HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Hockey Monkey: Buying from Canada (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=605337)

playbedar 02-09-2009 05:45 PM

Hockey Monkey: Buying from Canada

Can someone explain me exactly what it will cost me if I buy the following items at Hockeymonkey? I know there is the brokerage (I think) wich will cost me like 40$. What taxes will I pay? How the shipping cost work if I buy 3 items?

Here is what I want to buy:

CCM V08 Helmet 49,99$
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hock...ector-v08.html

CCM V04 Elbow pads 21,99$
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-protective-sr.html

Warrior Fubar Pro Series Gloves 99,99$
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...series-sr.html

So I guess it's:

171,97$ + taxes?

that's 209,44$can + taxes

+ 38,42$ for brokerage
+ 18,24$ for shipping I think

so it would cost me 266,10$ + the taxes if I'm not wrong.

Is there any other seller in Canada who can have these 3 items for a good price?

Placebo Effect 02-09-2009 05:48 PM

I don't think you have to pay any taxes, just the customs fee, which can be a ridiculous amount. Can't remember what it was but I once paid 20 duty on a $30 item. Not sure if there is any truth to it, but I've found that I tend to get lower duty costs with stuff shipped by USPS than UPS.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/info.html#shippingpolicy

scroll down to shipping to Canada for more info. I have wanted to get stuff from Hockey Monkey but will wait till I go down to the States.

Solid Snake 02-09-2009 06:22 PM

I've ordered from Hockey Monkey b4 but I've never been able to figure out how delivery companies calculate customs/duties. If it helps, I ordered about $250 of stuff and I had to pay $60 in duties. The order was delivered by UPS if I remember correctly. I find UPS and Fedex charge the most for customs.

Iron 02-09-2009 06:25 PM

If you ship it air you don't have to pay duty. It will cost more to ship but you'll save in total because of no duty.

MatthewT 02-09-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freestyla (Post 17821430)
I don't think you have to pay any taxes, just the customs fee, which can be a ridiculous amount. Can't remember what it was but I once paid 20 duty on a $30 item. Not sure if there is any truth to it, but I've found that I tend to get lower duty costs with stuff shipped by USPS than UPS.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/info.html#shippingpolicy

scroll down to shipping to Canada for more info. I have wanted to get stuff from Hockey Monkey but will wait till I go down to the States.

That is true, Using USPS will save you the duties, I learned from ordering many, many golf clubs from the states :D

playbedar 02-10-2009 01:17 PM

Hockey Monkey can't ship Warrior, Easton and Nike/Bauer gear to Canada ... you guys know any places where I can find Warrior Fubar gloves? The exact same model, not the ugly one.

Gunnar Stahl 30 02-10-2009 01:39 PM

i wanted to buy a 9.50 t shirt but i put my zip in and it was going to cost me like 12 double chesseburgers for shipping

Caeldan 02-10-2009 02:27 PM

I'll also chime in on DO NOT USE UPS (haven't had experience with FedEx) to ship crossborder into Canada.

They completely bend you over with their brokerage fees.

playbedar 02-10-2009 02:44 PM

I decided to buy from Sport Rousseau ... it will cost me about the same but I'll have MIA's MB22 gloves instead of Warrior Fubar wich I guess is almost the same thing.

TBLfan 02-10-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by playbedar (Post 17838131)
Hockey Monkey can't ship Warrior, Easton and Nike/Bauer gear to Canada ... you guys know any places where I can find Warrior Fubar gloves? The exact same model, not the ugly one.

Incorrect. Warrior can ship. Nike/Bauer, Easton, CCM and RBK/Reebok will not allow for a US shop to sell internationally.

playbedar 02-10-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBLfan (Post 17839967)
Incorrect. Warrior can ship. Nike/Bauer, Easton, CCM and RBK/Reebok will not allow for a US shop to sell internationally.

I got the information from the customer service of HockeyMonkey ... and named the three companies I mentioned.

Here's the eaxct quote:
"Unfortunately Warrior, Nike Bauer & Easton will not allow us to export their items outside of the US. Any other brands are ok to ship outside of the States."

TBLfan 02-10-2009 09:09 PM

Warrior does not have any limitation on where their buyers sell to. Hockeymonkey CAN and has, but they currently won't ship Warrior internationally. Anywhere else will ship Warrior.

Nbr-17 02-11-2009 07:19 AM

It seems that Hockey Monkey will only ship UPS to Canada :(

Placebo Effect 02-11-2009 12:49 PM

Yeah, I really wanna get some stuff from Hockey Monkey, but gonna have to wait until I go to the States. I hate UPS so much.

greyraven8 02-13-2009 05:10 PM

In my experience NEVER get anything from the states shipped UPS to Canada.
UPS super screws you on their 'border fees'.
It's happened to me twice and I plan on never doing it again.

