HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Thoughts and Grade on Sather's deadline (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=60549)

speeds 03-09-2004 05:06 PM

Thoughts and Grade on Sather's deadline???

and near deadline, referring to all the trades involved with this "purge".

Also, how much salary was cleared up through all these trades, anyone know off-hand?

I'd give Sather a pretty good grade here, pretty impressed with all the picks and young players he's picked up. His scouting staff I'm sure had some serious input over the last couple of weeks, here's to hoping for the Rangers that they did their job well.

Edge 03-09-2004 05:13 PM

I'll give Sather an A-minus for the deadline.

I gotta take points off for getting us into this mess in the first place and the fact that i am more than a little suspicious that he dealt with EVERY canadien team in the NHL.

Having said that, this team at least seems serious about setting up a young nucleus and i think the draft will go a long way towards either capping that movement or crapping it.

Park #2 03-09-2004 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speeds
and near deadline, referring to all the trades involved with this "purge".

Also, how much salary was cleared up through all these trades, anyone know off-hand?

I'd give Sather a pretty good grade here, pretty impressed with all the picks and young players he's picked up. His scouting staff I'm sure had some serious input over the last couple of weeks, here's to hoping for the Rangers that they did their job well.

He gets an incomplete.... By default. All these moves have been very good... all of them. But, they will be null unless the Rangers can do some positive things at the draft. They have 6 of the first 60 picks this year and 5 next. They need to turn that into real product.

So, so far A-, let's see in six months.

Laches 03-09-2004 06:03 PM

I'm pleasantly surprised at Sather's moves today, and over the past week. I thought he might unload a couple of guys who wouldn't re-sign here anyway, but I never expected this kind of housecleaning. For someone with a ego that big, it comes as a shock, it's really quite an admission of how horrid the team was that he spent the last 4 years constructing.

Like Edge said, it's been a good week, but you can't really look at that in isolation, it's hard to give him too much credit just yet given how badly he effed things up the past 4 years.

This has been a good start, but my clearing out bad personnel was only that, a start. The real problem has been the country club atmosphere in the organization, where players aren't challenged or held accountable. That's the next, and most important thing, that needs to change.

Larry Melnyk 03-09-2004 06:18 PM

You have to look at this purge in isolation....Yeah, he got us in this situation and he failed. A big FAT F. Somehow he gets to stay in school and now he's repeating the same grade and the marks from last year don't carry over..

First Trimester is done, he gets a solid A in my books. A quibble here and there, but that's it..He has placed this organization back on very solid footing and in a position where every option is just about open (trade ups, trade downs, trade picks and prospects for young veterans, etc. etc.)But all this means nothing if he subsequently flunks the next two trimesters; the coaching hire and the draft/FA/trade period...We shall see

Edge 03-09-2004 06:22 PM

essentially sather did what we've all done in a video game at some point.

he signed a guy, only to trade him for something he couldn't "buy".

when you cut right down to it, that is what Sather has done.

L.I.RangerFan 03-10-2004 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
essentially sather did what we've all done in a video game at some point.

he signed a guy, only to trade him for something he couldn't "buy".

when you cut right down to it, that is what Sather has done.

This last week I felt like I was watching a big EHM game!!!

Jayce 03-10-2004 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speeds
how much salary was cleared up through all these trades, anyone know off-hand?

I read we're down to 44 millions.

I'll give Slats a B+ and he did a good job, but I wish he would have unloaded Mironov, Poti, Messier and Dunham. I'll give him an A- if he gets McGill or Q to coach.

klingsor 03-10-2004 07:58 AM

Can't think of another GM offhand who was allowed to build such a rotton excuse for a team and then auction off some of the better parts of it.

He was lucky because of the possible lockout and teams making a last gasp effort to win the Cup this year. There is nothing to compare it against.

He put us in a position where trading Brian Leetch was almost tolerable, so **** him and **** Dolan.

My guess is that most NHL GMs put in Sather's position this week would have done as good a job or better.

Pearl Necklace 03-10-2004 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
But all this means nothing if he subsequently flunks the next two trimesters; the coaching hire and the draft/FA/trade period...We shall see

Yes, I agree with you here.

Fletch 03-10-2004 08:23 AM

Not sure how to grade him...

yes, the trades should be looked at mutually exclusive of how the team got here, but it is a bit difficult still. The players that he traded were mercenaries and that's why he got a decent return from these guys and that's why the Rangers were able to be the most active. I applaud him for getting the deals done and not getting beat to the punch. I'm relatively happy with the return, with a decent mix of size, skill, nastiness, centers, defensemen, picks and wingers, but it's hard not to think these weren't no-brainers and most players had to go. Obviously Leetch and deVries didn't have to go, but when you're offered a player like Rachunek for deVries, who I thought was decent, not anything great, it's again, hard to say wow. And I won't be convinced that Leetch had to go until I see what he returns. He has 4-5 decent years left in him. He could've been part of a rebuild and would've like to've been part of a rebuild, and he would've been a positive influence on kids coming in (now your positive influence will come from Jagr, Holik and Poti, the three elder statesmen on the team). So I dunno. Maybe once the shock wears off I'll warm up to things more. Now I'm just indifferent.

True Blue 03-10-2004 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
He could've been part of a rebuild and would've like to've been part of a rebuild.

He still can be. IF he chooses to resign here in 2 years. Theoretically, we may only loose him for this year as there probably will not be a next year.
Jackass NEEDS to sign Umberber. I thought that he needed to get rid of Messier and Porta as well. As well as Krispy. If Maladog could have been traded, then surely Bobo could have as well. I could have cared less what our top 6 d-men would have looked like if those trades had gone though.

Sather Hater 03-10-2004 10:08 AM

For the most part I think Sather did a pretty good job (for the first time since he's been here). It was upsetting to see Leetch go, but we got some decent assets back for him, and hopefully he will come back after next year. Still mad about Messier refusing to play elsewhere, and still being here taking up 19 mins of icetime that should be going to one of the younger guys who will be part of our future.

The only real deal I wasn't thrilled with was the Simon trade, I just wonder if he could have gotten more than two mediocre prospects, and a back up goalie (plus we sent a pick to Calgary). I would have rather taken a draft pick in return (3rd?), so at least we can draft our own prospect.

Bluenote13 03-10-2004 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SatherExecutioner
Didn't we get a 2nd ronder as well? And I think Greg Moore is pretty nice 2 way forward prospect who is only 19 I think.

Yeah, wait until he see's Greg Moore play, he'll change his mind, IMO.

Sather Hater 03-10-2004 12:56 PM

No we didn't get any draft picks back from Calgary. It was Simon and a 7th rd pick to Calgary for Mclennan, Betts (who is hurt), and Greg Moore.

I could be wrong, I don't know that much about Moore, and Betts I have never seen them play, so I could be jumping the gun, but from what I read they seem like mediocre pick ups. Moore only has a 4.5 rating on our organizational prospects. I just thought if we could have gotten back say a 3rd rounder it might have been better. But I can't honestly say for sure until I see them in action.

But atleast we got something for Simon who was a UFA after this season. I wouldn't mind signing him again next year though, to replace McCarthy, as our muscle in the line-up.