HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trade Deadline Winners and Losers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=60574)

GKJ 03-09-2004 06:38 PM

Trade Deadline Winners and Losers

Age old question following the trade deadline. Who won, and who lost.

WINNERS

Colorado - added some depth (even though Gratton sucks) to help out their bottom 6, and even though they had to give up Morris, Vaananen is good enough to replace him. They also got a relatively high pick.

New York Rangers - experts call them losers, but I call them winners. They finally dumped all the dead star weight on their team in order to get younger and better faster. They got good returns on all their players.

Washington - also dumped a lot of salary but probably could have gotten a better return. But they still have Kolzig, who still has a contract after the season, so they can also use Kolzig as bait to move up in the draft if they so desire.

Toronto - Despite getting older, they are better and didn't give up a whole lot as far as developing prospects except Kondratiev, but he was on the outs anyways.

Boston and Montreal - made solid deals for solid player(s) that make the team better NOW, a contender, for the first time in years. Kudos to Mike O'Connell and Bob Gainey

Philadelphia - Sure Clarke made a lot of reactionary trades, but the team is better, they still have the core group of prospects they had at the start of the year besides Woywitka and next year's 2nd (which they need to get another of). Plus, they have a few guys coming back from injury.

Detroit - Got a foward they needed in Lang, and got a defenseman that only makes them better in Derian Hatcher. Anytime you get a guy like Hatcher and not give anyone up (because he was injured not on another team)...You Win because you didn't have to do anything to do it.

Small Market Teams - Nashville (Sullivan, Zholtok, Bombadir), Calgary (Nieminen, Nilsson), Ottawa and LA all made great deals to pick up great players who will only help and not hurt the team.

The CBA - The Owners and Players have now discovered that with the firesales of the Rangers and Capitals not only are high salaries unnecessary, they're detromental to the team and successes of other teams such as New Jersey and Vancouver and Calgary.

Marc Bergevin, Peter Bondra and Robert Lang - You guys went from 2 of the worst teams in the league, to two of the top 2 or 3. Congradulations.

LOSERS

Vancouver - With Bertuzzi likely being out a very long time, the Canucks ended up getting 2 guys who will have to replace him as opposed to complimenting him, Marc Bergevin is there simply because he is old and a solid presence. He is an 8th defenseman at best anymore.

New Jersey - still had needs on defense, could have used a backup goalie and watched everyone else get it done. Lou usually pulls something out of his hat, not this year.

Anaheim Mighty Ducks - Did nothing. They didn't get better now, or later. I guess we're supposed to assume that this season was an 82 game preseason for next season.

San Jose - Only made a move to slightly offset the injury to Marco Sturm, when they needed a defenseman and another scorer. Their plan is good, they could have used some help. Not sure if I think they would get out of round 1.

New York Islanders - Couldn't make any moves to show they're as good as the 7 teams ahead of them (I feel Montreal is just as good as the 6 teams ahead of them). By the time we heard from them it was for a player who almost had his name legally changed by Blackhawks fans, a shell of his former self. Maybe Mad Mike isn't so mad anymore, or he just waits for the draft. They will get Yashin back though, which will be like a trade, but their situation is far different than Detroit's.

Mike Comrie, Derek Morris, Jim Vandermeer and Chris McAllister - You guys went from two of the best teams in the league, to two of the worst. Sucks for you guys.

Chicago Blackhawk fans - At least you're not the Rangers or Caps.

The NHLPA - What leverage do you have in a labor dispute when two of the richest teams in the league just held firesales. Soon 30 NHL teams will shun the players who want $8 million a year and say they can't afford to have anything more than a character team. Salary Cap or not, you big paycheck days are numbered.

Jaromir Jagr - You went from one bad team to another just as bad.

Bruce Garrioch - You silly goose.

officeglen 03-09-2004 06:50 PM

Quote:

Washington - also dumped a lot of salary but probably could have gotten a better return. They still have Kolzig, who still has a contract after the season, so they can also use Kolzig as bait to move up in the draft if they so desire.
The time to move Kolzig was today. On draft day, they will not be able to use him "as bait", as nobody will know when the next season will be, or what the new CBA will look like, but everybody will know what $12+M looks like.

GKJ 03-09-2004 06:55 PM

let me edit my post to better illistrate what I mean to say :)

Stuy 03-09-2004 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson

Losers

Hey we won the Karpotsev trade. A bag of pucks was good enough we got a 4th rounder for that slug!

Brock 03-09-2004 06:56 PM

I think the Rangers did an outstanding job with every single one of their trades.

The complete overhaul was long overdue and they did a very good job with it now that it happened. They got some good young players back (who will help next season) and some good prospects as well.

