HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Jeff Cowan for Kip Brennan (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=60486)

Sydor25 03-09-2004 02:40 PM

Jeff Cowan for Kip Brennan

Jeff Cowan: 58 games 9 goals 15 assists 24 points 68 PIM

Left Wing
Born Sep 27 1976 -- Scarborough, ONT
Height 6.02 -- Weight 185 -- Shoots L

Looks like a taller Jon Sim. :dunno:

Anyone know anything about his style of play?

jfont 03-09-2004 02:52 PM

evidently, cowan is a pretty gritty winger that has some skill...

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...ght=jeff+cowan

kingbrath 03-09-2004 03:07 PM

Another good trade by DT in my opinion!
GO KINGS GO!

kingsfan25 03-09-2004 03:12 PM

Well... in the last week we've lost both of our enforcers.

Don't want to judge Cowan before I see him play, but I would like to have someone in the lineup who can throw a punch or two going into the playoffs.

punchy1 03-09-2004 03:15 PM

He was a Flame who went to the Thrash. He is a 27 year old. He has missed several games over the past two seasons due to injuries. He is having his best offencive year this season and has set career highs in several cats.

He has 24 points (9 goals 15 assists) and is thought of as a third line LW with gritt or so his teams fans seem to think.

Bren weren't getting the ice time and was simply an enfourcer and since Andy has little use for that type of player, this is a decent enough deal. I would like it better if Cowan weren't so often injured. Next season, when Visors become a mandatory piece of kit, you will see fighting all but taken away from the game and with that, Cowan will be the better option.

I reckon this is as one of them deals that simply didn't needed to be done as it doesn't address a team weakness. I also think that DT and our scouting staff are brilliant and that I will defer to thier skills and knowledge over mine.

If DT and co like him then it is good enough for me.

Grady41 03-09-2004 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brath
Another good trade by DT in my opinion!
GO KINGS GO!

Well I can't say its a bad trade I didn't expect it though. I'm wondering if Cowan will push Cammalleri out of the lineup or just take place of Kip as a scratch.

In terms of talent yeah I guess its a good trade Cowan > Kip especially since Cowan will drop the gloves too.

With Carter and Straka, Dempsey, Cowan on the Kings can't say I'm dissapointed with the moves DT has made this season.

Grady41 03-09-2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punchy1
I reckon this is as one of them deals that simply didn't needed to be done as it doesn't address a team weakness. I also think that DT and our scouting staff are brilliant and that I will defer to thier skills and knowledge over mine.

If DT and co like him then it is good enough for me.

Agree with you here on all points.

P.S. I hope visor aren't mandatory.

Old Hickory 03-09-2004 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punchy1
. He has missed several games over the past two seasons due to injuries.

He'll fit right in !

Fat Elvis 03-09-2004 06:50 PM

Don't really know what to think of this trade, I guess he'll take Brennan's spot on the "tonights scratched list". He does have better hockey skills than Kip but with Andy's love affair with Chartrand and Tripp, I'm not sure how he'll fit in? I'd like to see a line of
Cowen-Avery-Lappy :dunno: for a few shifts just to see the havoc they'd cause.

Mindcircus 03-09-2004 07:59 PM

Anyone know if he'll be in the lineup tonight? I'd like to see what this guy can do. I honestly have never heard of him and i like to think i know most of the players in the league. By the way... how are you people getting on this site when it's been down for me all day long until now? Can the server not handle the traffic or something?

Old Hickory 03-09-2004 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindcircus
Anyone know if he'll be in the lineup tonight? I'd like to see what this guy can do. I honestly have never heard of him and i like to think i know most of the players in the league. By the way... how are you people getting on this site when it's been down for me all day long until now? Can the server not handle the traffic or something?

I highly doubt he will be in the lineup tonight. The Thrashers are playing a home game tonight and I don't think he can make it out here in time.
I started a thread about the trades and theres a good bio of him in there

Old Hickory 03-09-2004 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I highly doubt he will be in the lineup tonight. The Thrashers are playing a home game tonight and I don't think he can make it out here in time.
I started a thread about the trades and theres a good bio of him in there

EDIT-He will not play tonight, he will play tomorrow night

Capn Brown 03-10-2004 12:56 AM

I love the trade. I guess AM & DT weren't too thrilled with the way Norton & Brennan *stuck up* for their fellow teammates or what? I still love the trade, though.

Kingz4life 03-10-2004 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Daleks
I love the trade. I guess AM & DT weren't too thrilled with the way Norton & Brennan *stuck up* for their fellow teammates or what? I still love the trade, though.

