HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Update! Rucinsky (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=60492)

Park #2 03-09-2004 02:52 PM

Update! Rucinsky

Rangers also receive the rights to Umberger. This is a FANTASTIC trade. Sather deserves a pat on the back for this steal.

Grenier, Umberger and a 2nd??? For a Free Agent with under 15 goals???

Nucks44 03-09-2004 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Park #2
Rangers also receive the rights to Umberger. This is a FANTASTIC trade. Sather deserves a pat on the back for this steal.

Grenier, Umberger and a 2nd??? For a Free Agent with under 15 goals???

No...its Grenier and Umberger for Rucinsky Umberger

Park #2 03-09-2004 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucks44
No...its Grenier and Umberger for Rucinsky Umberger

Just got that.

This is still a steal. Rucinsky at best is a solid 7th forward - He is ok. He has played fairly well. Not to mention that he is a free agent. So the Rangers added two higher end prospects for nothing.

Nucks44 03-09-2004 02:57 PM

Quote:

Just got that.

This is still a steal. Rucinsky at best is a solid 7th forward - He is ok. He has played fairly well. Not to mention that he is a free agent. So the Rangers added two higher end prospects for nothing.

higher end prospects?? Grenier is far from that....goon at best. Umberger would not play a game in a Nucks uniform because he wanted more money than Kesler. So win win for both teams. Umberger was useless for us and so was Grenier.

Melrose_Jr. 03-09-2004 02:59 PM

Umberger's a FA at the end of this season though. I sure hope Sather got some kind of argeement that this kid is going to sign here before swapping the 2nd for his rights.

Bluenote13 03-09-2004 02:59 PM

Was Umberger playing at all this year?

Park #2 03-09-2004 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucks44
higher end prospects?? Grenier is far from that....goon at best. Umberger would not play a game in a Nucks uniform because he wanted more money than Kesler. So win win for both teams. Umberger was useless for us and so was Grenier.

It's not really a win for either yet - let's see.

Canucks are in big trouble anyway. Bertuzzi is gone for at least all of the regular season and likely first 3 of playoffs. Rucinsky is more of what you have. Not to mention, he's a rental.

Grenier cannot be labeled as just a goon. Like I said - people said the same about Colin White for the first four years after he was drafted. Most teams would drool over him on the roster.

nucks2001 03-09-2004 03:03 PM

Quote:

Just got that.

Grenier isn't even a prospect.. higher end heh.. ya..

Umberger was never going to play for Vancouver. We would've got a 2nd for him so for us this is the equivelant of a 2nd to us

KING 03-09-2004 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Umberger's a FA at the end of this season though. I sure hope Sather got some kind of argeement that this kid is going to sign here before swapping the 2nd for his rights.

I think if we don't sign him by June 1st(I'am not to sure on the date) He can re-enter in this years draft.

Bird Law 03-09-2004 03:07 PM

Quote:

It's not really a win for either yet - let's see.

Canucks are in big trouble anyway. Bertuzzi is gone for at least all of the regular season and likely first 3 of playoffs. Rucinsky is more of what you have. Not to mention, he's a rental.

Grenier cannot be labeled as just a goon. Like I said - people said the same about Colin White for the first four years after he was drafted. Most teams would drool over him on the roster.

Nah @ Grenier. He is just a goon. I've watched his whole career since I thought he'd make something.

He's just a goon.

L.I.RangerFan 03-09-2004 03:08 PM

Two big questions about Umberger (I have liked this guy since he was drafted)

Will he sign - I think he will be signed by the end of the week.
Has he stayed in shape - I hope so

Good deal for a 33 yr old UFA

Park #2 03-09-2004 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reveille
Nah @ Grenier. He is just a goon. I've watched his whole career since I thought he'd make something.

He's just a goon.

People have different opinions - that's fine. The bigger point here is what I said to begin with: A high end prospect (Umberger) and a 6'5 245 lb defenseman are a solid grab for an decent forward who will be a free agent at year's end.

Bluenote13 03-09-2004 03:12 PM

So if we don't sign Umberger we get a Compensatory 2nd rounder?

Khelvan 03-09-2004 03:13 PM

Also, I heard that one of the Canadian stations said that the Rangers will get a 2nd round pick if they don't sign Umberger. Now whether they meant from Vancouver as part of the trade, or a pick based on losing the draftee to UFA status I am not sure.

-Khel

Park #2 03-09-2004 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khelvan
Also, I heard that one of the Canadian stations said that the Rangers will get a 2nd round pick if they don't sign Umberger. Now whether they meant from Vancouver as part of the trade, or a pick based on losing the draftee to UFA status I am not sure.

-Khel

Yes, the Rangers get a 2nd if Umberger doesn't sign.

Umberger has higher value then the 53rd (give or take) pick overall.

Bird Law 03-09-2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

People have different opinions - that's fine. The bigger point here is what I said to begin with: A high end prospect (Umberger) and a 6'5 245 lb defenseman are a solid grab for an decent forward who will be a free agent at year's end.