It's kind of weird saying Good Job Glen Sather for a change.

Habs4ever 03-09-2004 07:00 PM

Colorado is sore loser from this whole year!!

they have been able to trade away most of their prospects for nothing more then depth, Knowing they got Kariya, Selanne for free, They pretty much sold their future for next to nothing, their core is still what they had last year excluding Roy, so they add third and fourth liners in a quest for a stanly cup, wow I though their GM was smarter then this.

nikolai19 03-09-2004 07:02 PM

I think that Phoenix is a winner.

The Hrdina for Rupp deal will come back to haunt NJ. I think Rupp will be a very solid player and he is going to have plenty of young talent around him to learn the game with. Put him with Comrie and someone like Doan, Nagy, or Johnson next year and he's going to put up numbers.

Gratton and Vaannanen for Morris and Ballard is a great trade for both teams. I think it really solidifes Phoenix with some really good young d-men though with the likes of Mara, Tanabe, Morris, etc. Suchy and Hulse round out a decent top 5 and Ballard is going to be an NHL defenseman very soon.

Comrie for Burke and Radovojevic is a decent deal as well. Burke was expendable and everyone knew it. Comrie will have great years to come with Phoenix.

All this and I'm a Kings fan for Jesus' sake...so let's get to that.

I think LA did well by getting Dempsey, who can play top 4 minutes if need be, and will be surrounded with better d-men than he was in Chi-town. Miller is coming back tonight against PHO, and Visnovsky should be healthy by next weekend. Their defense is solid once again.

Carter and Cowan for Aulin and Brennan, well...Carter for Aulin is a draw. I think Andy Murray will light a fire under Carter and get him to be a good player again that can score close to 30 goals. Aulin is a terrific young prospect and if he stays healthy will be a very good player in Washington. Personally, I think Cowan for Brennan is plain robbery. Cowan is a great third line type of guy, who can score and be tough if need be. Brennan, could never quite crack the lineup because he has ver limited skills. He fights like a monster, but he isn't great with the puck. I think the Cowan deal will go down as LA's best deal at the deadline.

not quite yoda 03-09-2004 07:04 PM

Quote:

[New York Islanders - Couldn't make any moves to show they're as good as the 7 teams ahead of them (I feel Montreal is just as good as the 6 teams ahead of them).

The NHLPA - What leverage do you have in a labor dispute when two of the richest teams in the league just held firesales. Soon 30 NHL teams will shun the players who want $8 million a year and say they can't afford to have anything more than a character team. Salary Cap or not, you big paycheck days are numbered.

-Montreal has been proving lately that they are clearly superiour to the current non-playoff teams. However, they have yet to proove that they can win consistantly vs the top teams in the league. 4 of their next 5 games are against Toronto, New Jersey and Colorrado. If they can get 2 wins in those 4 games, then IMO they are for real. But if they can't hack it against these teams, their playoff run ought to be short.

-I disagree. With the firesales, I think that NYR and WSH fans have something to look forward to: a very busy draft and lots of new young guns who will challenge imediately for spots. What do CHG fans have tolook forward to? Has anything changed for them? No. They stink and will continue to stink for the foreseeable future.

-WSH's big spending days are over. NYR's are over for the time being... until they begin to challenge again. But if there is no Cap, there are still plenty of "Big" teams willing to throw money at the NHLPA. Toronto will continue to go nuts. Dido for Philadelphia and Detroit. Colorrado, Dallas, Ottawa, St. Louis and company will do what it takes to keep up.

It's sad that a team from Toronto may end up driving teams from Edmonton and Calgary out of the league... at least if things remain the same-they will.

jincargo 03-09-2004 07:06 PM

Winner: The Caps actually took some risks for once in getting Aulin and Klepis and didnt really lose much in return....Carter and Grier who will both be FA at the end of the season. Yes they lost the current leadership and veteran presence of those two...but the return could outweight the loss in the end.

If Aulin and Klepis both pan out....to go with the other players we currently have in the system...things will be a lot brighter for the near future of the Capitals.

McDonald19 03-09-2004 07:09 PM

Quote:

Anaheim Mighty Ducks - Did nothing. They didn't get better now, or later. I guess we're supposed to assume that this season was an 82 game preseason for next season.

Basically Murray felt this was an off year and Giguere was starting to return to form, so why make big changes???

also Murray was listening to offers, waiting to hear of a GM willing to overpay...it didn't happen so he was ok with not making any deals.

officeglen 03-09-2004 07:11 PM

I think the clear winners were teams that signed UFA top 4 D in the off-season to semi-reasonable contracts, or traded not too much to obtain the same. Then at the trade deadline the team can either keep them, and not have to trade for more D, like Detroit with Hatcher, or can move them for future assets, like in the Sydor and De Vries deals. It was very hard for teams to move forwards and picks only to get real top 4 D this last month, and one has to congratulate Tampa on a very smart transaction.