Well Norton and Brennan are not everday players. It looks like Cowan is. To trade a guy that doesnt play for a guy who will, sounds pretty good to me. I think it was a great move by DT. From what i hear he plays similar to Klatt, but he's younger and he drops the gloves. I'm not saying he's better then Klatt right now. Rumors of Ryan Flinn being called up, if AM decides to bring in a enforcer.

swinginutter* 03-10-2004 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingz4life
Well Norton and Brennan are not everday players. It looks like Cowan is. To trade a guy that doesnt play for a guy who will, sounds pretty good to me. I think it was a great move by DT. From what i hear he plays similar to Klatt, but he's younger and he drops the gloves. I'm not saying he's better then Klatt right now. Rumors of Ryan Flinn being called up, if AM decides to bring in a enforcer.

I agree on the everyday players comment, and they definitely stood up for there players when they were given the opportunity. Grebs got hammered by Burnett last sunday, and Norton didn't even hesitate. Same for Brennan, early in the season when Cummins ran Avery from behind. Brennan pulverized Cummins twice.

I'm kinda bummed on this deal. Brennan is a top five heavyweight in this league, and we lack a true heavyweight (enforcer) in our line-up. Cowan is another middleweight, and we already have plenty. There is only one middleweight in this league that can take on all fighters (heavyweights) and thats VandenBussche. It just scares me that we would give up one of our true heavyweights, but hey AM never played him anyways.

As far as Flinn goes, I feel Brennan was the better enforcer (officer) the last two years. And, I wouldn't be surprised if Flinn is gone in the near future also. Teams will continue to run us, because we never do a thing about it! I can't believe this trade even happened............WHY? I don't think it addressed anything, and I hope it's not another Ken Belanger plague. Good luck Kip!

Venom_17 03-10-2004 01:00 PM

Kip will never be a regular, he'll never sniff 10-15 goals in a season. Cowan has 9 this year already, and he was injured, wasn't he? I think the days of "enforcers" are gone. I'd rather have a middleweight who can play than a goon who can't skate. Besides, no one fights in the playoffs anways. I think with Avery, Cowan, Laperriere we will be alright seeing as how they don't hurt us with their play and take a regular shift.

agentfouser 03-10-2004 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom_17
Kip will never be a regular, he'll never sniff 10-15 goals in a season. Cowan has 9 this year already, and he was injured, wasn't he? I think the days of "enforcers" are gone. I'd rather have a middleweight who can play than a goon who can't skate. Besides, no one fights in the playoffs anways. I think with Avery, Cowan, Laperriere we will be alright seeing as how they don't hurt us with their play and take a regular shift.

i totally agree, good post. i also like the ability this gives us to spread fighting-toughness through several lines.

Kingz4life 03-10-2004 05:14 PM

I don't think it addressed anything, and I hope it's not another Ken Belanger plague. Good luck Kip![/QUOTE]If it didn't addresse anything then Cowan wouldn't be in the line up. I never blamed AM for not playing Brennan. Especially when we got Carter, what were we going to do put Brennan on a line with Carter? If Brennan was going to play, he was going to replace Avery. Then that would mess up the Avery-Belanger-Lappy line. He wasn't going to play, but Cowan is going to play. There's nothing wrong with this deal.

swinginutter* 03-10-2004 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom_17

Good points, but i've rarely ever seen a heavyweight (enforcer) post over 10 to 15 goals, because that's not his job. I don't think the days of enforcers are gone, especially this year with majors going up. I just feel that 90% of all NHL clubs skate enforcers (heavyweights) and the Kings rarely do, more because of AM's system. Other teams realize this in the league, and know that they can run our star players without any type of retribution coming back. If every team in this league takes away their heavyweights than i'm all for our present line-up.
As far as post-season you're dead on, but you have to get to post-season first, and you need an officer protecting your star players at all times, without question. To me it's not a question of how good they can skate anyways because they're barely logging any time to begin with. Peter Worrell is bar-none the worst skater in this league, but it's not his skating that Colorado is looking for. It's a presence, and teams will definitely think twice.
On a side note, read about Cowan this year on this link. Most of his points were early in the season and then he suffered a concussion...........Like we needed anymore!

http://www.ajc.com/thrashers/content.../10thrash.html

Quote:

If it didn't addresse anything then Cowan wouldn't be in the line up. I never blamed AM for not playing Brennan. Especially when we got Carter, what were we going to do put Brennan on a line with Carter? If Brennan was going to play, he was going to replace Avery. Then that would mess up the Avery-Belanger-Lappy line. He wasn't going to play, but Cowan is going to play. There's nothing wrong with this deal.
This is exactly the problem that I have. We are all led to believe especially through our coaching staff that we need to spread the talent through four lines. We're barely scoring with our top two lines at the moment, and one of the major reasons we have so many players going through injuries (besides bad luck) is because we don't police our own actions, which a heavyweight can take care of. Colorado has a sick system, and continue to bring offensive jugernauts through their system, but they still address there enforcer role, and sometimes with two players. Cummins and Worrell. In fact every team in the NHL does it........EXCEPT US! ***** they traded Nedorost for Worrell. And, if everyone here remembers they only gave us a choice of Aulin or Vrbata. Besides myself the DailyNews always seems to have it right! Read the last sentence with Norton, and now Brennan. Also had a good article on Schneider yesterday also.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1...007261,00.html

Kingz4life 03-10-2004 10:42 PM

This is exactly the problem that I have. We are all led to believe especially through our coaching staff that we need to spread the talent through four lines. We're barely scoring with our top two lines at the moment, and one of the major reasons we have so many players going through injuries (besides bad luck) is because we don't police our own actions, which a heavyweight can take care of. Colorado has a sick system, and continue to bring offensive jugernauts through their system, but they still address there enforcer role, and sometimes with two players. Cummins and Worrell. In fact every team in the NHL does it........EXCEPT US! ***** they traded Nedorost for Worrell. And, if everyone here remembers they only gave us a choice of Aulin or Vrbata. Besides myself the DailyNews always seems to have it right! Read the last sentence with Norton, and now Brennan. Also had a good article on Schneider yesterday also.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1...007261,00.html[/QUOTE]Well, the problem is we don't have great top six frowards, because of all the injuries. This is why we need to spread the talent around.

I Am Ziggy Palffy 03-10-2004 10:55 PM

i like this guy...he's big, sktates pretty well, and is eager to throw his weight around...plus he's taken on some tough enforcers in the past...i see him as a middlewieght....we gave up a pure enforcer in kip, but we got back a guy who can do a little bit of everything...

swinginutter* 03-10-2004 11:25 PM

Quote:

Well, the problem is we don't have great top six frowards, because of all the injuries. This is why we need to spread the talent around.
Not true, this is only what our coaching staff keeps preaching. I don't buy it. I've seen Chartrand, Tripp, and players that simply don't belong on the top two lines but are injected into them so AM has four complete lines. LAPD line would have never existed if it wasn't for Dave Tippett. AM is a great coach, and I love him, but he doesn't need to have this formula, especially when most coaches in this league shorten the bench in periods 2 and 3. You ALWAYS, ALWAYS need an enforcer in the line-up, unless the opposing team doesn't have one, and believe me, every team does.....EVERY NIGHT! Amazing prospects and players are riding pine in Colorado so guys like Worrell and Cummins can play. Explain that to me.

Cale Hulse and Shane Doan were head hunting all night. What did we do? Nothing! If Kip was in the line-up tonight match him up against Doan for a shift or two with two other responsible forwards, and goad Doan into dropping the mitts. I can guarantee you he'd think twice about running our players again.

I know for a fact if Frolov got hurt last night everybody would be crying about how Doan is so dirty, and that he's a cheapshot artist. We need to handle the business and stop crying for refs all the time!

Kingz4life 03-10-2004 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swinginutter
Not true, this is only what our coaching staff keeps preaching. I don't buy it. I've seen Chartrand, Tripp, and players that simply don't belong on the top two lines but are injected into them so AM has four complete lines. LAPD line would have never existed if it wasn't for Dave Tippett. AM is a great coach, and I love him, but he doesn't need to have this formula, especially when most coaches in this league shorten the bench in periods 2 and 3. You ALWAYS, ALWAYS need an enforcer in the line-up, unless the opposing team doesn't have one, and believe me, every team does.....EVERY NIGHT! Amazing prospects and players are riding pine in Colorado so guys like Worrell and Cummins can play. Explain that to me.

Cale Hulse and Shane Doan were head hunting all night. What did we do? Nothing! If Kip was in the line-up tonight match him up against Doan for a shift or two with two other responsible forwards, and goad Doan into dropping the mitts. I can guarantee you he'd think twice about running our players again.

I know for a fact if Frolov got hurt last night everybody would be crying about how Doan is so dirty, and that he's a cheapshot artist. We need to handle the business and stop crying for refs all the time!

Well, lets say the Cowan trade never happened if u were AM what would you do with lines? Where would Brennan be placed? Who would you take out?

punchy1 03-10-2004 11:52 PM

Well said. Firstly, I have been saying that Doan is so dirty and a cheapshot artist mate. I have taken a little heat for that as well. (not from us Kings fans and not even from jfont)

We now have Carter,Frolov,Luc,Straka and Stumpel, all who would be top sixers anywhere in the league and compare to all but two or three teams as far as power is concerned. Armstrong has 37 points in 47 games this year, that is as good or better than lots of other top six centers in the game too. Klatt should be moved to the checking line now that we have these lads back or on the team as he could really be a massive add to the Pirnes line. Put Carter where he has been and roberts your fathers brother.

