HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I come in peace-Price (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=604284)

NJDevil22 02-07-2009 09:01 AM

I come in peace-Price

Not trying to troll or anything else like that people get accused of. Im a die hard devils fan but i also really enjoy watching the younger goalies in the league and just goalies in general. I absolutely love watching carry price, probably the most besides marty. His butterfly just seems so fluid. I just wanted to get your guys opinion on his recent play? It seems ever since the injury he hasnt been playing that stellar game that we all have seen before. And do you think it has any coorilation with these new pads? I know thats kind of supersticious but just a thought :sarcasm:

And sorry if this has been discussed in another thread.

Goldthorpe 02-07-2009 09:14 AM

Yeah, he hasn't play very well. I don't think it's because of his new pads - I just think it's him being still very young.

habsrock60 02-07-2009 09:15 AM

I dunno if it's the pads but they certainly make him look smaller which can't be good.

MaKi 02-07-2009 09:16 AM

It just looks like he isn't focused sometimes.
The first goal last night is a good example of that, but even the third goal.
I know he wasn't expecting the puck to come out in front like that but he was down pretty early.
Actually he wasn't down early, he was down the whole time.
I think he was on his knees covering the post and just slide across as Connolly came across.
Anyways it's easy for me to say as a spectator, things happen alot faster in the game.
I just hope he starts to bear down.

A big save doesn't help the team as much as a bad goal hurts it.

Coldplay 02-07-2009 09:18 AM

He's seriously overrated by many on these boards and in the media.

For now, he's a youngster trying to settle into a #1 role, I don't feel he's to that all-star level he was picked to be yet, he's going through some rough times, but IMO he'll get it together.

Myron Gaines* 02-07-2009 09:19 AM

Patrick Roy said it: The kid is very good, but he's going to have inconsistency problems because of his youth. That's exactly what's happening to him.

Dojji* 02-07-2009 09:23 AM

He should get past them eventually, but Hannu Toivonens do happen. Hannu was playing brilliantly for the B's then suddenly just.... fell apart and was never the same again. He was the same age Price is now.

Not hoping for that for Price -- I want to see my team beat GOOD Habs teams, not win by default. More fun when the enemy has a sporting chance don't y'know. But he makes a good cautionary tale about what happens sometimes if you throw a kid into the fire too soon and it turns out he isn't ready.

Hermamoud 02-07-2009 09:23 AM

Blame Melanson!!!!!! :sarcasm:

HabsoluteFate 02-07-2009 09:25 AM

i like how everyone (including myself) seems to feel he/she has to mention they aren't trolling so they wont get attacked...

i think the pads might have something to do with it...but being out for so long probably does as well. He's been playing better so i think he just needs to get into the swing of things again

JHabs 02-07-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevil22 (Post 17772655)
Not trying to troll or anything else like that people get accused of. Im a die hard devils fan but i also really enjoy watching the younger goalies in the league and just goalies in general. I absolutely love watching carry price, probably the most besides marty. His butterfly just seems so fluid. I just wanted to get your guys opinion on his recent play? It seems ever since the injury he hasnt been playing that stellar game that we all have seen before. And do you think it has any coorilation with these new pads? I know thats kind of supersticious but just a thought :sarcasm:

I'm pretty sure it is.

Coldplay 02-07-2009 09:36 AM

It has nothing to do with his pads, they're broken in, he practices with them every day and did about a month before he used them.

It's psychological, not Melanson's fault, don't blame the pads **** :help:

Whitesnake 02-07-2009 09:38 AM

He's bringing his lay-back attitude from the locker room to the ice....Problem not is that while his-lay-back attitude was perceived as a sign of mental toughness, seems more as an attitude to not let people know how affected he really is. Needs some work technically but needs some work mentally....

HotHabsFan* 02-07-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dojji (Post 17772809)
He should get past them eventually, but Hannu Toivonens do happen. Hannu was playing brilliantly for the B's then suddenly just.... fell apart and was never the same again. He was the same age Price is now.

Not hoping for that for Price -- I want to see my team beat GOOD Habs teams, not win by default. More fun when the enemy has a sporting chance don't y'know. But he makes a good cautionary tale about what happens sometimes if you throw a kid into the fire too soon and it turns out he isn't ready.

I AM LMAO @ YOU for comparing Toivonen to Price ! The only thing Toivonen will be remembered for is giving Crosby his 1st NHL goal.

Tuggy 02-07-2009 09:40 AM

He's still got a lot to learn. Some nights he looks amazing and other nights he looks like a 21 year old goalie still learning. He has all the tools and the talent but people need to remember that he is going to be inconsistent at such a young age playing the most difficult position in hockey.

Dojji* 02-07-2009 09:41 AM

That's kinda my point. Toivonen was once considered pretty close to Price in talent. Then he got bombed and it didn't stop. I think Price has already survived that challenge in the playoffs last year by winning Game 7 but it's hard to tell sometimes with young players.