BUt the defenseman can hardly skate.

Grenier basically walks he's so slow.

He really should be a forward and I think he does that now.

I REALLY hope he never touches the ice for us as a d-man.

Bird Law 03-09-2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SatherExecutioner
Sather can screw Canucks by letting Umberger sign with his buddy Lowe and then trade 4th rounder to Oilers for Umberger while getting a 2nd rounder from Canucks.

We get it from the league. Not the Nucks.

Flounder 03-09-2004 03:40 PM

Slats put us in a very good position

The Canucks would not have been able to sign Umberger. He is from Pittsburgh, so we can play the angle of having him play with Jagr, which was probably a dream of his to get him signed.

Providing that happens we have the option of keeping him or trading him to Pittsburgh in a package for the #1 pick, providing Pittsburgh gets it. What better way is there to get fans in the building than to have a hometown kid playing for the big club. That is the only chance that we could pry that pick out of Pittsburgh.

Worse case scenario, we don't sign him and get the 2nd rounder and the "goon".

Best case scenario we win the lottery, and sign Umberger and get a tough d-man.

And all it cost us was an ufa.

Great trade!

Park #2 03-09-2004 04:04 PM

Quote:

Or he could just sign with Penguins

He just wants to play in the NHL. He'll sign with the Rangers.

Flounder 03-09-2004 04:13 PM

Quote:

Or he could just sign with Penguins

-yes, but we'd still get a second round pick and the d-man- which is not bad for an ufa-

"Potentially" this trade could bring us a lot more- That's my point.

Larry Melnyk 03-09-2004 04:18 PM

Once again, a totally awesome trade by Sather...Yes, since the Canucks were't gonna sign him, this was a good trade for the Canucks too..But noe of these trades have been about who wins, becasue the goals are totally different...

RJ UMBERGER will be signed and he will be signed quick...He's a legitmate top prospect and 1st rounder who has a complete game..He's big, strong, good speed and good smarts...A great pick-up by Slats for somebody that ain't that far away

Edge 03-09-2004 05:19 PM

well he might be a little further away because of this lost year.

But having said that, he should be signed in time for the ahl playoffs.

as for grenier, he'll be the cup of of coffee, "we need a fighter" callup.

cyrisweb 03-09-2004 05:37 PM

Decent deal for both teams.
Grenier is big and tough, and will probably finish his career many years down the road as a 7th dman.
He has no speed and has no offensive talent..
He had his chances to make the Canucks.. but was beaten out by Baumgarter... who couldn't even stick full time with the Pens.. That about says it all.

Last I heard Kovalev was heading to Vancouver for a package that included Umberger, but Sather couldn't get Umberger to agree to sign a deal so the deal was cancelled. I think Sather was more interested in getting the 2nd round pick compensation from the NHL.

IF Umberger is signed he could turn out to be a good player.. has decent second line potential. Has good speed, has a good shot. But he is very streaky. Doesn't really try as hard as he should all the time and has no heart for the game. He sounds like a lot of past Canuck prospects.. like Holden and Druken. Both of which are still in the minors doing nothing.

NFITO 03-09-2004 05:43 PM

canuck fan perspective...

good trade for both teams.

we needed a lift and Rucinsky can give us that... a winger to play with the Sedins basically.

question: how often have you seen Rucinsky play the right side? does he play well on this side - offensively and defensively??

we basically gave up a 2nd round pick for him.... Umberger wasn't going to sign with us, and was going to be our 46th pick in the 2nd round (which is his compensation this year)... Grenier isnt' worth much... he had no future in Vancouver. We got him for Bryan Helmer - a 30-something minor league - at the beginning of the year... at best he's a #8 dman in the NHL... he might be a good addition for the Rangers if they're rebuidling as it gives you a decent minor league body to play in Hartford to bring up a couple of young kids to the pros.

with Umberger... if you don't sign him you get the 46th pick in the draft... if you sign him after the June 1st deadline - you still get the 46th pick, although at that time he can talk contract with other teams in the NHL.... there is no pick coming from Vancouver, this was it.

When you look at the other deals that have happened, this is right along that line... Umberger isn't as good a prospect as Balej is... he's a former 1st rounder that still has a lot of rough edges around his game - far from complete... still a good project player... has some good offensive upside, but needs to learn the defensive game... has been critisized in the past for being too soft for a player his size and not playing with a lot of intensity... of course he's still got loads of potential... I see him as a good 2nd line right winger at best.... more likely I see him as an average 2nd liner or a decent 3rd liner - if he can improve his defensive ability.

still a good prospect pickup for someone who was a UFA to be... for the Canucks we picked up a rental who's actually performing well for a 2nd rounder... not too bad.

good deal both ways.

Edge 03-09-2004 05:48 PM

bottom line is we sign him we get a good prospect and we don't, we get a second rounder.

cant complain.

as for rucinsky he might actually be a little better than expected, esp if Bertuzzi sits for a while and Rucinsky plays on the top line.