We have the horses I reckon, it is the team attitude towards "being a proffesional" and using restraint (Andys terms from last year and I have heard him say them things as well this year) where the tuff stuff is concerned. He reckons it is bad for the game and causes more harm then good. He wants our lads to check and run. Keep moving. Don't finish a check if it is going to make you stop your feet. I heard him say that when I were at the couple of practices I went to this summer.

It is his phylosophy. I don't argue that it is a bad one as I am not an NHL coach but, it is what he teaches. Now, I reckon that until next season when the half shield becomes mandatory (this has been said to be happening by a couple of reporters this season but I have no idea if it came from the league or what) that sending a reasonable message to a hack like Doan for example after taking a run at our top lad (Frolov) when the game is over would be EXACTLY the kind of thing that you WOULD kick his woller down for.

Instead, we were proffesionals who showed restraint and what happened? He came back tonight and one time threw and elbow that SHOULD have seen him with his tail kicked in and sitting in the box for four minutes as well. He also had a run at a couple of others (Straka got run by him and if it weren't for Marty making a turn the hit would have taken his head off) of our top players.

Several of the Kings were standing in the benches pointing and shouting right propper pissed at it and Andy were too. Yet, we STILL don't go out and kick his tail for it. Pathetic. We had him on the ice with a face off up by two goals and less than 13 seconds left and even had him in the corner throwing punches (no call) at Dempseys head from behind as well. I would be certain that the refs would have thrown both out for it if one of our lads would have taken him down for his cheap actions.

It has to effects. One, it stops him instantly from doing what he was doing and Two, it sends a pretty clear message that says "if you think you can cheap shot our top lads because you are going to be golfing in a couple of weeks you are wrong". It says to your team mates "I have your back mate" and helps with team unity when you stand up for each other.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am NOT calling for us to be as cheap as Doan or doing anything as dispicable as Bertuzzi or anything like that. I am saying that at least a challenge should be made when a player does that. For us it is only rarely an option, sadly.

punchy1 03-11-2004 12:07 AM

I do have a suggestion for lines with Cowan who by the way I like and felt he played well enough all things considered. (though you weren't asking. Would you post your own as well?)

We saw the huge mistake that Andy had made by having Marty play as a third liner. Rubbish. At least he put him back where he belonged with Frolov and Stumpel. It reminded me of his constant messing about with the Deader/Ally/Ziggy line when they were together. God help us Andy, once you have a line that is awsome, leave it alone!

Here is what I would do now that we are set with our players.

Luc/Army/Carter Carter has well more offencive skills then Klatt and plays the corners as well as him also. Now, Klatt should be inserted a few shifts a game but, this is why you got Carter, NOT to make him or Marty third liners.

Frolov/Stumpel/Straka. No brainer. Martys first two games back with the lads were awsome and it were obvious that they were about to start producing. Leave them be.

Avery/Ebell/Lappy. No brainer. Litterally! They work to well together.

Cowan/Pirnes/Klatt. Cowan plays LW and has speed enough to stay with Pirnes. Klatt will be the anchor on the line making it a very nice option and his steady play will give us an actual legitimate four lines that we can roll and be dandy with. In fact, I would say that it would make it to where we would have the ability to roll all four lines with equal time and be able to score, check AND HOLD A BLOODY LEAD.

Luc/Army/Carter
Frolov/Stumpel/Straka
Avery/Ebell/Lappy
Cowan/Pirnes/Klatt (giving him shifts with his old line mates as well when it makes sense) Extra, dress Flinn or Paros and rotate them in if you want to send a message, though, you wont.

Matty/Corvo
Miller/Modry (who were dead awful tonite)
Visnovsky/Gleason
Dempsey.

Who would have thought that we, would have too many solid and good NHL caliber defencemen this season at all? I know I wouldn't have. As it is, Modry has become our weakest link and he, after all of his glaring mistakes, is still a solid number five or six defenceman. Still, at this point, Dempsey, even though he had a brilliant night as far as offence goes, is making well too many mistakes in each of his games in his own end for my tastes at this point. I am certain he will replace Modry, who we should have dealt instead of losing for naff this offseason but, until next season, I reckon him to be our seventh defenceman on the depth charts.

I am a loon who is right daft on these things as made obvious in my game predicitions yet still, this one sort of makes sense to me.