I've emailed and/or phoned companies in the states to see if they will ship USPS to Canada even if it's a bit more. If they only ship UPS, I will look elsewhere.

USPS may charge you a $5 border fee and charge you for taxes; may not charge you anything. Usually on lower priced items there is no fees or taxes charged; higher priced items - it seems like a crap shoot. (still way better than UPS).

Nbr-17 02-14-2009 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyraven8 (Post 17908388)
In my experience NEVER get anything from the states shipped UPS to Canada.
UPS super screws you on their 'border fees'.
It's happened to me twice and I plan on never doing it again.

I've emailed and/or phoned companies in the states to see if they will ship USPS to Canada even if it's a bit more. If they only ship UPS, I will look elsewhere.

USPS may charge you a $5 border fee and charge you for taxes; may not charge you anything. Usually on lower priced items there is no fees or taxes charged; higher priced items - it seems like a crap shoot. (still way better than UPS).

Same here. I never buy if they ship UPS.

Fuhryous 02-28-2009 08:38 PM

I was going to order a bunch of Eagle goalie equipment from their sister site "goalie monkey". You may want to do some serious research on what country the equipment you want to buy is made in. All of the Eagle stuff I was going to buy was made in China. I phoned and talked to a customer service rep from Goalie Monkey to verify where it was made. There will be some serious duty charges on top all the shipping charges, plus the insane brokerage fees (as others have posted) UPS hammers you with. A case in point, I ordered a pair of Smith polarized sunglass lenses for $30 from some site in the US. Two weeks after I got them, I received a bill for $36 from UPS for brokerage. In the end all be all, it would have cost me the same amount of cash to buy them in Canada. You're better off to wait a week or three when all the sports stores have their spring blowout prices on hockey equipment.

Mo9 04-02-2009 05:44 PM

Okay, so will Goalie Monkey ship RBK/Reebok equipment to Canada? And does anyone have a factual list of brands they will not ship out to Canada? Thanks

CanadaBacon 04-02-2009 06:09 PM

So the GF is going to order me 2 CCM Wild uncrested jerseys and 2 pairs of Wild socks. It is 98 dollars and change total (taxes and shipping). Will UPS charge me more when the stuff gets here?

I have never ordered off the internet before. The only reason i am doing this is that it is near impossible to get CCM uncrested jerseys in any LHS.

Placebo Effect 04-02-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 18839428)
So the GF is going to order me 2 CCM Wild uncrested jerseys and 2 pairs of Wild socks. It is 98 dollars and change total (taxes and shipping). Will UPS charge me more when the stuff gets here?

I have never ordered off the internet before. The only reason i am doing this is that it is near impossible to get CCM uncrested jerseys in any LHS.

Yeah you're probably going to get hit hard on duties/custom fees with UPS. Have you checked out ice jerseys or river city sports?

simnorm 04-02-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Good luck, I had to fork out an extra 22$ca for a 20$us order just 2 weeks ago.

Nbr-17 04-03-2009 08:08 AM

Quote:

Will UPS charge me more when the stuff gets here?

Yes, have the Vaseline ready it makes it less painful.

MikeC44 04-04-2009 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freestyla (Post 18839732)
Yeah you're probably going to get hit hard on duties/custom fees with UPS. Have you checked out ice jerseys or river city sports?

Duty is not charged by UPS (or any delivery company). Duty is charged by the government.

UPS will charge you brokerage fees if your ship it by ground. They can be costly.

UPS' rates can be found HERE.

You really get shafted if what you ordered has a value of just over $20 CAD.
First, you have to pay GST on it, and any duty that the government applies. Although, if your item is made in North America, there likely won't be any duty, thanks to NAFTA.
Then you have your customs clearance/brokerage fees.
$7.00 Entry prep (paperwork fees)
$5.85 Bond fee (fee for paying the GST to the government for you up front)
$4.25 COD fee (fee for having to collect these fees from you upon delivery)
GST on these fees.

So your $20.01 CAD item you bought has $20 in brokerage fees/taxes.

You can request to clear it yourself through customs, but that does require you to go to the port of entry and file the paperwork. And they are not found in every city.

CanadaBacon 04-04-2009 01:53 AM

I grabbed two Canucks 80's jerseys off Ice Jersey and two pairs of socks. Was a bit more expensive but my total is actual my total.

Thanks Freestyla :handclap:

playbedar 04-04-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo9 (Post 18839064)
Okay, so will Goalie Monkey ship RBK/Reebok equipment to Canada? And does anyone have a factual list of brands they will not ship out to Canada? Thanks

Call them ... last time I asked (02-10-09) these were the brands they couldn't ship:

Warrior
Nike/Bauer
Easton