3TB3* 02-07-2009 09:41 AM

his defense hasn't played well. a very poorly assembled defense by bob gainey.

Travis Moen 02-07-2009 09:42 AM

He's young and learning.

HotHabsFan* 02-07-2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dojji (Post 17772955)
That's kinda my point. Toivonen was once considered pretty close to Price in talent. Then he got bombed and it didn't stop. I think Price has already survived that challenge in the playoffs last year by winning Game 7 but it's hard to tell sometimes with young players.

No he wasn't, plus name some things he did pre NHL to deserve the hype you are giving him ?

Coldplay 02-07-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotHabsFan (Post 17772975)
No he wasn't, plus name some things he did pre NHL to deserve the hype you are giving him ?

To be fair, Toivonen was very very touted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3TB3 (Post 17772959)

Andrei Markov, Mike Komisarek, Roman Hamrlik and Josh Gorges are excellent defencemen. Komi's been inconsistent this year, but they're all very solid.

Bouillon is serviceable too, O'Byrne is meh and Brisebois is just depth.

I wouldn't go as far as saying poorly...or poorly at all, I think it's a good job, minus that #4 we need.

GNick42 02-07-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevil22 (Post 17772655)

I think youth...but?? I would try and partner him up with a seasoned NHL veteran. To help him thru this a bit better. Like you say Price has the tools, but inconsistency? Price played his best a few years back during Hamilton's AHL championship run. To me anyway. He was taking charge ie. Roy during Sherbrooke surprising championship run of '85. Challenging shooters, always ahead of the play, more active with the puck. Price has the ability to be a like a third defenseman. He frustrated opposing teams, literally breaking their confidence.

Then he (Price) fell apart in last year's play-offs. I think he gave everything he had, Roy did the same think in '87 playoffs. Fell apart after great '86 playoffs.

Just going to have to work thru it. I don't think Melanson is much help to him. Like some others said in another thread. Melanson is more technique than mental approach. We seen with Vokoun, Melanson really never helped to develop him. Overall, I said it before, but I would look around for well travelled goalie, to partner with Price, for rest of this season.

Dojji* 02-07-2009 10:04 AM

I totally get the resistence to what I'm saying here. No one really wants to believe that their young star tender has bust potential. And in fairness it looks like Price has already reached that point of decision (at least one of them) and has been able to keep his head and stick in the NHL.

But Toivonen was VERY much a top goaltending prospect. And there was no warning signs when he suddenly couldn't do the job anymore -- none at all.

I still remember how sick everyone told us our goalie depth was when we had Toivonen poised to dominate, and also Rask. There are still the occasional Toivonen fanboys in Bruins fandom that were furious that all it took was a bad '06-'07 season to see him traded away (and for a player who is refusing to come to America too!).

OTOH, the wreck of the goodship Toivonen was what gave us a chance to see what Timmy Thomas could do, and that turned out to be a good thing. Still would rather not have seen Toivonen fall apart like that, especially after carefully clearing the way for him so that we had extremely limited options to deal with the reprecussions of his failure. Having to rely on a career AHLer to take over as starter is not a good thing even when it works out beyond your wildest dreams!

Monctonscout 02-07-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3TB3 (Post 17772959)

Yeah those 69 shots given up to Buffalo Pittsburgh and Boston(3 good offensive team) is just horrible...good call! :shakehead

FerrisRox 02-07-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldplay (Post 17772915)
It has nothing to do with his pads, they're broken in, he practices with them every day and did about a month before he used them.

It's psychological, not Melanson's fault, don't blame the pads **** :help:

Agreed.

He switches pads (and gloves) several times a year, even moreso this year with the brown old-school style pads in the mix. Because he's switched in the past to the exact same coloring, nobody has even known when he switched. This year he changed to red, so it was noticeable and suddenly everybody thinks it's a "factor."

Strangely, what they are overlooking is, despite his win loss record, Price is playing quite well.

His pads have nothing to do with his play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dojji (Post 17772955)
Toivonen was once considered pretty close to Price in talent. T

:laugh:

Considered close to Price by who? You?

Magic33 02-07-2009 10:19 AM

I believe that one of the issues is that he's a young kid that hasn't figured out what it takes to be elite in the NHL. I dont think his attitude is always right, and it seems, from what i've seen/heard that his work ethic may not always be right. Guys like Brodeur and Luongo come to the rink focused, ready to work as hard as they can. Price is still young, and understandably, may not realize what he has to do to become an elite goaltender. Hopefully, as time goes on, he will continue to learn and bring the same attitude as the top level goalies.

3TB3* 02-07-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 17773170)
Yeah those 69 shots given up to Buffalo Pittsburgh and Boston(3 good offensive team) is just horrible...good call! :shakehead

it's not stats of shots

it's turnovers in your own end or caught out of position allowing good scoring chances