DaveG 03-09-2004 07:18 PM

Can Jim Rutherford count in both categories?

Winner: Got Justin Williams in return for Danny Markov when it became apparent that Carolina wasn't going to make the playoffs.
Got a marginal prospect and a 3rd for Boughner... who was acquired for a 6th in the first place if I'm not mistaken.

Loser: Wasn't able to work out a deal with the Devils on Sean Hill. Got little return in a classy move trading Francis to a contender.

HughJass* 03-09-2004 07:19 PM

Quote:

WINNERS

New York Rangers - experts call them losers, but I call them winners. They finally dumped all the dead star weight on their team in order to get younger and better faster. They got good returns on all their players.

LOSERS

I agree with you on New York wholeheartedly, but I disagree with you on Anaheim. I don't think they needed to do anything. Prospal and Fedorov took a long time getting it in gear. Just change some pieces over the summer, then they should be set. No need to rush and make changes now, especially since no one knows how the new CBA and rule changes dictates what/how rosters need to be addressed.

Biggest Loser for me was the Canes. Colorado and Toronto definitely needed a goalie but we are stuck with Irbe. Not a bad thing, but he makes way too much money to be a backup. Sean Hill should not be re-signed in the off season, so I'm pissed he's not traded. Brind a'mour's and Hedican's contracts are imovable, but Hedican actually deserves to be here. Rod isn't the same guy...because of injuries and personal issues. He's never been a big offensive guy since he's been here, but maybe that can attributed to his linemates. Whatever..the situation is a mess over here.

We should have never trusted Rutherford since he let Gary Roberts walk. I really want to put my foot up his ass right now.

ArtG 03-09-2004 07:35 PM

Quote:

LOSERS

Vancouver - With Bertuzzi likely being out a very long time, the Canucks ended up getting 2 guys who will have to replace him as opposed to complimenting him, Marc Bergevin is there simply because he is old and a solid presence. He is an 8th defenseman at best anymore.

First of all, this doesn't have anything to do with the trading deadline. I don't see how Bertuzzi's suspension makes the Canucks losers at the deadline. As for Bergevin, that's all the Canucks were looking for - they don't need a top-4 (or even 6) defenceman.

GKJ 03-09-2004 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtG
First of all, this doesn't have anything to do with the trading deadline. I don't see how Bertuzzi's suspension makes the Canucks losers at the deadline. As for Bergevin, that's all the Canucks were looking for - they don't need a top-4 (or even 6) defenceman.

Quite simple, I think when I explained it. It went from filling holes left by Arvedson, to filling holes left by Bertuzzi and they're some big shoes to fill. It makes a significant difference, and possibly could have affected how Brian Burke did his dealings today.

incawg 03-09-2004 07:54 PM

Dallas to me was the biggest loser of the trade deadline. Therien and Val Bure? Did anyone see Bure in the playoffs last year? He was beyond terrible.

Fan-of-#9 03-09-2004 07:55 PM

I'm insulted by the fact you didn't mention the Sabres...don't worry so did every network who covered the Trade Deadline.

BS.

Regier did very well....hello? can anybody hear me?

Old Hickory 03-09-2004 07:56 PM

Very good job GKJ!

behindgreeneyes 03-09-2004 07:59 PM

The Islanders have to be the losers of this year's version of the trade deadline. Geeze Mike, even Buffalo made something! Also I really don't like the idea for Vancouver to have Dan Cloutier has the starting goalie for the playoffs, but that's just me.

For me, this year's winners are Boston and Nashville.

But i guess we will see the real answer in the playoffs.

BruinFan42 03-09-2004 08:00 PM

I thought the Islanders were big losers. I would have thought Milbury would have pulled some extravagent deal like last year, especially with his team not playing well right now and the Sabres adding to their roster.

Buffalo could still make a charge for that #8 spot now.

BlueAndWhite 03-09-2004 08:13 PM

Quote:

Toronto - Despite getting older, they are better and didn't give up a whole lot as far as developing prospects except Kondratiev, but he was on the outs anyways.

I agree with your assesment of Toronto in the fact that they *can be deemed as winners but I have two points of contention

1.) I think the fact that the Leafs didn't lose any roster players in their trades/
acquisitions is what really improves their "rating" in this assessment. They added Leetch, Francis and Johansson (possibly) but they still have the likes of Pilar, Marchment, Renberg etc for depth purposes.

