HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   OT: CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part IV (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=605919)

Samkow 02-10-2009 09:08 PM

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part IV

3 goals = chili 02-10-2009 09:12 PM

i'll bring my question over here

Is anybody going to go to the USA-MEX game tomorrow at Columbus Crew Stadium?

DJAnimosity 02-10-2009 09:16 PM

Not going due to the outrageous ticket prices, but I'll be watching at home.

3 goals = chili 02-10-2009 09:24 PM

i'm hoping that the wind holds off so my dvr can actually record the game let alone me watching it....

kidAcbj 02-10-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJAnimosity (Post 17850186)

same but I'm extremely excited for it. should be a really great atmosphere

DJAnimosity 02-10-2009 10:09 PM

The vibe around town tomorrow should be crazy, about 20,000 amped up, drunken ******** are going to be roaming the streets.

CBJmeser61 02-10-2009 11:05 PM

I managed a free ticket to the game tomorrow because a couple good friends of mine had an extra. I am so pumped for the game! :yo:

LaCosta Nostra 02-11-2009 08:10 AM

What time's the game?

DJAnimosity 02-11-2009 09:31 AM

Kick off is 7:00 p.m.

On another note, Sven Goran Eriksson (Mexico coach) doesn't think it's fair that Mexico has to play in Columbus:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/blog/sow...urn=sow,140596

This is extremely funny, considering Mexico has one of the greatest home-field advantages in the world, playing at 7,500 feet in unrelenting heat and thick pollution, not to mention 115,000 Mexicans throwing batteries, feces, and bags of piss at you all game.

dru 02-11-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJAnimosity (Post 17856701)
not to mention 115,000 Mexicans throwing batteries, feces, and bags of piss at you all game.

Just stop.... you're starting to make me actually want to watch soccer. :laugh:

Kev22 02-11-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJAnimosity (Post 17856701)
Kick off is 7:00 p.m.

On another note, Sven Goran Eriksson (Mexico coach) doesn't think it's fair that Mexico has to play in Columbus:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/blog/sow...urn=sow,140596

This is extremely funny, considering Mexico has one of the greatest home-field advantages in the world, playing at 7,500 feet in unrelenting heat and thick pollution, not to mention 115,000 Mexicans throwing batteries, feces, and bags of piss at you all game.

I think I've been on the record as saying I don't like soccer, but guess what if the US is to play host to this game and they get to choose where the game's played, and they picked Columbus, then so be it. That's why it's called HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE. If you're used to playing in hot, miserable weather and you have to come north, you damn skippy that I'm going to make you play in an ice box. They're lucky the weather is like it is today. So quit *****in' and suck it up and play. Keeping with the soccer theme, did he make his comment and then act like he got shot and fake an injury? :sarcasm:

DJAnimosity 02-11-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev22 (Post 17856957)
If you're used to playing in hot, miserable weather and you have to come north, you damn skippy that I'm going to make you play in an ice box. They're lucky the weather is like it is today. So quit *****in' and suck it up and play.

True, Mexico lucked out a bit, but the weather may turn to **** right at game time. 60 MPH winds, severe storms, and temps dropping dramatically into the 30s oughta make em fold like a house of cards. :nod:

DJAnimosity 02-11-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dru (Post 17856935)
Just stop.... you're starting to make me actually want to watch soccer. :laugh:

Arace has a good article today talking about the conditions the US usually has to play in in Mexico, or anywhere in Latin America, for that matter.

http://dispatch.com/live/content/spo...M.html?sid=101

Good quote from the Crew's own Frankie Hejduk on playing in Guatemala:

Quote:

"I remember this one game in Guatemala," Hejduk said. "They put us up at a hotel in the middle of nowhere and a giant van rolls up from a radio station, and they set up these speakers as big as skyscrapers right in the street in front of our hotel. They cranked up the music and people partied out there all night long. The sound was like an aircraft engine with a Latin beat. All night long. These people are so intense. They will do anything to make the World Cup."

pete goegan 02-11-2009 10:21 AM

I'm not much of a fan, either, but I'll be watching because it's two natural rivals, including my "home team," playing in my home town!

KeithBWhittington 02-11-2009 10:36 AM

I'm not really a soccer fan, but it seems like there is one of these matches at Crew stadium every year...

DJAnimosity 02-11-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington (Post 17857811)
I'm not really a soccer fan, but it seems like there is one of these matches at Crew stadium every year...

Nope, only every 4 years for World Cup qualifying. They are a big deal, so maybe that's why they seem more frequent...

cbjgirl 02-11-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 goals = chili (Post 17850065)
i'll bring my question over here

Is anybody going to go to the USA-MEX game tomorrow at Columbus Crew Stadium?

Keep an eye out for these guys...

Quote:

-- Torres played his best game in about three weeks, contributing a primary assist. Torres, who is of Mexican descent, will be attending Wednesday's USA-Mexico World Cup qualifier at Crew Stadium. No question where Torres loyalties lie. Torres, Voracek, Klesla and Fedor Tyutin are expected to attend. "I'm pretty pumped up. This is the first time I've seen the national team play live."
http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2009/02/game_no_54_1.shtml

DJAnimosity 02-11-2009 11:58 AM

I knew there was a reason I didn't like Torres...:laugh:

On a side note, I just discovered that the Mexican national team has been training for the past week at a park about 100 feet from my house. Opportunity missed!!! :rant:

mossylog 02-11-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJAnimosity (Post 17850186)

the ticket prices are ridiculous. i went to the prior two against mexico and i can't believe the price hike since then. but we are taking what it would cost for one ticket and having a big party at my house. wings,pizza,beer. and i just purchased a 42" hdtv to watch it so we are going to cheer on our own. we should win this one, mexico hasnt' played very well lately.:handclap:

DJAnimosity 02-11-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mossylog (Post 17860264)
the ticket prices are ridiculous. i went to the prior two against mexico and i can't believe the price hike since then. but we are taking what it would cost for one ticket and having a big party at my house. wings,pizza,beer. and i just purchased a 42" hdtv to watch it so we are going to cheer on our own. we should win this one, mexico hasnt' played very well lately.:handclap:

Good idea - just got a 42" HDTV fairly recently myself, so I will be relaxed in the non-windy, non-rainy conditions of my living room watching the boys as well.

I guarantee that Sven gets sacked if Mexico loses tonight.

mossylog 02-11-2009 01:24 PM

do you think that concacaf gets a little more respect, because sven couldn't get it done with mexico and is finding out its a little difficult to qualify then what i imagine most of europe thinks?

DJAnimosity 02-11-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mossylog (Post 17860758)
do you think that concacaf gets a little more respect, because sven couldn't get it done with mexico and is finding out its a little difficult to qualify then what i imagine most of europe thinks?

Possibly - although I think it's more down to Sven being a rather poor coach, personally speaking. I knew from the start that Sven's boring and vanilla style of play would never fly in Latin America. Hell, it didn't even fly in England. His style renders games nearly unwatchable.

But indeed the "bigger names" in CONCACAF (US, Honduras, Trinidad, Costa Rica) are getting better, while Mexico is floundering.

3 goals = chili 02-11-2009 03:13 PM

the rain and wind have started in Grandview...

should be interesting considering theres a Tornado warning till 9 pm tonight.

although the storm should move through central ohio rather quickly

Double-Shift Lassť 02-11-2009 03:13 PM

Out of town USA fans and lots of Mexico fans all over downtown late morning early afternoon. And the TV trucks were lined up at the stadium when I drove past at 10:30.

Exciting.

DEF 02-11-2009 03:18 PM

Who is the home team?