first round pick for a rent-a-player or a second tier player, especially not with Timmins' track record at the draft.

I was actually thinking Kaberle when I thought the Habs

Habsterix* 02-05-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 17748556)
I was actually thinking Kaberle when I thought the Habs

Kaberle is NOT worth our first, sorry. A signed Bouwmeester maybe (in a package of course).

Barney Gumble 02-05-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix (Post 17748610)
Kaberle is NOT worth our first, sorry.

He would be if they didn't already have a similiar type of 1st pairing defenseman (Markov).