2.) The Leafs did lose a first, which regardless of the fact that it may be really low and in a "supposed" weak draft - still has significant value. As well, Kondratiev was never on the "outs" with the team. He exercised a clause in his contract. A contract that the Toronto Maple Leafs organization agreed to. Simple as that. Kondratiev did not "quit" on the team (here's looking at YOU, Glen Healy)

habsfan9 03-09-2004 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinFan42
I thought the Islanders were big losers. I would have thought Milbury would have pulled some extravagent deal like last year, especially with his team not playing well right now and the Sabres adding to their roster.

Buffalo could still make a charge for that #8 spot now.

i thik buffalo has the overall skill 2 make take that last spot, i hope they do, i dont like the islanders 2 much

i thik the habs are big winners, they got a hard working center in jim dowd, who wants 2 re establish himself in the nhl, he will be very valuable in the stretch and even more in the playoffs

kovalev will play with souray on the point, arguably the best duo in the league, 2 incredible shots and kovalev can also play around with the puck, he will also make noise with koivu and zednik, and the league will finally se that they could be one of the top trios in the league, we'll c in april

:rolly: :dunno:

Foppa 03-09-2004 08:14 PM

Interesting...most people either think Lacroix was drinking heavily or that he did a solid job. Just goes to show you how opinion can vary from player to player.

He obviously gave up a lot of pretty solid prospects from what was already one of the worst systems in the NHL (I think we ended up on the plus side with draft picks though). And you could say that in pretty much all of his deals, he overpaid. Then again, a lot of teams were probably overpaying today to get what they wanted. Hnidy for a third? Enough said. It doesn't make it a bad trade but in might turn out to be bad asset management...and Colorado pretty much has taken on the most of those kind of trades in the last 24 hours.

I do like the overall make up of the team a lot now though. With a potential third line of Konowalchuk-Gratton-Barnaby and some good role players like Nikolishin and Hinote now moved down the depth chart - the Avs have more depth now than they have had since the '96 season. Plus with Barnaby and Gratton in the fold, the Avs will have added a lot more grit and some size. (Again...I do agree with those that Gratton is mostly fool's gold, but on a Colorado team desparate for some size down the middle, I think he's a solid addition if taken for what he is and not what he should be).

Meanwhile, Vaananen is not going to have the ultimate two-way upside of Morris, but he's going to add a lot of size and strength to the blueline as well. I have always loved Ossi and he's one for now and the future. When Boughner gets healthy, the Avs will be able to throw out quite a physical and dependable defense consisting of Blake, Foote, Vaananen, Skrastins, and Boughner with Liles adding some pizzaz and Sauer being a better #7 than we've had for some time (not saying much - I know, but McAllister...D.J. Smith...Brett Clark? You get the idea). The Avs d-guard is second in the league in goals scored and while it might fall back a couple spots swapping Morris for Vaananen, Blake, Liles, and Foote should continue to provide solid firepower.

Salo was the weakest move of the lot. I hope Aebischer doesn't get hurt. He's better than Sauve and can be solid when he gets hot. But I don't want to depend on a streaky veteran who seems to have left his best days in the past in the playoffs. Abby has earned the shot and now he is going to face the pressure to do what few young goalies can do.

I don't like sugarcoating things. Ballard being dealt hurts. He's a stud in college and has often, and ironically, drawn comparisons to Derek Morris. He's got a ways to go, but he was the Avs' ONE true bluechipper. And now like many others, he's been dealt.

Gilbert is highly underrated and part of the reason I don't like the Salo deal. He's had two great seasons for the Badgers and looks to have an NHL future.

And Morris - Morris still has the potential to be a top pairing, all-around stud and he may get a better chance to shine in Phoenix. He played great in Calgary, on a poor team, as a youngster, so I think he is an ideal guy for Phoenix to build around, along with Mara and Tanabe. They could have quite an explosive defensive in very short order and Morris and Ballard could be two of the key components. Morris was truly not having a good season in Colorado but he has all the tools, is a good guy, and there is no reason to assume this is anything more than just a down season for him.

There's my $0.02. At the very least, we can all agree deadline day is more interesting with PL in the league.

ohlund2.2 03-09-2004 09:27 PM

I don't see how Bertuzzi's actions makes Vancouver a 'loser' at the deadline.

Rucinsky and Sanderson are both proven scorers, and we needed scoring depth. If Bert comes back for the playoffs, we're as good as anyone imo.

Bergevin is there as a 7th dman.

leafaholix* 03-09-2004 09:33 PM

The New York Rangers did a fine job over the last couple weeks.

They're finally rebuilding.